Horror Story (Demon's World)

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
Despatche

Horror Story (Demon's World)

Post by Despatche »

Good thing nobody posted a score yet. The harder version where you start off fighting the jiangshis on bicycles is apparently an original "version A" release, while the easier version where you start out in an American town is some sort of "version B" rerelease kind of like all those 2P versions of other Toaplan games. It is still true that the PC Engine version is based on version A. Pretty sure it's still true that version B has infinite milking, so play at your own peril. I still maintain that the soundtrack order used in both versions' sound tests, which is also used in version B gameplay, is what was originally intended by the composer. Wikipedia can still fuck off.
----------
Post scores in this format:

Code: Select all

VERSION
NAME - SCORE - STAGE - AUTOFIRE - DETAILS
DETAILS is for which release of game or console, which emulator and program version, etc. You may want to note which region you selected for this game.

1. Steven -   673,400 -  6  - No  - Switch (Japan)
Version B (easier)

1. Steven -   972,910 - ALL - No  - Switch (Japan)
PC Engine CD-ROM² version
Last edited by Despatche on Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:14 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Gemant

Re: Horror Story/Demon's World

Post by Gemant »

Demon's World / Horror Story (set 1) (demonwld) is a infinite pattern game. This is the western version.

Demon's World / Horror Story (set 4) (demonwld3) is original japanese version.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Sumez made me aware that this thread exists, so here I am. I love this game, so I'll definitely put some scores up for it soon.

As for the two versions of the game, M2 has officially labeled the China start version as version A and the USA start version as version B. I think M2 mentioned on one of their streams that both versions were released in Japan and that the USA start version is very rare. For specifics, check out the Toaplan documentary once it's released. All sorts of cool information about the game will be in there.

I also want to mention that the PCB has internal autofire on button C. This is, as of now, strangely absent on M2's PS4 release but present on the Switch version, where it is incorrectly labeled Shot (15連). I don't know the speed of the PCB autofire, but if I had to guess I'd say it's about 6~8Hz. With the internal auto or no auto, bomb is generally recommended for version A, especially later in the game. Using external autofire greatly enhances the usability of the three-way spread shot.
Last edited by Steven on Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steven

Post by Steven »

First, 8.5 years later.

Arcade B, or Version 1 if you prefer

Steven - 254,900 - 3 - Int. - Japan ROM, Switch
Spoiler
What are we counting as stages? Is the entire staring town area plus the desert part where it changes music temporarily before switching back considered one stage or are those separate? I'm assuming those are the same stage, but in order to reduce confusion, I made it to the Japan stage. Also, should we use the M2 version designations? That's as close as we have to official designations for now.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Arcade B/Version 1

Steven - 666,150 - 6 - Int. - Japan ROM, Switch
Spoiler
Arcade A/Version 2

Steven - 268,400 - 2 - Int. - Japan ROM, Switch
Spoiler
Steven

Post by Steven »

Arcade B/Version 1

Steven - 742,210 - 7 - Int. - Japan ROM, Switch
Spoiler
Fuck the Metroids. They aren't as bad here as they are in the other version of the game, though. Just need to get past that one dragon boss in the hallway and then I think I should be good for the rest of the game.

BTW for PC Engine the game defaults to checkpoints off, but you can enable them in the options menu if you want.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Clear get. What a nice game.

Arcade B/Version 1

Steven - 972,910 - ALL - Int. - Japan ROM, Switch
Spoiler
Steven

Post by Steven »

Arcade A/Version 2

Steven - 516,050 - 5 - Int. - Japan ROM, Switch
Spoiler
Steven

Post by Steven »

Arcade A/Version 2

Steven - 673,400 - 6 - Int. - Japan ROM, Switch
Spoiler
I checked out the PC Engine version and it seems that it not only has divided the game into separate stages, it combined the southern islands and Japan stages into one stage, further increasing my confusion as to what to write for stage number for the arcade version.
Despatche

Re: Horror Story (Demon's World)

Post by Despatche »

Can't believe this is what got me to log in. Ugh. I am very sorry for literally being responsible for stupid misinformation due to what was a wild (albeit informed) guess that I had no way of verifying. Finding out that the updated version has the milking is especially funny. As always, thank you M2.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Steven

Re: Horror Story (Demon's World)

Post by Steven »

Eh, don't worry about it. Nobody really had any info on this game's development for a long time. The Toaplan documentary will tell you everything you want to know about the game. The story of the development of this game and its two versions was quite interesting, but it's not something that I can talk about.

Sumez found the highest scoring replay I have seen so far. I wonder if this is the world record. I wouldn't be surprised if it is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvqVq8SGdI8

This is that player's website page for the game, which has some useful information: https://retro-arcade-dataroom.blogspot. ... story.html