Phantasy Star Series

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Squire Grooktook

Re: Phantasy Star Series

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Captain wrote: Definitely not what I stated. Overall II and IV are better games.
II = 'okay' story and combat. IV = 'Mediocre' story and 'superb' combat.

Not sure I'd agree with any of those 4 assesments. 2 is far, far better than okay on both fronts.

4's combat is good, but I'd rather be playing any Final Fantasy of the time (or psII for the superior challenge), so superb is stretching it a bit imo.

On the other hand, 'mediocre' is a really massive stretch on iv story wise. Simple as it is, the story is far more charming than 90% of the rpg's on the market at the time. Probably now too. Again, same can be said of II's story imo even though it's not as developed.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Heavy Viper

Post by Heavy Viper »

Main thing I remember from my brief play of PSIII is that the first companion you meet is a cyborg lady standing near a lake. When you speak to her, she essentially says, "'sup I've just been standing around for the last 300-ish years waiting for you, okay, let's go." Still makes me giggle today.

Oh, that and this. ;_;
VPR@Twitter ~~~ VPR@Soundcloud ~~~ VPR@Bandcamp
Sound Design/Music Composition/General Audio Hand: Zenodyne R, Fire Arrow X, Jet Buster, Zenodeath and...
Captain

Post by Captain »

That cyborg lady is easily explained.

Your kingdom is the one that controls robotic monsters, and you're a prince, essentially making you their master.. She hasn't been waiting for you, but for any orakian royalty in need of assistance, much like Wren later on.
In search of great justice, sailing on a sea of stars.
Image Image
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Captain wrote:PSIII...

There are two sides to this game, really:

-The combat, which is one of the worst examples out there.

-The rest of the game. The story is a masterpiece with many subtle little things you won't notice until you play the other PS games or think logically (connect the dots). The concept of many different endings and characters is also very appealing and alluring, making you want to try every outcome out. The progression I can compare to Metroid in RPG form, you repeatedly find new interests and paths from old areas, revisiting them is hardly ever annoying too.

Overall the single negative aspect - the combat system - makes this game seem horrible, but take it out and you have a solid 9/10 game. Sadly combat is pretty much the core of RPGs.

If you want to properly enjoy the game, much grinding and repetition is involved.

If you want to fully enjoy the game, use some cheats to make yourself invincible and/or disable random battles, and focus on the other brilliant aspects of the game.

The game is unbalanced, full of greatness but outweighed by the horrible core system, unlike PSII which has okay story and okay combat, and is a better game overall, and PSIV which has superb combat and mediocre story.
I owned PS3 as a kid and unlocked several of the endings. I take the opposite view.

I think PS3 had some original ideas to the combat that added a layer of tactics that weren't there in PS2 or 4. Monsters were arranged in two rows, and different weapons or spells had different areas of effect, and while the equipment characters could use in PS2 seemed entirely arbitrary at times, PS3 had clear distinctions between what Orakian and Layan men and women used. However grating the quality, having music that changed depending on how you were doing in battle was a forward-looking approach. I'd say the terrible graphics and ridiculous enemy designs were what ruined the combat for many, the one that sticks the most in my mind being the giant smiling face in the back row that attacks by wiggling its eyebrows at you.

But not only was the plot weak, it directly contradicted PS2:
Spoiler
In Phantasy Star 2, the idea of the story was that Earthlings, colluding somehow with Dark Force, were destroying Algol insidiously by making its populace completely dependent on their Mother Brain computer, and the planet most strongly under the thumb of Mother Brain was the government center at Palm. In fact, all the robots that are chasing the party in Act 2 were sent by the Palm government after Mother Brain framed you. After the party is captured, Mother Brain sends the prison space station Gaira wildly off course and smashes it into Palm, destroying it.

Yet Phantasy Star 3 says that this same Palm government not only knew that Mother Brain was plotting their destruction, they also took the incredible time and resources to construct multiple gigantic biosphere colony ships and send them away right before Gaira malfunctioned and crashed into them! Garbage.
There were a lot more characters and a lot more talking in PS3 than 2, but as Shakespeare said, "Brevity is the Soul of Wit," and while PS2 had an oppressive atmosphere of depression and doom hanging over it, PS3 added up to little more than a soap opera. The main place I'd say PS3 had "atmosphere" was the first time you traveled between spheres and after all that medieval fantasy context suddenly you're in a high tech engine room with the machinery glowing and pulsing in time with the music.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Started playing PS Generations 2 (French-translated) and while it's neat I'm starting to feel the differences in character balance and stuff.

- I'm only at Nido and for some reason quite often Rudo attacks before Rolf. wtf ?
- The item and equipment menu is kind of confusing but I'll get used to it.
- The remixed music are kind of meh.
- Have yet to explore the new gameplay features.

Characters walk faster and it's nice but since I'm using PSCX2 I can also fast forward by pressing tab, happy grinding.

I've read a bit about the differences; characters have been rebalanced so my 'core' party will probably be different than usual. Also glad to learn they didn't make the game any easier.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Heavy Viper wrote:There's something relaxing about playing an RPG this...simple? Gives plenty of room for the imagination to fill in the blanks, especially in battles.
We play games to play them. I've often complained about how Mario and Zelda started to go post N64 - long uninteresting walls of slowly crawling text. "Can I just jump on a goomba's head or run around a dungeon already?"

Story has always just been a garnish to jRPGs.

How many visual novels are there out there where the protagonist is completely silent? Or whose sole motivation was to level up and get sweet lewt?
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

BryanM wrote:Story has always just been a garnish to jRPGs.
That's like sprinkling pepper onto a plate of salt!
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

BryanM wrote:
Heavy Viper wrote:There's something relaxing about playing an RPG this...simple? Gives plenty of room for the imagination to fill in the blanks, especially in battles.
We play games to play them...long uninteresting walls of slowly crawling text...Story has always just been a garnish to jRPGs.
Eh, it depends. I've played quite a few rpg's that I'd never have bothered with if I didn't find the story/setting/characters/atmosphere good. Sometimes it's 50/50, or sometimes I don't care at all if the gameplay is good. It really just depends.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

That's Yellow Dam down, cleared the place out. Rolf's heading up the party lookin' hella swag with his Amber Robe and I'm very pleased to have my hands on this item.

The GRA-mours are an extremely welcome addition also, but if this thread is anything to go by, these items won't stop me getting my ass kicked later!

Aha I will have to get round to Romancing SaGa after seeing it featured in this freakin' awesome video:

SNES Medley

I swore years ago to play all these games to completion.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

[quote="Blinge"]Saw this awesome fuckin' tune from PSIV on youtube.
Damn I love the megadrive/genesis sound chip. Although I've probably spoiled an epic boss atmosphere for myself.

This sounds like it was recorded on a genesis 2 which means that the tune isnt as awesome as it could be. the genesis 2 sounds different from the first genesis. not as good.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

mvsfan wrote:
Blinge wrote:the genesis 2 sounds different from the first genesis. not as good.
IIRC it's different with each board revision, VA3 and VA4 (4 in particular) supposedly had decent to good audio circuitry.
And some MD1 sound horrible too, (VA6 or VA7 dunno check on sega-16)
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Xyga wrote:
mvsfan wrote:
Blinge wrote:the genesis 2 sounds different from the first genesis. not as good.
IIRC it's different with each board revision, VA3 and VA4 (4 in particular) supposedly had decent to good audio circuitry.
And some MD1 sound horrible too, (VA6 or VA7 dunno check on sega-16)
Genesis 1 without "High Definition Graphics" is the model most likely to have poor sound. If I remember correctly, all HDG models have good sound. I heard the ones without copyright messing before starting a game have the best sound.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

most of The Tmss and non tmss model 1s are both the same sound quality. the VA7 model 1 is the one that stinks. its the only one.

some of the non-HDG genesis still have the good sound chip. they are missing the ext port though. They are VA6.8.

Its easy to tell a good genesis 1 from the va7 though.

all of the good genesis 1s have the power jack right on the edge of the console.

on the va7 there is an empty space on the edge of the console and all of the ports are shifted about an inch.

early, good genesis

VA7

the VA7 is basically a model 2 in a model 1 case.

and as far as good sounding model 2s go - they all have issues. I have a va1.8 model 2 and i have a va3 3/4 motherboard model 2.

they sound nothing like the model 1s.

at one point i had one of every genesis 1. i bought a huge lot of 22 systems recently and got to listen to them all. ive since sold all of the non-tmss consoles.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

and don't even bother with those AtGames things. I have heard one and it the sound is worse than any model of Genesis. I heard the compatibility isn't 100% either (most likely because it uses emulation rather than Genesis on a chip).
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

mvsfan wrote:and as far as good sounding model 2s go - they all have issues. I have a va1.8 model 2 and i have a va3 3/4 motherboard model 2.

they sound nothing like the model 1s.
Are they all that bad ? On sega-16 they say VA3 & VA4 'sound almost as good as MD1' with VA4 having the less noise of the MD2's.

I used to own a number of MD1 and MD2 at the same time but never any of the 'good' MD2's so I could never compare directly myself.

Now I only have two bad (VA1.8) MD2 left. :( At some point I was going to re-stock a number of both models, keep the good ones and mod them, but even the shittiest full of dust and spider webs is like 50€ now, even in 2nd hand shops, people are insane.

--------

Anyway back-o-topic I'm enjoying PS Gen 2, but really miss the original musics... it's the biggest issue with that remake methinks.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

well i will say its my opinion, but i can hear the difference between the model 1 and all the model 2s.

the model 2 generates some different tones, even with the mega amp i can still hear the difference, although the mega amp sounds better than Any stock model 2 or va7.

and to be on topic again - i havent yet played the early phantasy stars although ive had PSO a long time. I really liked the dreamcast. it really did what Nintendidnt. I did not own an n64 back in the day. its a blurry mess. even back then i said so. it was the only system that hurt my eyes.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

People be messing the quotes up, I didn't say anything about different MegaDrive versions.. this shouldn't bother me but it does =]

Kain's techniques are a bit lame, the damage dealing moves are fine, it's just the ones that are supposed to stop or confuse a robot. They never seem to work, don't seem to make a blind bit of difference.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Yeah his early techniques suck but GAJ and SAG rock (very useful later in the game).
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

Blinge wrote:People be messing the quotes up, I didn't say anything about different MegaDrive versions.. this shouldn't bother me but it does =]

Kain's techniques are a bit lame, the damage dealing moves are fine, it's just the ones that are supposed to stop or confuse a robot. They never seem to work, don't seem to make a blind bit of difference.

I apologize if it got read that way, but that was me commenting underneath on that phantasy star youtube video you posted.

I noticed that the video sounds like it was recorded on a genesis 2.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Ha don't worry I get it.

well, is this a genesis 1 recording?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQQXKH_XXh4

(Blue dam down)
Heavy Viper

Post by Heavy Viper »

I'd say that most stuff on YouTube is captured from an emulator. Sounds a bit too clean to my ears.

Out of interest, here are some Thunder Force IV samples I took from my PAL VA6/6.8 MD1 through the headphone jack. Ran it through my Asus sound card's line in to test it out.

Metal Squad
Ranking Screen (Demo)

The level is a bit low, I know, but that was recorded with the MD's HP fader at 10. I actually have a bunch of audio samples from different models that I recorded for someone on another forum, though they were recorded before I got my sound card. Perhaps I should re-record them...
Sound Design/Music Composition/General Audio Hand: Zenodyne R, Fire Arrow X, Jet Buster, Zenodeath and...
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

i love that metal squad track. Id say thats probably one of the best songs to listen to to see if your genesis is up to power.

Great.

that track distorts and sounds like shit is missing on a genny 2.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

So I've cleared Green Dam. As usual my first foray into the dungeon was without looking at guides or maps, until my party was done and I had to warp out. I then used a map to plan a route and realised I'd taken the correct path, and was just a chute away from the computer when I tapped out!
It's irrelevant though as for my second trip I'd need to explore more and grab all the items anyway.
Spoiler
So the second boss, Army Eye shows up and I've got an instant hardon. "Finally.. another boss to end my RPG blue balls"
Glad I healed up before using the computer, just had a hunch that something would go down.

..Suddenly I'm on a prison satellite in outer space. What a cool little setpiece the satellite escape is: I went through every thought process you'd imagine.
"Urgh, where's my stuff." "Fine, i'll fight with techniques.. oh fuck.. 0 TP"
Every flee attempt from the random encounters was successful so I wonder if you can't fail to run away each time.
I see Palm as the collision target for the satellite and think cool, haven't been on a new planet yet, remembering Palm from PSI.

NOPE. entire planet is destroyed.. holy shit. Now I see what people meant about this game being grim

So I'm on Dezo now, can't figure out whether this place is a dungeon or the overworld, Ryuka works but not Hinas which suggests overworld, but I found a chest which suggests dungeon. Guess I'll find out once I have time to explore a bit, and I'm glad to see some monsters again, the robots were becoming tiresome.

FUCK YEAH COOLEY61
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh for fuck - Blinge pls forgive me for topic hijack ;-;

Anyone interested in a complete and as new (all packaging + papers present & flawless, disc flawless) copy of the PS2 Phantasy Star Collection (AGES Vol32)? £10 shipped via Special Delivery in the UK, probably a bit more overseas. Has both the Japanese and overseas versions of all four games for full English language support. I bought it "NEW + SEALED ROFL" but received this instead. Easily mint enough for my liking but I dunno mang - for DC and later stuff I prefer to just buy new, it still ain't hard to find you know? Now earlier stuff, FUCK THAT SHIT. Take advantage of an unwell man's neurosis now!

naw for real I got refunded already and DGAF, will probably just bung this over to my good buddy Lee @ VGI for store cred. Just wondered if anyone here might be interested.
juonryu2nd

Post by juonryu2nd »

Oh man, PS2... I went through all of Climatrol and everything before it without realizing that you can recruit new members at your house.
I reached the dams, but I stopped playing for now.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

So I decided to play through PS1, using the fan translated japanese version for FM sound and improved translation. Actually digging it quite a bit so far, though dungeon navigation can get you lost easily lol :P
Rupert H

Post by Rupert H »

BIL: Definitely interested. Expect an incoming PM when I'm not using Tapatalk.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Cool Rupert, consider it held. :smile:
Heavy Viper

Post by Heavy Viper »

Finished Phantasy Star 1 Retranslation! Played through it on my Mega Drive, and aside from my LandMaster turning into a second FlowMover near the end of the game for some reason, it was pretty damn solid!

PS2 is up next. Never played more than an hour into it before, so this should be interesting.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

BIL wrote:Oh for fuck - Blinge pls forgive me for topic hijack ;-;
Haha no worries.

Wandered around Dezo and made it to Zosa, damn it's a relief to finally get new equipment; Rudo was looking a bit stale.