TV RGB mod thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
mikejmoffitt

Re: TV RGB mod thread

Post by mikejmoffitt »

Just did a KV-27V42 with a CXA2133 (I think). Looks great, worked first time, more or less the same process as the S42. I'll post pics and details later, and comb the thread for stuff to update the first post.
djcalle

Post by djcalle »

Syntax wrote: When I read your post I did a history search for the Jungle IC and it came up red, So I looked at the service manual and found a set I have that looked similar. When I look for CXA2130S in my history now its a new search so I'm pretty sure I got the Jungle ID correct. Any case CXA2130S looks to be the same pinout for what we need.
I opened it for just you this morning to check what I had done on the install and the Jungle IC ID. I thought maybe it had an odd blanking system but no. Its super straight forward.
The pins I had laying around from a Pi zero and it made the install much easier for me.
I prefer to use the stock traces and shielded cable where I can to avoid interference.

You don't need a switch for this set, just 75ohm terminations, 100n(104)caps and 5v to blanking.
Lifting the pins is fine really, and your install picture looks fine also. It leaves me confused as to why there is an issue.

For trouble shooting put a switch on the 5v blanking with no console connected. See if it changes the screen.
Thanks again, especially for opening it up.
RetroRGB is posting a video of Cruzlink's KV-20FS12 (CXA2131AS) mod, In this vid, I swear I can see the same vertical lines on the right side of the screen, along with some noise that I don't get.
Bob says this was due to a bad ground point and connecting the ground straight to the jungle IC's ground fixed the interference.
Bob also mentioned they managed to re center the picture with some 'adjustments'
I'll try hitting them up and also changing my ground point
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

MarkOZLAD wrote:
Syntax wrote: Ah sweet! We got lucky.
I can't remember if its LG or Panasonic that have the half tone blanking but it has happened to me before.
I think it's definitely better but still too dark.

Going to build a test rig that will allow me to play with termination resistance and other parameters.

Is it one of those jungles that go white screen black screen depending on terminations and shows cyan magenta and yellow screens instead of RGB?

Can you screen shot the best pic you get from the set? Does it seem blurry and the darks are too thick?
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

Syntax wrote:

Is it one of those jungles that go white screen black screen depending on terminations and shows cyan magenta and yellow screens instead of RGB?

Can you screen shot the best pic you get from the set? Does it seem blurry and the darks are too thick?
I have no idea about the white screen black screen.

Since I fixed the blanking this morning I get a crystal clear picture. I was able to adjust it to get a really quite good picture but it's still a bit dark and if I return to Composite it's just way too bright.

Another symptom is that the blue back screen shows black and the OSD is black. I think I should play a bit with the blanking voltage.

I'm a bit over it right now so I'll take a break for a bit. Get back to it with renewed vigour in the coming days.

Image 1

Image 2

"Imagine toggle switch OSD modding a TV in 2019" - maxtherabbit
nakedarthur

Post by nakedarthur »

Everything has been working great on my modded KV-27S42 since I switched over to S-video for the sync. It's so sharp I started noticing jailbars on my Genesis for the first time and had to do some modding to get rid of them. I have noticed a small thing on my SNES lately though. I'm not sure what the proper term is, but it looks like streaking. In the Zelda BS examples below, the HUD in the overworld is fine with full black background, but when it's on a lighter gray in the dungeons you can notice streaks on the right side of the white box. I can live it with since it's pretty minor, but was interested to know what could be causing that. Is it the SNES, scart cable, my RGB mod, etc? I haven't really noticed it on any other systems, but it seems to only happen in certain instances like this so it might not be too common to see.

Syntax

Post by Syntax »

nakedarthur wrote:Everything has been working great on my modded KV-27S42 since I switched over to S-video for the sync. It's so sharp I started noticing jailbars on my Genesis for the first time and had to do some modding to get rid of them. I have noticed a small thing on my SNES lately though. I'm not sure what the proper term is, but it looks like streaking. In the Zelda BS examples below, the HUD in the overworld is fine with full black background, but when it's on a lighter gray in the dungeons you can notice streaks on the right side of the white box. I can live it with since it's pretty minor, but was interested to know what could be causing that. Is it the SNES, scart cable, my RGB mod, etc? I haven't really noticed it on any other systems, but it seems to only happen in certain instances like this so it might not be too common to see.

It's cpun overshoot. Replacing the power regulator and lifting pin 155 and giving it a 20ohm resistor of the 1 chips snes
Should fix it.

If not there are other caps on the line

@MarkOz
The LA76810A seems to have independent contrast and brightness control. Right after it's clamp. And I have worked on one here before but I'm thinking it's this crappy Centrex.
Maybe there's a service menu setting.
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

Syntax wrote: @MarkOz
The LA76810A seems to have independent contrast and brightness control. Right after it's clamp. And I have worked on one here before but I'm thinking it's this crappy Centrex.
Maybe there's a service menu setting.
Lol, I was just reading the LA76810A data sheet and noticed that too.

Unfortunately the service menu only appears to have an OSD contrast setting. Good to at least get an idea of what is happening.
Last edited by MarkOZLAD on Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

nakedarthur

Post by nakedarthur »

Syntax wrote:It's cpun overshoot. Replacing the power regulator and lifting pin 155 and giving it a 20ohm resistor of the 1 chips snes
Should fix it.

If not there are other caps on the line
I probably should have specified, but it's a SNS-CPU-GPM-02 (not a 1chip) if that makes any difference.

Edit: Doesn't appear to be SNES specific after all, I noticed it today on my Saturn as well.
Last edited by nakedarthur on Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cyborc

Post by cyborc »

Went to clean up the wiring for my rgb moddded sharp 27sc260 so I could close up the back cover and now the tv is fubar :( Not really sure what happened. The OSD and menu still show up but it's super overscanned and none of the inputs work anymore. I even completely removed the RGB mod and it's still not working. I checked all the ICs for solder bridges and nothing stood out. I'm thinking about trying to replace the Jungle IC but I may just give up on this one.
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

Updated the first post with a diagram.
rx7turbo233

Post by rx7turbo233 »

waiting on parts to finish my rgb modded sharp tv , would like to know what i would have to do to take a tv with a built in vcr to remove it and replace it with a nes built into it with rgb osd hack
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

mikejmoffitt wrote:Updated the first post with a diagram.
Mike,

You've missed TylerL's Sony KV20TR23 mod which is on page 23.

mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

There are a bunch not listed. I've been pretty busy; when I have some downtime I will parse through the ones I've missed.
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

mikejmoffitt wrote:There are a bunch not listed. I've been pretty busy; when I have some downtime I will parse through the ones I've missed.
I know, just trying to help.

MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

Came across this link today.

The Jungle in the TV is LA76814K, I figure this should be very similar to the LA76810A in the NEC I am working on. Also a similar generic Chinese chassis.

Part way down he talks about the way he configured his RGB inputs' impedance. I'm going to attempt a similar thing/experiment and see how I go.

Syntax

Post by Syntax »

I already tried using a triple gang 600ohm pot on terminations (impedance) which results in black to white screen(with 0 rgb input)

For me the blacks were too thick and I lost all definition.
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

Syntax wrote:I already tried using a triple gang 600ohm pot on terminations (impedance) which results in black to white screen(with 0 rgb input)

I'm still keen to have a play. This is a hobby for me.

Syntax

Post by Syntax »

MarkOZLAD wrote:
Syntax wrote:I already tried using a triple gang 600ohm pot on terminations (impedance) which results in black to white screen(with 0 rgb input)

I'm still keen to have a play. This is a hobby for me.
Oh don't think I'm telling you not to bother.
I got fed up with it after 6 hours, if you get it going your a better man than me.

I am going to sit here and say you can't polish a turd to make myself feel better though. :p
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

Syntax wrote: Oh don't think I'm telling you not to bother.
I got fed up with it after 6 hours, if you get it going your a better man than me.

I am going to sit here and say you can't polish a turd to make myself feel better though. :p
It will be my first play with a breadboard too so it won't be a complete waste of time no matter the result.

Syntax

Post by Syntax »

MarkOZLAD wrote:
Syntax wrote: Oh don't think I'm telling you not to bother.

It will be my first play with a breadboard too so it won't be a complete waste of time no matter the result.

What made me give up is when I started getting cyan yellow or magenta screens. Sitting there scratching my head thinking "this is YUV country"
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

Syntax wrote:"this is YUV country"
I think I just found my new bumper sticker!

EDIT: ....or perhaps T-Shirt

robotvendingmachine

Post by robotvendingmachine »

I should be picking up a KV-24FV300 this weekend. If I wanted to do the RGB mod on it, what type of supplies would I need?
xprmntl

Post by xprmntl »

Hi, long time since my last post. Im trying to RGB Mod my Sony KV-21FS120. Cant seem to find the Jungle IC. Could it be the TDA6108JF on the neck board?

Neck Board:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-SasFu0RRJrc/U ... titled.bmp

TDA6108JF:
http://i.imgur.com/Od6jr0c.jpg
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

xprmntl wrote:Hi, long time since my last post. Im trying to RGB Mod my Sony KV-21FS120. Cant seem to find the Jungle IC. Could it be the TDA6108JF on the neck board?

Neck Board:

TDA6108JF:
Nope. Look harder. Will start with CXA
cyborc

Post by cyborc »

xprmntl wrote:Hi, long time since my last post. Im trying to RGB Mod my Sony KV-21FS120. Cant seem to find the Jungle IC. Could it be the TDA6108JF on the neck board?

Neck Board:

TDA6108JF:
Looks like this TV will not be able to be modded via injecting into the OSD since the micro and jungle appear to be on one chip. The Fs120 series have very good component output though, so with a good transcoder and a little service menu tweaking it should look nearly as good or identical to RGB.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Had a look and yeah it's not a cxa.
My bad.
Not all hope is lost though.
Some if these sets take RGB in the YUV line and its just a matter of finding the correct switching pin and adding sync after that.

Look for data on you jungle M65582AMF
xprmntl

Post by xprmntl »

cyborc wrote:

Neck Board:

TDA6108JF:
Looks like this TV will not be able to be modded via injecting into the OSD since the micro and jungle appear to be on one chip. The Fs120 series have very good component output though, so with a good transcoder and a little service menu tweaking it should look nearly as good or identical to RGB.

OK, Thats why I could not find the large Jungle IC anywhere. A description for the TDA6108JF says:
"The TDA6108JF includes three video output amplifiers in one plastic DIL-bent-SIL 9-pin medium power (DBS9MPF) package (SOT111-1), using high-voltage DMOS technology, and is intended to drive the three cathodes of a colour CRT directly. To obtain maximum performance, the amplifier should be used with black-current control."

Could I be able to solder RGB on those 3 pins of the TDA IC?
cyborc

Post by cyborc »

Syntax wrote:Had a look and yeah it's not a cxa.
My bad.
Some if these sets take RGB in the YUV line and its just a matter of finding the correct switching pin and adding sync after that.

Did not know that! I learn something new everyday. Maybe there's hope for the JVC set at my parents house after all...
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

cyborc wrote:
Syntax wrote:Had a look and yeah it's not a cxa.
My bad.

Did not know that! I learn something new everyday. Maybe there's hope for the JVC set at my parents house after all...
I've only seen it personally in the Sony Wega range.
Even made a scart to rca breakout to test them.
xprmntl

Post by xprmntl »

cyborc wrote:

Neck Board:

TDA6108JF:

I Still Think maybe I can solder the RGB cables where I highlited in the photo.

What do you guys think? direct connect or maybe some pots, capacitors or resistors?