Level formats people are using

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
louisg

Level formats people are using

Post by louisg »

Hey, I'd like to start a thread on the various pros and cons of using different level format styles, just out of curiousity =) I know when was programming a shooter I used a timer system (and a script list) to spawn enemies, though this would not allow for, say, tanks to roam out along roads in a background very easily.

However, although using a tile system to place enemy patterns allows for the above example, it might not allow for the flexibility a timer list does in terms of enemies coming approaching from multiple angles (behind) or just enemy positions which are not quantized to a tile, or complex background plane manipulations.

Any thoughts? =)
Humans, think about what you have done
ForteMP3

Post by ForteMP3 »

I'm using the tile format, but that's not to say you can't have more complex enemy stuff with it.

For example, if you want enemies to attack from behind, place an invisible, inactive (and unhittable) version of the enemy on the level. When it goes past the bottom of the screen, activate it (Make it visible, hittable, etc) and have it fly on up.
YOU ARE APPROACHING THE TARGET OF ATTACK! THE MISSION STARTS NOW! ARE YOU READY?!
kidneythief
Banned User

Post by kidneythief »

I think scripting the activation of enemies/powerups is usually fairly popular, if you want to code your own script parser/engine. Would also simplify the editing of the levels too. Additionally, if you want to get super complicated, could even script events to occur in the background (depending on what method you're using for your BG)
Thou shalt not Dumb
sniperwolf

Post by sniperwolf »

For my engine, I'm using regular old Lightwave model - to - DirectX mesh for my level object. Then again, my engine's full-3D. :)

For scripting enemies, I'm going to use a straight up position triggered system - IE, if the current X-coordinate of the camera is ___, then trigger ___ enemy. I figure I'll read that data from a text or binary file upon level load, store each coordinate and it's matching enemy in an array list, then each frame render I'll cycle through the array list and check my current x-coordinate against the triggers list. If a trigger fires, I'll remove it from the list.
How do I wrote code?
Berty

Post by Berty »

Im also in 3d land, I export to 3ds for level with max script back end for enemy animation and movements.