Darius Cozmic Collection [Switch, PS4]

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
To Far Away Times

Re: Darius Cozmic Collection [Switch, PS4]

Post by To Far Away Times »

I would pass on the core version. AC mode is the meat and potatoes of the game. The AC EX+ release also has replay saving while Darius Burst Chronicle Saviors does not. Chronicle Saviors has CS mode which I found to be filler but atleast its there for people who want it and you still get the whole arcade game as well.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Lander wrote:I'll have to forward that chart my accountant and see which version of Dariusburst he recommends.
That may all depend on marital status, number of dependents and income bracket. Also don't forget to make double copies of that chart and keep one in a fireproof lockbox just in case.

BTW the same guy took pics of the various Darius setups at Hey arcade so you can see the layout they use.

https://twitter.com/goji_guy/status/157 ... lVHZA&s=19

Especially interesting to see the 4 different auto buttons used for G Darius. You know it's getting crazy when the standard six button layout isn't enough and you have to drill a new hole in the panel.
To Far Away Times

That G-Darius panel is something else.

There was a point they needed to stop at and they just kept going and going.

A Darius game should never use more buttons than Street Fighter.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

To Far Away Times wrote:That G-Darius panel is something else.

There was a point they needed to stop at and they just kept going and going.

A Darius game should never use more buttons than Street Fighter.
Here's Gradius with a 7 button setup also:
Spoiler
And you thought a 3 or 4 button panel would be enough for any shmup? lol

Another interesting thing I've seen is mapping Start to a regular button ie where light kick would be on SF for some Raizing games. That way you can do the special inputs like activating score display much easier without having to reach over to the start button or take one hand off the stick.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

It was £30 so I pre-ordered it, seemed like a decent amount of stuff in there however.... yeah, this:
Steven wrote:This is ridiculous. Does nobody at Taito have the brains to realize that there is no excuse for every version to not have everything? Yes, they have to pay to license the other companies' ships and stuff, but there are no excuses for the rest of it.
On Switch it is fairly bonkers:

Cozmic Collection JP Regular (just arcade)
Cozmic Collection JP Special (arcade plus console)
Cozmic Collection JP Special Amazon edition (arcade plus console plus Sagaia GB)
Cozmic Collection Arcade Western
Cozmic Collection Console Western
Cozmic Revelation JP (G-Darius, Dariusburst: Another Chronicle EX+)
Cozmic Revelation Western (G-Darius, Dariusburst: Another Chronicle EX+, Sagaia GB)
G-Darius
Dariusburst: Another Chronicle EX+
G-Darius v2 and PSX, via update to anything with G-Darius on it
Dariusburst CS Core

It's fairly bizarre how the JP editions of Cozmic Collection went, but the Western releases made sense at least. And then they shit the bed - G-Darius was the major omission given Dariusburst: Another Chronicle EX+ was already on Dariusburst Chronicle Saviours. Solution: sell G-Darius with half of Dariusburst Chronicle Saviours.... then sell the two things separately anyway. And then decide to add alternate G-Darius versions post-release instead of just having them in from the start. Definitely don't just port Chronicle Saviours. Huh?!

While I don't think it's especially gouging given the amount of stuff on the three Cozmics and low price of CS Core, it surely made more sense to port Chronicle Saviours and release G-Darius (complete) standalone? They've just created a lot of work for themselves and a lot of confusion for customers.

MIA: Darius MD, Super Darius (both mini console exclusives), Super Darius 2 and Darius R (both never re-released) - so when's the next compilation :roll:

It does seem like it's Taito - the Space Invaders collection at least only has two versions (the big collection and the budget priced 4 game one) but it too is missing stuff for no discernable reason. The Ray compilation has a cut down retail version with the best game, Rayforce, removed. Presumably because they allowed Ciy Connection to release it standalone, but as the Sega Saturn version. There's just no strategy to it at all!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

TransatlanticFoe wrote: It does seem like it's Taito - the Space Invaders collection at least only has two versions (the big collection and the budget priced 4 game one) but it too is missing stuff for no discernable reason.
Before the 4 game one, there were two different JP versions, a regular and limited edition. The limited had two extra early taito game, Lunar Rescue and Space Cyclone. The former lacked these two games, but was otherwise the same as the current full collection. To make matters more confusing, the two limited exclusive games were later added to the standard version for free in an update, with the full collection now being sold in stores and in the eShop.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:MIA: Darius MD, Super Darius (both mini console exclusives)
Darius MD did, at least, get a physical Mega Drive cart release 2 years back.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Yeah but I'm not counting original hardware, especially when it doesn't work properly on a lot of models!
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Can someone quickly summarize what AC has that Core does not? Why is that the better game?
pulsemod

Post by pulsemod »

you could still call it personal preference, but

AC EX+ is an enhanced version of the arcade version of the game, with a few new stages and music. it runs in 32:9

CS Core is only the Chronicle Saviours mode (and some DLC for it). you progress through a stage select map with branching paths. there's nearly 200 stages. it runs in 16:9

CS (PS4/Vita/PC) contains both the AC and CS modes, with slightly less content in each mode than the equivalent split version.

some people love CS mode, some people can't get into it at all
Lander

Post by Lander »

Rastan78 wrote:That may all depend on marital status, number of dependents and income bracket. Also don't forget to make double copies of that chart and keep one in a fireproof lockbox just in case.
He got back to me, and it seems there's little benefit to be had unless I take a second job and register for VAT :? PC version is it then.
Rastan78 wrote: BTW the same guy took pics of the various Darius setups at Hey arcade so you can see the layout they use.

Especially interesting to see the 4 different auto buttons used for G Darius. You know it's getting crazy when the standard six button layout isn't enough and you have to drill a new hole in the panel.
Rad, and that authentic arcade low-lighting too. Though by my measure, the problem space hasn't been fully explored until we have a full 3x5 matrix enumerating each of the button-rate permutations.
Absolute control, at the low low price of having your hands fall off from the inevitable contortions :mrgreen:
To Far Away Times

pulsemod wrote:some people love CS mode, some people can't get into it at all
I wish I could love CS mode. Its just so much of a copy and paste job that its hard to have much enthusiasm playing it.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Anyone come across this audio bug in Darius Gaiden Cozmic? Listen for the annoying high pitched sound after the Warning!! screen.
https://youtu.be/unS5ukwdurs

Happens every so often for me playing the Switch version. I'm gonna guess this doesn't happen on the original PCB or MAME?
John4300

Post by John4300 »

Rastan78 wrote:Anyone come across this audio bug in Darius Gaiden Cozmic? Listen for the annoying high pitched sound after the Warning!! screen.
https://youtu.be/unS5ukwdurs

Happens every so often for me playing the Switch version. I'm gonna guess this doesn't happen on the original PCB or MAME?
I have not had this bug on the PC version of Cozmic Collection, but the note sounds like it's going to start the wrong song, Burst Out, which plays on Zone B boss. Are you mashing up and down to select a random zone after zone A or selecting Zone C really fast? Just thinking it might be some kind of a loading bug.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

I'm just selecting Zone C normally. At startup of a new game I have a tendency to hit the credit button early though. This game will allow you to input a credit even before the attract mode has fully loaded in. No idea if that could have anything to do with it?
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

I read there was practice mode on console edition switch but I can't see any references to it? Any idea how to access it? Cheers
Jucksalbe

Post by Jucksalbe »

dmk1198 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:53 pm I read there was practice mode on console edition switch but I can't see any references to it? Any idea how to access it? Cheers
Pretty sure that's only available for the arcade games. Some of the console games have additional challenge modes, but I think that's it.