Cheap SNES RGB Mod complete Comparison photos

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
kynrek

Cheap SNES RGB Mod complete Comparison photos

Post by kynrek »

I wired directly to the SNES RGB an Sync out to the input on my gbs8200 then added a scanline generator.

Parts:
RGB/CGE/VGA/Component to VGA converter $15 from China direct (long shipping times) http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6811 ... 2974788700 or search GBS8200 (they are on amazon for $25ish)

Scanline Generator $20 T-SLG v1.6 - Main http://godlikecontrols.com/

Then just phono jacks, wires and solder.

Some people recommend 220uF Panasonic 6.3v caps to clean up the image, I didn't use them but I do notice faint dark wave going down the screen at times.

I built a box for the gbs8200 and installed phono jack ports:

added phono jacks in my SNES for RGB and Sync:

FBX

Re: Cheap SNES RGB Mod complete Comparison photos

Post by FBX »

I'd have just opted to get an RGB cable and mod the cable itself instead of the SNES, since the SNES outputs RGB + Sync right there in the multi-out port.
kowal

Post by kowal »

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii33 ... z6usn6.jpg
You forgot about hot glue
it would be more pro :idea:
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Nice!
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
airs

Post by airs »

Sorry, is this a joke?
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

No, no it's not.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
kynrek

Post by kynrek »

FBX wrote:I'd have just opted to get an RGB cable and mod the cable itself instead of the SNES, since the SNES outputs RGB + Sync right there in the multi-out port.
Which cable did you use? the cables I have seen are either SCART (which needs a sync stripper) or SVideo/Composite which don't have the pins to connect to RGB.
kynrek

Post by kynrek »

airs wrote:Sorry, is this a joke?
No, I was just sharing a cheap way to get RGB out of your SNES and playable on a modern TV for those that don't want to spend money on syncstrike and framemeister.
darcagn

Post by darcagn »

kynrek wrote:
FBX wrote:I'd have just opted to get an RGB cable and mod the cable itself instead of the SNES, since the SNES outputs RGB + Sync right there in the multi-out port.
Which cable did you use? the cables I have seen are either SCART (which needs a sync stripper) or SVideo/Composite which don't have the pins to connect to RGB.
SCART can be wired to deliver sync via composite video (which might need a stripper) or via composite sync.

retro_console_accessories sells them but seems to be out of stock as only composite video sync cables are shown.

RetroGamingCables.co.uk sells them as well, you select what type of sync you want wired when you put it in your cart.

No need to hack up your console like that...
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

kynrek wrote:
airs wrote:Sorry, is this a joke?
No, I was just sharing a cheap way to get RGB out of your SNES and playable on a modern TV for those that don't want to spend money on syncstrike and framemeister.
You are clearly demonstrating the concept of "you get what you pay for"! :mrgreen:

If you were concerned about cables, you could have just purchased a SNES connector and built an appropriate cable. Then again, you didn't butcher a 1CHIP system, so no harm, no foul!
BONKERS

Post by BONKERS »

Eh, as long as it works and gets the job done for you. No problem! 8)
FBX

Post by FBX »

kynrek wrote:
As others have said, you don't need a sync stripper if the SCART cable has CSync hooked up. Also as others have said, you can make your own RGB access in the multi-out, and you can even use existing composite cables to do this. I remember back in 1995 making my own RGB cable for the SNES to hook into my arcade monitor, and all I did was frankenstein parts from a few pairs of composite video cables. Those pins inside the cable's plastic shell are able to be removed and re-assigned to a different pin number slot, so I opened up the shell, changed the composite pin to the CSync slot, then I added in pins from the other cables to the R, G, and B slots. Worked perfectly on my arcade monitor.

Of course these days, I'd just snag a JP-21 CSync cable from retro_console_accessories if I wanted to frankenstein a cable, or I'd even go so far as to just have her make the cable I want for me.
kynrek

Post by kynrek »

Thanks everyone for your feedback. After looking at your collective advice I have decided to get SCART cables for my SNES, Sega Genesis, and Saturn on ebay from retro_console_accessories. I decided it was worth the investment so I don't have to hack up any more systems. The SNES I added jacks to was a project SNES anyway with a bad power port, so no real harm done anyway, it was my first time seeing RGB from a retro console so it sold me on the concept :). I do have a SNES mini that was modded by someone else for S-Video, I don't know if that means that it is RGB ready or not (any thoughts?).

I decided to pick up a SyncStrike as well because I could only find SNES and Saturn SCART cables with sync on composite from retro_console_accessories. (there was a sync on luma option for the SNES but I'm not sure how I would easily hook that up to my gbs-8200, and I didn't see that option for the saturn). The Genesis had a boosted CSync option but it seemed to make sense to keep things consistent with composite on sync. With the SyncStrike I can use the same type of cable for all three systems. It seems like Sync on Composite SCART cables are easier to find, and I hope to eventually get cables for my other systems (TG-16 CD, Jaguar etc.). I also like that it has audio output jacks from the SCART connector and I wanted to be able to use gbs-8200 and T-SLG v1.6 - Main scanline generator that I already have.