Professional/Broadcast monitor hunting.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Ikaruga11

Re: Professional/Broadcast monitor hunting.

Post by Ikaruga11 »

bobrocks95 wrote:
GeneraLight wrote:I've decided I will not rest until I have a Sony BVM-D24E1WU in pristine condition with low hours. Go big or go home.
Why not the 32" version? Go big or go home.
Not as sharp. Also much heavier, bigger, expensive, higher failure rate and more geometry problems.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

tjstogy wrote:MeHhhh I might be in the minority but I am beginning to think broadcast monitors are overrated. I have a 20L5 and I'm on the lookout for a consumer tv.
I'd be happy to buy that 20L5 off you if you get a consumer TV and decide you don't want the 20L5 any more!
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

GeneraLight wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:
GeneraLight wrote:I've decided I will not rest until I have a Sony BVM-D24E1WU in pristine condition with low hours. Go big or go home.
Why not the 32" version? Go big or go home.
Not as sharp. Also much heavier, bigger, expensive, higher failure rate and more geometry problems.
It's 1000 TVL. I can't imagine 8 inches even making a dent on 480p material, much less 240p. Geometry should be tunable to an extreme accuracy for a CRT as well.

Sounds like you're not really serious about going big :P
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

I love the common knowledge that the D32s are super prone to failure.

And get in line, Guspaz.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

bobrocks95 wrote:It's 1000 TVL. I can't imagine 8 inches even making a dent on 480p material, much less 240p. Geometry should be tunable to an extreme accuracy for a CRT as well.

Same specs spread out over a larger area, resulting in a lower DPI.

Big means best in this context, not largest.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

GeneraLight wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:It's 1000 TVL. I can't imagine 8 inches even making a dent on 480p material, much less 240p. Geometry should be tunable to an extreme accuracy for a CRT as well.

Then you really want a 20E1U. It's still 1000 TVL but the screen is even smaller.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
tjstogy

Post by tjstogy »

Haha! As long as someone is willing to drive to Ny, cause I ain't shipping or delivering this sucker.
Einzelherz wrote:I love the common knowledge that the D32s are super prone to failure.

And get in line, Guspaz.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

It depends, are you in Champlain? :P I did convince my best friend to drive me an hour and a half to Trois-Rivières (and back) to pick up my 14L2. That's farther than the closest city in New York (around an hour away), but way closer than, say, NYC (6h). It's times like this that I regret never bothering to get a drivers license. Damn you good public transit system!
Sid

Post by Sid »

Shoot for the dream for sure, but have you looked at the options that would make your KD-34XBR960 truly shine? As nissling points to, with the right treatment, scanlined images on these types of displays can look really nice. I have the Australian equivalent tv (KV-HR36M31), and can attest to the quality that can be achieved. My frame of reference being a PVM-20M4, for 240p reproduction.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

GeneraLight wrote:

sure the columns of phosphors will be a bit farther apart on the 32 incher, but you really got to take into acount the distance at which you'll be gaming from the screen. You'll be futher back when playing on the 32 incher, than you would on the 24 incher.

It's not like you'll be gaming with your nose pressed against the screen
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Sid wrote:Shoot for the dream for sure, but have you looked at the options that would make your KD-34XBR960 truly shine? As nissling points to, with the right treatment, scanlined images on these types of displays can look really nice. I have the Australian equivalent tv (KV-HR36M31), and can attest to the quality that can be achieved. My frame of reference being a PVM-20M4, for 240p reproduction.
This is a good option for sure! A framemeister sending a 1080i scanlined picture to an XBR960 should look indeed great!
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
xga

Post by xga »

What generation of consoles will you be playing on the D24 predominantly? If 15kHz / 240P generation of consoles, you do realise that the 4:3 image will be slighly bigger on a 20" BVM than on the D24? 20" vs 19.6".

http://www.tvcalculator.com/?%7B%22a%22 ... 0%5D%5D%7D

If you were to go with a D32 instead of the D24, the 4:3 image would be 6.5" bigger than on the D24.

Ignore all of this if your intention is to play modern 16:9 consoles on a BVM.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Hmm, I guess so. I wasn't even aware that a 20" version of the E1WU existed. I am thinking about selling my XBR960, but now I'm not so sure. I don't know if I have enough space in room for a 20" - 24" BVM and a 34" HD CRT.

In regards to distance from the screen, I can't be too far back because I have wired GameCube, N64, and soon-to-be SNES and Genesis controllers. Based on those cord lengths and the distance I'll be able to sit away from the console and move my controllers comfortable without tugging on anything, what size do you recommend?
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

xga wrote:
What generation of consoles will you be playing on the D24 predominantly? If 15kHz / 240P generation of consoles, you do realise that the 4:3 image will be slighly bigger on a 20" BVM than on the D24? 20" vs 19.6".

If you were to go with a D32 instead of the D24, the 4:3 image would be 6.5" bigger than on the D24.

Ignore all of this if your intention is to play modern 16:9 consoles on a BVM.
Genesis via CSync RGB SCART
SNES via CSync RGB SCART
N64 via CSync RGB SCART
PS2 via RGsB SCART
GameCube via Component
Wii via Component
PS3 via HDMI or RGB

All the way from 4:3 240p games to 16:9 1080p Bluray movies at 24FPS. How many add-on boards will I need for all these consoles?
xga

Post by xga »

GeneraLight wrote:Hmm, I guess so. I wasn't even aware that a 20" version of the E1WU existed. I am thinking about selling my XBR960, but now I'm not so sure. I don't know if I have enough space in room for a 20" - 24" BVM and a 34" HD CRT.

In regards to distance from the screen, I can't be too far back because I have wired GameCube, N64, and soon-to-be SNES and Genesis controllers. Based on those cord lengths and the distance I'll be able to sit away from the console and move my controllers comfortable without tugging on anything, what size do you recommend?
There is no 20" E1WU. The 20" in the D range is the D20F1U which has a 900 TVL tube. If you want a 1,000 TVL 20" BVM you'll need to get a 20E1U BVM. These are a few years older than the D range and are not multiformat. e.g. won't do 720P or 1080i.

Regarding size, if this is your first BVM, I'd try and get a D20F1U first and see if that fits your needs. It'll most likely be cheaper than the D24 and if you think you need bigger after getting it, you could look for a D32 and sell the D20.
Last edited by xga on Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xga

Post by xga »

GeneraLight wrote: Genesis via CSync RGB SCART
SNES via CSync RGB SCART
N64 via CSync RGB SCART
PS2 via RGsB SCART
GameCube via Component
Wii via Component
PS3 via HDMI or RGB

All the way from 4:3 240p games to 16:9 1080p Bluray movies at 24FPS. How many add-on boards will I need for all these consoles?
In that case, a D24 or D32 are your only real options.

You'll need some sort of switcher for the SCART and Component consoles (perhaps a small Extron Crosspoint) and a HDMI to HD-SDI converter for your PS3 if you don't want that going over component.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

xga wrote:You'll need some sort of switcher for the SCART and Component consoles (perhaps a small Extron Crosspoint) and a HDMI to HD-SDI converter for your PS3 if you don't want that going over component.
Why do I need a switcher? Can't I just plug them in directly with YPbPr -> BNC adaptors, SCART -> BNC adaptors and HDMI -> SDI adaptors?
xga

Post by xga »

GeneraLight wrote: Why do I need a switcher? Can't I just plug them in directly with YPbPr -> BNC adaptors, SCART -> BNC adaptors and HDMI -> SDI adaptors?
You'll only have one RGB input, so if you don't mind swapping consoles that use RGB each time you want to play them, then you won't need a switcher.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

xga wrote:
GeneraLight wrote: Why do I need a switcher? Can't I just plug them in directly with YPbPr -> BNC adaptors, SCART -> BNC adaptors and HDMI -> SDI adaptors?
You'll only have one RGB input, so if you don't mind swapping consoles that use RGB each time you want to play them, then you won't need a switcher.
Alright, I need a switcher. I do not want to go through the hassle of unplugging things and replugging everytime I want to play something else. What's the best switcher? Does it introduce any video artifacts or input lag?
nissling

Post by nissling »

FinalBaton wrote:A framemeister sending a 1080i scanlined picture to an XBR960 should look indeed great!
The XRGB-mini cannot add scanlines in 1080i. Or at least I couldn't make it happen on mine. A shame since it outputs a very good 1080i signal which suits HD CRTs very well.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

nissling wrote:
FinalBaton wrote:A framemeister sending a 1080i scanlined picture to an XBR960 should look indeed great!
The XRGB-mini cannot add scanlines in 1080i. Or at least I couldn't make it happen on mine. A shame since it outputs a very good 1080i signal which suits HD CRTs very well.
oh damn! my mistake :oops:

well since the XBR960's 480p mode has a bit of lag (and the 720p's upscaling even more so), then I guess it's not ideal to go this way on this display. Maybe it does look good and isn't too laggy in 480p though, who knows.

but wait: the user can just use the XRGB-mini in 1080p, right? a 1080i consumer set is usually able to read 1080p and display it in 1080i
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
nissling

Post by nissling »

I don't think that added scanlines in 1080i would look that stellar. After all it will then simply draw the odd lines black (or rather not draw them at all), so unlike a 240p signal where the even lines are drawn twice in a row you will get much more flickering and certainly loose contrast. But even without scanlines the XRGB-mini in 1080i is, like I said, great for CRTs and brings new life into the display. I'd easily take it over any DVDO or Faroudja scaler for retro gaming on a CRT in HD.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I honestly didn't know that the Mini can't do scanlines in 1080i. Are you sure about that ?

If scanlines are added as the final step, then overlaying them on a 1080i signal is just as easy as doing it on 1080p one.

On an interlaced display 1080i scanlines look alright. I've tried this in a Sony FW900 at some point. If you're using a 1:2 integer profile you can get 480p (active) per field, which leaves enough room for stable 240p scanlines.

NEVER ever try to deinterlace a scanlined 1080i image though. This would erase the scanlines and just dimm the picture instead. Not a good idea.
the user can just use the XRGB-mini in 1080p, right? a 1080i consumer set is usually able to read 1080p and display it in 1080i
no, the chassis can't handle twice the bandwith.
nissling

Post by nissling »

Fudoh wrote:I honestly didn't know that the Mini can't do scanlines in 1080i. Are you sure about that ?
Didn't work for me when I tried it on my HDM with the by then latest firmware (2.something). You could give it a try yourself to confirm this.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Fudoh wrote:
the user can just use the XRGB-mini in 1080p, right? a 1080i consumer set is usually able to read 1080p and display it in 1080i
no, the chassis can't handle twice the bandwith.
Ah, gotcha
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
korpse413

Post by korpse413 »

Those of you guys in the New England area, I recently saw this post around my neck of the woods https://hartford.craigslist.org/ele/5759922142.html

Listing is ending soon. The guy doesn't show photos of it working or anything. I tried contacting him but he never responded. I was never really super interested in it myself, but figured i'd share with you guys. I live in Western Mass so Hartford is basically my 'Boston'. Hope you have more luck getting in contact with him than I did; maybe you can snag it for less.
tjstogy

Post by tjstogy »

$500 and he's not responding. What a jack off. Probably already sold it. I bought mine in Brooklyn last year for $50. Not bragging (maybe a little) but the prices these things are getting is just so stupid.
korpse413 wrote:Those of you guys in the New England area, I recently saw this post around my neck of the woods https://hartford.craigslist.org/ele/5759922142.html

Listing is ending soon. The guy doesn't show photos of it working or anything. I tried contacting him but he never responded. I was never really super interested in it myself, but figured i'd share with you guys. I live in Western Mass so Hartford is basically my 'Boston'. Hope you have more luck getting in contact with him than I did; maybe you can snag it for less.
korpse413

Post by korpse413 »

tjstogy wrote:$500 and he's not responding. What a jack off. Probably already sold it. I bought mine in Brooklyn last year for $50. Not bragging (maybe a little) but the prices these things are getting is just so stupid.
Yeah, I mean I asked if he would consider going lower on the price, but honestly, I wasn't even interested really from the beginning. I would only have bought if it was like $50 (nice score on yours, also damn you :P ). Would love to have found out if he were into the hobby, but my guess is he just noticed these are going for a bunch on ebay and wanted to profit, can't blame the guy for trying. I will make due with my D20 :P
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

FinalBaton wrote:well since the XBR960's 480p mode has a bit of lag (and the 720p's upscaling even more so), then I guess it's not ideal to go this way on this display. i
Actually, I played quite a few Dreamcast shooters in 480p on my Sony Hi-Scan set, so I think the lag in 480p is very low, possibly less than a frame. I've said before that 16:9 mode 480p is laggier, but I didn't test enough games with it to say for sure.
tjstogy

Post by tjstogy »

I just don't think they're for everybody.... sure 240p looks sharp but so do upscalers. I mean if it's that classic crt look you're after..... this really isn't really it. It's like a whole different ball game. If you want to see what the n64 is hiding under its ugly hood, it's terrific....
korpse413 wrote:
tjstogy wrote:$500 and he's not responding. What a jack off. Probably already sold it. I bought mine in Brooklyn last year for $50. Not bragging (maybe a little) but the prices these things are getting is just so stupid.
Yeah, I mean I asked if he would consider going lower on the price, but honestly, I wasn't even interested really from the beginning. I would only have bought if it was like $50 (nice score on yours, also damn you :P ). Would love to have found out if he were into the hobby, but my guess is he just noticed these are going for a bunch on ebay and wanted to profit, can't blame the guy for trying. I will make due with my D20 :P