Devil Engine (PS4,Switch, PC) 2018- Hyakutarou music

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Sengoku Strider

Re: Devil Engine (PS4,Switch, PC) 2018- Hyakutarou music

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Marc wrote:It was released under the original title on Switch?
As I understand it:

Original title: Shenandoah: Daughter of the Stars
PC/OSX title: 1993 Space Machine
Switch title (at least in Japanese): 1993 Shenandoah
Samuray

Post by Samuray »

This ain't never coming out. :cry:

https://theotakuauthority.com/devil-eng ... ermission/

Sounded too good to be true anyway, with that Shenandoa bonus game and all. Aww man, what a letdown after that amazing announcement today.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Samuray wrote:This ain't never coming out. :cry:

https://theotakuauthority.com/devil-eng ... ermission/

Sounded too good to be true anyway, with that Shenandoa bonus game and all. Aww man, what a letdown after that amazing announcement today.
Oh, screw them...
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

That composer statement has a lot of super weird things about it.

Like, I'm not saying it's fake, or anything. It just seems to be authored by someone more than little naive...
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Qwesta is a great guy, but just like the last time this debacle was up, it reads to me like he got thrown under the bus due to his own mistakes.
I'm not even sure you could really blame Sinoc either, I think no one did the right professional thing during the development on the game, and the moment actual corporations get involved when the game needs publishing, no one is getting paid unelss they are contractually obligated to be paid.

Of course I don't know the details, but that's how it comes across.

It's a sad state, but I'm more interested in being able to enjoy the game and the soundtrack than I am in whoever is getting financial compensation.
MJR

Post by MJR »

I have worked in game industry since 1994, and the nature of the beast is that if you don't sign contracts, you will be ripped off completely. Also, it was common for naive teenagers in the nineties to work on games without contracts, blindly trusting that they would be compensated later.

Such is game industry.
Last edited by MJR on Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
ryu

Post by ryu »

MJR wrote:Of course I don't know the details, but that's how it comes across.
That's how I felt about this too. Seems to be a common story in the industry. Shame the game wasn't available on cartridge/disc on release.
retracted
Was that for a small developer or a large corporation? What would your position have been?
Last edited by ryu on Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
MJR

Post by MJR »

ryu wrote:
That's how I felt about this too. Seems to be a common story in the industry. Shame the game wasn't available on cartridge/disc on release.
Was that for a small developer or a large corporation? What would your position have been?
Looks like I had already forgotten the discussion few pages back, where I said flinging dirt at employer anonymously is not professional behaviour. At least I didn't name the employer. I will not say anything. I have removed my text and I would appreciate if you did so as well.
ryu

Post by ryu »

MJR wrote:
ryu wrote:
Looks like I had already forgotten the discussion few pages back, where I said flinging dirt at employer anonymously is not professional behaviour. At least I didn't name the employer. I will not say anything. I have removed my text and I would appreciate if you did so as well.
I think it's completely fine. People need to talk about these issues so society can improve to be better. Still, I removed your quote as requested.

I was only curious if your position would have been worth the terrible work conditions, I didn't want to know anything that would identify the employer. I imagine a lot of gamedev labor these days is just cog-in-the-machine work. In that case I don't see the point why anyone would want to work such a job.
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
MJR

Post by MJR »

ryu wrote: I think it's completely fine. People need to talk about these issues so society can improve to be better. Still, I removed your quote as requested.
Thank you, I appreciate it :)

What I can share publicly is my game industry comic I did back in the day, many years ago. I have been translating it into english whenever I have time. It's a fictional comic, but it touches many of the problems game industry has or had, and it is inspired by my own experiences as well as industry stories. I am hoping to translate more pages when I get some time, the whole work is over 200 pages long.
Samuray

Post by Samuray »

So are we expecting the physical to come out or be scrapped?
ryu

Post by ryu »

Samuray wrote:So are we expecting the physical to come out or be scrapped?
I guess it depends on the contents of the contracts the programmer had with the artists he commissioned... if there had been any contracts at all.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Devil Engine: Complete Edition for PS5, Xbox Series, PS4, Xbox One, and Switch delayed to November 9 (previous was Oct 12)

(I'm starting to really hate Gematsu's penchant for cutting and pasting press releases, yet not linking to the original. So I'm not going to link to his copy/paste. Fuck that guy. Anyway, what's not in the release--so dude didn't copy/paste it--is that the dev said they'll make an announcement about the PC version on Oct 12. Nice that his readers do that whole 'journalism' thing for him)
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Coming out soon. I'm just curious as to what Ignition has in store for us.
Samuray

Post by Samuray »

Samuray wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:24 pm So are we expecting the physical to come out or be scrapped?
It's coming out tomorrow, supposedly, but I will only fully believe it when I hold a copy in my hands a few days after. Feels surreal to finally get it :)
ThundergunExpress

Post by ThundergunExpress »

My preorder shipped a few days ago, so I guess I can at least confirm if it's real when I get it lol. I'm 95% sure at this point, at least.
Samuray

Post by Samuray »

That sounds promising! :)
Amazon JP hasn't sent out mine yet though, so good to hear yours is in the wild by now.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Is it Japan only, though? Can't we just download it?
ThundergunExpress

Post by ThundergunExpress »

I honestly have no idea if there is a planned Western physical release, but I ordered the Japanese version on Playasia.

I'm pretty sure it's been out on the US eShop for years though so you can buy it digitally if you have a US region account right now. If you're hesitant on the physical due to language the physical has English as well as Japanese. It's also cheaper than buying the game plus DLC full price digital.

Edit: I should have specified that I was only talking about the Switch version. For some reason I assumed it had been released on PS4/5 already.
Last edited by ThundergunExpress on Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Samuray

Post by Samuray »

xxx1993 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:07 am Is it Japan only, though? Can't we just download it?
You probably can, but I loathe download games. Believe me, I tried - back then before 2015 when cool indie games were digital only. Bought close to 100 on X360, PS3 and Wii each, but rarely enjoyed them. Just need a physical medium to be happy. :)
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Either way, this game is on my list. I can't tell if I should have this for my birthday or for Christmas, though.
Darkseed_5150

Post by Darkseed_5150 »

On the Playstation store, there's no price or release date but there's a countdown for release in 45 mins.

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/concept/10005786
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

It's available on PS/Xbox, but hasn't got to Switch yet
I'm going to take a wild guess and say it's due to there being two different distributors for whatever reason (XStation = Poppy/Switch = Wolfgame)
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Just died 179 times. :D
Holy SHIT this DLC is hard.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Playing on Very Easy or Very Hard?
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

There's only one difficulty for the DLC.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Weird, I thought Ignition had “Very Easy” or “Very Hard”…
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I've turned the game off, but maybe the option has been switched around and I wasn't seeing it.
But when I select Ignition mode, it takes me right to the game and there's no difficulty select prior.

Also, the last boss is...not good. The dark portals he shoots are the same color as the black background. I straight up can't see them so it might as well be random where things are coming from. Each phase kind of has a visibility issue but phase 1 is worse. Rest of the mode is actually even more clear than the base game, but it almost feels intentional to not be able to see the final boss's emitters. It's such a drastic contrast.

Get it? "CONTRAST???"
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I’m trying to find videos of Ignition but I’m not seeing anything on YouTube. Is the final boss really that bad? Or not as good as the one in the main game?
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Yeah, there's no clears yet.
Last boss isn't atrocious or anything, but the visibility is not good on his portals. The bullets and lasers themselves are fine, but it's where they're coming from. His attack where he sends his...his things, those prism things after you through portals. It's extremely hard to dodge them.
Last edited by XoPachi on Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.