Darius Cozmic Collection [Switch, PS4]

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
hyp36rmax

Re: Darius Cozmic Collection [Switch, PS4]

Post by hyp36rmax »

Ready let's go! Cozmic collection on Steam is amazing so far. Ultrawide support is clean AF!

https://i.imgur.com/txD6vsJ.jpeg
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

Rastan78 wrote: Still haven't sprung for it myself. Normally I'm the first in line to pay full price for M2 stuff, but the Japanese consumer version is over 7,000 yen on the Switch eshop, and I think 59.99 on the US shop. Ouch. The arcade version is cheaper and has the better games and value overall.
Considering the amount of years I kept pestering various companies for PC ports of the Darius arcade titles (well before these collections were a thing), I had to pick up this collection on day one even if it was at full price, but between the 20% launch discount, plus the additional discount for owning DARIUSBURST Chronicle Saviours, I ended up paying around 28€, which I found to be great price, considering the amount of content, and the quality of the presentation.

M2 even went the extra mile, and added a couple of extra functionalities for the PC version (mostly the multi-monitor support, which apparently works great, and "Body sonic in the home", an option that uses a subwoofer to simulate the original arcade's seat speaker).

I hope to see more and more of their work on PC/Steam. :)

hyp36rmax wrote:Ready let's go! Cozmic collection on Steam is amazing so far. Ultrawide support is clean AF!

https://i.imgur.com/txD6vsJ.jpeg
It looks great in your setup. How I envy you. ;)

A friend has a "weird" multi-monitor setup (weird, because the screens are all different), and he's singing wonders about the collection (he was able to setup things perfectly with the available multi-monitor options, and is playing the original Darius on 3 monitors).

So, it's great to see that M2 was able to get both ultra-wide and multi-monitor support working well.

As for me, I really need to connect my PC to one of my TVs, because the original Darius looks extremely small on my (decent sized) single monitor. :mrgreen:

But Darius II and Darius Gaiden look awesome, and sound even better.

One of the first things I did while sampling the collection was to take screenshots of the various "I ALWAYS WANTED A THING CALLED TUNA SASIMI" screens (and funnily enough, I unlocked 3 achievements, since there's one for each of the 3 versions available). :lol:
Skeet

Post by Skeet »

I've been anticipating this Steam release. Picked it up for $32 and change with the double discount for owning Dariusburst CS.

Haven't played much but pretty good from what I've seen so far. Details like the scoring in the bezel of Darius, maps on pause, are cool additions. Looks great even with a single monitor (I'm jelly of the multi-monitor setups)...this is going to be a fun ride.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Aw man, I have to double dip on this just for the multi-monitor support - thanks for the heads up, just learned about this version today. Dariusburst CS is great on Steam for that reason. I just hope this doesn't make me want to turn my 2 monitor setup into 3... :wink:
John4300

Post by John4300 »

I wonder since they have a package for this arcade collection and Dariusburst CS, would there be a chance that we would get an ACEX+ DLC for CS on PC too? I don't think it would be that difficult to include Murakumo, the event mode levels and maybe the extra loading screen translations as DLC.

The ghost score system is in the end kinda pointless, especially since I think you can only choose your own score or world top 1 score to compete against at least on Switch the last I checked.

I'm not sure in what kind of a limbo the port is in however, since Degica is one of the publishers, and they seemed to have problems getting the game working on all setups (Though I think Taito/Pyramid might have to done the programming in the end).

They did have a score event for the game just now too, so... Fingers crossed. :D
CRP

Post by CRP »

on sale on switch eshop
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

I have an extra sealed LRG version of Cosmic Revelation, but I want Cosmic Collection (Arcade). Anyone have an interest in a trade?
prophetic

Post by prophetic »

XtraSmiley wrote:I have an extra sealed LRG version of Cosmic Revelation,
Strictly Limited, right? LRG didn't do the Cozmic releases, I believe.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

In case there was any doubt this was going to happen:

Dariusburst CS (core) plus Sega and Taito DLC for Switch

(although Dariusburst AC still sits alone and sad in a darkened room...)
Steven

Post by Steven »

Am I the only one who finds all of these Dariusburst releases confusing as hell? Which one is which one, what are the major differences between them, what's the difference between AC, which they have over at Mikado, and the one on PC, which one is the best, and is it the one on PC? If not, have they said anything about it being on PC?

These are all rhetorical questions, so nobody has to answer them, especially since I'm not too lazy to do my own research in some cases but damn, it's like seeing all of the PC Engine hardware all laid out for the first time again.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Am I the only one who finds all of these Dariusburst releases confusing as hell?

They are. The best solution is to get the PC version which gives you everything.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:Am I the only one who finds all of these Dariusburst releases confusing as hell?

They are. The best solution is to get the PC version which gives you everything.
The PC version doesn't have the event mode from ACEX+ and is missing a ship too according to this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=68850
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

prophetic wrote:
XtraSmiley wrote:I have an extra sealed LRG version of Cosmic Revelation,
Strictly Limited, right? LRG didn't do the Cozmic releases, I believe.
Crap, I have both and got confused. The EXTRA one (for trade or sale if anyone wants) is Dariusburst CS Chronicle Saviours from Limited Run games (#48).

Man, there sure have been a lot of these things... :)

I'm still looking for the one that has all the arcade games...
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

XtraSmiley wrote:
prophetic wrote:
XtraSmiley wrote:
I'm still looking for the one that has all the arcade games...
Mine is still for sale, but shipping to the States from Korea is unfortunately very expensive these days.
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Bear78

Post by Bear78 »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:In case there was any doubt this was going to happen:

Dariusburst CS (core) plus Sega and Taito DLC for Switch

(although Dariusburst AC still sits alone and sad in a darkened room...)
This is getting a physical from SLG on Switch.

https://twitter.com/RealStrictlyLTD/sta ... GN9ug&s=19
Jbrodack

Post by Jbrodack »

BurlyHeart wrote:
m.sniffles.esq wrote:Am I the only one who finds all of these Dariusburst releases confusing as hell?

The PC version doesn't have the event mode from ACEX+ and is missing a ship too according to this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=68850
What's missing on the steam version is trivial compared to the whole CS mode being chopped out of the initial switch release. I have the steam release and no desire to get the switch version. Maybe if they included all dlc or something.
Steven

Post by Steven »

The only thing that I've been able to figure out is that apparently there is no definitive version of Dariusburst, and that every version is missing something. Is that about right? I'm honestly not sure about even that. Great job, Taito.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Jbrodack wrote:
BurlyHeart wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=68850
What's missing on the steam version is trivial compared to the whole CS mode being chopped out of the initial switch release. I have the steam release and no desire to get the switch version. Maybe if they included all dlc or something.
Trivial to you maybe. I don't really play the CS mode but would love additional arcade stages on my PC version.
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

So they packaging half of the ps4 release as a Switch release. Pretty weird ideia…
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

So this is the older version of Dariusburst coming to Switch after it already got Another Chronicle EX+?

Somebody else can claim my copy. I am completely done with variations of this old PSP game.
John4300

Post by John4300 »

ACEX+ should have been a DLC if they are still supporting Chronicle Saviours...

Besides, getting Chronicle Saviours on Steam is more worth it than getting ACEX+ on Switch/PS4, since dual screen/ultrawide support for default ACEX it comes with is better than anything what they added on Plus, and it's on discount on nearly every Steam sale.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

This might be the second-most milked shmup of all time, with Ikaruga being the first.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

The really confusing thing is that the PS4 has both Another Chronicle EX+ and the full DBCS with the original AC EX.
EmperorIng wrote:This might be the second-most milked shmup of all time, with Ikaruga being the first.
No, Space Invaders is. One of the games even has a bonus round where you rescue cows from flying saucers. ;)
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Right, so what actually is this? 200 odd stages... are they presented as contiguous blocks of 6 or so, like individual games where you have 3 lives to get through? Or is it literally like modernised old games where it's a long story mode for which you get 3 lives to clear each stage and nothing carries over?

The existing Dariusburst on Switch is nice, but at 3 stages each run is on the short side - so it'd be nice to have a more traditional length.
John4300

Post by John4300 »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:Right, so what actually is this? 200 odd stages... are they presented as contiguous blocks of 6 or so, like individual games where you have 3 lives to get through? Or is it literally like modernised old games where it's a long story mode for which you get 3 lives to clear each stage and nothing carries over?

The existing Dariusburst on Switch is nice, but at 3 stages each run is on the short side - so it'd be nice to have a more traditional length.
(NOTE: This message is edited, the switch version doesn't have AC mode)

The game is rather odd how it works. It's split between two screen arcade (AC) mode, and single screen CS mode.

In AC mode, when you start the game you are given choice between original, EX or Chronicle. (Chronicle is not CS mode).

Original and EX modes are classic branching path Darius modes where you start from one of three stages, and there are 3 stages in total each run. This mode is meant more for scoring, but it's not difficult to get 1CC so scoring feels like you can get into it rather early compared to many other shmups.

Chronicle mode is confusing at first, but what you do is essentially is that you choose a planet, and then a hexagon (If I recall correctly) that is connected to a cleared stage on a grid. Hexagons can have a clear condition (Clear without using a continue, must have 3 players). While this mode has "300 stages", it's split into 3 to 5 stage packs which recycle around 30 or so backgrounds in the game with different or similar enemy patterns and a random boss at the end of each stage (Sometimes it might be a boss rush of several bosses in a row).

Now CS mode, the single screen one, is somewhat similar to Chronicle mode: You move on a map, choose a stage which is anything between 1 to 10 stages, being mix of levels and bosses, you start with different loadouts where in some stages you are given stronger weapons or more shield, in some stages you get power ups and in some others you don't. I think the final level if you use default loadout is much more difficult than what AC has to offer, Gigantic Bite is much more difficult boss and is unique to CS mode. There's something like... At least 100 unique combinations (stages) of backgrounds/bosses here kinda like on Chronicle mode on AC side, as well as three new bosses and Murakumo ship.

Oh yes, then there is also DLC mode which is CS mode minus where you can choose stages from a list, but this is the only place where you can use DLC ships...

All in all, I don't recommend buying this on Switch, AC mode can't be extended to a superwide screen or two screens, and it doesn't have all the DLC (Which isn't that much of a deal) and on top of that it still doesn't have ACEX+ content (That's extra 40$ if you want to play that ?! )

Buy it on Steam instead, as I said earlier it's on sale commonly and you can play the AC mode better if that is what you like in the end.

EDIT: Read more about this quickly: Seemingly this switch version doesn't even have the AC mode in it? And CS mode has new stuff? Why isn't this all a DLC for the steam version now? It's kind of ... Stupid.
mrsmiley381

Post by mrsmiley381 »

John4300 wrote:EDIT: Read more about this quickly: Seemingly this switch version doesn't even have the AC mode in it? And CS mode has new stuff? Why isn't this all a DLC for the steam version now? It's kind of ... Stupid.
Best case scenario it's a timed exclusive feature that will be ported to the PC version after the fact. Worst case scenario it's a version-exclusive feature intended to have you double/triple/quadruple/quintuple dip on a game that's had numerous releases previous incremental releases.

Ideally the PC version should be the ultimate and lead version of the game since you can run it at a resolution 4X the native arcade version on an ultrawide monitor. That being said, not everyone has an ultrawide monitor and a lot of people want to play the missions on in handheld mode for bite-size fun on the train or a car ride, which I imagine is the "intended use case" of this version.
Why is it called the Vic Viper/Warp Rattler? Because the Options trail behind it in a serpent-like fashion, and the iconic front fins are designed to invoke the image of a snake's fangs.
CRP

Post by CRP »

Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Excellent graphic and even then it's confusing as fuck.
Steven

Post by Steven »

This is ridiculous. Does nobody at Taito have the brains to realize that there is no excuse for every version to not have everything? Yes, they have to pay to license the other companies' ships and stuff, but there are no excuses for the rest of it.
Lander

Post by Lander »

I'll have to forward that chart my accountant and see which version of Dariusburst he recommends.