From Software 'n such

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Bananamatic

Re: From Software 'n such

Post by Bananamatic »

got bloodborne, what am I in for aside from 30 fps and giant spiders that move faster than should be allowed
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Victorian gothic horror infused with lovecraftian monsters and aliens. Dark Souls without a shield or superfluous equipment clutter, but more repetitive locales.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Sumez wrote:Man I feel so left out of all the DLC talk. I hate the concept of DLC, and don't recall ever buying any for any game ever. When I finished each game in this series (incl. BB), I'd be 100% completely up for tackling all the DLC immediately, but when the DLC would eventually come out, the concept of taking the game back up just felt like a tough task.

Maybe I'll finally return to DS1 some day with the remake, and tackle the DLC along with it. I'm actually really curious about the DS2 DLC as well, but I really don't feel like ever returning to that game. So much of it just feels like a horrible trudge.
Long overdue response.
Just do it pussy!! :x

Yeah I rarely pick DLCs up for games tbh. Usually it's a load of half baked filler; Ass Creed 2 springs to mind, or when I desperately wanted more Valk Chronicles back in the day so splashed out on the DLC packs and found them to be alright, but not to the standard of the rest of the game - essentially arrange modes.
Either that or DLC tends to be stuff that was cut out of the main game.

Does this mean you didn't do expansion packs in days of yore?
Cause the Soulsborne DLCs are just that - expansions.
So far I think From totally bucks the trend; it's mostly new content, and the best in the series - according to some.
I haven't encountered better DLC by any dev.

BB I think is absolutely mandatory.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
guigui

Post by guigui »

Blinge wrote: BB I think is absolutely mandatory.
Speaking of BB DLC, I'm playing the "GOTY" edition and all DLCs are included. But then I cannot know which parts of the game are the main parts, and which are the DLC parts. Could you detail this for me please ?
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Ah. This can happen pretty early on;

If you get pulled into the Hunter's Nightmare - that's the sole DLC.
The gravestone to get there will be separate from the others, too.

(not to be confused with nightmare frontier)
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Blinge wrote: Long overdue response.
Just do it pussy!! :x
Hey I'm not saying I was opposed to DS or BB DLC, in fact I really want to play them.
Like I said though, to me, these just aren't the kind of game where you can just pick up your old save years, or even half a year. For DS1 though, it's been long enough that I'm ready to start all over.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Blinge wrote:Ah. This can happen pretty early on;

If you get pulled into the Hunter's Nightmare - that's the sole DLC.
The gravestone to get there will be separate from the others, too.

(not to be confused with nightmare frontier)
Oh yes I've been there, and back immediatly. This first hunter I fought in the weird Cathedral Ward was brutal. So it is nice if it is the only DLC, and I know where it is. Thank you.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
guigui

Post by guigui »

So the One Reborn got killed. The whole Unseen Village zone was marvelous, but the last bosses I encountered were fairly easy : Amygdala, Paarl, One Reborn. For those last two I just got close and spammed fire attack (Paarl) and physical attack (Reborn) ; got back whenever One prepared its AoE strike.
I guess I may be overleveled at 72 for those zones ?
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

who's your favourite bloodborne boss?
mine is the beast with long limbs that jumps all over the place
guigui

Post by guigui »

I also love the one that stomps with its feet when you're too close (for comf... huuum, well)
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

idk why but the bosses feel way more aggressive and harder than in dark souls or dks2
except they go down in less attempts
are blood vials broken?
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Blood vials go to your stash when you collect more than the most you can carry, and whenever you reach or spawn from a checkpoint, your inventory of vials is refilled from the stash. Maybe that's what seems broken?

I'd say the Bloodborne bosses are generally much easier (and generally more samey) than in Dark Souls, especially in the later parts of the game. I took down more bosses in the first attempt in this game than any other of the "series".
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

basically you can walk into a boss fight blind with no idea what you're doing and as long as you are willing to use 20 blood vials you have a good chance of winning
in dks2, using estus took some time and the heal wasn't instant, so if you got hit right after sipping you died
here they're instant and take practically no time to use

sometimes I die on purpose if I'm doing badly because I know I can just vial spam the boss to death but it barely feels like a win
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Yeah that sounds about right. I was always stingy with them though, since you don't get them back for free like estus, and I didn't want to go back and farm.

The estus flask system was pretty much perfect as it was, and one of the biggest improvements in Dark Souls, over Demon's. Of all the Dark Souls systems that was carried directly over in BB, it's a little baffling that they ignored that one.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

honestly feeling the souls burnout not even halfway (I think?) into bloodborne
it's cool but really just more of the same
except for the changing world thing and weird shit appearing in places as you progress
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Bananamatic wrote: it's cool but really just more of the same
Well, yes..
guigui wrote:So the One Reborn got killed. The whole Unseen Village zone was marvelous, but the last bosses I encountered were fairly easy : Amygdala, Paarl, One Reborn.
I guess I may be overleveled at 72 for those zones ?
Paarl you can meet as soon as Blood Starved Beast is dead, he's a nightmare then.
I guess you didn't do the early visit to Yaharghul.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Blinge wrote: Paarl you can meet as soon as Blood Starved Beast is dead, he's a nightmare then.
Hummm, I guess so, yes ? I entered the Unseen Village after defeating a certain boss, who spawned me right at that gate which was closed before, with the Amygdala.
By the way, in the Unseen Village I could not find the dinging lady who respwans the guys near the second bonfire. Any hint on where she is ?
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

So getting killed by one of those baggers will get you abducted to yaharghul earlier in the game. Pre-Ritual.
The one that spawns unexpectedly in the corner to the left of Oedon Chapel's front door got me. I think other baggers abduct you too? so well done for not dying to them, i thought they were pretty tough.

You can reach her. don't you wanna find out for yourself for maximum satisfaction? That one felt really good to me.
If no, sure i'll drop a hint, or whoever gets here first will, probably.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

I fought paarl after bsb and amelia, is that early or late?
I thought he was pretty damn hard except he died on the 5th attempt or so despite still playing like crap
guigui

Post by guigui »

Well, I never saw the "baggers" you mention, but I saw dead men with bags next to them in some prison in Yahargul.
Yes you're right, I'll keep on searching the dinging lady, if I ever get back to the village that is.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Bananamatic wrote:I fought paarl after bsb and amelia, is that early or late?
I thought he was pretty damn hard except he died on the 5th attempt or so despite still playing like crap
Early I guess, assuming you didn't do Hemwick bfore Amelia.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

I completely forgot about hemwick, that area was way too easy
unless there's more past the witch which I beat on the 1st try easily
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

I don't know why i find people calling soulsborne areas easy so distasteful, even if they're right.

Which first did you do first, Amelia or Hemwick?
There's definitely an easier order.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

I thought the amelia door was locked (maybe it was?) so I did hemwick first
it was an easy area though, pretty much nothing but weak enemies and the boss does barely anything, almost pinwheel tier

most of the difficulty I had so far was due to enemies not staggering...which you can fix by using a heavy weapon
even the sack dudes that kill you in 2 hits early on are easy once you just use the heavy attack with the saw spear over and over and the boars in the same area drop a ton of echoes despite being barely a threat
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

You already said all that about Hemwick. I didn't argue with you.

Amelia isn't locked. I think doing Hemwick first is an easier way to approach the game, as you can get upgrade mats to significantly increase your damage for Amelia.
Also doing Hemwick post amelia/night time spawns extra enemies.

I think what a lot of people forget is that the average shmupsfarm member is way better at games than regular joes. I know a lifelong gamer who cannot reach Cleric Beast and seems to have given up.
" I don't think it's fair that the enemies respawn." haha.

Also there's footage I've seen of someone taking many many attempts on the Witch of Hemwick. All I can conclude from that is; she has the ability to snipe you with paralysis while hiding invisible somewhere, it can catch you out and let a beatdown ensue.

What am I getting at? Dunno. Difficulty isn't the be all and end all.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Blinge wrote:I think what a lot of people forget is that the average shmupsfarm member is way better at games than regular joes. I know a lifelong gamer who cannot reach Cleric Beast and seems to have given up. " I don't think it's fair that the enemies respawn." haha.
no, they really aren't better
I know a guy who barely plays games and has no issues with souls at all and he's a gigantic 420 blaze it get piss drunk normie who thinks overwatch is a straight upgrade to team fortress 2
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

Bananamatic wrote:I fought paarl after bsb and amelia, is that early or late?
That's pretty early. You can get to Paarl right after gascoigne if the sack dude right after oedon chapel kills you, or you can not find that area till much later in the game after you kill a certain boss.

The witch of hemwick is definitely pinwheel tier.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

I wonder how do you even not die to the sack dude considering how similar they look to other enemies and before you realize it, he doesn't stagger and does 75% of your hp in one hit
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Blinge wrote: Paarl you can meet as soon as Blood Starved Beast is dead, he's a nightmare then.
Isn't it possible to get whisked away to Yaharghul from the moment you first reach Cathedral Ward?

I remember Paarl destroying my ass around that point. When I returned to him later he died in like ten seconds. Thank, "RPG elements".
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Bananamatic wrote: I know a guy who barely plays games and has no issues with souls at all and he's a gigantic 420 blaze it get piss drunk normie who thinks overwatch is a straight upgrade to team fortress 2
He'd probs be really good at games :wink:

Sumez the first bagger doesn't spawn in Cathedral ward until after BSB I believe.

My rose tinted view of the Witch when I met her was "oh cool, that's a different take on the Fool's Idol archetype"
But being anything but overly critical of games isn't cool these days.