GD: Armed Police Batrider

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Twiddle wrote:I was able to milk ~.7 million from a run from his trail grenades and missiles before he whipped out his timeout "walk across the bottom of the screen with the napalm firing" pattern. I'm sure you're aware of the arm 50k aura bonus at the end of the battle.
I've had Bashi2 spewing red bombs (the ones that rain down and explode a set distance in front of it) for at least three minutes until timeout before. I'm not entirely certain, but I think just shooting Bashi2 makes it cycle its patterns. I wasn't even shooting at it, just waiting for it to open its arms so I could do some damage, and it wouldn't even bother.
Twiddle wrote:Also, doesn't the first ninja appear AFTER the Highway stage?
Nope, Tsu appears at the start of the Highway, before the blue hovercraft (you get those airbikes first before Tsu appears). Hayate appears at the end of the tunnel before the Rivals (when the drones appear).

EDIT: Just tried the new strategy, and came out with a 5.8mil ALL on the first attempt. Dropped Medals about three times (damn, Carpet is slow), no Bashinet, no Tsu, no Hayate, no Sobut, had Blunt and Envy at the end. Thats nearly 2mil dropped. -_-;;

Interesting to note that I've managed to record the fight against Envy - No Miss, no bombs (had no bombs in any case ^_-). Thanks to Rob for the tip on dodging the yellow spiral lasers. If peeps are interested, I can encode and upload the replay.
thesuperkillerxxx

Post by thesuperkillerxxx »

Icarus wrote: Thanks to Rob for the tip on dodging the yellow spiral lasers.
Please Share!

What makes deviate toss out the bullet spam on the first pattern. you have the two sweeping lines of bullets, one in three's and one that is one. after that sometimes he throws a bunch of crap. Not a consistant bastard is he.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

thesuperkillerxxx wrote:
Icarus wrote: Thanks to Rob for the tip on dodging the yellow spiral lasers.
Please Share!
VVVVVVVV
Rob wrote:
Icarus wrote:Yup, those ones. I cannot judge the direction they move in until its too late, and the gap to get through is remarkably small. There's probably some easy way of getting past without bombing, but I haven't worked it out yet.
Hiding in the corner worked for me.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
thesuperkillerxxx wrote:What makes deviate toss out the bullet spam on the first pattern. you have the two sweeping lines of bullets, one in three's and one that is one. after that sometimes he throws a bunch of crap. Not a consistant bastard is he.
The red box in the middle of Deviate's body has lots of very small turrets. Destroy the red box quickly or it'll go nuts and spam the screen. The three way pattern is fired by the squareish turrets next to Deviate's large cannon.
DEL

Envy

Post by DEL »

Quote;
It worked for me too.......once!
Then the next time I tried it, I got sliced.

EDIT: It works most of the time. look at which side Envy is leaning to just before he starts this swirling attack, and immediately go to the other corner.
Last edited by DEL on Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
landshark

Re: Envy

Post by landshark »

DEL wrote:Quote;
It worked for me too.......once!
Then the next time I tried it, I got sliced.
As with the rest of the game, it's completely random. There's no such thing as a safe spot in this game.
SiKrAiKeN: While I don't think everyone here -is- a Ninja Turtle, I DO believe everyone here has the potential to be a Ninja Turtle. No doubt.
Rob

Post by Rob »

It's worked for me every time.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

I usually head to the corner furthest away from Envy, which normally works.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Yeah. I haven't played this game as much as you guys, so I may be wrong, but the pattern looks to have a specific length it extends out (in a circle). Keep Envy moving towards a side, move to the opposite corner.
thesuperkillerxxx

So what is a good score to leave the first level on Special Course?

I just busted 590,xxx but got absolutely spanked by doing it. ALL pieces destroyed, and it brought out a crazy fast fan that I had never seen nor thought possible. Didn't do to well after that.

Been trying this out on that special course also. Stawman's bomb will take out all cars, mailboxes, and get the two back missle launchers if timed properly. I move in a counterclockwise motion up the right side of the screen, then move to the center to get the 2 launchers. pulling back down in the right place will only open 1 safe, allowing proper milking after that.

Valid strategy or waste of a bomb on special course? What are the meaty bombing targets on the bosses, aside from the deviate turrets? anything else give sick amounts of points when BOMBED (not aura) that I really need to save the bomb for? I avoid using bombs simply for survival, and want maximum points for my bomb usage.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

I usually leave stage1 in Special Course with 450k, with regular play. I never bomb the cars, but I do Aura the boxes to the right of the screen. The fanwave appears once you destroy the central turret, and gets faster with every piece of the boss you destroy. Not a good idea to make it angry. ^_-

As for the rest of the bosses, regular tactics from Normal/Advanced apply.

You can probably use a bomb to destroy Boredom's four choppers as they leave the screen for an extra 120k, but its tricky to catch them all. I usually pop open one of Boredom's drone hatches on the second form to up the Medals and get some freebie points.

You can destroy Envy's three laser pods for 90k total with a bomb, but only try it once you've damaged Envy sufficiently.
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

I'm still trying to break 4 millions heh that's hard to do that(on my skill yes)
but don't worry my skill is higher now thanks to playing espgaluda :P heh i can score over 700k or higher on stage 1(normal course)
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Anyone know Strawman's hitbox? I swear it must be very long and go right to the tail end of his bike.

Also anyone know why sometimes those guys that circle around on level one sometime linger around after getting hit? I usually have no problem mowing them over with the tickler, but every once and awhile, it won't work as they linger around longer and kill me as I mow over them. :evil:
thesuperkillerxxx

it does stretch to th back of the sprite. I couldn't tell you how many times I dided from a bullet i "dodged". RAWR :evil:

I think it takes 2 or three "ticks" of aura damage to kill the flyers on stage one. Unlike the cars in the used car dealer that only take 1 tick
maxlords

Post by maxlords »

Just started playing this. Managed to 1CC a few stages but this game is TOUGH. I got to stage five and I was flushing credits. Blew 7 to beat the game with the Psychic Team. Anyone have any tips for a newb that's not trying to rack up the points? I can play pretty much any way as I have the Korean B board.

I noticed the hit boxes were REALLY large for the ships I was using...I kept thinking something would graze me and BAM! dead.
Frederik

Post by Frederik »

Well, as beginner tip I would advice to stick with ONE ship, and not a team at the beginning, since changing them after each death can be very irritating at first. The predefined teams suck anyways, the top players use a very special mix with the guest players ships.

While I have to say that you will miss a lot of the thrill this game has to offer by not playing for score, playing for survival at first might be good for getting a feeling for the game in general (I do that once in a while when I am sick of missing max medals AGAIN).

Good beginner ships are Maria, she has a very wide shots that cover all of the screen and a very long lasting bomb (not a very strong one though); she is one of the faster ships. Strawman is the one I would recommend the most, he has a very nice speed and nifty lock-on options. I also had very good runs with Miyamoto.

If you want a impression of the extra bosses, select a Garegga or Mahou ship and play the "special" (boss rush) mode.

Medalling and scenery bombing, as well as dispatching bosses piece by piece and tickling enemies are among the wide range of things you can look forward to. :wink:
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

A couple of fresh clips from my plays, demonstrating scoring techniques for two of the more lucrative bosses:

Player: Icarus //
- Black Heart2 with Bornnam, ~1.3mil
(XVID - 14.4MB)
- - NOTE: Without the bomb, an extra 300k or more could be gained. Technique works best with ships that have non-piercing Options.

- Bazzcok with Flying Baron, ~1mil (XVID - 18MB)
- - NOTE: Extremely difficult technique that drives rank through the roof, and needs refinement. An alternative is to use aura on the second half of the boss phase (or even both phases), keeping rank to a minimum. Only works well with ships that have non-homing Options. Scoring is considerably higher if you start with maximum Medals.
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

Icarus wrote: - Bazzcok with Flying Baron, ~1mil (XVID - 18MB)
- - NOTE: Extremely difficult technique that drives rank through the roof, and needs refinement. An alternative is to use aura on the second half of the boss phase (or even both phases), keeping rank to a minimum. Only works well with ships that have non-homing Options. Scoring is considerably higher if you start with maximum Medals.

Thats a lovely little safe spot there Icarus! Cheers for the vids.
99pence

Post by 99pence »

Any tips for dodging Envy's purple lasers? It seems impossible. Sometimes there are so many on the screen it is ridiculous.

This game, you think you've mastered one of the bosses and they spring another attack on you that you haven't seen before.
"When we were talking to one of the executives at the BBC. And he said, 'Now hold on, this man is so incompetent why wouldn't he be fired?' and I said 'Go and take a look around this building. Just go and knock on a few doors.'" - Ricky Gervais
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

Unless you're very experienced at envy it seems best to avoid it all together.
Icarus wrote:As for your stage order, if you are playing the rank control way like before (limiting Shot power and only getting Options), you'll most likely want to avoid Envy at the end, so sticking Airport in the middle may be a better idea than having it at the end (Special Option Powerups trigger the bosses of the 2nd and 4th stage, and Envy is tied to Airport, which means you can skip it).
I can't find a video at the moment of someone no missing envy right now, not even sure if I've seen one.

Del, Icarus, cigs and Plasmo can probably shed light on the subject if you are determined to tackle it.

EDIT: The strawman advance y.k. replay has a decent method against envy's attacks (except the final diagonal lasers which he bombs). Unfortunately I can't remember where I got this vid :oops:

I'm guessing it's one of the www.mog-rep.net inputs that Icarus converted for namako, the site seems to be down however.
99pence

Post by 99pence »

freddiebamboo wrote:Unless you're very experienced at envy it seems best to avoid it all together.
Icarus wrote:As for your stage order, if you are playing the rank control way like before (limiting Shot power and only getting Options), you'll most likely want to avoid Envy at the end, so sticking Airport in the middle may be a better idea than having it at the end (Special Option Powerups trigger the bosses of the 2nd and 4th stage, and Envy is tied to Airport, which means you can skip it).
I can't find a video at the moment of someone no missing envy right now, not even sure if I've seen one.

Del, Icarus, cigs and Plasmo can probably shed light on the subject if you are determined to tackle it.
Thanks very much.

"(Special Option Powerups trigger the bosses of the 2nd and 4th stage, and Envy is tied to Airport, which means you can skip it)"

I don't know exactly what that means.

That whole quote is from another thread isn't it. Unless I've missed it.
"When we were talking to one of the executives at the BBC. And he said, 'Now hold on, this man is so incompetent why wouldn't he be fired?' and I said 'Go and take a look around this building. Just go and knock on a few doors.'" - Ricky Gervais
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

The stage order decides what bosses you face at the highway.

Sky = Sobut
Airport = Envy
Sewer = Blunt

Your 2nd stage (sky) means you will get Sobut no matter what, but if you are using a batrider ship then you can trigger other bosses by getting the special power ups. The option one gives you the 2nd and 4th stage bosses (sobut and blunt here) while the shot one gives you 2nd and 3rd stage bosses at the end (sobut and envy for this order).

If you are collecting options all the time and ignoring shot power ups there is a chance you will get the special option power up and not the shot one.

The quote is from the hi score thread here:

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... &start=210
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Someone wanted an Envy No Miss?
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

Ask and you shall recieve :D

You missed out the annoying diagonal lasers though :wink:
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

freddiebamboo wrote:Ask and you shall recieve :D
That's because I don't destroy the three back laser pods (the ones that fire the really fast aimed lasers). I miss out on 90k in points, but it's worth it to get past without needing to bomb. ^_-
landshark

Post by landshark »

Icarus wrote:
freddiebamboo wrote:Ask and you shall recieve :D
That's because I don't destroy the three back laser pods (the ones that fire the really fast aimed lasers). I miss out on 90k in points, but it's worth it to get past without needing to bomb. ^_-
Damn - I didn't know that's what caused those. That's gotta be one of the worst attacks in shmups history. Totally random and so many of them going at you.

I also have issues dodging the spiraling yellow lasers.
SiKrAiKeN: While I don't think everyone here -is- a Ninja Turtle, I DO believe everyone here has the potential to be a Ninja Turtle. No doubt.
99pence

Post by 99pence »

Thanks very much fellas.
99pence

Post by 99pence »

On that video I see that not shooting those blue laser pods stops the purple lasers but it's impossible not to destroy those pods (and I'm using strawman). Also I've tried moving around the stage order but I just end up fighting all three bosses. What's a special power up as opposed to a normal power up? What the dickens is going on.
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

99pence wrote: Also I've tried moving around the stage order but I just end up fighting all three bosses. What's a special power up as opposed to a normal power up? What the dickens is going on.
Sorry for a late reply 99

All the standard batrider secrets are here:

http://www.world-of-arcades.net/R8zing/ ... ecrets.htm

EDIT: Actually, it seems its not there...
(the boss selection is expained better in the selection secrets bit though)

The special power up gives you max levels on your shot or option depending on which icon you pick up. Its something like miss 3 options (or shot) and then pick up one and you get full power and the bosses (you'll hear the announcer yell it when you get it). I can't remember the exact details at the mo...

It increases rank a lot (I think, DEL mentioned it in a thread IIRC) so you probably don't want it unless you need the extra points from another boss .

If you're getting all the bosses then you are picking up both shot and option specials. Its best on that stage selection to just not pick up any shot icons and you'll be ok.
99pence

Post by 99pence »

Awesome. Thanks very much.

I still can't help but shoot one of the blue laser pods with strawman but hopefully I can miss out envy for now.
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

I see in MAME history that one way to gain an extend is to miss 3 full bomb items. Now I know in Zenobia(sp) City there are those 2 trucks, which if you destroy the cab before it opens up for turrets can be accounted for a full stock each but I don't know where else you could possibly find another one.
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'