From Software 'n such

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
kid aphex

Re: From Software 'n such

Post by kid aphex »

I’ve watched the trailer like, 30 times.
Probly one of the coolest trailers I’ve ever seen.
Amazing direction.
What a vibe.
Last edited by kid aphex on Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

holy shit.

Dusty Armored Core Crusties!
booting up and crawling out of the hangar
Welcome to the thread :lol:

we've long awaited you.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

Blinge wrote:holy shit.
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

kid aphex wrote:I’ve watched the trailer like, 30 times.
Probly one of the coolest trailers I’ve ever seen.
Amazing direction.
What a vibe.
Yep. It’s going to be responsible for a chunk of my ISP cap this month.
BEAMLORD

Post by BEAMLORD »

Getting some strong John Carpenter synth vibes from that soundtrack.
Lander

Post by Lander »

THE POP-OFF! At long, long last... The Everything Is Souls era comes to a close :mrgreen:

Some interesting little tidbits in there beside the tittilating war machine voyeurism. The whole flames and ashes theme has a bit of a DS3 vibe about it, and that backpack bot strikes me as quite unusual for AC since civvies and non-combatants are usually just a statistic.

Could we be looking at the unlikely protagonist of the previously-rumored Mech Souls structure? :shock: It was another normal day on the postal run for Robo Reedus - little did he know that today's delivery... Would be for his life.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

So, no one is going to mention the "Reformed Orthodox Rabbi Bill Clinton" kid?

evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Also, I was happy to see ER win GoTY. I have my issues with it, but I'm glad it took out a Sony Movie Game. No offense to Kratos fans.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

evil_ash_xero wrote:Also, I was happy to see ER win GoTY. I have my issues with it, but I'm glad it took out a Sony Movie Game. No offense to Kratos fans.
Same.

And obviously I'm excited for AC6. Might be a hot take but AC is a series that had just been getting better and better so I am thinking they knock it out of the park here.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

evil_ash_xero wrote:Also, I was happy to see ER win GoTY. I have my issues with it, but I'm glad it took out a Sony Movie Game. No offense to Kratos fans.
I do want to offend them. I enjoyed god of war before Sony Walking Sims Incorporated decided to reinvent it.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Sima Tuna wrote:
I do want to offend them. I enjoyed god of war before Sony Walking Sims Incorporated decided to reinvent it.
I really enjoyed 1-3. I don't see why all Sony games seem to have to be "Uncharted: But Our Game".
ryu

Post by ryu »

jehu wrote:
kid aphex wrote:https://youtu.be/YRyRv0bwH2o

Finally.
Armored Core 6.
Phew, this might be the thing to push me into next-gen. Stunning trailer.
Exactly what I was thinking, and I never played any of the games in the franchise. Apparently they plan on mixing it with the Souls formula - possibly open world after Elden Rings success? We'll see how that it will go. I've taken note to check out one of their previous AC games before VI hits.

Glad for them to have won GOTY, although Elden Ring is one of their weaker games overally. The award is well deserved for the legacy they've built over the years.
evil_ash_xero wrote:So, no one is going to mention the "Reformed Orthodox Rabbi Bill Clinton" kid?
:lol: I'm mixed on this. On the one hand it was really disrespectful towards Miyazaki & co, on the other hand the Black Phantom memes gave me hearty laughs.
evil_ash_xero wrote:
Sima Tuna wrote:
I really enjoyed 1-3. I don't see why all Sony games seem to have to be "Uncharted: But Our Game".
The franchise never appealed to me even before. Always seemed like it was taking itself too serious with the action violence. What made DMC awesome is that it was self-aware about how ridiculous it was.
Last edited by ryu on Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Air Master Burst

Post by Air Master Burst »

Ok I'll buy it, now do Otogi next.
King's Field IV is the best Souls game.
KAI

Post by KAI »

OMG the new AC is reaaaaaaaaal!!

This game better have an entire soundtrack composed by Kota and FreQuency.
Hope it plays more like 4/FA than V, but a new entry using the movement mechanics from the original series would be nice.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

I'm in the middle of a grand playthrough of the whole series, having bought most of them a while ago, so it's exciting to have a new one to act as a capstone to that.

I'm wondering how much we can infer about the game's mechanics and structure from the short trailer. Is the person collecting scrap parts indicating anything about how ACs are built in this game? Are the sweeping shots of open wasteland a clue as to the scale of the thing? Etc...
BIL

Post by BIL »

Warm and fuzzies @ AC news. Only dabbled in the series over the years, but it's one of those cult favourites I was always reassured to see trucking along. With Miyazaki's ARPGs having secured the house, this feels like an ideal time for Fuckoff Massive n' Br00tal (yet Ultra-Stylish) mechas to return.

Dem EMP charges and miniguns and pilebunkers be givin me beastly wood :shock:

IN TWO SECONDS, THIS IS GOIN' UP YOUR ASS Image
Spoiler

(ala Ace Combat and Ridge Racer, it's also one of those series I got osmosised hard into the soundtracks of, despite not playing them all that much. Wild shit :cool: Image)

ER doing well in normieville is good to hear, as well. Get that money. Image
Air Master Burst wrote:Ok I'll buy it, now do Otogi next.
Word. Image Hell, just about any of that gen's dormant names would be welcome - Echo Night comes to mind, too.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Revitalize the mech combat genre? I'm all for it, but AC games reviewed poorly in general. Maybe they're going to hide the extreme mech customization and difficult controls behind a hardcore mode this time, lol.
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

Udderdude wrote:Revitalize the mech combat genre? I'm all for it, but AC games reviewed poorly in general. Maybe they're going to hide the extreme mech customization and difficult controls behind a hardcore mode this time, lol.
Reviews were mid. The landscape was different back then as well. I feel like now there’s a mainstream appreciation for intentionally difficult and punishing games that offer a variety of options to build your way out of encounters. Armored Core single player carries much of that strategy in its DNA.

I think a lot of its success, or even mainstream appeal will hinge on its presentation and marketing. The payer base is there. They just need to be convinced that Mecha and explosions are as cool as fantasy and spells.
Last edited by ExitPlanetDust on Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I'm surprised some people didn't know the AC thing was on it's way. Miyazaki said years ago that they were working on an AC game. Also, there were those leaked pics that came out a good while back.

I remember they were working on 4 games at once. AC, Sekiro, that VR game, and ER.
Air Master Burst

Post by Air Master Burst »

Honestly, they could just crib the control scheme from A.C.E. and I'd be happy.
King's Field IV is the best Souls game.
rapoon

Post by rapoon »

BIL wrote:
(ala Ace Combat and Ridge Racer, it's also one of those series I got osmosised hard into the soundtracks of, despite not playing them all that much. Wild shit
very cool track. reminds me of moby

AC :twisted:
Spoiler
edit: apparently I'm too dumb to link a .gif or it exceeds the boards limitations.
so here: https://imgur.com/a/eaRnxLk
BIL

Post by BIL »

Helll yeah. Image

Even the goddamn helis look BEEFEH Image Image
Spoiler

Another of my favourite shots: bigass crablegs homie HITTIN DE BOOST while hefting what can only be described as a movingly gigantic shotgun, noticing amidst all this uber-mecha goodness that a sneaky muhfucka is hiding in the shadows! Might be Pilebunker bro I giffed up top, actually.

ROLLIN STRAPPED / excuse me wtf r u doin???Image
Spoiler

Imgur can be a picky SOB, here's the best I understand it Image
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

saying AC reviewed poorly is a nothing burger
reviews, certainly old ones, have absolutely zero value.

you know me boys, I'd love for them to take a teeeny bit of souls source and add it to the mecha world. At least I hope they bring design lessons learned into the process.

It'd be a fiscally smart decision too, given From's fanbase now.

AC1 is still going alright for me, haven't failed more than 1 mission and still not blown up so the brave robot future isn't upon me quite yet. However, damned if i can afford any upgrades whatsoever.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

I did, and now you too must suffer

evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Blinge wrote:nothing burger
I'm hearing this word way too much lately. I feel like I should start a drinking game (it would do me some good, I'm sure).
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Blinge wrote:I did, and now you too must suffer

Cursed image.

I hope the new Armored Core is more like the classic ones than For Answer. For Answer was... Okay... But there was too much flying around for me. I prefer my mechs big stompy and big slidey rather than zipping through the air.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

evil_ash_xero wrote:
Blinge wrote:nothing burger
I'm hearing this word way too much lately. I feel like I should start a drinking game (it would do me some good, I'm sure).
yeah I was tipsy when I wrote it. I'm not proud

also nice cheap shot, asshole.
Lander

Post by Lander »

I'd be down to see some soulsy world structure to go with the newly-destructed planet.
Though if I see a single non-gear-driven stat point I will purchase a table from Ikea specifically for the purpose of flipping it.
Blinge wrote:Image
Uncanny how these mugshots are always timed at the precise instant of penetration. I'm beginning to think the whole thing might be staged...

(RARE making-of footage MUST SEE)
Spoiler
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

yuh he looks like he's taking a pilebunker up the poop chute
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

And enjoying it far more than is healthy.