Help building my supergun

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
thchardcore

Help building my supergun

Post by thchardcore »

I need some advice on how exactly I should go about building a supergun. I have found the "Idiot's guide to supergun" to be quite helpful but I need some advice on parts and some clarification.

I have a jvc Gd h4220us 19 inch analogue RGB monitor, It uses a DB 9 connector.

I'm only building this supergun for use with one game, Raiden Fighters Jet, although at some point I may purchase SSF2X CPS2.

As far as the power supply I was considering using an extrnal version to cut down on the size. I think there was a group order here for some of those.

I'm concerned about what exactly I need as I wont need NTSC video conversion for tv play (it wont work with SPI anyways)

I need help finding the best place to purchase the following. Let me know what I'm missing.

PSU
DB 9 port and cable
JAMMA harness (should I go with fully labeled and wired?)
2 RCA mountable jacks for sound.
2x DB 15 ports and cables

As far as RGB pot go, what do I need, and are they even worth it?

As far as housing goes, I want to do something that is functional with a consolized look to it, I was considering a project box or possibly a

As far as controls go, I am going to be using 2 modded DC agetec sticks wired to DB 15s.

Thanks
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
SAM

Re: Help building my supergun

Post by SAM »

thchardcore wrote:PSU
DB 9 port and cable
JAMMA harness (should I go with fully labeled and wired?)
2 RCA mountable jacks for sound.
2x DB 15 ports and cables
Yes, that's preatty much all what you need. :D You would needs some tools, wires, etc. through.

I thank a divice not connecting to a TV should not be called a supergun, but never mind.

I did somthing similar to what you are going to do months ago. I am using an 29" Astro City Monitor. :o

Every things are bare bone, the Astro City Monitor got only the york and the chrase, Not shield. :shock:

The JAMMA harness, and PSU has not be put into a container and I got wire all over the place. :lol: The 220V ac power is just connect to the PSU via a unshieded metal connection. :roll: (Things would tends to turn black when contacting with the metal part while the system is turned on. But that is not a concern to me as I am a black cat, and is already black in color.)

Sound is directly feeded to a pair PC speakers. :o

I am a lazy cat, I only wired the control for 1P so far. I was planed to complete the system months ago, but I just too busy playing the half completed system... :oops:

Go for bare bone, it's cool, it's charming, and it's save you time and money. :twisted:
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

You can easily find a Jamma harness with power supply all wired up on ebay for cheap. Don't know why you want 2 RCA jacks for sound if the jamma standard is mono. You will need an 8ohm speaker, or an 8ohm dummy load if you plan to wire a line out to an external sound amp/stereo.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Run a search through the neo-geo.com boards for an audio attenuation circuit (there might also be a thread here).

It won't matter if you're using speakers, but if you plan on feeding the audio from the PCB to a television set or amplifier, you will want to bring the audio back down to line level so you don't risk damaging your equipment.

As for the power supply, just go to any second-hand computer store and pick up an old AT power supply for a few bucks. There are people here who recommend against it, but personally I haven't had any problems.

And here's a shameless plug for one of my barebones superguns.
SAM

Post by SAM »

iatneH wrote:As for the power supply, just go to any second-hand computer store and pick up an old AT power supply for a few bucks. There are people here who recommend against it, but personally I haven't had any problems.
Does the AT power supply got -5V output? Some PCBs needs -5V to sound correctly.
iatneH wrote:And here's a shameless plug for one of my barebones superguns.
Oh, your supergun looks neat and tidy. :o Mine are just a bunch of wires connected to a JAMMA harness... :oops:
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
AntiPasta

Post by AntiPasta »

Ha! No Supergun is more bare-bone than mine!

Despite its looks, it works perfectly (European SCART woohoo, no need for much circuitry). And I really recommend putting potmeters on the RGB lines, for one you absolutely need them if you want to plug in an ST-V board.
...and suddenly, a very freaky wormhole opened, and 4 3-foot tall market analysts fell out...
thchardcore

hmm

Post by thchardcore »

A camel is a horse designed by a committee
Dave_K.

Re: hmm

Post by Dave_K. »

Yes it will. I bought this exact PS/Hanress from the same guy a couple months ago, but haven't had time to hook it up to my project cab yet (to many projects going on at once). Its a PC type power supply with plenty of amps and has -5V as well as +3.3V (if you want to hook up a naomi).
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I used a Din 8 like neo geo for the RGB output and bought a neo geo scart lead which fed a component transcoder from Australia.

In theory you could do the same thing except hack off the scart end of the cable and just connect the respective wires to a DB9 input type connector.

I have some of these connectors in Evansville but I ain't going there until Xmas. Otherwise I would sell you them cheaply for like a buck a piece. I also have DB15's, incidentally DB15's are a bitch to solder.

My supergun is not very pretty but it houses the AT PSU inside the casing and has all the bits and bobs on it.

Works fine with all the PCB's i've tried on it.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.