Gyruss

Post by Despatche »

Previous thread: 1
----------
Post scores in this format:

Code: Select all

VERSION
NAME - SCORE - STAGE - CONTROL - AUTOFIRE - DETAILS
DETAILS is for what model of console and release of cart/disc, or what emulator and version. CONTROL is for the FC version.

1.  SPM      -   264,350 -   24 - - - No  - MAME
Family Computer version

1.  MSZ      - 2,255,400 - 3-23 - A - ??? - ?
 2.  zaphod   -   893 580 - 2- 3 - A - ??? - Disk+FCDS
 3.  shiftace -   795 400 - 1-39 - ? - ??? - Emulator
 4.  RFP      -   721,100 - 1-38 - A - ??? - US cart+US NES
Last edited by Despatche on Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
zaphod

Re: Gyruss

Post by zaphod »

The FDS version is identical to the NES version except for better music. :)

I just tried that and got to

2-3

Nestopia

Control A

i forgot just how quick the enemy formations arrive in second loop.

Some stages are relatively easy to point scab on indefinitely, while some are very difficult. but I didn't do that this time. Note that waiting to collect the super shot after collecting the double shot is not point scabbing.

A few new tips.

1) Sometimes if you miss a ship or two you can get more super shots. sure you lose out on 4000+ points for missing a formation, but you gain 1600 from getting the three sattelites, plus a super shot. And depending on your super shot meter you may need it.
2) on the stages with the enemy launchers in the middle it's safe to get each formation, because the stage will not end until all launchers are dead.
3) learn the chance stages. they follow patterns. once you have learned the patterns and timing you should perfect all of them, thohuh some are a lot harder without the double shot.
4) better to get the perfect bonus (20,000) then miss a ship to get a yellow 1000 bonus orb. do not chase them too much. DO chase down blue orbs, though (they will take out the ship you missed), as well as double shot and super shots (unless you are already full)
5) Super shots are best used on the following stages. you should never need to use one in any other.
a) third or later turret bosses. highest priority is taking out the ones with large bubble projectiles. you can take out two turrets at once if you aim well. if only the turret type for first boss and second boss ar left, you shouldn't need to use any more shots.
b) Earth boss second form use two on it.
c) use all remaining supershots on final boss from with eye open. once per eye opening. if you run out you will get another one when you die. Don't be surprised if you die a few times to this boss after he turns purple. This is what you got all those extra lives for.
6) if you die more then once on pluto boss, just reset. play on if it's only one time.
7) use savestates to practice jupiter boss. it IS quite learnable, but seems really unfair if you haven't figured out how his motion and swinging arms work. this boss is the first real brick wall that you simply NEED skill and knowledge to beat.
8) some of the later levels will cheat you out of a super shot, by offering a 1-up or a blue orb instead. you cannot stop this.
9) enemies all aim right for you. this makes their shots easy to dodge.
10) meteors tend to aim where you were a half a second ago. you can exploit this to help you get your formations.
11) The all 4 formations bonus (11,000) is not insignificant, but better to live then to die.
12) don't rush the ships boss at earth. dodge carefully! you do not have a time limit, so play st safe as possible. Also try to damage the blue and purple ship equally.
SPM

Post by SPM »

Wow, no entries for the arcade version?

ARCADE
SPM - 264,350 - STAGE 24 - NO - MAME (video)

I will have to give the NES version a try. You all seem to prefer it (or it could just be more popular?).

Some info I noticed about scoring in the arcade version:
Spoiler
Speedkilling waves grants a bonus (up to 3k depending on how many you've completed on a stage), and killing enough enemies during the first 4 (fixed) waves will spawn a 5th (random) wave.

After that, 3 bonus enemies will appear that give a total of 4.5k (when powered up. Otherwise 3k), BUT they may not appear under certain circumstances (having killed too many enemies or fully destroyed the first 4 waves afaik). So scoring-wise it seems better to speedkill only 3 out of the first 4 waves (plus the 5th one), to spawn these 3 enemies. This is what I did on stage 2, for instance.

Upon reaching each planet there's a "chance" stage. Killing all 40 enemies gives a sweet 10k bonus! You can't die here, there's no need to worry about ramming into enemies since there's no contact damage on these stages.

Scoring relies heavily on memorization, but it's enjoyable. Also, the repetitive fixed waves give you a chance to get some bonus on the 2nd and 3rd stages between planets, even if you didn't know/remember them beforehand

Edit: After watching The History of Gyruss: https://youtu.be/hz1SwpUQNYE, I learnt that we can get some tick points from shooting the indestructible asteroids, 100 pts per shot. Another small detail to spice things up a bit more :D
Last edited by SPM on Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Updated. I think a lot of people forget arcade Gyruss even exists.

Sure are a lot of old games being excavated. Thanks for the info.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!