Salamander & Salamander 2 (& Life Force)

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
Rastan78

Re: Salamander & Salamander 2 (& Life Force)

Post by Rastan78 »

I don't think the M2 stuff let's you start from a save state and then submit a score to arcade leaderboards. It's only the gadgets and the ability to pause that could be controversial for some. Although the delay in unpausing makes rapid buffering to play in slo mo impossible.

@Prickly Angler, agree with you 100% about the high score mode HUD in ACA. The gigantic font and offset game window is enough to turn me off of the mode as well.
Prickly Angler

Post by Prickly Angler »

I don't think the M2 stuff let's you start from a save state and then submit a score to arcade leaderboards
True but they let you submitt your score for the other difficulties, and you can still pause the game in the AC ranking (I have some Darius replays where I've paused and it doesn't show). Not something you can do with ACA hi-score mode or on a PCB.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Pausing and submitting a score doesn't bother me too much, but I get how it could bother some. I think it's just a quality of life thing to playing console. The reason you can't pause an arcade cab is more to do with the business model probably than maintaining scoring purity. You don't want a guy pausing to go the bathroom bc that's less money going into the machine.

Another reason I think M2 made the right choice allowing pausing is accessibility. Like I used to play only on PCB and I get wanting to only allow that perfect 1:1 experience for scores. Then you imagine a kid who's new to the genre and they're like WTF? my whole run got trashed bc I paused to sneeze? Not the best way to grow the genre.

Look at the FGC how inclusive they are allowing different input methods like hitbox etc. They would rather be inclusive and change with the times to grow the scene. It's not about replicating SF2 world warrior on an actual cab anymore.

Apologies for off topic rant in your score thread btw. :oops: :lol:
MJR

Post by MJR »

Rastan78 wrote:Pausing and submitting a score doesn't bother me too much, but I get how it could bother some. I think it's just a quality of life thing to playing console. The reason you can't pause an arcade cab is more to do with the business model probably than maintaining scoring purity. You don't want a guy pausing to go the bathroom bc that's less money going into the machine.

Another reason I think M2 made the right choice allowing pausing is accessibility. Like I used to play only on PCB and I get wanting to only allow that perfect 1:1 experience for scores. Then you imagine a kid who's new to the genre and they're like WTF? my whole run got trashed bc I paused to sneeze? Not the best way to grow the genre.

Look at the FGC how inclusive they are allowing different input methods like hitbox etc. They would rather be inclusive and change with the times to grow the scene. It's not about replicating SF2 world warrior on an actual cab anymore.

Apologies for off topic rant in your score thread btw. :oops: :lol:
It's okay, and I never minded someone pausing their highscore run at all. In fact, did you know that you can pause your R-type PCB with P2 button, if you have dip switch enabled for it? But I never asked anyone if they used pause mode or not. I dont feel pause is very helpful, actually opposite, since it takes you out of the "zone".

However, I need to have the last word solely for practical reasons: This thread will only send me an email reminder from the *first* post that was not made by me. If someone submits a new highscore after one of your posts, I wont get a reminder, which would result with the table not being updated. And we do not want that, do we? :wink:
ryu

Post by ryu »

Salamander
mar - 425,300 - Vic Viper - 1-4 - Switch

What the hell is up with that stage 4 boss? Time to hit the youtube videos.

I have the vague memory that this is where I gave up on this game when I played it on Saturn.

Salamander 2
mar - 398,300 - Vic Viper - 1-6 - Saturn

My score for the game from 2012, no idea why I never submitted it here.
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
MJR

Post by MJR »

ryu wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:13 am Salamander

I have the vague memory that this is where I gave up on this game when I played it on Saturn.

Salamander 2

Stage 4 boss.. looks like we have another victim of famous blue orbs, almost game-breaking calamity. There is a thread about it on the strategy section somewhere.

There are two ways to tackle it in the original AC version; you either play a second credit run without reseting the game, and they calm down, or you can look for a safe spot in the very bottom right corner (I am writing this fron the top of my head so please double check).

Many of the currebt youtube longplays are worthless since many of them use cheats. But you can find the screenshot from the thread in strategy section of the board.

I will update your score once I get back home, hopefully tomorrow.
ryu

Post by ryu »

Thanks. :) I got the safe spot working a couple of times, but have no idea if I could get it to be consistent. Still not feeling this one to be honest. I appreciate that japanese Life Force fixes the stage 4 boss, but they could have improved so much more.
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
GGA_HAN

Post by GGA_HAN »

MJR wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:50 am
ryu wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:13 am Salamander

Salamander 2

Stage 4 boss.. looks like we have another victim of famous blue orbs, almost game-breaking calamity. There is a thread about it on the strategy section somewhere.

There are two ways to tackle it in the original AC version; you either play a second credit run without reseting the game, and they calm down, or you can look for a safe spot in the very bottom right corner (I am writing this fron the top of my head so please double check).

Many of the currebt youtube longplays are worthless since many of them use cheats. But you can find the screenshot from the thread in strategy section of the board.

I will update your score once I get back home, hopefully tomorrow.
bottom right corner works pretty well for me, I made this video awhile back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckS1DSLGrxY
ryu

Post by ryu »

Moving in that deep into the wall didn't work for me at all. A few times I could almost get it to work by only going in 1 or 2 pixels, but would eventually be hit by a ball anyways. :? Had a better success rate with the left corner, but it wasn't that much better honestly.
MJR

Post by MJR »

ryu wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:23 am Moving in that deep into the wall didn't work for me at all. A few times I could almost get it to work by only going in 1 or 2 pixels, but would eventually be hit by a ball anyways. :? Had a better success rate with the left corner, but it wasn't that much better honestly.
Never really worked for me either, felt fiddly at best. I don't know if there is a difference when playing PCB, emulation or PS/Saturn console port.

I have updated the scores, please be aware though that I don't mark player ships on the highscores. They are not marked on the original game and even if players would want it here, it still remains the fact that most of the score entries here were not provided with that info either.