Favorite Joysticks?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Rastan78

Re: Favorite Joysticks?

Post by Rastan78 »

Air Master Burst wrote:Really excited to try out the Qanba Gravity, I've been looking for a decent silent stick for ages. Might look into the Seimitsus too, though, especially if they release a silent version of the 56.
The silent stick based on a LS-56 just came out. You can get a normal clicky micro version as well.

Upgrades include a metal pivot, adjustable height non-rotating shaft, and new style gate with the octo shape from the nobi pro.

I've got one on the way, so I'll try to give some impressions later.

https://arcadeshock.com/products/seimit ... t-joystick
digitron

Post by digitron »

Rastan78 wrote:
Air Master Burst wrote:Really excited to try out the Qanba Gravity, I've been looking for a decent silent stick for ages. Might look into the Seimitsus too, though, especially if they release a silent version of the 56.
The silent stick based on a LS-56 just came out. You can get a normal clicky micro version as well.

Upgrades include a metal pivot, adjustable height non-rotating shaft, and new style gate with the octo shape from the nobi pro.

I've got one on the way, so I'll try to give some impressions later.

https://arcadeshock.com/products/seimit ... t-joystick
How do you like the SELS-70X-S? :D
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Rastan78 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:14 pm My mistake about swapping the switches. Looking at this pic it seems there is a different housing for each brand of switch. Also looks like they might be soldered down?
Spoiler
Idk it seems like this is a bit of a stretch to repurpose keyboard switches for a joystick? But I guess if they're nice to play that's all that matters. Looking at the two brands there's a big difference in the size of the stem that's meant to have a keycap attached. I could see where this would alter how hitting diagonals feels between the two since the actuator will grab the corner of the much wider Omron stem in a position where it wouldn't hit the Cherry?

Either way I'd be curious to try one as it's a pretty unique design.
Just wanted to respond to this now that I've tried both the Omron and Cherry MX versions of the Gravity stick. I find the wider, flatter Omron switches cause frequent undesired inputs in fighting games. The issue isn't noticeable in shmups, where a transition from e.g. up to up-right still happens as normal, but in SF Alpha I constantly find myself doing neutral jumps when I'm trying to get in or escape, and I can only assume it's because - despite tapping hard into the corner - I'm hitting up first by a hair. I'm sure this can be rectified with a bit of practice and increased precision on my part, but it doesn't happen at all with the Cherries, or any of the non-silent sticks I use, so I thought it worth pointing out as a heads-up. :)
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

digitron wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:38 pm How do you like the SELS-70X-S? :D
It's great. Definitely my preferred stick now. One caveat is with its fairly light tension and short engage it's possible to have the stick register opposite inputs when it snaps back to neutral. I love everything else about it and play a light touch so it's not an issue for me. For people who bang hard on the gate and let the stick flick back to neutral I may not recommend it.

As a side note I've come to like playing on silent reed switches, which has brought me to question the conventional wisdom that standard snap action switches are superior outside of their loudness. I can see why some don't want to give up that tactile bump that's in a snap action switch. For shmups at least I enjoy the speed and fluidity that comes with the reed switches.

One word of advice for anyone who makes the transition to a silent seimitsu stick is give it time to break in. I noticed mine were a bit squeaky in certain directions when brand new. After a full break in the squeaks went away and the sense of smoothness started to come through even more.
digitron

Post by digitron »

Rastan78 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:13 pm
digitron wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:38 pm How do you like the SELS-70X-S? :D
It's great. Definitely my preferred stick now. One caveat is with its fairly light tension and short engage it's possible to have the stick register opposite inputs when it snaps back to neutral. I love everything else about it and play a light touch so it's not an issue for me. For people who bang hard on the gate and let the stick flick back to neutral I may not recommend it.

As a side note I've come to like playing on silent reed switches, which has brought me to question the conventional wisdom that standard snap action switches are superior outside of their loudness. I can see why some don't want to give up that tactile bump that's in a snap action switch. For shmups at least I enjoy the speed and fluidity that comes with the reed switches.

One word of advice for anyone who makes the transition to a silent seimitsu stick is give it time to break in. I noticed mine were a bit squeaky in certain directions when brand new. After a full break in the squeaks went away and the sense of smoothness started to come through even more.
That's encouraging to hear about the squeaking going away after breaking it the silent switches. That was one of my issues with the LSQ-40, I guess I didn't give it enough time, lol. I've been using the non-silent (SELS-70X-F) myself in both my arcade stick and my Astro cab, I really like them. The shaft spacers are a nice touch to dial in the perfect height and the actuation to deadzone ratio is just about perfect for me.
The_Fix

Post by The_Fix »

This is my Qanba Dragon.
It has a Golden Lever in it.
It had a Bullet Lever in it. I liked it.
It had a LS-32 in it. I liked it.
It had a LS-52 in it. I liked it.
Now it has a Golden Lever in it.

It has a 3.5mm with sick bass, even a trouble-light.
Qanba Gravity buttons, black. With Silencers in them. I really like those.
The ball has "Stab and Stomp!!" engraved on it. I wish it was black.

But it never helped me win a game.
It never gave me a PB, or a 1CC.
I play Turf Masters on it.

Oh God it that rust?
Any sufficiently advanced game-play is indistinguishable from cheating. - Arthur C. Clarke Resume :wink:
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

I haven't changed the art on any of my sticks before*, but I had a Mayflash F500 sitting around not doing much (I seem to have bought a lot of sticks which only exist as rainy-day tinkering fodder), so I decided to slap one of the loading screen wallpapers from the Darius Cozmic Collection on it, with some tweaks provided by an Etsy modder. They warned me the art, which I'd ripped directly from the PS4 version, is a little low-res, and unfortunately there's no better example available anywhere. Still, I think it turned out okay!

It's now a dedicated Neo Geo stick for MiSTer, though, so there may be a slight thematic mismatch. Oh, and to keep things on-topic: LS-40, of course. :P

*Apart from when I had the Taito Egret II panel art printed on a perspex plexi for a Q4RAF.
Last edited by Klatrymadon on Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Super cool. :cool: Very functional too; it's not like you can read all of it during Cozmic itself's loadtimes, but it'd be nice to have during system bootups etc. :mrgreen: