CPS2 B boards, original roms, no battery.... no problem!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Supergun

Re: CPS2 B boards, original roms, no battery.... no problem!

Post by Supergun »

Please forgive me for asking a few newb CPS2 questions here, as I think I know the answers, but I’d like 100% confirmation on them.

So this past week, I was reorganizing my CPS2 boards, and I sadly discovered that my original USA blue B board ECO Fighters board suicided. Now I read through this entire thread, and I understand that different gamers/collectors have different preferences on what methods they use for these situations. For me, my personal preference is removing (eliminating) the battery and reprogramming the required EPROMs. However, here is where I am stuck.

I don’t want my data on my EPROMs to be “modified phoenixed data”. Rather, I want it to be original data (or decrypted data); as I believe it’s called. (I don’t want my title screen saying: “PHOENIX ROM” or “CPS SHOCK” or “RAZ” etc.) And so my question is, (as I believe another team recently decrypted all the CPS2 rom data but did so without modifying it as such), WHERE can this data be obtained so that people like me can simply download the rom files & reprogram our eproms for our suicided boards?

Since I also have 3 or 4 original battery boards, as well as several phoenixed boards, with which I would like to also change to my preference as well. Thanks in advance.
The word impossible can only be found in a dictionary of fools.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

If you want to stick with original, why not do the nano key writer method as described here, or a infinikey? That way, keep it all original, no reprogramming, no removing the original stickers.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Supergun

Post by Supergun »

I understand what your saying. And I appreciate the reply. But I have a difference of opinion on the subject. Firstly, with proper procedure, the eprom stickers can be carefully peeled up with little or no damage, and then reapplied after the EPROMs are erased & reprogrammed. Secondly, I personally don’t like having an aftermarket piggyback board mounted inside there; which is far less “original” then simply modifying the eprom data.

I’m not saying that I dislike every example of aftermarket mod which involves repairing, replacing, or attaching components to an original board. Far from it. Examples such as the Konami sound modules & the pac-man sync busses are perfectly fine by me. But in this case, it just doesn’t feel or look right to me. The Capcom “data encryption” was specifically implemented & utilized as a “security feature”. It has nothing to do with the original designers & programmers of these games. Their data was, in essence, “chopped up” into pieces and thus made “incomplete” on purpose, and then bridged back together by this so called decryption key. Therefore, the original data IS the original data. And thus removing this “useless and unrelated task” of separating & joining the data, and merely having it all together from the get go, is actually not a “modification” at all. Again, the original data is the original data.

I don’t want a dangerous battery that has to be checked & replaced. And I don’t want a non factory auxiliary board that attaches to the original board. And I don’t want a rom patch that modifies the on screen text and/or gives credit to someone who didn’t actually work on the game. What I do want, is the original data that runs the game properly and as was intended by the programmers.
The word impossible can only be found in a dictionary of fools.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Supergun wrote:I understand what your saying. And I appreciate the reply. But I have a difference of opinion on the subject. Firstly, with proper procedure, the eprom stickers can be carefully peeled up with little or no damage, and then reapplied after the EPROMs are erased & reprogrammed. Secondly, I personally don’t like having an aftermarket piggyback board mounted inside there; which is far less “original” then simply modifying the eprom data.

I’m not saying that I dislike every example of aftermarket mod which involves repairing, replacing, or attaching components to an original board. Far from it. Examples such as the Konami sound modules & the pac-man sync busses are perfectly fine by me. But in this case, it just doesn’t feel or look right to me. The Capcom “data encryption” was specifically implemented & utilized as a “security feature”. It has nothing to do with the original designers & programmers of these games. Their data was, in essence, “chopped up” into pieces and thus made “incomplete” on purpose, and then bridged back together by this so called decryption key. Therefore, the original data IS the original data. And thus removing this “useless and unrelated task” of separating & joining the data, and merely having it all together from the get go, is actually not a “modification” at all. Again, the original data is the original data.

I don’t want a dangerous battery that has to be checked & replaced. And I don’t want a non factory auxiliary board that attaches to the original board. And I don’t want a rom patch that modifies the on screen text and/or gives credit to someone who didn’t actually work on the game. What I do want, is the original data that runs the game properly and as was intended by the programmers.
Well the avalaunch roms are decrypted roms, not encrypted. So, you either get battery+original code, key writer+original code, or no battery/no key writer+non-original code. Thought you said you wanted original code, but maybe I mis-read. Any which way, best of luck!