UltraHDMI group-buy ROUND 7 - 2021-01-30 UPDATE

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
10mile

Re: UltraHDMI group-buy ROUND 7 - 2021-01-30 UPDATE

Post by 10mile »

Lethal wrote:direct contrast to your narrative
Yikes you’re in deep. Good luck fam, your next post is surely the one to elicit a coherent response from the brothers.
Lethal
Banned User

Post by Lethal »

10mile wrote:
Lethal wrote:direct contrast to your narrative
Yikes you’re in deep. Good luck fam, your next post is surely the one to elicit a coherent response from the brothers.
Yup. I'm in $300 deep and these clowns think everyone has nothing better to do than sit around waiting for them without replies while they apparently can't even ship 10 kits per month since this round opened.

It's absolutely ridiculous.
skitals

Post by skitals »

Since I know you lose money with each refund, please send me an invoice for the amount it will cost you to cancel Lethal's order. It will be a small price to pay for some peace and quiet here.
Lethal
Banned User

Post by Lethal »

skitals wrote:Since I know you lose money with each refund, please send me an invoice for the amount it will cost you to cancel Lethal's order. It will be a small price to pay for some peace and quiet here.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What's the matter? Can you not handle that your safe space isn't a mindless echo chamber of confirmation bias?

Canceling my order doesn't even make up a fraction of my time that they have wasted with their ineptitude and terrible treatment of buyers so unless you're willing to compensate me for that on top of my order then I'm not at all interested.

Also, you have the ability to ignore. Learn to empower yourself if you're so easily offended by the truth.
SonicAdvDX

Post by SonicAdvDX »

Lethal wrote:oh boo hoo, the brothers have wasted so much of my time
Also Lethal wrote:*returns to thread every goddamn day to repeat the same ineffectual arguments to anyone who will respond*
Christ man, go touch grass... We're clearly not all as emotionally invested in this as you are.
Joelepain

Post by Joelepain »

Lethal wrote: Also, you have the ability to ignore.
When one post in two is your non-stop whining, it's becoming more and more difficult to ignore.
So please shut the f**k up, or go harrass them in private, because as you have obviously noticed yourself, harrassing them in public hasn't change a thing in their behavior.

Hope you realise that internet is becoming a shittier place every day because of people like you.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

It's well known that before UltraHDMI firmware v1.09, that the UltraHDMI was mostly limited to operating with a triple buffer (constantly changing lag up to 1 frame) in order to output a compatible HDMI signal. This is in contrast to the N64Digital which can operate at essentially zero lag in all video modes where relevant while keeping very high compatibility. UltraHDMI firmware v1.09 has added a low lag mode that works with 720p/1080p modes. I decided to update my UltraHDMI to v1.09 and put it on my HDMI protocol analyzer to see how this is achived. Here's what I found:

-UltraHDMI's low lag mode compatibility seems to be really hit or miss, to the point that 1080p/720p don't work on my test monitors, which accept most resolutions and devices I throw at it.

-To achieve low latency, UltraHDMI appears to run the HDMI output at a non-constant frame rate/vsync frequency. This is likely due to the UltraHDMI using the FPGAs built in PLL. Whereas the N64Digital has much higher precision fractional PLL clock generator. The frame rate changes over time which might be the only way the UltraHDMI can stay synced up to the N64. This changing HDMI video rate/clock is likely what causes poor display compatibility.

Regarding us supplying kits to group buy:
James wanted us to supply many more N64D kits on our first batch in July but it just was not feasible at the time. This 2nd batch we will have many more units and can help anybody on the group buy get a single kit if they were on the list before 2021. Contact Pixel FX through pixelfx.co with your email used to sign up for the group buy/your info and we will help you secure a N64Digital.
Lopenator

Post by Lopenator »

citrus3000psi wrote:It's well known that before UltraHDMI firmware v1.09, that the UltraHDMI was mostly limited to operating with a triple buffer (constantly changing lag up to 1 frame) in order to output a compatible HDMI signal. This is in contrast to the N64Digital which can operate at essentially zero lag in all video modes where relevant while keeping very high compatibility. UltraHDMI firmware v1.09 has added a low lag mode that works with 720p/1080p modes. I decided to update my UltraHDMI to v1.09 and put it on my HDMI protocol analyzer to see how this is achived. Here's what I found:

-UltraHDMI's low lag mode compatibility seems to be really hit or miss, to the point that 1080p/720p don't work on my test monitors, which accept most resolutions and devices I throw at it.

-To achieve low latency, UltraHDMI appears to run the HDMI output at a non-constant frame rate/vsync frequency. This is likely due to the UltraHDMI using the FPGAs built in PLL. Whereas the N64Digital has much higher precision fractional PLL clock generator. The frame rate changes over time which might be the only way the UltraHDMI can stay synced up to the N64. This changing HDMI video rate/clock is likely what causes poor display compatibility.

James wanted us to supply many more N64D kits on our first batch in July but it just was not feasible at the time. This 2nd batch we will have many more units and can help anybody on the group buy get a single kit if they were on the list before 2021. Contact Pixel FX through pixelfx.co with your email used to sign up for the group buy/your info and we will help you secure a N64Digital.
If said person was on the list before 2021 and would prefer a refund should they do nothing? Obviously that doesn't fall in your department, I know that. The other side of doing this would have one wonder if they would even receive the refund. I'm sure everyone who wants a refund would rather a N64D over never getting their refund.

If that confuses anybody, what I'm trying to say is this. If we pass on the N64D in hopes for a refund, will we get nothing?

I was on the list before 2021 and would rather a refund, but if that's only a dream, I'll take the N64D. If I do happen to be able to only get a N64D, will we ever be refunded the $ we spent if we choose to have it installed for us?

How will PixelFX receive the $ we sent over to the brothers?

**These questions are not being directed towards you citrus3000psi. I know you are not capable of answering them. They are simply being generalized because I'm sure other folks on here will have the same questions.
Last edited by Lopenator on Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
skitals

Post by skitals »

citrus3000psi wrote:It's well known that before UltraHDMI firmware v1.09, that the UltraHDMI was mostly limited to operating with a triple buffer (constantly changing lag up to 1 frame) in order to output a compatible HDMI signal. This is in contrast to the N64Digital which can operate at essentially zero lag in all video modes where relevant while keeping very high compatibility. UltraHDMI firmware v1.09 has added a low lag mode that works with 720p/1080p modes. I decided to update my UltraHDMI to v1.09 and put it on my HDMI protocol analyzer to see how this is achived. Here's what I found:

Thanks, just filled out the contact form. You guys are going above and beyond!
Woozle

Post by Woozle »

@Lopenator, sorry for the confusion. Pixel FX sells direct to customers. You can still stay on the group buy and wait for your UltraHDMI as that is a separate transaction that Pixel FX has no involvement with. We're just extending an offer to secure a kit order from our next batch as these things tend to sell out quickly.
Lopenator

Post by Lopenator »

Woozle wrote:@Lopenator, sorry for the confusion. Pixel FX sells direct to customers. You can still stay on the group buy and wait for your UltraHDMI as that is a separate transaction that Pixel FX has no involvement with. We're just extending an offer to secure a kit order from our next batch as these things tend to sell out quickly.
So everybody on the list here will need to pay again to PixelFX? So if I wanted to get N64D I would buy again? Just making sure I understand. Thanks for clearing it up for me.

Also, thank you to the Pixel FX group for being so awesome and doing the best they can to get everyone HDMI!

I was just confused because if I recall correctly, many months ago, the brothers said we can switch over the N64D when it was first being released. I wasn't sure if this had to do with that.
Woozle

Post by Woozle »

Lopenator wrote:
Woozle wrote:@Lopenator, sorry for the confusion. Pixel FX sells direct to customers. You can still stay on the group buy and wait for your UltraHDMI as that is a separate transaction that Pixel FX has no involvement with. We're just extending an offer to secure a kit order from our next batch as these things tend to sell out quickly.
So everybody on the list here will need to pay again to PixelFX? So if I wanted to get N64D I would buy again? Just making sure I understand. Thanks for clearing it up for me.

Also, thank you to the Pixel FX group for being so awesome and doing the best they can to get everyone HDMI!

I was just confused because if I recall correctly, many months ago, the brothers said we can switch over the N64D when it was first being released. I wasn't sure if this had to do with that.
Yes that is correct, this would be a separate purchase through Pixel FX. Doing it this way makes customer support for our product more straight forward and ensures the transaction goes smoothly.
PressLeft

Post by PressLeft »

Well this is rather confusing. I’d love to be able to switch to N64Digital without having to pay out again from my group buy cost. I initially thought this was a way to simply move the money from one product to the other. It is understandable though.

Any way we can figure out those securing an N64D getting a refund around the same time so that we can use that towards the N64D? Mine was the lone iMessage payment. Hopefully that one won’t have fees to return?
Lopenator

Post by Lopenator »

Woozle wrote:
Lopenator wrote:

Yes that is correct, this would be a separate purchase through Pixel FX. Doing it this way makes customer support for our product more straight forward and ensures the transaction goes smoothly.
While you're here, I've sent a message to PixelFX and haven't heard from anyone yet. Maybe you can shed some light. Is there any extra heat that can happen while using the mod? Does the PSU pull more power from the wall? Could any extra heat be dangerous to the console? Has any systems over heated that you are aware of? Just something I have been wondering.
Last edited by Lopenator on Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lethal
Banned User

Post by Lethal »

SonicAdvDX wrote:I love the brothers cocks in my mouth. They can do no wrong. Please steal my money.
See how stupid you look when you start making fake quotes?
Lethal
Banned User

Post by Lethal »

Joelepain wrote:
Lethal wrote: Also, you have the ability to ignore.
When one post in two is your non-stop whining, it's becoming more and more difficult to ignore.
So please shut the f**k up, or go harrass them in private, because as you have obviously noticed yourself, harrassing them in public hasn't change a thing in their behavior.

Hope you realise that internet is becoming a shittier place every day because of people like you.
Still having a tough time putting on those big boy ignore pants, huh?

Looks to me like the whining is coming from you because you're offended by reality and assume everyone should cater to your emotionally weak mindset.

I hope you realize that the internet is becoming more of a cancel culture cesspool every day because of clowns like you.
SonicAdvDX

Post by SonicAdvDX »

Lethal wrote:
SonicAdvDX wrote:I love the brothers cocks in my mouth. They can do no wrong. Please steal my money.
Yes, that did indeed make you look very stupid, lmao
skitals

Post by skitals »

I would highly encourage anyone securing a N64D to not request a refund from the group-buy. It really goes against the spirit of a g-b and puts our hosts in a financial bind. When your ultrahdmi get's fulfilled these kits will still be super hard to obtain so it's a great opportunity to mod a second console to keep or sell, or resell the kit for a big profit. Win-win.
Lopenator

Post by Lopenator »

skitals wrote:I would highly encourage anyone securing a N64D to not request a refund from the group-buy. It really goes against the spirit of a g-b and puts our hosts in a financial bind. When your ultrahdmi get's fulfilled these kits will still be super hard to obtain so it's a great opportunity to mod a second console to keep or sell, or resell the kit for a big profit. Win-win.
Scalping isn't cool dude.
skitals

Post by skitals »

Lopenator wrote:
skitals wrote:I would highly encourage anyone securing a N64D to not request a refund from the group-buy. It really goes against the spirit of a g-b and puts our hosts in a financial bind. When your ultrahdmi get's fulfilled these kits will still be super hard to obtain so it's a great opportunity to mod a second console to keep or sell, or resell the kit for a big profit. Win-win.
Scalping isn't cool dude.
Outside of this group-buy UltraHDMI is sold exclusively to installers/resellers. A good number of participants in this group-buy are installers/resellers. Asking for a refund after a year+ sticks our host with a huge amount of paypal fees. Scalpers suck, but honoring your buy and not requesting a refund (unless you are willing to have the fees withheld from your refund) is the higher road here, IMO.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

We made this decision based on these facts:

-The Turners have stated they do not make money on DIY kits. We are not offering installation only single DIY kits. People can still send our DIY kits to them for installations.

-If Marshall has already received the money for said kits those users will not be able to get refunds (Do we know who those people are?)

With that said, if you are requesting a refund I think its totally appropriate for them to not send back the money lost from paypal fees. Most users I think have paid 130, so the fee is right around 5USD. I don't think its inappropriate to refund 125 back to users who want a refund. At least I wouldn't be upset about that. Maybe others have different opinions.

Our intention is to only help the group buy users out that have been waiting a long time, not put the Turners in some type of bind.
Last edited by citrus3000psi on Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Now that the N64D is available, what would be a rational reason to keep an UltraHDMI order other than for "scalping"/re-selling?
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Just do a card charge back and say stuff the brothers and anyone else involved in selling these substandard faulty kits. Don't pay for someone else's incompetence.

Like Dan said it was well known they had faults which were at a hardware level for over a year. The product was pieced together with other people's work and had not progressed much at all.

The whole trickle feeding this monopoly over a few years is lazy and unorganised and deserved a take over.

Any one wanting one over a digital is a fool.

It will be the same with xbox digital vs make mhz.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

citrus3000psi wrote:
Our intention is to only help the group buy users out that have been waiting a long time, not put the Turners in some type of bind.
Pointing out the hardware/software faults/limitations of their product compared to yours in gross detail on their thread surely does not put them in some type of bind.

They had it coming hey? Salt the wound!
Lethal
Banned User

Post by Lethal »

You know the incompetence is beyond words when a competitor pops up and is not only able to fulfill their advance orders in a fraction of the time but is also able to produce additional batches on top of it to offer everyone that's inevitably going to be ripped off in this excuse laden, unaccountability induced shit show. The writing was on the wall once the brothers went into hiding and started ignoring emails en mass. What’s even worse is that after they spent the better part of a week arguing and claiming things were going to get better a month ago they only returned to doing the exact same thing they have since the start of the year which is running from the problems they created for themselves. How they're still taking orders and some are still willing to accept being stung along like sheep by the hope mongering is mind numbingly retarded. The inability or refusal to ship on average more than 10 kits a month can’t be justified any longer.

SonicAdvDX wrote:
Lethal wrote:
Yes, that did indeed make you look very stupid, lmao
Glad to see that you’re at least able to admit to your faults and that creating fake quotes because you have no logical ground to stand on was desperate.

I would highly recommend the exact opposite. The brothers have had more than ample time to fulfill orders within a reasonable time frame and waiting further is only illogical lunacy. If anyone still has the opportunity, file a paypal claim and if that’s not an option do as a few others have mentioned and contact your credit card company or bank to start the chargeback process. The only one winning in all this is the brothers and what appears to be a ponzi scheme to which they refuse to prove otherwise while they misappropriated the funds for other purposes or in braindead decisions that was of benefit to nobody.
CZroe

Post by CZroe »

Not going to be able to catch up on everything tonight but we are rolling again after last month's accident.

I'm mostly here to warn people not to update HW2 to 1.09 unless they don't care about In-Game Reset. HW1 is fine since you can still downgrade to 1.08. Since there is no initial 1.08 FW for HW2 available you will not have the option to downgrade and will have to wait for an update/fix to restore IGR.

I wanted to let you guys know last week that FW1.09 had gone "final" but we encountered an IGR issue with it and was hoping for a quick 1.09A. Heck, we caught a last-second issue with FW1.08 after it went final a few years ago and he was able to fix it without a new version number. ;) I guess I was hoping for something similar here but it seems people have discovered it on the installer page and are now reaching out to me with reports of 1.09 breaking IGR with the Everdrive 64.

Before you update a HW2 kit to 1.09, please understand: It ain't just ED64.

Our Everdrive 64 has been stuck in PAL mode for weeks since we didn't have a PAL cartridge for testing UltraPIF and I have to solder-bodge it to switch regions (broken switch). Marshall asked us to test FW1.09's zero-latency mode on PAL systems and the only ones I had on-hand were also fitted with UltraPIF (fancy region mod). I first noticed that IGR does not work with UltraPIF's "Reset to Game" enabled. Since turning the setting off (default) works normally I had to assume it was just an incompatibility with that UltraPIF setting... until we only noticed it on a NTSC board with HW2 and an original game.

I've only received reports of this with Everdrive 64 and each person says it continues working fine with original games but I just updated another kit and confirmed that my test system with HW2 on FW1.09 has the same issue with some original cartridges. Some have reportedly downgraded HW1 to 1.08 and restored normal IGR functionality.

I'd hoped to head this off before you guys encountered it. Marshall is working on a fix. If you don't care about IGR then feel free to update to 1.09.
RIP-Felix wrote:
CZroe wrote:Due to a miscommunication with Marshall we have WAY too many DACs...
Did Marshall charge you for these DAC's?

- If so, then where did the money for them come from? Escrow or personal account?
- If not, did He not want them back? Would he be okay with you selling them?
Gonna have to go into the weeds on this one, but here goes:
Back in January we did not know how many people would want optional DACs. Marshall didn't want to delay shipping further so he graciously shipped them 1:2 with the HW2 kits before even setting a price with the understanding that we were likely underestimating and could order more if need be. That means we only got 115 for the first 230 kits. While in transit he calculated the price would be about $20 per DAC.

While the rest of the HW2 boards he had were waiting on flex cable production we began distributing the first 230 HW2 kits. It became clear that most people were opting for the DAC and we still owed him for the first 115 so we went ahead and paid for 300 DACs total expecting 185 to ship with the next batch of HW2 kits. As we continued distributing the initial 230 HW2 boards it became clear that we were running out of the initial 115 DACs. We asked if he could ship some of those 185 DACs to us early instead of waiting for the rest of the HW2 kits. Just as the lack of DACs was becoming an issue for distributing the initial 230 HW2 kits, we unexpectedly received 100 more the day of the tornado so I guess he forgot to tell my bro he was shipping which got me unnecessarily excited. I was glad to have them but I actually hoped it would have more HW2 kits. Didn't get an opportunity to moan about it when we suddenly didn't even have functional streets, power, Internet, cellular service, etc.

This means he still owed us 85 DACs when the tornado hit.

When the rest of the HW2 kits arrived, Marshall had already distributed some to GameTechUS and we got fewer HW2 kits than expected (300 instead of 400+). With 100 fewer HW2 kits I worried that 300 DACs total might be too many but then we found that he had included another 300 DACs instead of the remaining 85... WAY too many.

That means we paid for 300 DACs and received 515. Marshall said we could settle up later and that is where things still stand.

Marshall should be OK with us selling them and the extra DAC flexes have been useful for the people who ruin theirs. Of course, that means we will need to buy more DAC flexes when the time comes.
RIP-Felix wrote:Also, is the business making enough profit to cover any shortfall that may arise from overbuying DAC's? Given your financial difficulties during the disaster, our confidence in your ability to cover these cost out of pocket is justifiably shaken. Can you reassure buyers at the end of the list will get their kit? Or are they subsidizing the cost of kits and refund penalties of the people above them on the list?

Sorry for the hard questions objectivity demanded I ask.
We are selling the DACs at cost so there is no profit to cover any shortfall. In fact, multiple people owe us for DACs since we paid it forward and extended the same courtesy to some in order to get things moving... one installer owes over $800 for DACs! Eventually the bill from Marshall will come due. Again, we only make money from completely optional installations and were never doing the group buy as a business. It isn't just DACs either. One person was supposed to send back the unprovisioned kit that was accidentally shipped to him. We even lost more money refunding him enough to cover shipping. He promised a tracking number months ago but never supplied it. No kit either. :(

Of course, we always wanted to order some kits for ourselves to do with as we pleased. The group buy was a way to increase our buying power and put enough money on the table to motivate Marshall. In past rounds we sold any kits that were refunded since it meant we had paid for it and it was ours. Obviously we can't afford to front the cost for everyone who asked for a refund after their money was sent this time, but thankfully most didn't ACTUALLY want out once we contact them with their options (kits or refunds). The terms were always that refunds were available until money was sent but we graciously refunded people after their money was sent anyway. Obviously, many just wanted N64Digital so I can't thanks Dan and Co. enough for helping the first 50. Of course, that means we had to set that money aside early on while we were still trying to distribute the earliest HW2 kits.

Unlike the first several hundred people who are only entitled to a kit, buyers near the end of the list can insist on a refund. We just have to see how far down the list these kits will go, issuing refunds as we go, until we get to them since any remaining kits will change many of their minds too. They would not have had to wait terribly long compared to the others if not for the disasterous circumstances beyond our control. We expected many would be pleasantly surprised that they can get a kit if they want due to people ahead of them backing out. The people entitled to refunds obviously didn't wait nearly as long as the people waiting on kits that were already paid for and produced, so we prioritized distributing the first batch, fully expecting to get to the remainder months ago when they would have been waiting a relatively short amount of time compared to everyone who signed up over a year earlier. 12:04AM on March 26th screwed that up, almost completely halting things until we had even more on our plate (580 kits).

We are still dealing with stuff like reapplying for a denied SBA Disaster loan application, trying to find a place to live, reparing my bro's car after a roommate wrecked it on a learner's permit, septic backing up at the workshop, selling everything we own, dealing with theiving contractors, etc. Every day is still a struggle.
Max_P0 wrote:I paid addition 22 for a DAC and switched one of my pre ordered to N64 Digital. ...

Wondering how much more I have to wait .. for the people who received their units did you get any emails notification about shipping or did the units just showed up.

Thanks
I believe you paid the difference for N64Digital and elected to wait for it but I'll check with my bro and see what's up. PixelFX increase the price another $15 due to circumstances beyond their control so he'll still have to settle up with you regarding that (and presumably a DAC).
Last edited by CZroe on Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lethal
Banned User

Post by Lethal »

CZroe wrote:Not going to be able to catch up on everything tonight but we are rolling again after last month's accident.

I'm mostly here to warn people not to update HW2 to 1.09 unless they don't care about In-Game Reset. HW1 is fine since you can still downgrade to 1.08. Since there is no initial 1.08 FW for HW2 available you will not have the option to downgrade and will have to wait for an update/fix to restore IGR.

I wanted to let you guys know last week that FW1.09 had gone "final" but we encountered an IGR issue with it and was hoping for a quick 1.09A. Heck, we caught a last-second issue with FW1.08 after it went final a few years ago and he was able to fix it without a new version number. ;) I guess I was hoping for something similar here but it seems people have discovered it on the installer page and are now reaching out to me with reports of 1.09 breaking IGR with the Everdrive 64.

Before you update a HW2 kit to 1.09, please understand: It ain't just ED64.

Our Everdrive 64 has been stuck in PAL mode for weeks since we didn't have a PAL cartridge for testing UltraPIF and I have to solder-bodge it to switch regions (broken switch). Marshall asked us to test FW1.09's zero-latency mode on PAL systems and the only ones I had on-hand were also fitted with UltraPIF (fancy region mod). I first noticed that IGR does not work with UltraPIF's "Reset to Game" enabled. Since turning the setting off (default) works normally I had to assume it was just an incompatibility with that UltraPIF setting... until we only noticed it on a NUS-CPU-03 board with HW2 and an original game.

I've only received reports of the with Everdrive 64 and each person says it continues working fine with original games but I just updated another kit and confirmed that my NUS-CPU-03 test system with HW2 on FW1.09 has the same issue with original cartridges. Some people with HW1 have reportedly downgraded to 1.08 and restored IGR functionality.

I had hoped to hammer this out before anyone even knew about it but Marshall is working on a fix. Go ahead and update to 1.09 if you don't care about IGR.
RIP-Felix wrote:
CZroe wrote:Due to a miscommunication with Marshall we have WAY too many DACs...
Did Marshall charge you for these DAC's?

- If so, then where did the money for them come from? Escrow or personal account?
- If not, did He not want them back? Would he be okay with you selling them?

Also, is the business making enough profit to cover any shortfall that may arise from overbuying DAC's? Given your financial difficulties during the disaster, our confidence in your ability to cover these cost out of pocket is justifiably shaken. Can you reassure buyers at the end of the list will get their kit? Or are they subsidizing the cost of kits and refund penalties of the people above them on the list?

Sorry for the hard questions objectivity demanded I ask.
Gonna have to go into the weeds on this one, but here goes:
Back in January we did not know how many people would want optional DACs. Marshall didn't want to delay shipping further so he graciously shipped them 1:2 with the HW2 kits before even setting a price with the understanding that we were likely underestimating and could order more if need be. That means we only got 115 for the first 230 kits. While in transit he calculated the price would be about $20 per DAC.

While the rest of the HW2 boards he had were waiting on flex cable production we began distributing the first 230 HW2 kits. It became clear that most people were opting for the DAC and we still owed him for the first 115 so we went ahead and paid for 300 DACs total expecting 185 to ship with the next batch of HW2 kits. As we continued distributing the initial 230 HW2 boards it became clear that we were running out of the initial 115 DACs. We asked if he could ship some of those 185 DACs to us early instead of waiting for the rest of the HW2 kits. Just as the lack of DACs was becoming an issue for distributing the initial 230 HW2 kits, we unexpectedly received 100 more the day of the tornado so I guess he forgot to tell my bro he was shipping which got me unnecessarily excited. I was glad to have them but I actually hoped it would have more HW2 kits. Didn't get an opportunity to moan about it when we suddenly didn't even have functional streets, power, Internet, cellular service, etc.

This means he still owed us 85 DACs when the tornado hit.

When the rest of the HW2 kits arrived, Marshall had already distributed some to GameTechUS and we got fewer HW2 kits than expected (300 instead of 400+). With 100 fewer HW2 kits I worried that 300 DACs total might be too many but then we found that he had included another 300 DACs instead of the remaining 85... WAY too many.

That means we paid for 300 DACs and received 515. Marshall said we could settle up later and that is where things still stand.

Marshall should be OK with us selling them and the extra DAC flexes have been useful for the people who ruin theirs. Of course, that means we will need to buy more DAC flexes when the time comes.

We are selling the DACs at cost so there is no profit to cover any shortfall. In fact, multiple people owe us for DACs since we extended the same courtesy to some in order to get things moving (RetroHDMI alone owes us $800). Needless to say, this puts us deep into the red. Again, we only make money from completely optional installations and were never doing the group buy as a business. It isn't just DACs either. One person was supposed to send back the unprovisioned kit that was accidentally shipped to him. Well, he promised a tracking number months ago but never supplied it. No kit either.

Of course, we always wanted to order some kits for ourselves to do with as we pleased and the group buy was a way to increase our buying power and put enough money on the table to motivate Marshall. In past rounds we sold any kits that were refunded since it meant we had paid for it and it was ours. Obviously we can't afford to front the cost for everyone who asked for a refund after their money was sent this time, but thankfully most didn't ACTUALLY want out once we contact them with their options (kits or refunds). The terms were always that refunds were available until money was sent but we graciously refunded people after their money was sent anyway. If we refunded everyone asking who ultimately wanted theirs (or N64Digital), THEN there would be a problem. Obviously, many just wanted N64Digital so I can't thanks Dan and Co. enough for helping the first 50. Of course, that means we had to set that money aside early on while we were still trying to distribute the earliest HW2 kits.

Unlike the first several hundred people, many of whom are demanding refunds they aren't entitled to (they are entitled to a kit), buyers near the end of the list can insist on a refund. We just have to see how far down the list these kits will go, issuing refunds as we go, until we get to them since any remaining kits may change a few of their minds too. They would not have had to wait terribly long compared to the others if not for the disasterous circumstances beyond our control. We expected many would be pleasantly surprised that they can get a kit if they want due to people ahead of them backing out. The people entitled to refunds obviously didn't wait nearly as long as the people waiting on kits that were already paid for and produced, so we prioritized distributing the first batch, fully expecting to get to the remainder months ago when they would have been waiting a relatively short amount of time compared to everyone who signed up over a year earlier. 12:04AM on March 26th screwed that up, almost completely halting things until we had 530 kits to distribute.

We are still dealing with stuff like SBA Disaster loan applications (and denials), trying to find a place to live, getting transportation after a roommate wrecked my bro's car on a learner's permit, septic backing up at the workshop, selling everything we own, dealing with theiving contractors, etc. It's still Hell on Earth here and I spend every waking hour dealing with it.
Max_P0 wrote:I paid addition 22 for a DAC and switched one of my pre ordered to N64 Digital. ...

Wondering how much more I have to wait .. for the people who received their units did you get any emails notification about shipping or did the units just showed up.

Thanks
I believe you paid the difference for N64Digital and elected to wait for it but I will check with my brother and see what's up. PixelFX were actually forced to increase the price another $15 before it shipped due to circumstances beyond their control so he will still have to settle up with you regarding that (and presumably a DAC).

Another word salad with no information of importance like a timeline for delivery, or why you still can't ship more then 10 kits on average a month but you did of course include the latest excuses of the week and more mindless hope mongering as well as continuing to blame others for your incompetence. Of course no accountability what so ever as to why another braindead decision (if this one is to even be believed) as to why you would lend out your only car, much less to a fool in their 20's that only has a learner's permit.
retro-hdmi

Post by retro-hdmi »

CZroe wrote:(RetroHDMI alone owes us $800).
Damn that's literally my bad, I left Ichinisan's last email unanswered... Tell him to check his email for my response now so I can take care of that balance, and I'll add a little extra for your troubles. Lady Luck has been absolutely horrible to you guys, and it seems the thread hasn't been kind either. Hope you guys can get back on your feet soon.
PULOVR

Post by PULOVR »

citrus3000psi wrote:Our intention is to only help the group buy users out that have been waiting a long time, not put the Turners in some type of bind.
Wouldn't it be easier to just send/supply the Turners with a bigger stack of N64D boards to help out with this GB again?

You guys sent over 50 boards from the first run to help out, and you got paid for those, right? If yes, I don't see the issue with helping out with another 50, 100 (or more) boards. If you got paid for the first 50, it's safe(?) to say you'll get paid for the next batch of boards you help supply them with. It would also be (imo) far less likely for the people (still waiting on this group buy) to ask for a refund.

If you can help out again, the Turners will be able to give a lot more people 3 choices when they get to their name/spot on the list... get the UltraHDMI board, or an N64D board, or a refund. Imo, this would help make things less complicated, and people wouldn't have to make a new/separate payment just for the N64D board, and then potentially ask for a refund from the Turners/Marshal.
CZroe

Post by CZroe »

I've got another PSA today, this time for those installing N64Digital. Back in June someone sent me an N64Digital for installation and I found that almost all of the jumpered connections on the main (digital) flex did not have continuity to the ZIF connector so I had to bypass them:
https://i.imgur.com/q3O6hyq.jpg

Symptoms:
No video without holding reset on boot (bad RC connection)
No hotkey/controller input for the N64Digital menu

I didn't have trouble with any of the group buy installs so far but I began checking each cable before installing to see if it might be an issue. A few weeks ago another person sent me his own kit for installation and I found it would lose HDMI output as soon as I plugged in a controller. Inspecting the cable, I saw what looked like a gap in the trace for the pad/CON connection.
https://i.imgur.com/TBahTuA.jpg

Sure enough: No continuity. After removing the cable to replace it I could see what looked like a burn mark on the bottom:
https://i.imgur.com/puRG9Ke.jpg

This prompted me to check every remaining cable that I had on-hand and I found these two:
https://i.imgur.com/sHBlSvc.jpg

The one with both an X and a tick/check-mark both tested bad then suddenly started testing good, so the problem appears to be marginal connections through the vias.

Predicted symptoms:
The one that only has an X on the SCL connection would appear to work fine since the connection is not used in a typical installation but the other vias may be marginal and fail causing any of the other symptoms.
The one with two X marks would likely boot but not respond to the hotkey to invoke the menu, reset, or navigate the menu.

I stongly advise checking for continuity on all those connections before installing. If you only have an issue with SDA or SCL then continue the install but be on the look out for other issues that may be other marginal/failing vias on CON, RST, or RC.

Still not going to catch up tonight but I might as well do the next few replies.
Lethal wrote:One of the many reasons they can't afford to issue refunds and instead are hiding from those that have been hounding them for their money back for upwards of a year is because they sent marshall $6000 of customers money for DAC's they never had orders for.

Why do you think they keep pushing for buyers to include one?
Literally the exact opposite. We didn't have enough DACs to meet demand and were actively discouraging people until he ended up sending way more than anyone needed (or paid for).

The typical response when offered a DAC is "what's that?" and my bro has to go back and forth about upgraded analog with RGB/YPbPr Component, how the N64Digital includes one but it's optional on the UltraHDMI, etc. They usually want it. When they don't, half the time they end up hemming and hawing and change their mind about it a few times. My brother is very patient and tries to help them decide what they actually want. No one has been pressured to buy a DAC. The closest thing I can imagine is when my brother has gone back and contacted people for other reasons and mentioned that we now have more DACs than we need in case they have changed their mind. Heck, some people are coming to us looking for DACs after their kit was shipped without one.

Just yesterday someone contacted me looking for install service. I recognized the serial number as one we shipped without a DAC to a group buyer who bought several. I mentioned that we had extra DACs on hand and he replied with the usual "what's that?" In the end, he decided he wants one. He's even getting it at-cost like everyone else in the group buy.
Lethal wrote:
StrikerTek wrote:It really feels like 2 weeks wasn't near long enough...
Yeah, two weeks without, as stated by another user as "the mob" attacking everyone with the ability to think critically/objectively over this mess sure was a shining beacon of just how bad the situation has become. When the forum admin will go to the length of handing out bans to censor anyone exposing what has transpired it sure is a reflection of the dystopian present we live in where criticism is silenced at the expense of the truth. When the only narrative allowed is that of those that took everyone’s money and couldn’t deliver that sure is a great look.
My replies to you were deleted and now you've got people thinking you were the one censored and that I avoided tough questions even though I systematically addressed every single one. Not only that, you were still here during the ban as "wtf."

https://i.imgur.com/xcODwlc.jpg
“Sudo?” Like SuperUserDo? Where have I seen someone make that mistake before?

https://i.imgur.com/NtsISAy.jpg
Looks like one other person on this forum has used it incorrectly, and it ain’t samson7point1. He was quoting... YOU.

https://i.imgur.com/Gsx8SbS.jpg

Oh, look at that... "peanut gallery." Looks like another phrase wtf used during his short time here.
samson7point1 wrote:
Lethal wrote:...
I don't think you should be speaking on behalf of anyone other than yourself when you logically can't comprehend the difference between someone complaining about their order not being received in a week and someone simply asking for a reply to a 4 month old email after they waited 2 years. The only one that seems to have "come out of the woodwork" is you to white knight for what I can only guess is that you literally have nothing better to do with your time then virtue signal as some self appointed sudo hero. Just to make it clear, whatever deranged fantasy you live in certainly isn't the same as "everyone" else but thanks for yet another laugh at the peanut gallery's expense.
I have nothing meaningful to contribute to this exchange but I'm bored and have nothing better to do right now so I decided to contribute something shallow and almost utterly meaningless. I believe you want to say "pseudo hero" - as in a person spuriously pretending to be a hero. "SUdo" is a Linux/UNIX half-acronym meaning "Super User does". If I try to interpret this through that lens it comes across as something akin to an actual super hero, but as that's not in keeping with the tone of your response I deduce you meant the other thing. This concludes another pointless interruption, you may now return to the exchange already in progress.
Oh, I'd say it was more meaningful than you intended. :) Lethal is wtf, confirmed.

I also noticed that both accounts were inexplicably cagey about their list position/alias. Based on his vaguely implied position, why is he even still here? ...unless he was lying about it he should be done in July despite us having even more extreme transportation issues for the rest of that month. It seems now he's here just to argue and anonymously stir up you-know-what.
makar1 wrote:N64Digital successfully installed! Luckily everything worked on the first attempt.

https://imgur.com/a/t5wsyLa
Great job! How are you liking N64Digital? I know it mostly matters to PAL users who want to play NTSC games but do you plan to add dual frequency output (DFO)?