4th Bay Area shmupmeet in San Jose, CA on Sat., Mar. 4, '06

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
BER

4th Bay Area shmupmeet in San Jose, CA on Sat., Mar. 4, '06

Post by BER »

The 4th Bay Area Shmupmeet
Saturday, March 4, 2006
San Jose, California
@ Dave_K.'s House

Dave_K. is hosting his fourth shmupmeet at his house in San Jose, California. This meet will begin at 10 a.m. and end at about 5 p.m. It will feature Raizing shmups and Ibara, a reincarnation of the Raizing shmup.

Attendance

Attendees, please bring five dollars once you enter through the door. Dave will use the money to buy pizza, soda, and snacks. Any leftover money will be used as prize money for this meet's competition.

Do you want to attend? Be sure to post your intention of attending in this thread, so Dave can send you a private message of directions to his house.

Competition

One mystery shmup on the PCB that we've never played in this meet before will be used for two-player competition. (Hint: the mystery shmup is neither developed by Cave nor Raizing.)

The prize is all the money remaining from using the entrance fees for refreshments.

Rules might be available soon.

Game Information

Two versions of Ibara will be available: the original PCB and the PS2 port. See a side-by-side comparison of these two versions!

At least two cabs (up to four) will be ready to play any of the following PCB games:
  • Battle Garegga (Japanese version)
  • Battle Bakraid (Unlimited version)
  • Armed Police Batrider (B version)
  • Great Mahou Daisakusen (a.k.a. Dimahoo)
Another mystery PS2 shmup that we've never played before in this meet will be on the Showtime cab.

The large VGA monitor in Dave's living room can be used for Radilgy (Dreamcast), Star Soldier (Gamecube), and dojin shmups (PC). Dave has his own custom stick setup, so you probably don't need to bring any other sticks (unless you don't like Astro/Sanwa!).

Contacting Us

Do you have any remarks about this shmupmeet? Just post a message in this thread!
Last edited by BER on Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:41 am, edited 7 times in total.
Bernard A. DORIA (retired)
shariar07

Post by shariar07 »

Should we wait until Ibara and Houmra are released for Ps2 when we have our next shmupmeet, just an opinion. what do you think Dave_K
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

I will have Homura in December, but since Ibara is slated for end of Feb, I'm guessing not unless you want to postpone until then. I'm available begining of Jan because my GF will be on a trip for a couple weeks, and I'll be available to host. I could probaby do the next one after that sometime in March after Ibara comes out.
pixelcorps

Post by pixelcorps »

I'm down..

:D
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Any objection to moving the next bay area meet out to end of February or beginning of March, after Ibara and Rajirugi come out?
pixelcorps

Post by pixelcorps »

whatever makes your life easier Mr. host!!
shariar07

Post by shariar07 »

Yeah its up to you boss, whatever you decide its okay
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

I foolishly started several arcade projects, one being repainting the Astro City 2 cab, and its going to take longer than expect to complete (damn Krylon Fusion paint takes 7 days to fully harden before next coat or finishing). The weather hasn't been the best either for painting. Oh well, lots to look forward to, as I've added a bunch of PCB's to my collection over xmas.
louisg

Shmupmeet

Post by louisg »

I'm down for it, but when is it? =)
Humans, think about what you have done
BER

Post by BER »

Dave_K. wrote:Any objection to moving the next bay area meet out to end of February or beginning of March, after Ibara and Rajirugi come out?
Although I'm not looking forward to either game, I don't mind moving the 'meet to a later time. (Sorry for the late reply.)
IlMrm

Post by IlMrm »

shariar07 wrote:Yeah its up to you boss, whatever you decide its okay
I'll second that. And I'll use this meet to try out all the new games to see which to buy.
louisg

So...

Post by louisg »

So, what's the plan? I had a great time at the last one and don't want to miss this one =)
Dave_K.

Re: So...

Post by Dave_K. »

louisg wrote:So, what's the plan? I had a great time at the last one and don't want to miss this one =)
I'm shooting for end of February now, after Ibara comes out for PS2. After that, end of March or beginning of April will be next, whenUnder Defeat comes out for DC.
Gozur

Post by Gozur »

I'm down for end of Feb. or any other time. I promiss not to go crazy on the smash tv cab this next time.
-Goz

NAOMI games: Border Down, Ikaruga, Trizeal, Chaos Field, Heavy Metal
Atomiswave: Dolphin Blue, Demolish Fist, Rumble Fish, Knights of Valour
Cabs: Crown powered by DC, Windy powered by Saturn & DC, Cyberlead
louisg

zing!

Post by louisg »

Is there going to be some Atomiswaving? Anything I can bring (I have some 16-bit and saturn stuff, nothing too rare)? I also just acquired an Amiga, so maybe I can bring the euroshmups when I figure out how to transfer software onto it (if anyone is interested).
jindo

Post by jindo »

Any updates on the meet in Feb?
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

I have my preorders in at NCSX for Radilgy and Ibara, but if Ibara releases on the 23rd, and the last Saturday of Feb is the 25th, I don't think I'm going to get it in time via UPS ground. So I may have to move the shmupmeet out to the following Saturday (March 4th).
BER

Post by BER »

Hello Dave_K.,

Are you indeed planning to host the next Bay Area shmupmeet on Saturday, March 4, 2006? I would like to update the first post in this thread with information about this meet.

Also, will you make any significant changes from the last meet (like the price of food and the selection of games on the arcade cabinets)? Here's the information from the last meet for reference:

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=74152#74152
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

I've been hesitant to give out details yet, as the Astro 2 is still completely disassembled (half painted), and the Exceleena needs to be retrofit with jamma harness and power supply. I wish I had more time to finish these projects, but I've got new responsibilities at work that are sucking up all my free time.

I'd still like to have the next meet on Saturday March 4th, but I may be a few machines short. I also wanted to do a Raizing theme this time around to break in Ibara correctly, but not sure what kind of competition to run. So practice up on your Battle Garegga, Battle Bakraid, Batrider, and Dimahoo.

More details to follow.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

I have all those boards if you need PCBs. I missed the last couple meets, so I've gotta make it this time. My Bakraid board is acting weird, so I'm pretty rusty on that one, but Garegga, Batrider and Dimahoo PCBs are good to go. Maybe some kind of Raizing themed scoring comp could go down?
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Rastan78 wrote:I have all those boards if you need PCBs. I missed the last couple meets, so I've gotta make it this time. My Bakraid board is acting weird, so I'm pretty rusty on that one, but Garegga, Batrider and Dimahoo PCBs are good to go. Maybe some kind of Raizing themed scoring comp could go down?
Thanks, I've got all the PCBs too. :D In fact, I just 1CC'd Bakraid for the first time ever tonight on the normal course! (4.1M but not worth posting on the high score thread).
shariar07

Post by shariar07 »

Hey dave i was thinking about having a 2-player team tournmanet on either Ketsui or Dondopachi DJ. The two players that reach the farthest together win, but if one player loses all three ships the team loses and is placed on(Rank) either progession of stage or score. I really think this type will also help players confidence and people would be more open to talk and communicate with each other, i think it would be really fun.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

shariar07 wrote:Hey dave i was thinking about having a 2-player team tournmanet on either Ketsui or Dondopachi DJ. The two players that reach the farthest together win, but if one player loses all three ships the team loses and is placed on(Rank) either progession of stage or score. I really think this type will also help players confidence and people would be more open to talk and communicate with each other, i think it would be really fun.
Not a bad idea, and could subsitute a Raizing game for Cave game in this instance. Only problem I see is that you'd have to use combined 1P+2P score as the measure since its to subjective to call "how far" if two teams die in the same approx place in the same level. Also, making teams so its fair for eveyone to participate may be an issue. Anyone else care to comment?
DirtyMonk

Post by DirtyMonk »

Playing 2 players co-op for Cave games aren't very fun, imo, unless both players have played together for years and know how to chain while the other player is on the screen. It would seem as fun as playing Ikaruga with 2 players. Although Mushi Original with two players would be fun, since you don't have all that chaining getting into the way. Basically, a game with only surviving as a primary objective with a very simple scoring mechanism would work best. Examples: Gradius Gaiden/G5, Mushi Original, Psikyo shooters, zero gunner 2, etc.

Playing those games would be very long though, but if we're all paired up, it could ease the time a bit.

I just had this silly idea... how about we play Batrider and have each player select their own char., so we would have 3 to a team. So each time a player dies, that player would rush out and the next player would jump in. It sounds frantic, but it seems a bit fun in a silly way.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Well since we are coming close to only 1 week away, here are the fuzzy details for the meet on Saturday the 4th: (Bernard, feel free to just cut and paste this to the top of the thread)

Start time of 10am, run till about 5pm. Nobody brings anything, just $5 at the door to pay for soda, pizza, snacks (which I will pre-buy, or have someone to fetch the pizza at noon). Any left over money goes to competition prize.

-Raizing Theme-

At least 2 cabs with PCBs (one being used for PS2 for the Ibara port), up to possibly 4 cabs if I can get the others ready in time.

PCBs: Battle Garegga (JPN Ver), Battle Bakraid (Unlimited Ver), Armored Police Batrider (B Ver), Great Mahou Daisakusen (Dimahoo)

One mystery shmup PCB (we've never played before) which will be used for 2 player competition (not Cave or Raizing). This will be a simple competition, Bernard can decide what rules will be at start.

One mystery PS2 shmup (we've never played before) on the Showtime cab.

Side-by-Side comparison of Ibara PS2 port with Ibara PCB (yes I should have this PCB by the 4th as well)!

May use the large VGA monitor in the living room for Dreamcast/Radilgy, Gamecube/Star Soldier, and PC Dojin's. I've got my own custom stick setup now, so don't need any other sticks, unless you don't like Astro/Sanwa. :D

I'll confirm with everyone via PMs a couple days before with directions.
BER

Post by BER »

Dave_K. wrote:Well since we are coming close to only 1 week away, here are the fuzzy details for the meet on Saturday the 4th: (Bernard, feel free to just cut and paste this to the top of the thread)
Okay, I've updated the first post with the information that you gave us. I revised your writing to fit my writing style, though, so please check whether the information that I wrote is correct.
Dave_K. wrote:One mystery shmup PCB (we've never played before) which will be used for 2 player competition (not Cave or Raizing). This will be a simple competition, Bernard can decide what rules will be at start.
I decide to let shirar07 develop the rules! He seems the most motivated to design this competition, so I'll let him do it.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Looks good Bernard, thanks! Regarding the competition, we can all decide whats best for rules, but trust me, it will be a good/fun one! And keeping it a mystery should level the playing field at first. :D
J5983

Post by J5983 »

Hmm...shmups or board games...

Will there be any Mushihimesama? I really want to try that.
Touhou and Rozen Maiden image board:
http://www.pooshlmer.com/wakaba/
Touhou wiki:
http://www.pooshlmer.com/touhouwiki/
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

J5983 wrote:Hmm...shmups or board games...

Will there be any Mushihimesama? I really want to try that.
Nope, sorry, Raizing games this time around.
IlMrm

Post by IlMrm »

I'll be driving down with pixelcorps and my co-worker, Jarod. My friend Danny's gonna get in touch with Louisg and they'll carpool together.

See you all on Saturday.