Deinterlacing PS2 Games Tutorial & Working/Non-Working List

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
BigBoss1964

Re: Deinterlacing PS2 Games Tutorial & Working/Non-Working L

Post by BigBoss1964 »

BigBoss1964 wrote:Confirmed working in 240p with hexedit or GSM 0.23. Looks great too!! :D

Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol 16: Virtua Fighter 2 (Japan)
Virtua Fighter 10th Anniversary Collection - Japan
Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution - USA
Midway Arcade Treasures 2 - USA
Midway Arcade Treasures 3 - USA (Use OPL mode 4 [Skip FMV] as "Rush the Rock" gives black screen at startup due to FMV. Use latest OPNPS2LD 1.1.0 or later)
Street Fighter Alpha Anthology USA - (no OPL mode needed)
Capcom Classics Collection Vol 1. USA
Capcom Classics Collection Vol 2. USA (Doesn't look too great in 240p. It has 480p mode so probably better with that)
Vampire: Darkstalkers collection - Japan. (Hold R1 when starting PS2. Browse to OPL.Elf file and launch it from there instead of browser FMBT GUI. Mode 6)
Neo Geo Vol 10. KOF 98 Ultimate Match - Japan (Doesn't look too great in 240p. It has 480p mode so probably better with that)
Metal Slug Anthology (US)
Virtua Cop Re-Birth (Japan)
Virtua Cop Elite Edition (Eur)
Time Crisis: Crisis Zone (USA)
Sega Ages 2500 Vol.. 08: Virtua Racing (only works from the Sega Ages 2500 [USGR-99998] Collection Hack)[tested with GSM 0.23]
Sega Ages 2500 Vol. ?: Fighting Vipers (only works from the Sega Ages 2500 [USGR-99998] Collection Hack)[tested with GSM 0.23]
Sega Ages 2500 Vol. ?: Outrun [tested with GSM 0.23]
Wipeout Fusion [tested with GSM 0.23][240p doesn't look great]
Star Wars: Racers Revenge [tested with GSM 0.23][240p doesn't look great]
Marvel vs Capcom 2 [tested with GSM 0.23][240p doesn't look great]
SVC Chaos: SNK vs Capcom: Works however top of screen is glitchy. [tested with GSM 0.23]
Capcom Vs SNK 2 [tested with GSM 0.23]
KOF: Neowave [tested with GSM 0.23]
Ridge Racer V - Cannot be 240p Hex edited as the needed hex-strings to change 480i to 240p not present in the .BIN file [Works if OPL Mode 6 and using GSM 0.23]
Tekken Tag Tournament - Cannot be 240p Hex edited as the needed hex-strings to change 480i to 240p not present in the .BIN file [Works if no FMV patch and using GSM 0.23]
Time Crisis 2 (USA) - Black screen after guncon calibration due to FMV with hexedit [Works with GSM 0.23]
NeoGeo Online Collection Vol. 3 - The King of Fighters - Orochi-hen (Japan) - Black screen after a few starting logos. Probably at FMV. [Works if using GSM 0.23 and using KOF 10-in-1 Collection Hack]
Gunavari Collection and Time Crisis - Japan (A hidden gem. Native 240p)
NeoGeo Online Collection Vol. 1 - Garou - Mark of the Wolves (Japan)
NeoGeo Online Collection Vol. 7 - The King of Fighters - Nests Hen (Japan) [Works if using GSM 0.23][Has the KOF 99 Evo with 3D backgrounds and some other changes]
89 Arcade Classics [USGR-99999]: [Note this has the original KOF 99 arcade version with 2D backgrounds]
KOF Maximum Impact 2/KOF 2006
Tekken 4

NeoGeo Online Collection Vol. 8 - Fuuun Super Combo (Japan) Native 240p [cold boot i.e. hold R1 when powering up PS2. you will enter ULaunchElf console. From there navigate to OPL. Game mode 6 (disable IGR). Note: If using OPL OPNPS2LD-v1.2.0-Beta, cold boot not needed. Just use OPL mode 4 [Skip FMV] and 6 [Disable IGR]. Doesn't work if forced into 240p using GSM 0.23 as it is not compatible with OPL OPNPS2LD-v1.1.0- or 1.2.0-Beta and skipping FMV only truly works in those OPL versions.

NeoGeo Online Collection Vol. 6 - Garou Densetsu Battle Archive 2 (Japan) Native 240p [cold boot i.e. hold R1 when powering up PS2. you will enter ULaunchElf console. From there navigate to OPL. Game mode 6 (disable IGR). Note: If using OPL OPNPS2LD-v1.2.0-Beta, cold boot not needed. Just use OPL mode 4 [Skip FMV] and 6 [Disable IGR]. Doesn't work if forced into 240p using GSM 0.23 as it is not compatible with OPL OPNPS2LD-v1.1.0- or 1.2.0-Beta and skipping FMV only truly works in those OPL versions.

NeoGeo Online Collection Vol. 2 - Bakumatsu Roman - Gekka no Kenshi 1, 2 (Japan) [Last Blade 1+2 collection][Hexedit to 240p. [cold boot i.e. hold R1 when powering up PS2. you will enter ULaunchElf console. From there navigate to OPL. OPL mode 4[Skip FMV] 6[disable IGR. Doesn't work if forced into 240p using GSM 0.23. Note: If using OPL OPNPS2LD-v1.2.0-Beta, cold boot not needed. Just use OPL mode 4 [Skip FMV] and 6 [Disable IGR]. Doesn't work if forced into 240p using GSM 0.23 as it is not compatible with OPL OPNPS2LD-v1.1.0- or 1.2.0-Beta and skipping FMV only truly works in those OPL versions.

Not working in 240p using hex edit or GSM 0.23. :(

Street Fighter Anniversary Collection - Black screen, doesn't boot
Hyper Street Fighter 2 - Europe - Black screen, doesn't boot
Time Crisis 3 (USA) - Black screen after guncon calibration due to FMV
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

"Capcom Vs SNK 2 [tested with GSM 0.23]"

Interesting, I guess I need to try this version of GSM. What made MvC2 look bad btw?
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Gunstar wrote:Interesting, I guess I need to try this version of GSM. What made MvC2 look bad btw?
I don't know firsthand, but doesn't MvC2 have 640x480 backgrounds? I imagine that wouldn't look so good downscaled to 320x240

But I don't know if that's why BigBoss didn't like it
BigBoss1964

Post by BigBoss1964 »

BazookaBen wrote:
Gunstar wrote:Interesting, I guess I need to try this version of GSM. What made MvC2 look bad btw?
I don't know firsthand, but doesn't MvC2 have 640x480 backgrounds? I imagine that wouldn't look so good downscaled to 320x240

But I don't know if that's why BigBoss didn't like it
Yes it has high-res backgrounds which dont translate well into 240p. plus the game uses billinear filtering to soften character sprites so they dont look too pixelated on HDTVs. Unfortunately billinear filtering cannot be switched off unlike some SNK games and that makes the filtered character sprites rather blurry in 240p. :(
azmun

Post by azmun »

BigBoss1964 wrote:Yes it has high-res backgrounds which dont translate well into 240p. plus the game uses billinear filtering to soften character sprites so they dont look too pixelated on HDTVs. Unfortunately billinear filtering cannot be switched off unlike some SNK games and that makes the filtered character sprites rather blurry in 240p. :(
This is something we've known for sometime but I never really delved into. So billinear filtering can be akin to the technique anti-aliasing (reducing pixels instead of jaggies). However, does this imply developers had in mind flat panel displays? Because not all 480i content is bad (i.e. blurry). Sometimes, I could barely make out if a game is 480i as it can look almost as good as 240p (e.g. Yu Suzuki Game Works on the DC). I read there are other methods used together with the mentioned technique such as MIP mapping which involve interpolation.

Does anyone know about other (better) methods for upscaling 240p content to 480i? Was trilinear or anisotropic filtering ever utilized? Or perhaps no filtering applied?
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

No filtering was rare (from N64 onwards) because they used it to mitigate interlace flicker.

However, does this imply developers had in mind flat panel displays?
A friend of mine I trust the most for these matters has some other theories which also make good sense, because flat panels were not the main display at all for home videogames back in the DC/early PS2 days - overscan and hardware discrepancies. When you're porting an arcade game with a native resolution bigger than 320x224 and keep it for the port, you're getting quite a bit of non-wanted overscan in many TV sets. This forced them to relocate the HUD in many ports for the 32bit systems, for example.

There's also the issue that not every home system could handle horizontal resolutions such as the 384 pixels of Capcom's systems. So if you just scale it up to 640x480 or 512x448 (and then just use the filter which better suits - for Yu Suzuki Game Works they likely just line doubled the graphics, so any light anti-flicker filter would likely do), the issue is solved, and very few complained then for the lack of 240p. The DC case is also special, as devs were kind of compelled to always include a 480p mode for VGA output (intended for PC CRTs, not flat panels), so a universal 640x480 frame (which I believe it's actually 720x480 with an active area of 640x480, precisely to avoid overscan issues) was the easiest solution.