X360 Shmups & Region free games for NTSC-U Checklist

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
NeoStrayCat

Re: X360 Shmups & Region free games for NTSC-U Checklist

Post by NeoStrayCat »

SavagePencil wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:03 pm Is there any difference from the US-released Caladrius and the JP one? I see Cero D vs. T for Teen and not sure if that means there was content changed or what.

Follow-up: is OG Caladrius significantly different from Caladrius Blaze available on Switch?
Gameplay wise, both regions of the X360 versions of Caladrius are the same, there is a toggle in the options menu to either change it to 1.00 or 1.10 game balancing. However, artwork/sound wise, both versions are different. In the JP version, all characters' "Shame Breaks" (playable cast and the bosses) are fully uncut (to as close as the Cero: D rating allows), and there is voiced dialogue at certain parts of the game (usually before/after stages and during boss encounters). However, the overseas digital version changes the Shame Break artwork to the AC/Arcade versions to be less lewd (which means the removal of last life artwork for the player and the no-miss artworks during each stage clear has changed from the bosses defeated to the playable cast, its also reflected in the gallery as well.), and voices, including from the opening movie, the title screen, and during cut-scenes, have all been removed.

Caladrius Blaze, however, is 100% uncut. As for any significant differences between the OG and Blaze, not really, Blaze just adds more content than the original version.
Last edited by NeoStrayCat on Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Ugh I also got hit by the Virtual On Force IP block. I don’t wanna do the VPN crap. If I buy it on the web, then try to download it from the console, will it work?
bcass

Post by bcass »

No.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Klatrymadon wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:33 pm Yeah, the Japanese website doesn't show the 5000 yen as a payment option, just my bank cards, which it can't accept. I'll have a dig around on the console and see if I can find the games i'm after there, though I can't read the hiragana.

I have Ginga Force on the same account from a decade ago, but I can't remember how I did it then.
I can make a little guide to get to at least the shooters, but your phone camera with google translate can probably handle it. I go to the games section -> store -> games on demand -> genre list -> shooting and you get most all of what you're looking for.

Someone bought up all the 5000 yen cards though, heh.
MMP is one of the games listed as never having needed a VPN, so I'm not sure what's going on... :P
MMP worked fine, that's one of the few I could download without any trouble.
SavagePencil wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:52 am Ugh I also got hit by the Virtual On Force IP block. I don’t wanna do the VPN crap. If I buy it on the web, then try to download it from the console, will it work?
Like I said earlier, online doesn't seem to let you use gift card/wallet money, you have to put in a payment option. Then when you do, the address won't match (only lets you put in a Japanese address) or PayPal will say the region doesn't match your billing address on file. Feel free to try something else I hadn't thought of and let us know though, maybe there's a specific way to do it.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

That's very kind, but not to worry - I got there in the end using the same method! My memory had failed me and I was looking under Live Arcade instead of Games On Demand stuff. :P
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

If you have an available PC with WiFi + ethernet setting up the VPN through network sharing wasn't too bad. I am just using a free one I found listed on www.vpngate.net, connect your PC to the internet via Wi-Fi and 360 to the computer via ethernet, then share the VPN connection in Windows to the ethernet connection.

Currently downloading Mushihimesama Futari and DDP SDOJ since Futari is a really good M2 port and SDOJ might get held up on further ports thanks to a potential ExA-Arcadia exclusivity deal. If we get closer to the store shutdown and no further Cave ports have been announced, I'll probably grab Futari's black label DLC and Espgaluda II. Not sure anything else is worth the hassle of picking up when you can get it elsewhere (Guwange I need to grab on my US account).

The downloads are going to take all night though, hope they don't time out...
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
bcass

Post by bcass »

You needed a VPN for SDOJ? That's weird, I bought that game last year and did not use a VPN (I'm based in the UK).
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

I downloaded SDOJ without a VPN yesterday (it's one of the games I sold and was keen to replace with a digital copy). Futari could well require a VPN, though - I've only ever used my disc for that.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Oh yeah, I forgot it was one of the games I didn't check before. My bad, I doubt it requires one.

Futari DEFINITELY does though.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

why the XBOX360 got so many SHMUPS? :shock:
bcass

Post by bcass »

It's an anomaly isn't it. We really had it good back in the early 2000s.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

bcass wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:09 pm It's an anomaly isn't it. We really had it good back in the early 2000s.
I know that after the end of Dreamcast, a lot of games passed to the first XBOX, and 360 too.
But a lot of them are japanese game, released at the time as system exclusives...for a console that never selled well in japan.
Can't understand the choice... :roll:
Or simply XBOX users loves to shoot, from Halo to Gears till SHMUPS :lol:
bcass

Post by bcass »

IIRC the abundance of arcade ports was related to (possibly) M2 having developed a 2D framework for the 360 which simplified the porting process. There's a quote somewhere in some old Cave interview where they mention that a port could be up and running on the 360 in a matter of days.