consolized neo geo

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
DasFool

Re: consolized neo geo

Post by DasFool »

Has anyone tried the CBOX that is both a CMVS and JAMMA Super Gun? I see 3 different versions listed two looking basically the same but the third having a cable with male and female JAMMA edge connectors. I can't be sure, but it looks like they are all using a DB15 connector for JAMMA which doesn't seem possible. I want to believe in this because having one box able to handle both my MVS carts and PCBs sounds incredibly convenient but I don't understand how it is possible over a single DB15 cable...
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

I posted this in the ossc thread but this is probably better

I have been looking out for a dfo to bring the speed on my Cmvs up to a correct 59.94mhz as my tv displays it at 59hz. This gives me screen tearing on scrolling games, which is most of them.

Would it be too simple a solution to take a functioning Crystal from a broken old genesis and perform a crystal swap? Has anyone tried a direct transplant like that?
I’m wondering if that would work
Ryoandr

Post by Ryoandr »

LDigital wrote:I posted this in the ossc thread but this is probably better

I have been looking out for a dfo to bring the speed on my Cmvs up to a correct 59.94mhz as my tv displays it at 59hz. This gives me screen tearing on scrolling games, which is most of them.

Would it be too simple a solution to take a functioning Crystal from a broken old genesis and perform a crystal swap? Has anyone tried a direct transplant like that?
I’m wondering if that would work
Genesis uses a 4 pin crystal oscillator, while MVS/AES use a 2 pin crystal.
Genesis has a ~53mhz master crystal anyway.
AES and CD use a 24.167829MHz crystal, which bring it closer to NTSC 59.94hz (but not quite). However I can't seem to find such frequency on ebay/aliexpress...
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

I have the 2 pin ntsc crystal removed from my nes when I did the dejitter mod. Would that work or just introduce jitter? It’s not from the crystal is it?
theclaw

Post by theclaw »

I don't particularly need a video encoder. The XRGB Mini will do that.
And my 2 slot board already has SNK controller ports. I've frankly never been impressed by the Japanese Saturn pad, cue the lynch mob fans.

The tough part is probably finding someone willing/able, at any expense, to build a GREAT console-quality chassis for a 2 slot MVS.
Bratwurst

Post by Bratwurst »

Could anyone in here measure resistance between pin 126 (csync) and ground of the LSPC-A0 chip if they happen to have one on their MVS/AES? It is the earlier iteration of the graphic chip, not the LSPC2-A2.

I am getting 5 ohms on mine (practically continuity) and the csync signal on this AES I am working on seems low as a consequence. I unfortunately don't have another system to reference so I don't know for sure.
theclaw wrote:I don't particularly need a video encoder. The XRGB Mini will do that.
And my 2 slot board already has SNK controller ports. I've frankly never been impressed by the Japanese Saturn pad, cue the lynch mob fans.

The tough part is probably finding someone willing/able, at any expense, to build a GREAT console-quality chassis for a 2 slot MVS.
You talking about an enclosure or the video/power interface? I was thinking of making a housing out of hardwood for a future 2 slot someone's going to be sending me.
Kez

Post by Kez »

LDigital wrote:I have the 2 pin ntsc crystal removed from my nes when I did the dejitter mod. Would that work or just introduce jitter? It’s not from the crystal is it?
The thing is the MVS refresh rate is not direct from the crystal, it is derived from the core system clock which is 24 Mhz. In order to get a standard NTSC refresh rate, the system clock needs to be changed to 24.30590978 Mhz. I don't think you can get a crystal at this frequency, which is why a DFO is required.
theclaw

Post by theclaw »

Bratwurst wrote:Could anyone in here measure resistance between pin 126 (csync) and ground of the LSPC-A0 chip if they happen to have one on their MVS/AES? It is the earlier iteration of the graphic chip, not the LSPC2-A2.

I am getting 5 ohms on mine (practically continuity) and the csync signal on this AES I am working on seems low as a consequence. I unfortunately don't have another system to reference so I don't know for sure.
theclaw wrote:I don't particularly need a video encoder. The XRGB Mini will do that.

You talking about an enclosure or the video/power interface? I was thinking of making a housing out of hardwood for a future 2 slot someone's going to be sending me.
The enclosure. I don't know where I could get a housing made that's comparable to an AES.
DasFool

Post by DasFool »

DasFool wrote:Has anyone tried the CBOX that is both a CMVS and JAMMA Super Gun?...
I have obtained a bit more info from the seller:
"Hi, it ... can play Neo Geo game cartridge and any JAMMA game board, yes, it support two players with 3 to 6 buttons each in JAMMA mode, all video and audio output through RGBS or YCBCR or S-video or AV of the CBOX output to the TV..."
Also:
"Hi, i had changed resistor to reduce the voltage of the RGBS sync line and add stereo mod, the stereo sound output from RCA plug, thank you"
I still don't understand how it gets everything over a db15 cable but I'm definitely interested.
LDigital

consolized neo geo

Post by LDigital »

Kez wrote:
LDigital wrote:I have the 2 pin ntsc crystal removed from my nes when I did the dejitter mod. Would that work or just introduce jitter? It’s not from the crystal is it?
The thing is the MVS refresh rate is not direct from the crystal, it is derived from the core system clock which is 24 Mhz. In order to get a standard NTSC refresh rate, the system clock needs to be changed to 24.30590978 Mhz. I don't think you can get a crystal at this frequency, which is why a DFO is required.
I managed to find a crystal that did the job

https://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/abr ... cycode=GBP

I detached the old crystal

Soldered some wires to the new one, which is so rediculously small I could barely do it

In/out on opposite corners. Ground on the other corner

I soldered the input/output (polarity doesn’t matter) and the ground cable to the little metal strap that covers the old crystal

The ground cable is not pictured as I did it after but you can see the metal strap in pic. Ignore the spiders nest of other wires.

Reassembled and voila! It works

My mvs now outputs 60.31hz which my ossc and Sony both like. It’s got rid of all screen tearing and everything works fine

The only concern is that I am not sure if this is electrically sound as far as load. I don’t know what sort of voltage used to run through the old crystal and whether the new one is being overloaded or not. Someone smarter than me can probably answer that. I played for a few hours last night and everything seemed sweet.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

This is all pretty impressive to a guy who knows nothing about electronics.
Ceirt

Post by Ceirt »

DasFool wrote:Has anyone tried the CBOX that is both a CMVS and JAMMA Super Gun? I see 3 different versions listed two looking basically the same but the third having a cable with male and female JAMMA edge connectors. I can't be sure, but it looks like they are all using a DB15 connector for JAMMA which doesn't seem possible. I want to believe in this because having one box able to handle both my MVS carts and PCBs sounds incredibly convenient but I don't understand how it is possible over a single DB15 cable...
Hi there (sorry for the bad english)
i just bought one of these with help of a friend in guangzhou. I'll upload some pictures when I get the console

but here is the pinout of the db15

and this is the same cable but used as an ¨extension jamma cable¨
DasFool

Post by DasFool »

Thanks for the info. That looks like the pinout for the controllers which is useful but what I'm curious about is the pinout for the 15 pin JAMMA cable.
Ceirt

Post by Ceirt »

DasFool wrote:Thanks for the info. That looks like the pinout for the controllers which is useful but what I'm curious about is the pinout for the 15 pin JAMMA cable.
my bad :oops: , i will take some pictures of the pcb

pd:
looks like timeharvest sells the extension cable
https://aliexpress.com/store/product/Ne ... 3830.pic_7

and here are the links for the cable and the new 2 in 1 mvs on taobao
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=588051423682
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=586469105675
DasFool

Post by DasFool »

I ended up ordering the new CBOX/JAMMA console. I'll post more once it arrives. I'd like to have a RGB SCART cable ready for when it arrives. The seller says it uses "8P NEOGEO RGBS". From what I'm reading, Neo Geo RGB SCART cables only support mono audio. If I want RGB SCART and stereo does this look like the right cable to use?

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/neo ... CART-CABLE
jd213

Post by jd213 »

I got the one for the NGCD since the Timeharvest boxes have RCA audio jacks, although I just use audio cables direct to my receiver and not the audio part of the NGCD cable.
DasFool

Post by DasFool »

jd213 wrote:I got the one for the NGCD since the Timeharvest boxes have RCA audio jacks, although I just use audio cables direct to my receiver and not the audio part of the NGCD cable.
Sounds good. I went with the Neo Geo CD cable with stereo rca inputs. I use a SCART switch for routing both audio and video so this seems like a good solution.
Einhandr

Post by Einhandr »

Hopefully my question makes sense. Which would give the best results from the CBOX, a set of component cables using the YPbPr connectors, or using the RGBs connector with a set of HD Retrovision cables with the appropriate adapter (Saturn I think)? Or would the results be the same?