GD: Armed Police Batrider

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Macaw

Post by Macaw »

hmmm, it must be to do with the aura then because even getting a perfect medal chain to the end while bombing every 10k location wouldnt come close to 20 million.
landshark

Post by landshark »

NTSC-J wrote:I watched a guy the other day get in the C range on Advanced Course, he pulled off all kinds of tricks. He seemed to use Strawman the most, with Carpet and someone else I can't remember. He used the aura a lot and just sat there tickling the bosses. Sometimes he would graze bullets with the aura for more points, plus he knew where all the big 10k medal spots were.
You get points for grazing bullets?
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

It's a really small amount. You get grazing points in Ibara too- check the flamethrowers on the 4th stage boss.

20+ million = all extra bosses, perfect medal chain and lots of milking.
Ko.oS

+1

Post by Ko.oS »

http://p-position.com/highscore/raijing/batrider.html

21+M score a few weeks after the game's release, so it cant be that hard.

:wink:
Frederik

Post by Frederik »

Okay since Icarus screamed (or CAPSLOCKED) at us in the "Batider yay or nay" thread to join the Strat section I am going to repeat two questions (one from Shatterhand and one from me):

-After starting the rom in MAME can you simply press F10 and speed up the rank-lowering wainting sequence? I heard it was about half a hour in normal idle status for the rank to go all down.

-Can you somehow keep the changes in the bullet colors after Game Over? I like to change them once in a while for better visibility, but while that worked fine in Bakraid and its slow first stage it`s nearly impossible in Batrider since you`re so busy right from the start.
THE BULLETS ARE NOW DIAMONDS!
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

FrederikJurk wrote:Okay since Icarus screamed (or CAPSLOCKED) at us in the "Batider yay or nay" thread to join the Strat section I am going to repeat two questions (one from Shatterhand and one from me):
Haha, just joining in the random sillyness there. ^_-
FrederikJurk wrote:-After starting the rom in MAME can you simply press F10 and speed up the rank-lowering wainting sequence? I heard it was about half a hour in normal idle status for the rank to go all down.
Yes you can. I usually have a state saved so I can reload at minimum rank. You have to remember that the states for all Raizing arcade games can only be loaded once the game has passed the ROM check part, or else the game will not function correctly.
FrederikJurk wrote:-Can you somehow keep the changes in the bullet colors after Game Over? I like to change them once in a while for better visibility, but while that worked fine in Bakraid and its slow first stage it`s nearly impossible in Batrider since you`re so busy right from the start.
Dunno, I've never actually bothered to change the bullet colours in-game. I would assume that you would have to change them with every new credit, because it would be annoying to play with someone else's settings.
Frederik

Post by Frederik »

The now back alive World Of Arcades mentions an extra extend besides the 1,5 mil and "missing 3 big bomber items" ones:

" 2. Shoot the blue hovercraft in the highway stage after it stopped. "

Is this true and how exactly is this done? I either get killed by the all-covering shots of it or bomb it away as fast as possible; but with some pratice (level-selecting the Highway stage right after Stage 1) this might be worth it.

Oh, and Icarus, you mentioned on the highscore thread that the helicopters in the Highway stage shouldn`t be attacked; I usually lose my medal chain there if I didn`t do that before :roll: Is that the reason?
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

FrederikJurk wrote:The now back alive World Of Arcades mentions an extra extend besides the 1,5 mil and "missing 3 big bomber items" ones:

" 2. Shoot the blue hovercraft in the highway stage after it stopped. "

Is this true and how exactly is this done? I either get killed by the all-covering shots of it or bomb it away as fast as possible; but with some pratice (level-selecting the Highway stage right after Stage 1) this might be worth it.
Yup, like the Garegga hovertank, waiting until the blue hovertank has stopped before destroying it will give you an extra Extend. I believe you must destroy the side parts of the hovertank first though.
FrederikJurk wrote:Oh, and Icarus, you mentioned on the highscore thread that the helicopters in the Highway stage shouldn`t be attacked; I usually lose my medal chain there if I didn`t do that before :roll: Is that the reason?
Unless you have some safe route which can get you those Medals quickly and easily, don't attack the helicopters. Especially important if you are devising a route that can be used in Advanced Course, as you need to be scoring a lot of points when you get to stage6.

Also, as we have just discovered in the Garegga strategy thread, collecting Medals at 100 to 500pts is more lethal for your rank than collecting Medals at values of 600pts and higher. I know this is definitely the case in both Garegga and Ibara, and it is probably the case in Batrider as well.
Frederik

Post by Frederik »

Icarus wrote: Also, as we have just discovered in the Garegga strategy thread, collecting Medals at 100 to 500pts is more lethal for your rank than collecting Medals at values of 600pts and higher. I know this is definitely the case in both Garegga and Ibara, and it is probably the case in Batrider as well.
Raizings rank system never fails to impress me. So basically, if my medal chain cuts off halfway through, it would be better not to start a new one? More of a rhetorical question since loosing my chain makes me arrive in Stage 5 with a solid 1 million points less; so more often than not I simply restart. :?
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

FrederikJurk wrote:Raizings rank system never fails to impress me. So basically, if my medal chain cuts off halfway through, it would be better not to start a new one? More of a rhetorical question since loosing my chain makes me arrive in Stage 5 with a solid 1 million points less; so more often than not I simply restart. :?
Depends on how late into your run it cuts out. The rank increase from collecting the single 100-500pt Medals in Garegga and Ibara isn't too severe but definitely noticeable, but be wary that collecting a fuckton of 100-500pt Medals in these games is a credit killer. If you drop your Medals and quickly rebuild past 500pts then you should be safe.
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

Destroying that hovertank for the extend is important for getting the special drop 3, get 3 extend in Advance Course. It's tricky to figure out the correct amount of damage so you don't kill it early, you'll need some practice there.
Frederik

Post by Frederik »

Okay, I`ve got a big package of questions after playing Batrider quite much (and no other game besides) during the last few days:

-What about suiciding for rank lowering? After excessive play I often have all three ships in stock when the first extend approaches; picking that up would only increase the rank, I guess, so suiciding shortly before and then picking up would lead to decreased rank + full stock + bonus big bomb, right?

-Another question that came to my mind is if collecting small shot powerup segments is a good idea, or if I should ignore them and go only for the large ones to avoid rank increase again - or doesn`t that make any difference? I sometimes go for the "Special power up" strategy, but then again I am often too busy to count how much powerups I already dropped.

-Does the time-based rank increase (survival time) depend on how much powered up I am? If I played with rather low power, would that amount in a lower rank?

and related to this

-If a shot hits a boss, does my score increase connected to the shot strenght? When I am lower-powered, I could shoot a boss longer, but would that amount to more points? I doubt that, but I wanted to clear that.

Sorry for the many questions, I am a bit stuck at the moment; I once got over my personal 4 mil border (Normal) two days ago but couldn`t repeat that till now - I am mostly playing with Maria and not consistent enough to trigger extra bosses, I`d rather beat the dreaded three bosses at Stage 5 first, though that seems harder to me than beating Bashinet or Gobo-Rob - but I really want to ALL it first. Such a great, complex, addicting game!

What is the most fun about this is that staying at one game gets me growing much more in my skills than switching between short blasts of 10 minute plays. Its interesting to see myself between fast development and plateau phases; and this is such a great game to built up on. Maybe I`ll throw in a quick Easy-ALL or practicing the bosses before continuing regular play; or testing team mode a little bit...

Man, the Strat and HiScore section is the most relevant part of this forum by miles. Wonder why I avoided it for so long :?
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

FrederikJurk wrote:Okay, I`ve got a big package of questions after playing Batrider quite much (and no other game besides) during the last few days:

-What about suiciding for rank lowering? After excessive play I often have all three ships in stock when the first extend approaches; picking that up would only increase the rank, I guess, so suiciding shortly before and then picking up would lead to decreased rank + full stock + bonus big bomb, right?
Are playing Normal? If so you are worrying WAY too much about rank. Grab the extras for the 100k bonus.

For Advance Course-

Instead of suiciding I'd just drop the extend. Miss your first three extends and the next will be a Special Extend for a full stock of ships.
Frederik

Post by Frederik »

Yeah, I just read your post on page one, and that more or less answered my questions. Was about to edit my post but you were faster. Thanks :wink:
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

I'd say go suicide before getting an extend if you already have 3 lives just for the 1.5 bombs anyway -- rank isn't all that important in Normal Course, as it seems to have a much lower cap and increase rate than Advanced Course, but 1.5 bombs still provide scoring benefits beyond 100k in certain areas.

They're also an extra bit of insurance if you're screwing yourself in boss patterns.
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
DEL

Batrider 6,227,680 on Normal Course Tonight

Post by DEL »

General notes:- I can see why Laos chooses Carpet in his team, its just so useful for score on almost every stage. On the Sky stage it brings double medals out of the mid-sized blue planes. The piercing cannon opens up the Sky Bosses' wings with ease, and racks up good points by simply piercing the Bosses' structure. It destroys the side turrets towards the end of Airport without having to bomb. Tonight I found that its also good for medalling on the 2nd Ninja - Hayate. It destroys Blunt with ease. It medals-up fastest of all ships on Stage 1. And so on......
I think you can guess what I'm getting at :wink: , choose Carpet as one of your team members if you're going for a Normal Course score.
FatCobra

Post by FatCobra »

I had a question about the ship types in all Raizing games, and was going to make a separate topic, but I think it's better to stick in here.

What's better to choose? A team of three different ships, or just one ship? And who to use for survival and scoring? Also, why a team if you choose one? I don't like the concept of changing ships when I loose a life, so I use single ship mode.

I know you can select either a Bomber Type, Option Type, or a Speed Type, if you press an alternate button when choosing a ship. Aside from the boost in that particular stat, what are the tradeoffs? Bomber types seem to have longer and more powerful bombs but reduced firepower, and Speed Types have weaker bombs, at least that's what I've noticed.
Shmups: It's all about blowing stuff up!
FatCobra

Post by FatCobra »

Can someone please answer my question? I'm confused about this shiptypes. For all I know, all pushing a different button does is change the color of your ship.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

When you reinforce a particular aspect, you intentionally weaken the rest of your ship.

Pressing Shot to select makes your main shot more powerful at the expense of Option strength.
Pressing Bomb makes your Options powerful, affecting Shot.
Pressing Option (usually the C button, used by the Garegga ships) makes both Shot and Options powerful at the expense of speed.
Pressing Start makes your ship stupidly fast, and weakens its overall firepower.

Works just like it does in Bakraid as well.

EDIT: Corrections.
Last edited by Icarus on Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
FatCobra

Post by FatCobra »

Icarus wrote:When you reinforce a particular aspect, you intentionally weaken the rest of your ship.

Pressing Shot to select makes your main shot more powerful at the expense of Option and Bomb strength.
Pressing Bomb makes your bomb powerful, affecting Shot and Options.
Pressing Option (usually the C button, used by the Garegga ships) makes your Options powerful at the expense of Shot and Bomb strength.
Pressing Start makes your ship stupidly fast, and weakens its overall firepower.

Works just like it does in Bakraid as well.
That's what I figured, thanks for clarifing it. I do notice the difference when I choose one type over another.

But isn't Shot type the default type? Wouldn't that make the ship rather balanced?
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

FatCobra wrote:But isn't Shot type the default type? Wouldn't that make the ship rather balanced?
Not really. This is Raizing remember. To select one type means you get a good deal on one thing and get handicapped on the rest.
FatCobra

Post by FatCobra »

Icarus wrote:
FatCobra wrote:But isn't Shot type the default type? Wouldn't that make the ship rather balanced?
Not really. This is Raizing remember. To select one type means you get a good deal on one thing and get handicapped on the rest.
I'm just saying because Shot Types have the default colors.

So what types do you use then? I guess it really depends on the ship. For some reason, I like using bomber types. I'm pretty sure that gimps my gameplay somehow.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

FatCobra wrote:I'm just saying because Shot Types have the default colors.

So what types do you use then? I guess it really depends on the ship. For some reason, I like using bomber types. I'm pretty sure that gimps my gameplay somehow.
That's largely dependant on what ship(s) I am selecting. My current setup involves Strawman (A), Gain (C) and Silver Sword (B) (in that order). Strawman's bomb is always very powerful so I pump up the Shot strength, Gain has piercing Options that get an extra boost in attack strength, and Silver Sword's Directional Napalm Weapon gets a little extra kick since it fires so quickly.

Plus, all three ships have different characteristics essential to unlocking both the secret ninja bosses Tsumujimaru and Hayatemaru.
FatCobra

Post by FatCobra »

Icarus wrote:
FatCobra wrote:I'm just saying because Shot Types have the default colors.

That's largely dependant on what ship(s) I am selecting. My current setup involves Strawman (A), Gain (C) and Silver Sword (B) (in that order). Strawman's bomb is always very powerful so I pump up the Shot strength, Gain has piercing Options that get an extra boost in attack strength, and Silver Sword's Directional Napalm Weapon gets a little extra kick since it fires so quickly.

Plus, all three ships have different characteristics essential to unlocking both the secret ninja bosses Tsumujimaru and Hayatemaru.
I can see why you would use a team. I'm not very good at staying alive long enough so that I can suciude a ship to switch to another. I don't like dying and having to change my tatics completely. I'm guessing it's bad to use single ship mode then? :lol:
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

FatCobra wrote:I can see why you would use a team. I'm not very good at staying alive long enough so that I can suciude a ship to switch to another. I don't like dying and having to change my tatics completely. I'm guessing it's bad to use single ship mode then? :lol:
Not really. Single-ship mode has its advantages depending on what ship you choose. Picking a single Mahou ship gives you the free run of all Mahou bosses, likewise Garegga bosses with Garegga ships. Picking a Batrider ship gives you the easiest run in the game, but also the lowest scoring totals.

Which ship is best, however, is up to your judgement. ^_-
FatCobra

Post by FatCobra »

Icarus wrote:
FatCobra wrote:I can see why you would use a team. I'm not very good at staying alive long enough so that I can suciude a ship to switch to another. I don't like dying and having to change my tatics completely. I'm guessing it's bad to use single ship mode then? :lol:
Not really. Single-ship mode has its advantages depending on what ship you choose. Picking a single Mahou ship gives you the free run of all Mahou bosses, likewise Garegga bosses with Garegga ships. Picking a Batrider ship gives you the easiest run in the game, but also the lowest scoring totals.

Which ship is best, however, is up to your judgement. ^_-
Well, I also like Strawman for the exact same reasons you do. Carpet's pretty nice to if you're good at positioning the witches, plus she medals pretty easily.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Question for you Cigs, DEL or anyone else:

Considering LAOS has 29mil+ on Advanced Course, what's the betting that there is a boss or two that can be "infinite" milked? Think Midi in Ibara. I'm still doubtful that a perfect scoring run (every Medal available and scoring target available) adds up to 29mil, therefore there has to be something that can be taken advantage of in a similar vein.

Any thoughts or ideas?
DEL

ADV

Post by DEL »

Icarus - Every Boss in Batrider times-out, so I haven't got a clue how 29mil+ can be achieved?!
The mog-rep replay is apparently 10mil, and is played with one ship, so extra bosses aren't triggered. I suppose with a full team, all bosses, perfect medal chain, tickling, then 20mil is possible.
But 29 :shock: :?:

You can't infinitely milk a Boss that times-out, so your guess is as good as mine.
DEL

JAP Arcades

Post by DEL »

Icarus - I just had a thought--> You could ask NTSC-J to go to the arcade, pick up a stool and plot off behind a Master Batrider Player. He's already mentioned players using a lot of tickling on Batrider runs...
Icarus

Re: ADV

Post by Icarus »

DEL wrote:Icarus - Every Boss in Batrider times-out, so I haven't got a clue how 29mil+ can be achieved?!
The mog-rep replay is apparently 10mil, and is played with one ship, so extra bosses aren't triggered. I suppose with a full team, all bosses, perfect medal chain, tickling, then 20mil is possible.
But 29 :shock: :?:

You can't infinitely milk a Boss that times-out, so your guess is as good as mine.
Well, no so much "infinitely" as "doing something to make milking easier". In Ibara, players use an aura flash on Midi's fourth form in a very specific place to destroy two turrets, nullifying her attack and allowing players to pick up about 3mil in tick points. Same goes for Garegga, where players neutraise specific turrets on Earth Crisis to stop the boss from attacking and allow tick points to be accumulated.

I'm thinking that perhaps there is a boss or two in Batrider that can be done in the same way - neutralise particular attacks and pick up lots of tick points without doing serious damage to the bosses.