UltraHDMI group-buy ROUND 7 - 2021-01-30 UPDATE

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Tubo

Re: UltraHDMI group-buy ROUND 7 - accepting participants

Post by Tubo »

I knew it was inevitable that Dan would put an N64 Digital together, but didn't think it'd be this quick. I highly doubt UltraHDMI will have much demand anymore given the supply is so spotty and Dan/Chris/Woozle have a good history of product development, availability, and support.
dryja123

Post by dryja123 »

Also wanted to point out that Dan has a long established history of releasing these kits with multiple video outputs. I don’t think his kit would have an RGB offering but I would imagine it would still support RGB mods.

This is a big day. I can’t wait!
MiRIr

Post by MiRIr »

https://www.pixelfx.co/

It does include RGB/YPbPr out, so I don't see a reason to wait for UltraHDMI v2 anymore, honestly. UltraHDMI v2 might be a little cheaper than N64Digital if PS1Digital is anything to go by, though, but that's all I can think of.
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

Guys, I'll move some money around and start doing more refunds. Everyone has been more than patient. I'm actually super happy N64 fans will finally be able to get what they have wanted for a very long time. It's difficult to believe it took this long for it to happen. Obviously I will be offering to install these, so I'll do my part to help this reach as many N64 fans as possible.

With that said, Marshall finally sent me a tracking number a few days ago. I hoped it would show movement before I came back to update this thread, but I would have posted an update before February regardless. I'm still not clear if the package contains only the 80 units he previously prepared or all of the 230+ units he has on-hand. It's also unclear if this package will contain any DAC modules (he hasn't asked me to send payment for DACs yet).

[edit]

Considering that I have dozens of N64 consoles from group-buy participants, I will explore options for converting the upcoming orders into a bulk order for N64Digital. I'm sure Dan is getting a lot of messages right now, but I will try to reach him anyway.
Last edited by Ichinisan on Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Blacksheep
Banned User

Post by Blacksheep »

N64Digital thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=68009
dryja123

Post by dryja123 »

dryja123 wrote:Also wanted to point out that Dan has a long established history of releasing these kits with multiple video outputs. I don’t think his kit would have an RGB offering but I would imagine it would still support RGB mods.

Well, according to their website “ Analog RGB / YPbPr through multiout”
milo22

Post by milo22 »

How can I request a refund? Just send an email?
CZroe

Post by CZroe »

dryja123 wrote:
dryja123 wrote:Also wanted to point out that Dan has a long established history of releasing these kits with multiple video outputs. I don’t think his kit would have an RGB offering but I would imagine it would still support RGB mods.

In that case why didn't he call it N64Dual? Weird.

Anyway, I'm excited about this and hoping we can pivot to help a bunch of you with N64Digital too. I haven't had a chance to even look at the announcement yet but maybe we can contact Dan on behalf of the UltraHDMI group buy. :)
milo22

Post by milo22 »

CZroe wrote:
dryja123 wrote:

In that case why didn't he call it N64Dual? Weird.

Anyway, I'm excited about this and hoping we can pivot to help a bunch of you with N64Digital too. I haven't had a chance to even look at the announcement yet but maybe we can contact Dan on behalf of the UltraHDMI group buy. :)
This would be a great idea. He buys in 450 - 900 unit lots. I'm sure his first batch will be sold out super quick if he sticks to those numbers.

Also it's not called n64dual because his mods with dual in the name do not upscale.
Dax

Post by Dax »

Ichinisan wrote:Considering that I have dozens of N64 consoles from group-buy participants, I will explore options for converting the upcoming orders into a bulk order for N64Digital. I'm sure Dan is getting a lot of messages right now, but I will try to reach him anyway.
This is a great idea! Keep us posted. Thanks for that, dude.

Also thanks for the update on the shipping, Ichinisan. Since it's not known how many is in the initial shipment, it will give a lot of us hope who aren't in that shipment if we can simply move our pre-orders over to the N64Digital.
10mile

Post by 10mile »

Ichinisan wrote: I'm still not clear if the package contains only the 80 units he previously prepared or all of the 230+ units he has on-hand. It's also unclear if this package will contain any DAC modules (he hasn't asked me to send payment for DACs yet).

I gotta ask, is Marshall like socially challenged or something? Does he not understand that he has hundreds of people waiting on him, and that OF COURSE we would appreciate some proper communication? Have you not communicated to him that there are hundreds of people waiting on him? What is this relationship you two have where he sends a tracking number with zero communication about what's inside?

Thank fuck for a competitor.
leonk

Post by leonk »

Let’s not try and read between the tea leafs on why it’s called what it is. But if we are comparing past products:

- the WiiDual is called just that not because it 2X scales, it doesn’t; the Wii is forced to output 480p in the settings menu and the device outputs the resolution it gets in; just over hdmi

- same with GCdual. You need to hold the B button as GameCube game starts to force 480p. The device doesn’t scale.

The Dual in both cases refers to number of video output options. Digital HDMI and Analog RGB/component.
leonk

Post by leonk »

It’s really unfortunate how things turned out with the UltraHDMI. And this group buy is not the only place that resold the kit (and organizer stuck in the middle between eager customers and non responsive creator). I wouldn’t want to be the middle man here.

As for Marshal. The only analogy I have is he’s like the guy in 2009 who discovered Bitcoin but decided not to mine for it because he would rather do other stuff. He had it. And now lost it. I’m sure the new solution wouldn’t exist if Marshal actually had a product that shipped consistently.

I’m hoping Kevtris pays attention and starts releasing more HiDefNES kits or he’s next.
Lopenator

Post by Lopenator »

Are we able to preporder n64 digital? I don't see anyway to do so far.
milo22

Post by milo22 »

Lopenator wrote:Are we able to preporder n64 digital? I don't see anyway to do so far.

If it's going to be like his PS1DIGITAL orders you'll have to watch Dan Kunz Twitter for a release date and hope to get one in the first 10 minutes.
SonicAdvDX

Post by SonicAdvDX »

10mile wrote:
Ichinisan wrote: I'm still not clear if the package contains only the 80 units he previously prepared or all of the 230+ units he has on-hand. It's also unclear if this package will contain any DAC modules (he hasn't asked me to send payment for DACs yet).
I gotta ask, is Marshall like socially challenged or something? Does he not understand that he has hundreds of people waiting on him, and that OF COURSE we would appreciate some proper communication? Have you not communicated to him that there are hundreds of people waiting on him? What is this relationship you two have where he sends a tracking number with zero communication about what's inside?

This new release really feels like a slap in the face to those of us who put in all our chips on the HW2 back in 2019... Been dreading something like this getting announced all 2020, we had ALL YEAR, but now in 2021 here it is. I appreciate Ichinisan's efforts, but speaking purely from a business perspective, I'll definitely be relieved the day when Marshall is no longer an anchor on my supply chain...
Lopenator wrote:Are we able to preporder n64 digital? I don't see anyway to so far.
Not yet, but their listed release window will surely come long before the rest of this group buy ever gets fulfilled. Ichinisan, if you're able to tempt the N64Digital team with a guaranteed several-hundred-unit order from dejected group buyers, that could be a great alternative to all of us waiting for entirely new factory production runs of HW2's that could take god knows how long to fulfill, while the team assembled around the Digital has a long track record of consistently churning out product. Definitely a thought to consider.
CZroe

Post by CZroe »

10mile wrote:

I think his entire reason for dealing this way is to limit contact so he can focus on his interests and he's not really motivated by sales/profits. While his portable N64 interests led to the creation of UltraHDMI they obviously continued elsewhere, like UltraVGA and custom/DIY N64 motherboards. Sure enough, there's a RetroActive sticker on that recent YouTube video about the record-breaking smallest N64, and it ain't UltraHDMI/64Drive. ;) When the Gigaleak happened and I heard word that the schematics and BOM for the N64 iQue were in there all I could think of was "well, there's another rabbithole for Marshall."

FWIW, I mentioned the tracking number on AtariAge a couple days ago when I had no idea that N64Digital existed:
https://atariage.com/forums/topic/22354 ... nt=4738164

Just want to make it clear that this news is not a reaction to N64Digital... unless Marshall knew something we didn't.
leonk wrote:Let’s not try and read between the tea leafs on why it’s called what it is. But if we are comparing past products:

- the WiiDual is called just that not because it 2X scales, it doesn’t; the Wii is forced to output 480p in the settings menu and the device outputs the resolution it gets in; just over hdmi

- same with GCdual. You need to hold the B button as GameCube game starts to force 480p. The device doesn’t scale.

The Dual in both cases refers to number of video output options. Digital HDMI and Analog RGB/component.
Exactly why I would expect it to be called N64Dual if it supports YPbPr/RGBS. Dual typically means digital and analog upgrades. Digital typically means HDMI/DVI upgrades.
SonicAdvDX wrote:
Lopenator wrote:Are we able to preporder n64 digital? I don't see anyway to so far.
Not yet, but their listed release window will surely come long before the rest of this group buy ever gets fulfilled. Ichinisan, if you're able to tempt the N64Digital team with a guaranteed several-hundred-unit order from dejected group buyers, that could be a great alternative to all of us waiting for entirely new factory production runs of HW2's that could take god knows how long to fulfill, while the team assembled around the Digital has a long track record of consistently churning out product. Definitely a thought to consider.
Yeah. Definitely reaching out to Dan over this! Since we already have dozens of consoles waiting for UltraHDMI HW2 it would be much more efficient and convenient for him to do a batch of kits for the Group Buy and he would get so much Goodwill from all of us. :)
Last edited by CZroe on Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
terzdesign

Post by terzdesign »

Ichnisan: I sent you an email requesting a refund. If you need me to request in a different manner please let me know.

On a side note I’m sooooo excited for SOMETHING to finally hit market so I can play my collection on modern setups.
dryja123

Post by dryja123 »

milo22 wrote:
Lopenator wrote:Are we able to preporder n64 digital? I don't see anyway to do so far.

If it's going to be like his PS1DIGITAL orders you'll have to watch Dan Kunz Twitter for a release date and hope to get one in the first 10 minutes.
I was fortunate to get the PS1 Digital in the very first round. It sold out in 45 seconds. I would imagine this will sell just as fast, if not faster.
rhetoricalnoise

Post by rhetoricalnoise »

I just recently joined the group buy, so I am at the back of the line. I think I would stand a better chance with the N64Digital. Also, I recently got a PS1Digital and plan on doing other upgrades from citrus3000psi and chriz2600 such as DCDigital as well other projects they have on the horizon. Even if UltraHDMI and N64Digital offer similar quality and functionality, I think it would be nice to have some continuity with my HDMI upgrades. However, rather than immediately asking for a refund, I think I will wait awhile to see if Ichinisan is able to contact Dan and make some kind of arrangement to secure a large order of the N64Digital kits for the group buy and we can be given the option to convert our order over to the other kit. That seems like a win-win for everyone. If not, then I'll be dropping out, requesting a refund and will attempt to get the N64Digital directly when it is released in April.
milo22

Post by milo22 »

dryja123 wrote:
milo22 wrote:

I was fortunate to get the PS1 Digital in the very first round. It sold out in 45 seconds. I would imagine this will sell just as fast, if not faster.
Agreed. Especially with all this pent-up demand. Hopefully Dan agrees to accept all of the UltraHDMI orders from this group buy. I'm actually thinking keeping this group buy order and getting an additional one from his website if that is the case.
bahamutfan64

Post by bahamutfan64 »

It's really too bad the UltraHDMI will meet the same fate of the Satiator - promises that it'll be just around the corner, just a bit more of a wait, for years at end. Now, no one cares about the Satiator since new ODEs have come out left and right; what once was a market desert is now an oasis for consumers.

Even if Marshall isn't about the money, there easily could've been lots of profit to be had by him so it could easily furnish any of his other hobbies. Both him and his customers could've left the table happy had he licensed his HW1 so someone else could manufacture and sell them, leaving him without the headaches of maintaining the project.

Good on Dan and Christof to capitalize on this. At the end of the day, they really are doing this community so much good.
viper1701

Re: UltraHDMI group-buy ROUND 7 - 2021-01-30 UPDATE

Post by viper1701 »

bahamutfan64 wrote: Even if Marshall isn't about the money, there easily could've been lots of profit to be had by him so it could easily furnish any of his other hobbies. Both him and his customers could've left the table happy had he licensed his HW1 so someone else could manufacture and sell them, leaving him without the headaches of maintaining the project.
Agree 100%. Letting the market increase like crazy, people spending 1.5k$ to buy a premodded console, 150k$ in Pre-order... None this makes sense to me. Ultra hdmi will remain as a giant waste in collective memory.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

bahamutfan64 wrote:It's really too bad the UltraHDMI will meet the same fate of the Satiator - promises that it'll be just around the corner, just a bit more of a wait, for years at end. Now, no one cares about the Satiator since new ODEs have come out left and right; what once was a market desert is now an oasis for consumers.
I don't think this comparison works very well though. The Satiator is still a unique product in being plug-and-play and not requiring to remove the original CD laser unit. While demand for it is not as high as it would have been two years ago, it's still an interesting and unique product. No equal or better one has been released to make it obsolete.

On the other hand, the N64Digital is presumably going to do exactly the same as the UltraHDMI, if not more and better.

I do think that product creators in this hobby have learned lessons and are making products much more adequately available than in the past, which is great for everyone.
bahamutfan64

Post by bahamutfan64 »

Fernan1234, you are completely right in that the Satiator is a unique product. What I think is its Achilles' heel though is that it costs significantly more than the competition - almost three times as much as a Fenrir, for example (which will have a 21-pin variant soon). Had it been $175-200 (and not $260), it would've been a viable alternative, imho.

The UltraHDMI is completely dead in the water though. I am sure people are cancelling their pre-orders as we speak (I know I've sent out my email). And I reiterate it's really too bad because so many of us would've gladly compensated Marshall for his talents and body of work. But now there's literally no incentive for people to wait around, especially when we know Dan and Christof have a history of delivering and being actively vested in their products.
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

Installers: There is an update from Marshall on RetroActive's installer page. I would share it here, but that page has always said "installers only" at the top.
Titwaah

Post by Titwaah »

Just noticed a competitor has announced a product going forward, What do I do about being taken off the list please, thanks
TickleMyElmo

Post by TickleMyElmo »

Ichinisan wrote:Installers: There is an update from Marshall on RetroActive's installer page. I would share it here, but that page has always said "installers only" at the top.
sorry not really related to the quote although its good to hear, but i emailed you about a week ago about an adress change and have not heard back, just thought id try here to let you know since im sure your busy going through tons of emails.

Also i doubt ill be in the first shipment but id like to throw my 2 cents in, if theres only 80-200 units i cant help but feel dismay as im sure the people who ordered thousands of dollars worth of kits to resell them will take up almost of not ALL of this initial shipment.
getreal720

Post by getreal720 »

I wouldn't get my hopes up on any kind of group buy situation. I rather hope Dan does NOT accept large orders from modders and this is why:

I can do the install myself, and do not want the initial batch to sell out lightning fast because he promised half of them to the installers here. The inital batch of PS1Digitals sold out lightning fast on a day I just so happened to have to be in the car, and had no chance to sit on my computer waiting for that 10 AM alarm to frantically try to order. That was, IIRC, the end of August 2020. It took 5 months to get more ready to ship, and honestly that isn't terrible, but it is a decently long wait.

The first few batches are going to sell out lightning fast, unless they are somehow able and willing to do larger rounds now that there is seemingly more man power on their end. I get the reason behind 200-400 ish units on early runs. It's a lot less hardware to be stuck with, or have to fix, if something goes wrong in the production end of things. That's a lot of money to have to sit on, and a lot of time and effort to get them all programmed and tested. I get it. All that being said, lots of folks were a bit unnerved that they sold out so fast. They are going to sell fast regardless, but if one or two larger orders talk the bulk of the initial product.. well that's just that many more unhappy customers.

It just seems to me, especially at first, odds aren't good you'll be seeing batches of this product larger than 400 units. While people like myself are in the minority in that I can install it and prefer not to pay for installation services, it would still be nice for that to be an ability which would be greatly diminished if large volume orders were allowed. Though I suspect many of you who put money down toward an UltraHDMI a year or better ago are probably looking for your pitchfork if you bothered to read this far along... and I don't blame you. I was on the fence about pre ordering an UltraHDMI. Now I'll just wait for an N64Digital first, be it even if I have to wait until the fall if I miss out in the spring...
viper1701

Post by viper1701 »

Ichinisan wrote:Installers: There is an update from Marshall on RetroActive's installer page. I would share it here, but that page has always said "installers only" at the top.
Anybody was able to access this update. Can't find this page anywhere...