Blue Revolver

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Aldnox

Re: Blue Revolver

Post by Aldnox »

dinosaurjerk wrote:don't patch out being able to credit feed to the tlb otherwise i'll never see it :oops:
You will see the Last Boss. If you want to see the TLB, master the game. It's not fair for dedicated and skilled players that credit feeders can get to the TLB.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

I can't imagine a good player giving a damn whether someone can credit feed to the TLB. If it's a glitch by all means fix it, but crying fairness is absurd.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Illyrian

Post by Illyrian »

Who cares about people credit feeding to the TLB? Does someone else doing that cause your copy of the game to explode and burn your house down?

Does it in any way effect YOUR gaming experience? NO.

People need to stop acting like the fun police.
Edit: I genuinely cannot express how stupid it is to say that people credit feeding to a TLB takes anything away from other players. I can literally probably YouTube it right now. It is just pixels in a video game.

If I 100% a track on expert in guitar hero and then someone sproinks through it in practice scoring 45% I don'the psychically feel a slap in the face like my achievement didn't mean anything!
www.twitch.tv/illyriangaming
<RegalSin> we are supporting each other on our crotches
MaXXX

Post by MaXXX »

So for the TLB do you just have to reach the end of the game on Hyper or Parallel?
Aldnox

Post by Aldnox »

I didn't even know it was a bug. And I'm not criticizing the game or anything, the game is amazing. I just said I didn't like that you can credit feed to the TLB. I didn't point a gun to the dev's head forcing him to change it.

Of course it doesn't affect your gaming experience. But people practice for lots of hours to even see the TLB. It's the True Last Boss after all, it's supposed to be a secret, an extra, but at the same time the True last challenge of the game. Beating the TLB is essentially "completing" the game. It just doesn't feel right to me that a credit feeder can complete the game with 0 effort, while other players have to struggle, plan new strategies, basically mastering the game, to even reach the TLB.

I just find it wrong. When I reached Hibachi in DOJ I was super excited. Because the mere fact that you're seeing Hibachi is acknowledging your skills and dedication to the game, so it's immensely more rewarding to see it, let alone defeat it.

It is correct that gameplay wise, to the good players it doesn't really matter, since they most likely play for score, and then credit feeding is not an option. But it still goes against what a TLB represents in my opinion.

So yeah, if this gets patched, awesome. If it doesn't, awesome. I'll keep playing the game and enjoying it, it's just something I didn't like in a sea of lots of things to like.
Illyrian

Post by Illyrian »

Credit feeding isn't completing the game though. It doesn' even keep your score between credits. It is just a bit of silly fun to get spanked by a TLB you are nowhere near good enough to fight. There is clearly a difference between doing it in 1 credit and not. As I said you can find a video of anything on the Internet in 10 seconds so it isn't like you can't see it if you want to.
Aldnox

Post by Aldnox »

Illyrian wrote:Credit feeding isn't completing the game though. It doesn' even keep your score between credits. It is just a bit of silly fun to get spanked by a TLB you are nowhere near good enough to fight. There is clearly a difference between doing it in 1 credit and not. As I said you can find a video of anything on the Internet in 10 seconds so it isn't like you can't see it if you want to.
It is completing the game. You even get the ending, the credits, even the "Thanks for playing!" message.
There is a huge difference, mainly score-wise. Still, it is the True Last Boss. I'm fine with you credit feeding to Kouryuu, but Hibachi is another thing. It is the secret challenge for the best.
With seeing the TLB I mean in-game, not in a video. Not everyone should be able to see the TLB in game, that is against its purpose.
Illyrian

Post by Illyrian »

We can just agree to disagree on this.

I personally don't care what someone does or does not see in a game.
Aldnox

Post by Aldnox »

MaXXX wrote:So for the TLB do you just have to reach the end of the game on Hyper or Parallel?
After you beat the Last Boss in Parallel you face the TLB, even if you credit feed. The dev says it's an oversight, but most people don't care.
Danbo

Post by Danbo »

i'd note that the tlb is maybe a little different from some games. while it's definitely hard, it's not an insanely massive jump in difficulty or a big big final challenge - it's more of a final bonus round a la imperishable night or something. even if you're completely facerolling through it you'll still get something like 15m points so you can count on at least one extend. i don't design patterns that i can't clear, and i'm not a spectacular player.
MaXXX

Post by MaXXX »

Danbo wrote: i don't design patterns that i can't clear
That's probably a good idea, considering what happened with the Dangun Feveron TLB
Aldnox

Post by Aldnox »

MaXXX wrote:
Danbo wrote: i don't design patterns that i can't clear
That's probably a good idea, considering what happened with the Dangun Feveron TLB
I agree. I particularly dislike TLBs with impossible patterns based on resource management, like DFK Zatsuza.
e_tank

Post by e_tank »

danbo, this game is simply fantastic, you guys have done a wonderful job. haven't had a whole lot of time to put into it yet but what i have i've loved. i'm glad you included a mission mode, not only are they a great way to introduce the mechanics of the game in bite sized chunks but imo it's one of the best ways to get and keep ppl who aren't hardcore stg fans playing.

one issue i want to mention, my stupid microsoft wireless usb mouse registers some vestigial interface as a joystick and the game is picking it up as a controller with up+left held. your game is the only software on machine (including a couple other love based games) that is affected like this. maybe expose an option to select which joystick to use instead of automatically accepting input from all of them? right now i'm just deleting the device node for it before i start up the game, which isn't a big deal to me but other ppl might run into probs like this.

also, when i have the time i'm going to try the game out on a raspberry pi 2 i have sitting around, though i'm not expecting it to be able to run it at full speed.
Danbo

Post by Danbo »

e_tank wrote:danbo, this game is simply fantastic, you guys have done a wonderful job. haven't had a whole lot of time to put into it yet but what i have i've loved. i'm glad you included a mission mode, not only are they a great way to introduce the mechanics of the game in bite sized chunks but imo it's one of the best ways to get and keep ppl who aren't hardcore stg fans playing.

one issue i want to mention, my stupid microsoft wireless usb mouse registers some vestigial interface as a joystick and the game is picking it up as a controller with up+left held. your game is the only software on machine (including a couple other love based games) that is affected like this. maybe expose an option to select which joystick to use instead of automatically accepting input from all of them? right now i'm just deleting the device node for it before i start up the game, which isn't a big deal to me but other ppl might run into probs like this.

also, when i have the time i'm going to try the game out on a raspberry pi 2 i have sitting around, though i'm not expecting it to be able to run it at full speed.
thanks for your kind words. missions were definitely our way to have something in the game for people who don't wanna do full runs. i think the wider gaming audience can tolerate really hard games if they're in small, discrete chunks. most of us obviously prefer the 25-minute experience of a 1-credit run obviously.

yikes! that's a pretty crazy problem, and its definitely not good enough that you have to do that. i'll see what i can do!

i spent the better part of a christmas weekend getting v0.65 working on a pi 2 way back when. the game did run but it had to use software mode for lots of things, meaning it ran at a blistering fast 10fps.
e_tank

Post by e_tank »

it's a microsoft wireless mobile mouse 4000 and it's registering an interface that's reporting as a joystick device with 37 axes and 75 buttons (gg microsoft). there's probably a setting i could disable using xinput that would stop it from sending these events but damned if i could find it yet. i'll try and look into it a little further tomorrow

re rpi2: maybe with the new open source vc4 driver it'll have better luck
Shadolf

Post by Shadolf »

I just played a few more runs and I really can´t say how happy I am about this game.
It flashes me from the first secound on. The music is incredible. Playability is brilliant.
I love it to switch continously form fast movement to slow and back and in between using the power shot.
I will spend many many hours on it, that´s for sure.
Thank you so much!!!
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

How does the version available directly on the site get patches? Will pick up the DRM free one next week but was curious on this given a patch was mentioned.
Danbo

Post by Danbo »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:How does the version available directly on the site get patches? Will pick up the DRM free one next week but was curious on this given a patch was mentioned.
if you buy direct on the site, you get it through Humble (of humble bundle fame), and you can log in there at any point to get the latest version of the game. you can do this with itch.io too, or you can use their launcher app and it'll keep everything updated for you.
CRI

Post by CRI »

thanks Danbo for this awesome game. :)
the game is really great and the scoring is so much fun.

here a little bug i found if you time out the 3rd boss in mid-boss rush mission.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDd8ieCqxg8
Aldnox

Post by Aldnox »

CRI wrote:thanks Danbo for this awesome game. :)
the game is really great and the scoring is so much fun.

here a little bug i found if you time out the 3rd boss in mid-boss rush mission.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDd8ieCqxg8
It also happens during the regular run. And apparently it also happens in other places.
CRI

Post by CRI »

sorry i should have been more specific here.
i did not mean the bullets that stay on screen.
it's the fact that the boss rush continue but no more bosses show up if you time out that boss.
thats what i wanted to show.
Danbo

Post by Danbo »

CRI wrote:sorry i should have been more specific here.
i did not mean the bullets that stay on screen.
it's the fact that the boss rush continue but no more bosses show up if you time out that boss.
thats what i wanted to show.
ah, thanks for the info! we'll get it fixed.
Jinki

Post by Jinki »

Illyrian wrote:Who cares about people credit feeding to the TLB? Does someone else doing that cause your copy of the game to explode and burn your house down?

Edit: I genuinely cannot express how stupid it is to say that people credit feeding to a TLB takes anything away from other players. I can literally probably YouTube it right now. It is just pixels in a video game.

If I 100% a track on expert in guitar hero and then someone sproinks through it in practice scoring 45% I don'the psychically feel a slap in the face like my achievement didn't mean anything!
How else is one to validate their existence on this Earth if by not having the power to say, "Dude, I fought the TLB, get on my level." Buying a house, a car, having a steady job, a nice lady friend [or two], a secure amount of cash - all meaningless to the all mighty street cred of being TLB worthy.
NickPalmerDegica

Post by NickPalmerDegica »

Jinki wrote:How else is one to validate their existence on this Earth if by not having the power to say, "Dude, I fought the TLB, get on my level." Buying a house, a car, having a steady job, a nice lady friend [or two], a secure amount of cash - all meaningless to the all mighty street cred of being TLB worthy.
I know that, despite having a lot of those things, I still cry myself to sleep at night because I haven't seen a TLB :P.
Jinki

Post by Jinki »

NickPalmerDegica wrote:
Jinki wrote:How else is one to validate their existence on this Earth if by not having the power to say, "Dude, I fought the TLB, get on my level." Buying a house, a car, having a steady job, a nice lady friend [or two], a secure amount of cash - all meaningless to the all mighty street cred of being TLB worthy.
I know that, despite having a lot of those things, I still cry myself to sleep at night because I haven't seen a TLB :P.
Are you not wearing head and wristbands? Those are pretty essential items for anyone's first TLB. Some other things it could be, you're using a Sanwa stick instead of a Seimitsu or your hexaoganal multiverse shifter gate isn't the right color. Past that I have no idea :?
clippa

Post by clippa »

Bah, I have none of those things. I did fight a true last boss once but this happened :(
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

z0mbie90 wrote:I noticed that when I move up, down, left or right in menus using my arcadestick it's jumping all over the menu. Almost like it uses a turbofunction.
Also in game its a bit weird but only when tap-dodging, it moved more then intended. I tried with the keyboard and thats easier and better.
Anyone else having this trouble. Im using a Real Arcade Pro VX SA 360 stick.
Have you tried using that joystick in any other games? Windows drivers for 360 joysticks is ... interesting to say the least. On my previous windows build it would just move on its own like that in every game I tried (both with a Hori EX-SE and a MadKat SFIV tournament edition). Tried several different drivers, no solutions ever found, so I eventually settled on just not using 360 joysticks with Windows anymore.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Aldnox

Post by Aldnox »

Jinki wrote:
Illyrian wrote:Who cares about people credit feeding to the TLB? Does someone else doing that cause your copy of the game to explode and burn your house down?

How else is one to validate their existence on this Earth if by not having the power to say, "Dude, I fought the TLB, get on my level." Buying a house, a car, having a steady job, a nice lady friend [or two], a secure amount of cash - all meaningless to the all mighty street cred of being TLB worthy.
lol, what is this? I say that I don't like the fact that you can credit feed to the TLB, and people start talking about cash and cars...
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

When the achievement patch drop, will that also include trading cards? I would love a profile background with woof's fantastic art.
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

Oniros wrote:When the achievement patch drop, will that also include trading cards? I would love a profile background with woof's fantastic art.
Cards are already in. :D