From Software 'n such

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Stevens

Re: From Software 'n such

Post by Stevens »

Whoa. That trailer looks ridiculous.

Never played an AC game, but that is about to change.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Did people who are calling the God of War games "movie games" actually play any of them? There's a wide fucking margin between those (the new ones included) and something like Uncharted.

Excited about AC6 but I can't say the series manged to win me over previously. The PS1 games make the KF series come across like a QOL textbook by comparison.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Blinge wrote:
evil_ash_xero wrote:
Blinge wrote:nothing burger
I'm hearing this word way too much lately. I feel like I should start a drinking game (it would do me some good, I'm sure).
yeah I was tipsy when I wrote it. I'm not proud

also nice cheap shot, asshole.
Cheap shots are all I'm clever enough for.
KAI

Post by KAI »

Stevens wrote:Whoa. That trailer looks ridiculous.
You can always trust fromsoft for a god tier intro fmv. The ones they did for For Answer and V even won a prestigious award for 3D animation back when they came out.

AC4A OP
ACV OP
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

AC4A's ova is better than the game ololol
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Blinge wrote: AC1 is still going alright for me, haven't failed more than 1 mission and still not blown up so the brave robot future isn't upon me quite yet. However, damned if i can afford any upgrades whatsoever.
Are you reloading your save if you take too much damage or use too much ammo, etc? If you're incurring debts, you definitely don't want to 'bank' them by carrying on playing*. I'm not great at the games yet myself, but a good choice at the start of AC1 is to buy the best generator as early as you can. It'll give you the manoeuvrability you need to clear a bunch of missions without upgrading too many other parts. :)

You can also just sell some of your starting gear if you need to. I think I sold my legs and bought some cheaper reverse-jointed ones to use for a while.

*Unless you're going for Human Plus!
Lander

Post by Lander »

The 4A intro is gorgeous. It has that proper Real Robots weight and momentum all over it.
Dragging an arm through a chopper and row of buildings to arrest a high-velocity unplanned exit is such a god damn baller mech move.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Klatrymadon wrote:
Are you reloading your save if you take too much damage or use too much ammo, etc? If you're incurring debts, you definitely don't want to 'bank' them by carrying on playing*. I'm not great at the games yet myself, but a good choice at the start of AC1 is to buy the best generator as early as you can. It'll give you the manoeuvrability you need to clear a bunch of missions without upgrading too many other parts. :)
One of the best big dick moves for making money in AC3 is to give your robot a sword and energy weapon. It's kind of subpar in terms of damage and meta, but you save a ton of money on ammo. Spend the money you save on parts like generators. The generator is definitely the most important piece, and you don't want to upgrade your thrusters to something less efficient until you have way more energy than you need.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Klatrymadon wrote:

You can also just sell some of your starting gear if you need to. I think I sold my legs and bought some cheaper reverse-jointed ones to use for a while.

*Unless you're going for Human Plus!
Erm.. I don't know what would be "too much damage/ ammo"
Every mission takes at least half my health as I havent found a way to both avoid and deal damage. It seems like almost everything is a trade. Like.. if enemies have small arms fire that just goes quickly? i'm eating a lot of that.
I really have barely played the game, like 8 missions.. all at a meagre profit.
I'll save up for that genny I guess.. and it might take a while REE

missiles so far seem hella unreliable, but maybe that's just because the missiles you start with are ass? Wait ages to lock on.. fire.. it'll miss if i'm moving even slightly, or they're not miles away. Then I worry about costs incurred.

The thing that puts me off going human plus is how long it'd take to boot the game and fail missions. like.. it takes you quite a while to die if you're TRYING TO :x :x
oh maybe i could spunk all the ammo too. damn why didn't I think of that.
anyway i'll try to preserve my flesh for the time being.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

"Too much" is just however much starts giving you minus numbers at the end of a mission, I guess. I'm not very sparing with ammo at all yet, so I sometimes switch to a right-hand energy weapon to save on costs (they use up your energy meter but don't have a price per shot).
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Can you beat Armored Core using Only Melee?

:thonk:
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Probably! You'd have to be extremely good at closing the gap and avoiding enemy attacks, though. A lot of later arena ACs (at least in AC3, which I'm playing at the moment) like to strafe/fly around you whilst overheating you with machinegun fire. If those guys appear in any missions they could be really tricky to take out with a melee-only scrapper. I assume you'd need a lot of boost power to get around as nimbly as possible, but maybe a tanky build with loads of AP is the way forward...
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

Christ! I’m dying.
Last edited by ExitPlanetDust on Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Git dunked on. :shock:
BIL

Post by BIL »

:lol:
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

haha I just noticed solaire's emotion is expressed by the usually smiling sun crest..

Playing one of the aids cum chalices in BB.
the Irithyll one.. i'm seeing some enemies I don't remember at all, and enemy combinations, setups etc.
It's probably the first time i've done a root/randomised chalice this hard.
This is a genuine fucking blast!
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Klatrymadon wrote:Probably! You'd have to be extremely good at closing the gap and avoiding enemy attacks, though. A lot of later arena ACs (at least in AC3, which I'm playing at the moment) like to strafe/fly around you whilst overheating you with machinegun fire. If those guys appear in any missions they could be really tricky to take out with a melee-only scrapper. I assume you'd need a lot of boost power to get around as nimbly as possible, but maybe a tanky build with loads of AP is the way forward...
Killing enemy ACs in AC3 with melee is mostly a game of predicting where they're going to end up and slashing there. You can definitely do melee-only runs. I've seen a bunch posted to the youtubes. Never did one myself because I like shooting.

Also yeah, you can just push an AC into a corner and then spam the melee weapon once they've gotten stuck. Either strat works. Either fast and agile + predicting their movements, or pick a giant-ass mech with tons of armor and massive bulk to block the enemy from moving.
Lander

Post by Lander »

'Nine Breaker' is the title given to he who dunks the Nine Ball :lol:
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

https://www.ign.com/articles/armored-core-6-interview

Here’s an interview with Miyazaki
Seems to squash the notion this will be a souls-like game
Sounds like trad Armored Core with a big budget, which is definitely cool
However, I’ll admit I’m still hoping for a bit of a shake-up to the old formula
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

kid aphex wrote: However, I’ll admit I’m still hoping for a bit of a shake-up to the old formula
Right here mate!

Code: Select all

“Boss battles are the highlight of the game in this title,” Yamamura said in a separate statement. “The essence of the battles, in which the player reads the enemy's moves and then plays games with them, is of course provided, as is typical of FromSoftware. In this title, both the enemy and your own machine are aggressive and violent in their attacks. We are developing the game so that players can enjoy the dynamic and intense boss battles that only mechas can offer, along with the unique aspects of AC, such as how to assemble the right parts to take on the strongest enemies.”
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Blinge wrote:
kid aphex wrote: However, I’ll admit I’m still hoping for a bit of a shake-up to the old formula
Right here mate!

Code: Select all

“Boss battles are the highlight of the game in this title,” Yamamura said in a separate statement. “The essence of the battles, in which the player reads the enemy's moves and then plays games with them, is of course provided, as is typical of FromSoftware. In this title, both the enemy and your own machine are aggressive and violent in their attacks. We are developing the game so that players can enjoy the dynamic and intense boss battles that only mechas can offer, along with the unique aspects of AC, such as how to assemble the right parts to take on the strongest enemies.”
I’m hoping that they elevate the level of ‘character’ in enemies to match the ones in their fantasy titles and give encounters more context and emotion.
I’m not asking for talking mechs— just wild animation and some great camera work.
From the looks of the Trailer, it looks like they might be doing just that.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

The Arena in AC games has always had boss-level AC encounters with clever AI. Each enemy usually had its own gameplan tailored to the type of mech it was using and the weapons it employed. Some would spam their thrusters and hover around while blasting missiles. Others would speedily close on the ground and try to box you into a corner so they could melee you. Some would strafe with machine guns.

I'll certainly be happy if some of From's massive pile of Souls money is put into making that AI even more dynamic and interesting.
Lander

Post by Lander »

Good to get some new tidbits, but man that interview was painful to read.

IGN: So Mr. Miyazaki, will your new game be like Dark Souls?
Miyazaki: No, it's going to be a mission-based Armored Core title.

IGN: I see, I see. (No idea what that is lol) how about Sekiro?
Miyazaki: No, we're iterating on the existing Armored Core formula.

IGN: Intriguing. Elden Ring?
Miyazaki: No. Armored Core.

IGN: ...How about Demon's Souls?
Miyazaki: No.

IGN: If I ask persistently enough, will it influence you into building a Mech Souls game that will fit comfortably into my limited cognitive framework?
(White Phantom Miyzaki-san returned to their world)

I'm cool with it being mission-based.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

haha ikr, that was fucking painful
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Imagine if From tried to make Kuon 2.

"So guys, I hear you're making a follow-up to the classic survival horror game Kuon. How will you be incorporating Elden Ring's combat, mechanics and world into this game?"
Air Master Burst

Post by Air Master Burst »

Sima Tuna wrote:"So guys, I hear you're making a follow-up to the classic survival horror game Kuon. How will you be incorporating Elden Ring's combat, mechanics and world into this game?"
If they want Mech Dark Souls, The Surge is right over there. The second one is even pretty good.

I would very much like an open world Metal Wolf Chaos sequel, though.
King's Field IV is the best Souls game.
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

They could always dig up Frame Gride if they want to play a gothic magical mecha souls.
Lander

Post by Lander »

Decided to use my shiny new 4K monitor as an excuse to start that DS1 pyro run. Gods, it's been so long and so many sequels that I'd forgotten how much I love Lordran and its meticulous progress-is-power design.

Playing hike style this time: delay Sen's for as long as possible and try to memorize the routes less traveled, then Lordvessel for cleanup duty. It's been a trek, but I enjoy the route-planning aspect of the early game.
Just Tomb of the Giants and New Londo to go now before the funhouse - it speaks to the game's sense of scale that dragging myself back up to the surface from Ash Lake felt like an epic journey, but realistically only took five or ten minutes.

Build-wise I'm shooting for DEX since it helps cast speed at 35-45, but have mostly ended up whacking things with a Morning Star when I'm not burning everyone to the ground for free.
I have an upgraded Mail Breaker, but it just doesn't have the damage to back up its massively superior moveset for areas that have necessitated melee; probably going to shoot for swanky daggers once I have access to Anor Londo and the DLC.
I lucked out and dropped Mask of the Child from Pinwheel too, so I get to gurn at everyone instead of rocking a mandatory Grass Crest Shield or Chloranthy Ring :)
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

Lander wrote:IGN: So Mr. Miyazaki, will your new game be like Dark Souls?
Miyazaki: No, it's going to be a mission-based Armored Core title.

IGN: I see, I see. (No idea what that is lol) how about Sekiro?
Miyazaki: No, we're iterating on the existing Armored Core formula.

IGN: Intriguing. Elden Ring?
Miyazaki: No. Armored Core.

IGN: ...How about Demon's Souls?
Miyazaki: No.

IGN: If I ask persistently enough, will it influence you into building a Mech Souls game that will fit comfortably into my limited cognitive framework?
(White Phantom Miyzaki-san returned to their world)
Would be hysterical if it comes out and plays exactly like Souls tho. :lol: