Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Edgecrusher

Re: Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix

Post by Edgecrusher »

Yes, yes. I don't have to do google searches for that pic because it's on page 3 or 4 of this thread and is exactly why I am asking. lol A write-up is made and details are left out whether intentionally or by accident so I ask questions.

Maybe I'm just seeing it differently. Do you see 10 connected with 5 which is obviously supposed to be connected to 6,7,and 8? I don't.

When I get home I'll have to check to see if those are all shorted together on the modular vga connector I have for this project or if I need to put some jumpers in between those pins. Maybe it's why my sync isn't quite right?

I appreciate your replies Syntax even though your a PIMA. I respect the value of figuring out stuff on your own.
mgerety wrote:BA-5D Chassis Mod

Step 3 - Wire up VGA and Blanking Switch
Wired up VGA and Blanking Switch to rear panel.
VGA Pin1 - Red
VGA Pin2 - Green
VGA Pin3 - Blue
VGS Pin5 - GND
VGA Pin 13 - HSync
VGA Pin 14 - VSync

The CSync from the MOD board output gets wired to an RCA cable and fed in through Video 1.
For the blanking switch, attach two wires to an SPST switch, and add a 2200 ohm resistor inline on the wire on the outside leg of the switch.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

5,6,7,8,10. Clear as day.

You need to plug your PC into a PC monitor and make sure there is no picture, if there is one you are feeding 31k into you TV and will damage the sync circuit most probably.

If you are indeed outputting 15k csync then you have not blanked your set correctly obviously from the pictures you show of RGB but no sync.
Its been explained how to properly blank and mod this set in detail step by step hardware and software sides.

This is why I say get a known working 15k RGB source and test that, how hard is it to find a crappy snes or PS1 and use that?
I have a dusty SNES I use for all these mods/tests
Edgecrusher

Post by Edgecrusher »

Well nothing i do changes anything. Im starting to think my gpu is not working right.
Edgecrusher

Post by Edgecrusher »

Spoke too soon. I managed to get a stable sync. Oddly enough im using the Csync circuit but not enabling it in the software. Also, i had to use the NTSC 60hz setting. So im not 15khz. Scratching my head atm.
Edgecrusher

Post by Edgecrusher »

This is where I sit. The frame is starting about a third too low and after adjusting the service menu I still have a portion of the left side that won't display.
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

Edgecrusher wrote:I appreciate your replies Syntax even though your a PIMA. I respect the value of figuring out stuff on your own.
ha! You're not the first person who thinks Syntax is a pain in the arse, won't be the last either.
Edgecrusher wrote:Also, i had to use the NTSC 60hz setting. So im not 15khz. Scratching my head atm.
If your TV is working, you're running 15Khz.

"Imagine toggle switch OSD modding a TV in 2019" - maxtherabbit
Edgecrusher

Post by Edgecrusher »

Just an update. I got it working good now. I have to learn about setting up the resolutions and the software now. The whole problem was the sync mixing circuit. I tried getting fancy and it was a waste of time. Just twist resistors together and call it a day.
black lines from the camera theyre not really there

Now to build a cabinet for this beast
Edgecrusher

Post by Edgecrusher »

Syntax wrote:5,6,7,8,10. Clear as day.

You need to plug your PC into a PC monitor and make sure there is no picture, if there is one you are feeding 31k into you TV and will damage the sync circuit most probably.

If you are indeed outputting 15k csync then you have not blanked your set correctly obviously from the pictures you show of RGB but no sync.
Its been explained how to properly blank and mod this set in detail step by step hardware and software sides.

This is why I say get a known working 15k RGB source and test that, how hard is it to find a crappy snes or PS1 and use that?
I have a dusty SNES I use for all these mods/tests
Yes that would have helped! I had a lot going on in my build. It woulda been nice to have a know working source to go by.
Thank you for the help
DotMatrixMoe

Post by DotMatrixMoe »

Hey I'd just like to mention that if you are testing the RGB mod with CRT Emudriver, wiring H-Sync from VGA to Sync on any cable (20 on SCART, yellow lead on RGBS) will work as well. As long C-Sync is enabled in VM Maker (WITH BOTH SYNC POLARITIES POSITIVE). Even my 4300 HD series does fine with it enabled.
Peppy Hare

Actually it's an aileron roll.
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

So i just snagged a Panasonic WV-CM2000 monitor for £20 (bargains still do exist i guess)........

but the best video input is S-Video sadly, this monitor doesn't have an OSD however and i have no schematics for the main board, can monitors which don't have an OSD still be modded for RGB??
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

lettuce wrote:So i just snagged a Panasonic WV-CM2000 monitor for £20 (bargains still do exist i guess)........

but the best video input is S-Video sadly, this monitor doesn't have an OSD however and i have no schematics for the main board, can monitors which don't have an OSD still be modded for RGB??
Depends on the circuitry. Find a schematic or open her up and take a heap of photos, get the chip numbers and start looking for datasheets.

DJtheGamer

Post by DJtheGamer »

Had anyone modded a KV-20S41 before?
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

DJtheGamer wrote:Had anyone modded a KV-20S41 before?
Got a chassis number?

MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

DJtheGamer wrote:Had anyone modded a KV-20S41 before?
Your set is a Sony BA-4 chassis.

The basic process for the RGB will be to remove R086, R087 and R088 and then input your 75 ohm terminated external RGB through the OSD Mux resistors.

The set has inline resistors R025, R026 and R027 of value 5.6K ohms, the mux resistors that match these are 910 ohm. (or you could remove the R025/26/27 and replace with values that John use in linked post below)

For blanking take 5V send it through a 1K resistor onto the leg of Diode DD03 that is closest to the IC001.

It seems that it is very similar to the BA-4D mod. You can find details about it here....

John M Sony BA-4D OSD RGB Mux Mod

RustyCable

Post by RustyCable »

Finally made the jump from lurker to Shmups member. Looks like I got lucky and nailed it 1st shot! I'm floored how well the picture looks on my triple bypassed Genesis VA7! :shock: Camera just doesn't do it justice at all. (spoilers to keep from hogging the page :lol: )
Spoiler
Spoiler
BuraBure

Post by BuraBure »

Got it working first try on my 29" fv310!ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

A couple of more sets saved from the dreaded OSD snip. Love it!

jardelito

Post by jardelito »

After a long time of researching, I got a Sony Trinitron KV-25FV12A (BA-5) TV and installed the RGB MOD with OSD Mix. :mrgreen:
I'm in Brazil, but this TV model was sold in Argentina.

Removed the original jumpers and installed 1n4148 resistors on each one.
Red: JW1337 / Green: JW1336 / Blue: JW1335
Installed the wires in their colors, and installed the screen/shield of the cable in a grounding point to avoid interference.
Spoiler

Removed resistors R1086, R1085 and R1084.
Spoiler

Simple Blanking Circuit, I got 5v from the CN2001, I used the 2k2 resistor and through a switch I soldered the wire to the diode D1012.
The grounding used the respective pin of the CN1003
Spoiler
According to the MOD OSD Mix table, the resistors of the RGB lines have a value of 6k8, I installed the recommended value for the 1k3 resistor (with diode). I also installed the 75R resistors according to the diagram on the ground of the TV. For sync, I'm using Csync from Snes and Mega Drive. I installed it on the Luma pin of the S-video. (their scart cables have a 330r resistor on the csync line).
Spoiler

In my first test, it worked. Unfortunately I noticed the reduced colors, more brighter image and slightly shifted to the left. (in my service I tried some adjustments, but in the colors I could not increase more).
I didn't take pictures with the OSD on the screen, but it's working.
Spoiler

Questions

What can be done to increase the color gain without having to change the service menu?

In the OSD Mux V2 tutorial, it would be necessary to change the SMD 805 capacitors (C1310, C1341 and C1342) near the Jungle Chip in the RGB lines, for others with values of 100nf. I didn't. What is the difference in continuing to use the factory ones (0.01)?

Some traditional Menu functions don't work: Brightness, Colors, Sharpness and Clear Edge VM. Is there any way to make them work again?

Thank you MarkOZLAD for the study you shared. :D
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

jardelito wrote:Some traditional Menu functions don't work: Brightness, Colors, Sharpness and Clear Edge VM. Is there any way to make them work again?
This is because the RGB bypasses the parts of the jungle chip that these effect. If you look at the block diagram of the jungle chip you can see this. Technically they are still working but have no effect on the RGB image.

jardelito

Post by jardelito »

MarkOZLAD wrote:
jardelito wrote:Some traditional Menu functions don't work: Brightness, Colors, Sharpness and Clear Edge VM. Is there any way to make them work again?
This is because the RGB bypasses the parts of the jungle chip that these effect. If you look at the block diagram of the jungle chip you can see this. Technically they are still working but have no effect on the RGB image.
Thanks for the answer.

Another question:

In the OSD Mux V2 tutorial, it would be necessary to change the SMD 805 capacitors (C1310, C1341 and C1342) near the Jungle Chip in the RGB lines, for others with values of 100nf. I didn't. What is the difference in continuing to use the factory ones (0.01)?
Rodotech

Post by Rodotech »

Hello, I made the mod to my sony KV-29FA210 chassis BA5D. I have synchronization problems when I want to use a pc with crt emudriver, especially with the super resolution cores midway mk3, I have a mister fpga and with it there is no synchronism problem.
I put resistance of 1k to each line of Hpos and Vpos.
no pc configuration problem since i connect it to another tv with rgb mod and it works perfectly

8bitForLife

Post by 8bitForLife »

anyone in bay area or in-between Tahoe Reno Carson city who i could drive to and take my tv to get modded?

Maybe possibly recapped?
Ryeno

Post by Ryeno »

jardelito wrote:
MarkOZLAD wrote:
Thanks for the answer.

Another question:

Capacitors act like resistors in AC circuits. At 15.7kHZ, a 0.01uF capacitor has an impedance/reactance of 1k. A 0.1uf Capacitor has an impedance of 100 ohms. So you've added an extra 900 ohms of resistance to the signal making the image slightly dimmer.
matt

Post by matt »

FWIW, I've tried both 0.1uF and the original 0.01uF caps and couldn't see a visible difference.
8bitForLife

Post by 8bitForLife »

anyway i can send the guts to get modded by someone here whos done it?
spikespiegel

Post by spikespiegel »

Have anyone tried with a KV-34FS13B and could inform the proper resistor values?