From Software 'n such

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BareKnuckleRoo

Re: From Software 'n such

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

bcass wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:13 amCongrats. No-hit next?
lol, never

I would like to try an SL1 run though! It'll be a fun change of pace as I'll really have to rely on dodges instead of shield use.

Actually, what's the trick to parrying you-know-who? Is there a specific attack you have to wait for? I've never figured out parrying, I've always killed that boss with dodging or hiding behind a shield and waiting for an easy attack to punish like the kick or the grab. I suspect it'll be very useful for SL1...
Lemnear wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:16 amPPS: you can avoid that death with Seath.
lol, no, I definitely can't, that elevator skip oversight is really hard to do, I haven't managed when I tried it. I'd heard about it but firmly decided against it. It's also very risky as it's past the halfway mark of the game, and you die if you screw it up, and then you can't open up the prison, get the soul of the fire keeper, etc. Dealing with Bed of Chaos being a risky fight in this kind of run is bad enough as it is. >w>;; Someone more hardcore can do a deathless run without the plot death. xD I also wimped out and avoided the DLC stuff for this run. STRAIGHT TO THE ENDING FOR ME!
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:44 pm
bcass wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:13 amCongrats. No-hit next?
lol, never

I would like to try an SL1 run though! It'll be a fun change of pace as I'll really have to rely on dodges instead of shield use.

Actually, what's the trick to parrying you-know-who? Is there a specific attack you have to wait for? I've never figured out parrying, I've always killed that boss with dodging or hiding behind a shield and waiting for an easy attack to punish like the kick or the grab. I suspect it'll be very useful for SL1...
Lemnear wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:16 amPPS: you can avoid that death with Seath.
lol, no, I definitely can't, that elevator skip oversight is really hard to do, I haven't managed when I tried it. I'd heard about it but firmly decided against it. It's also very risky as it's past the halfway mark of the game, and you die if you screw it up, and then you can't open up the prison, get the soul of the fire keeper, etc. Dealing with Bed of Chaos being a risky fight in this kind of run is bad enough as it is. >w>;; Someone more hardcore can do a deathless run without the plot death. xD I also wimped out and avoided the DLC stuff for this run. STRAIGHT TO THE ENDING FOR ME!
At least with DS1 remaster you can skip it, a semi-glitch (more or less).
I've never tried SL1 run, i've done "slow-speed run" (just like a speedrun without glitch, but at my pace, but with a speedrun route/build/lv). I hate timers :mrgreen:
ryu

Post by ryu »

Lemnear wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:09 pmAt least with DS1 remaster you can skip it, a semi-glitch (more or less).
What's that about?
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
guigui

Post by guigui »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:44 pm
From what I remember, the second attack on his three attacks combo is the one to be parried, timing is quite doable since you just wait for the first attack to connect with shield, then parry the next one.

Take it with caution though, I may be completely wrong and make confusions.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Austin

Post by Austin »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:44 pmI would like to try an SL1 run though! It'll be a fun change of pace as I'll really have to rely on dodges instead of shield use.
SL1 in DS1 is a ton of fun. It forces you to experiment and exploit specific weaknesses, like always using gold pine resin on bosses that are weak to it (Taurus demon, for instance). Also, be sure to constantly stock up on things like firebombs, haha.
BareKnuckleRoo wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:44 pmActually, what's the trick to parrying you-know-who? Is there a specific attack you have to wait for? I've never figured out parrying, I've always killed that boss with dodging or hiding behind a shield and waiting for an easy attack to punish like the kick or the grab. I suspect it'll be very useful for SL1...
I assume you mean parrying the final boss? I just parry his first attack over and over again. He'll go into a loop attempting the same combo sequence so it's pretty predictable.

As far as the parry maneuver itself, when an enemy attacks, just press L2 at the right time when you have a shield in your hand. If you get it, you can then repost which is stupidly powerful. Note that not all attacks can be parried, but many can. Practice it on the lower tier grunts. Once you start to get it down, you don't have to hide behind a shield as much and you can play a little more aggressively. It's generally a safer strategy against the black knights as well and that's how I consistently get through the Anor Londo archer knights (I run all the way to the one on the right, it switches to a sword and attempts to attack, I parry, repost and he goes flying off the ledge).

Parrying is just timing and like Demon's Souls there's a pretty large window of opportunity where it will register. Once you get the hang of it you'll be like, "Why haven't I been parrying since the beginning?"
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Thanks, yeah I meant specifically the timing against him, if there's any sword attacks flagged as non parryable, etc. The one time I went in and tried to use parries after I learned about it I literally could not figure out the timing. It was way easier figuring out dodge timing, blocking, and slowly whittling him down. There's lots of other enemies I have parry timing nailed down for like the Greatsword Black Knights at least. The one thing I haven't tried is a Target Shield or Parrying Dagger for the extended parrying frames, so that's likely the way.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

ryu wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:24 pm
Lemnear wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:09 pmAt least with DS1 remaster you can skip it, a semi-glitch (more or less).
What's that about?
You can pseudo-glitch jumping through an elevator...maybe even with a Homeward Bone immediately after entering the room with Seath.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

What's that about?
Lemnear wrote:You can pseudo-glitch jumping through an elevator...maybe even with a Homeward Bone immediately after entering the room with Seath.
You can skip the first encounter with Seath by riding the elevator up to the passage where the first encounter is, dropping the elevator back down, then quickly doing an extremely difficult jump to the corner of the elevator so that you can roll off it onto one of the levels of the library that leads to the rest of the level (and then surviving without dying so you can open up the shortcuts needed to explore the level). There's no "glitching jumping through an elevator" or using a homeward bone involved (doing so during the first Seath encounter just warps you out of the room and resets the fight, Seath will patiently wait for you to return and get yourself captured). It's not clear if it's just an exploitable oversight due to the angles of the elevator you can roll onto, or if it's an intentional trick (it's likely unintentional as there's no way to enter the prison and do the rest of Big Hat Logan's questline if you use this).

This video makes it look easy, but it's an extremely difficult skip in terms of timing and execution, and failure means falling to your death due to fall height: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36fhLEcELVY
ryu

Post by ryu »

Thanks. Lemnear had it sound like they made it intentionally easier to execute in the remaster, so that got me curious.
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Not to my knowledge it isn't. I mean, maybe if the framerate is unstable or something that makes it harder, I haven't gotten the chance to try the 360 version, only the Switch remaster. But nothing I've read about that Seath skip mentions anything about the trick being harder or different to execute on the remastered version.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

https://twitter.com/ELDENRING/status/17 ... 0764449173

SHADOW OF THE ERD TREE WE ARE HEEERE
ryu

Post by ryu »

I'm soooo tired of open world time wasters. Would rather replay DeS or DS1.
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

Interested in the DLC, but I think I had enough of Elden Ring at 164 hrs. I even skipped Melina. I just grew weary of it and preferred Sekiro.
I'm kinda over the whole high fantasy From Software thing. I've just quit NG+ on Demon's Souls on PS5 at Maneater.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

SL1 wear havels and just mash parry. you'll probably get it.

Or, drink a single estus after riposting him. he almost always goes for the slowest swing if you drink while he's downed.
the easiest one to parry.

don't do what I did and try to beat him SL1 wearing goldhem robe WITHOUT PARRIES.
took me a long time
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Blinge wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:33 pm SL1 wear havels and just mash parry. you'll probably get it.

Or, drink a single estus after riposting him. he almost always goes for the slowest swing if you drink while he's downed.
the easiest one to parry.

don't do what I did and try to beat him SL1 wearing goldhem robe WITHOUT PARRIES.
took me a long time
A man after my own heart. I've never enjoyed parry playstyle. I'd rather roll around in the dirt like a big ol' scrub or tape my finger to the L1 trigger for the entire game.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:06 pm
What's that about?
Lemnear wrote:You can pseudo-glitch jumping through an elevator...maybe even with a Homeward Bone immediately after entering the room with Seath.
You can skip the first encounter with Seath by riding the elevator up to the passage where the first encounter is, dropping the elevator back down, then quickly doing an extremely difficult jump to the corner of the elevator so that you can roll off it onto one of the levels of the library that leads to the rest of the level (and then surviving without dying so you can open up the shortcuts needed to explore the level). There's no "glitching jumping through an elevator" or using a homeward bone involved (doing so during the first Seath encounter just warps you out of the room and resets the fight, Seath will patiently wait for you to return and get yourself captured). It's not clear if it's just an exploitable oversight due to the angles of the elevator you can roll onto, or if it's an intentional trick (it's likely unintentional as there's no way to enter the prison and do the rest of Big Hat Logan's questline if you use this).

This video makes it look easy, but it's an extremely difficult skip in terms of timing and execution, and failure means falling to your death due to fall height: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36fhLEcELVY
I called it "pseudo-glitch"...but is not a real glitch, is more " a section that can be played not as intended". Is more correct yep, like that early jump in DS3 to get an Estus Shard and a Ring. Possible, but probably "not the righteous path" :lol:
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

That's why I referred to it as an exploitable oversight. An exploit generally involves no glitching; the in-game physics are behaving correctly. You're not clipping through any objects or going out of bounds. An exploit or oversight is generally something where the code is behaving exactly as intended, and it's just a quirk of the map design that allows you to go somewhere earlier than originally intended if you make creative use of jumping.

A glitch would be more accurately described as something where you're causing the code to do weird stuff that it's clearly not supposed to be doing, such as the item duplication glitch shown here: https://youtu.be/vts7r-N80DE?t=314
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I'm pretty stoked about the DLC. I do hope they tone down the copy paste dungeons and repeat boss battles.
That was kind of a drag in the base game.
They took so long to make this DLC, I'm hoping it has less repeated content.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

I want a massive open world game that takes HUNDREDS of hours to finish!
I want ALL the content to be unique and designed by hand with no re-use of assets!
and I want it yesterday!
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Blinge wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:34 pm I want a massive open world game that takes HUNDREDS of hours to finish!
I want ALL the content to be unique and designed by hand with no re-use of assets!
and I want it yesterday!
Sounds pretty ok except for the massive open world. Can I exchange that part for something else?
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

Blinge wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:34 pm I want a massive open world game that takes HUNDREDS of hours to finish!
and I want it yesterday!
Elden Ring is mostly that, apart for some re-used assest XD
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Lemnear wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:05 pm
and I want it yesterday!
The dungeons and caves are where the game has "open world problems". I guess it was impossible to excel in so many other ways, and not to fall into the open world trap. And the repeat bosses. I don't care for that either.
My NG+ playthrus I just sort of avoid most of the dungeons and caves. Except the ones with upgrades. Luckily those look like burn marks on the map. I guess From knew you might want to skip a lot of
those small caves/dungeons, but they had to mark the important ones.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

evil_ash_xero wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:06 pm
Lemnear wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:05 pm
and I want it yesterday!
The dungeons and caves are where the game has "open world problems". I guess it was impossible to excel in so many other ways, and not to fall into the open world trap. And the repeat bosses. I don't care for that either.
My NG+ playthrus I just sort of avoid most of the dungeons and caves. Except the ones with upgrades. Luckily those look like burn marks on the map. I guess From knew you might want to skip a lot of
those small caves/dungeons, but they had to mark the important ones.
I'm ok with "some" caves. The are a lot of unique ones.
The Legacy Dungeons are good, is the only souls-like with a real city (Leyndell)...the topography and the geographies are cool, VERTICAL , unusual, a tons of different unique locations...what more do you want? XD

Maybe just more balance with the end game Mobs and big enemies, the bosses and common enemies are balanced.
For example, the damage of the giants in the Consacrated Snowfields are OP. They hit for something like 900/1000 Damage...and the HP cap for you is 1900HP (60 Vigor). BUT if i have the HARD CAP for Vigor, i'm suppoused to be "tankish" at least. But no...

PS: FROM are just 400 poeple.
Steamflogger Boss

Lemnear wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:46 pm
Maybe just more balance with the end game Mobs and big enemies, the bosses and common enemies are balanced.
For example, the damage of the giants in the Consacrated Snowfields are OP. They hit for something like 900/1000 Damage...and the HP cap for you is 1900HP (60 Vigor). BUT if i have the HARD CAP for Vigor, i'm suppoused to be "tankish" at least. But no...
Those things really just weren't even worth fighting at all. I just ran from them after my first encounter.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Did anyone have the pleasure of fighting the Runebears in Consecrated Snowfields?

.. =/
guigui

Post by guigui »

I did on my blind NG run. Could kill them with a little effort, long fight. When I did I still had my Morgenstern, bleeding worked pretty well on them.
Of course you have to clear the surroundings first.
That wolf near the rise south of the cascade gave me way more trouble.

But haven't you like cleared the game 10 times already ?
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Oh me? uhh.. 3 times. One was just the main content with a bleed build in mostly a single day. I followed one of those "OP in ten minutes!!" guides.
Even then it was pretty underwhelming.

I only did the full exploration on my blind/ NG run.
Yeah that wolf sucked!!
Especially for my first play which was sorcerer.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Consecrated Snowfield is basically where I end up just running past everything. The enemies are beefy as hell, the first half of the area is shrouded in fog, not to mention a normal playthrough has already been way too long by that point in the game, so I rush through "just to get it done". Same with a couple other areas like Mohgwyn Palace.

I just wrapped up another playthrough last night that I've been working on over the last couple of months. Ended up priming Godrick's axe for the second half of the run. It's pretty damn strong and its special is great for crowds of enemies. Near the end I got Malenia's sword and maxed that out as well. It's not bad.
Steamflogger Boss

Blinge wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:35 pm Did anyone have the pleasure of fighting the Runebears in Consecrated Snowfields?

.. =/
Lovely lads, why do you ask?