Mushihimesama on Steam

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Muchi Muchi Spork

Re: Mushihimesama on Steam

Post by Muchi Muchi Spork »

The reason sticks are like that is you don't need finger coordination for the stick but you do for buttons. I could control a stick with either hand but the idea of doing buttons with my left hand is super awkward. You can get sticks like what you mentioned, they are designed for left handed players but by all means get what works best for you (or build it custom). I built myself a custom controller based on my hand.
CWM

Post by CWM »

I get that you do need finger coordination for buttons for some games, my point was that you don't really need it for shmups. It's surprising to me that MathU, and Prometheus as well apparently, prefer to use WASD here. WASD was originally conceived for FPS, where the dominant hand is placed on the mouse, which is the more precise and important input device. It just makes more sense to me to use the dominant hand for movement in shmups as well - I played Quake 3 for like half of my life, and I still find arrow keys more intuitive than WASD.

Then again, I play just fine on a standard stick, so maybe it doesn't matter that much.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

MathU wrote:I would just prefer to play on keyboard myself. Arrows keys + some other nonsense on the left are garbage for playing games, I'd like to remap them to WASD or something else for my left hand while freeing my dominant hand up for button mashing. I normally let doujin developers slide on this but I really expect better from a supposedly professional Steam release from a big developer like CAVE.

And yes, I'm well aware of the bandaid hack fix AutoHotkey. It tends to not work very well with my keyboard and these Japanese games for whatever reason.

Proper input setup needs to added in with a patch here.
been playing for over 5 years with my left hand on arrow keys and right on ZXC with hands crossed over
I only started out playing like that because touhou didn't let me remap keyboard and I was too lazy to remap externally so I eventually got used to it
amdiggywhut

Post by amdiggywhut »

Bananamatic wrote:been playing for over 5 years with my left hand on arrow keys and right on ZXC with hands crossed over
This right here basically deserves it's own MTV True Life episode.
qmish

Post by qmish »

I can't freaking play on "arrows + zxc" scheme.

Give me my wasd +jkl (or similar) or i'll retreat to gamepad or smth.

After 15+ years of PC gaming my fingers on hands work a bit different. Left hand for movement, so you softly press keys according to situation. Right hand for Aaaaaaction! where i fire my fingers over needed keys fast.

I also was a guitar player for some time which even more separated how my hands work despite my interest for 2-handed tapping.

And while i recently experimenting with playing XIIZEAL on keyboard where manual wiggling needs ur to fingerdrum the hell out, that's not enough to change my body.
with hands crossed over
ain't that unhealthy? at least uncomfortable unless u're used to it..yeah.
In games WITHOUT autofire sometimes i switch my "mashing fingers mode" of right hand where it's fingers who move to "it's more the forearm itself gives movement" which allows me getting faster if needed. Reminds me, as again, how you do tremolo with pick, whether movements from hand or whole arm.

edit:
And i also prefer keyboard or "arcade controller" over gamepad often because for me it's better when u have separate fingers for separate buttons AND that u hit them from above why ur hand is laying comfortable; while on gamepad it's ur 1 thumb for X/Y/A/B and bonus fingers for L/R shifts/triggers and you have crab's hands/claws.
CWM

Post by CWM »

Bananamatic wrote:
MathU wrote:I would just prefer to play on keyboard myself. Arrows keys + some other nonsense on the left are garbage for playing games, I'd like to remap them to WASD or something else for my left hand while freeing my dominant hand up for button mashing. I normally let doujin developers slide on this but I really expect better from a supposedly professional Steam release from a big developer like CAVE.

And yes, I'm well aware of the bandaid hack fix AutoHotkey. It tends to not work very well with my keyboard and these Japanese games for whatever reason.

Proper input setup needs to added in with a patch here.
been playing for over 5 years with my left hand on arrow keys and right on ZXC with hands crossed over
I only started out playing like that because touhou didn't let me remap keyboard and I was too lazy to remap externally so I eventually got used to it
Your kind is not welcome here, mutant.

And yeah, I suck at playing on a d-pad as well. Something about only using your thumb for movement makes it feel really imprecise to me.
donluca

Post by donluca »

Bananamatic wrote:been playing for over 5 years with my left hand on arrow keys and right on ZXC with hands crossed over
Seth Killian, is that you? :P
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

i used to play touhou games like that too, it used to give me weird cramps though.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Immryr wrote:i used to play touhou games like that too, it used to give me weird cramps though.
same here, the issue was using the right shift instead of the left one
once i converted to cave there were no more issues
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Apparently the patch that went live yesterday changes the rendering pipeline so that it now renders at 720p internally then performs a rescale to your display resolution. This is basically the way the 360 port behaved (with the 360 system itself performing the final scale) but it's not exactly an optimal pipeline for PC; in fact, it's the sort of thing DSFix and GeDoSaTo were designed to defeat.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Wait you don't have a choice ? the upscale to your display's resolution is forced ? :shock:
How can that be ?

If so that's a very bad idea Degica. :|
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Rymdröv

Post by Rymdröv »

deg is swedish for dough
defected78

Post by defected78 »

This has put the finishing touch to the package. No longer feels blury despite upscaling. Very happy with this.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Not seeing any improvements with the microstutter but having HD music and aspect ratio options for me to use my old monitor if desired are great additions. Quite pleased overall. :)
mastermx

Post by mastermx »

This patch has made this port really great. I feel like most of my issues have been fixed. Thanks cave and degica.
Hagane

Post by Hagane »

MathU wrote:
MJR wrote:The whole issue is basically this. Mushihimesama expects the keys to be arrow keys - or then it has to be joystick. X-arcade uses numpad for the default, unless you program it. Most of the games allow you to define the keys for movement just for this reason. But not in this one - numpad is out of the question, and virtual joysticks or joy2keys are ignored/blocked. I did try to run both programs on administrator mode. Didn't help at all. So there's clearly something to do for the next patch here.
Whoa whoa, so wait does this port not even allow you to remap your keyboard inputs? Am I reading this correctly?
Damn, why do all Japanese developers do this? Nearly every single Japanese arcade PC game forces you to play with the arrow keys for movement, really silly. Why should I have to rewire my brain that has been accustomed its whole life to move with the left hand? I see no reason to not allow you to reconfigure all your keyboard inputs.
CWM wrote: It's surprising to me that MathU, and Prometheus as well apparently, prefer to use WASD here.
It's not surprising, almost all control setups ever do movement with the left hand. I have to either resort to play crosshanded or find an input remap program, it's completely impossible for me to move with my right hand.
CWM

Post by CWM »

Hagane wrote:
CWM wrote: It's surprising to me that MathU, and Prometheus as well apparently, prefer to use WASD here.
It's not surprising, almost all control setups ever do movement with the left hand. I have to either resort to play crosshanded or find an input remap program, it's completely impossible for me to move with my right hand.
I guess I grew up with PCs and a lot of mouse-driven games like RTS, so it feels natural to me to use the right hand for "movement". And like I said before, even in a game like Quake where you technically use WASD for movement, you actually orient yourself in space using the mouse still. So the same way you can't move with your right hand, I couldn't play with the mouse in my left hand either.

Somewhat surprisingly, though, the ability to play shmups seems to transfer effortlessly between playing on a stick and on a keyboard using arrow keys for me. Doesn't feel very different at all.
Shogun

Post by Shogun »

I thought I had read about another port coming to steam being announced at this event: http://transition.tokyo/en
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Yeah, Cave says they'll announce their next Steam port there.
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

CWM wrote:
Hagane wrote:
I guess I grew up with PCs and a lot of mouse-driven games like RTS, so it feels natural to me to use the right hand for "movement". And like I said before, even in a game like Quake where you technically use WASD for movement, you actually orient yourself in space using the mouse still. So the same way you can't move with your right hand, I couldn't play with the mouse in my left hand either.

Somewhat surprisingly, though, the ability to play shmups seems to transfer effortlessly between playing on a stick and on a keyboard using arrow keys for me. Doesn't feel very different at all.
PC games used to be directional keys in the pre-WASD days though.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

You know, I've always felt the Mushi games (both of them) were a tad over-rated, but lately I really have to admire how great the pacing is in them. The stages have such a great sense of flow, that you can kinda feel yourself getting hyped even when you're just screwing around in practice mode (a very rare thing).

I'm not sure if I asked this before, but how does the scoring system in 1.5 work? IIRC something about point blanking enemies for extra gem drops, but it never seems to work when I try it. Something I'm missing?
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Illyrian

Post by Illyrian »

In 1.5 original, the enemies position on the screen is relevant as well. For example, the nano bushes in stage 2 will not drop constant gems if you point blank when they are too far down the screen so it is important to jump in them as early as possible.

All enemies have a certain number of invincible frames after entering the screen, variable based on the size of the enemy. This means that sitting at the top of the screen and grinding on enemies as soon as they come on screen will add to your score quite a lot over the course of a level. This is, of course, more dangerous in the later levels as enemies become more tenacious.
www.twitch.tv/illyriangaming
<RegalSin> we are supporting each other on our crotches
Shogun

Post by Shogun »

On my desktop with an AMD card I get screen tearing (Asus IPS monitor). Enabling Vsync via the Catalyst Control Panel does nothing. Enabling V-sync via the mushihimesama.ini induces unbearable amounts of input lag. If I play the game on my HTPC with an Nvidia card and Plasma display I don't get any screen tearing with default settings.

Is there anything else that can be done to try and reduce screen tearing other than throwing my AMD card out the window?
Shadolf

Post by Shadolf »

Is there any DRM free release in sight?
mastermx

Post by mastermx »

I've been playing original, and a bit of alternate here and there. Original feels like the best mode. I first started playing the game in 1.5 max and I loved it, but the slowdown is atrocious on this mode. The whole of stage 3 is in slowmo. It is worse than gradius 3 slowdown!
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Shogun wrote:Is there anything else that can be done to try and reduce screen tearing other than throwing my AMD card out the window?
Throw your AMD card out onto eBay. The compatibility issues with AMD and their shitty drivers have been a driving force of migraines for many.
Chaos Phoenixma

Post by Chaos Phoenixma »

I've pretty much been playing 1.5 Max Modes and Maniac/Arrange.

I haven't gotten too far in any of the max modes though. On Arrange, I've gotten to stage 5 boss a few times and to the TLB 2 or 3 times, one of those being to the final. I could definitely clear it if I actually went and trained stage 4 and 5 first which I'll probably go do after looking up a replay.

For Normal Maniac, I've gotten up to Stage 4 boss, but the patterns don't really feel much if any harder than Arrange, so it feels more like I just need to not die with bombs in stock. I haven't even made it that far in Original yet, it actually feels harder for me cause I'm not doing too well with the bullet speed, but that might change once I bother to actually play it more.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

BPzeBanshee wrote:
Shogun wrote:Is there anything else that can be done to try and reduce screen tearing other than throwing my AMD card out the window?
Throw your AMD card out onto eBay. The compatibility issues with AMD and their shitty drivers have been a driving force of migraines for many.
my AMD card is fine. No screen tearing, no lag on mushi. In fact I never had any issues with the mushi port, other than wanting to rebind pause buttons.

Of course i'm completely biased and will defend AMD in order to justify my purchase..
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Aliquantic

Post by Aliquantic »

Is anybody else running into issues with stage 1 sprites going missing? Maniac 1.5, most commonly the stage 1 boss is just a blank, occasionally large stage 1 enemies are invisible, and restarting can result in the loading screen persisting during the stage, with the last 60 frames of bullets being drawn on top of it (it's... a little hard to describe).

Windows 10, Retina screen (full screen mode), Nvidia GT 750M, which is probably one of the more exotic configs out here :P
Chaos Phoenixma

Post by Chaos Phoenixma »

Is S-Power the best for killing bosses in Arrange? I know the whole point blank the TLB during the start of the second phase to quickly deal with it doesn't work in Arrange and looks like it doesn't work in 1.5 either(though I haven't checked in the nonmax mode). If that trick worked on Arrange, I probably would have already cleared it, but as it is now, I just need to grind out stage 4 and 5 so that I can get to the TLB with a decent stock. But my win rate in training isn't as good as I wish it was, some of these attacks despite being streaming seem to just screw you over at times.

Between W and M power, which one ends up tending to be better?