GD: Armed Police Batrider

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

Icarus wrote:
  • Stage 1 (City) - 1.1mil
  • Stage 2 (Sky High + Bashinet) - 1.0mil [total: 2.1mil]
  • Stage 3 (Sewer + Black Heart) - 1.8mil [total: 3.8mil]
  • Stage 4 (Airport + Gob-Robo) - 1.6mil [total: 5.4mil]
  • Stage 5a (Bashinet2) - 400k [total: 5.8mil]
  • Stage 5b (Tsumujimaru) - 400k [total: 6.2mil]
  • Stage 5c (Hayatemaru) - 400k [total: 6.6mil]
  • Stage 5 Main (Highway) - 600k [total: 7.2mil]
  • Rivals (Blunt, Sobut, Envy) - 1mil [total: 8.2mil]
Image Image
Had a great run just now-

St 1: 1.168 mill
St 2: 2.1 mill (milked the snot out of Boredom, killed 16 of the arms total)
St 3: 3.5 mill (3.8 will be really tough, although I didn't milk Black Heart and don't know how)

I also didn't die until Gob-Robo. I dropped my extends though. A planned death somewhere is needed in this situation because I was becoming really short on bombs.

Dropped my medals in St 4 somewhere, then screwed up Gob-Robo's arms badly, dying twice. Died final death here getting trapped in a corner with 4.5 million.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Updated the list of estimated scoring targets, with some new info and milking techniques discovered (changes highlighted in orange):
  • Stage 1 (City) - 1.1mil
  • Stage 2 (Sky High + Bashinet) - 1.1mil [total: 2.2mil]
  • Stage 3 (Sewer + Black Heart) - 1.8mil [total: 4.0mil]
  • Stage 4 (Airport + Gob-Robo) - 1.6mil [total: 5.6mil]
  • Stage 5a (Bashinet2) - 500k [total: 6.1mil]
  • Stage 5b (Tsumujimaru) - 500k [total: 6.6mil]
  • Stage 5c (Hayatemaru) - 500k [total: 7.1mil]
  • Stage 5 Main (Highway) - 600k [total: 7.7mil]
  • Rivals (Blunt, Sobut, Envy) - 1mil [total: 8.7mil]
This is definitely doable if you have decent boss tactics, and plan out suicides to maximise scoring. For example, some of my current (unlisted) strats:
  • The drones that appear in chains before the first missile rain in Sky High are worth about 300pts per if destroyed with Aura/Bomb, as opposed to the 100pts per if destroyed with Shot.
  • The large blue bombers in Sky High (the ones that unlock Bashinet), the large yellow plane and the large green plane before Boredom have turrets that open and fire only when you are not firing Shot. Destroying these turrets will give you a Medal each.
  • Strawman kills Boredom a lot faster than ships with non-homing Options, but has a much easier time milking both forms of Bashinet. In fact, you can actively milk the circular saws from Bashi's first form, since his Options at full power will lock onto and quickly destroy the saws. Staying to one side, leaving one attached weapon, and timing out the first form is very important here.
  • You can also catch the majority of the large missiles on Bashi's second form with Strawman (or a ship with wide Shot) easily as well, and it's worth it for 10,000pts per six missiles destroyed.
  • Depending on how I tackle Sky High, if I come into Sewer (my third stage) with Strawman still, then I try and keep him all the way through the stage, using Aura on selected large laser tanks and turret trucks throughout the stage (30,000pts per). If I still have Strawman, then I play to milk Deviate up until all of the main turret is destroyed - and Deviate starts firing the threeway shot pattern from the main turret - and only then do I suicide to switch to Gain. Then I use a full bomb to destroy all six of the turret ports for 50,000pts per.
  • All the glass windows in the early part of the Airport stage are worth 1,000pts each time you crack/destroy them with Aura/Bomb.
  • As noted before, you need to destroy one of the turrets that sit next to Bazzcok's wings to open that wing. However, once the wing door is open and drones are spawning, you must take care not to destroy the wing door or else a wide spread shot will be fired from that wing. Milking the wing is easy, if you fire only in bursts to minimise damage.
I'll probably end up compiling all these little snippets into one big post further down the line, once I start to figure out some of the more difficult tricks. The only things that still bother me are the lack of bombs (not enough fragments, or some large bomb icons that we don't know of), lack of Medals, and scoring sources that need some dangerous play to achieve.
Last edited by Icarus on Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

pardon the complete uselessness of the post, but god i love raizing.
I have no sig whatsoever.
Kiel

Post by Kiel »

This stuff has helped me get back on my high score list so I am thankful for the tips.
Tar-Palantir

Post by Tar-Palantir »

I've just read through this the first time and all I can say is: :shock:
There goes my Vasara 2 campaign.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Just passed 1.2mil in stage 1 for the first time this afternoon, and beat Gob-Robo with nearly 5.4mil afterwards (stupid death while using Gain stopped me from fighting Bashinet2 and Tsumujimaru):

Image << UPDATED
Image << UPDATED

I think for my current stage strategies (Sky High, Sewer, Airport) that the estimated score targets in my last post are pretty much bang-on. Also got a few more bits and pieces for you (including a few for Advanced Mode):
  • The armor that Bashinet drops when it shifts to it's second form (the two pointy front bits) are worth a total of 100k when bombed - 50,000pts each piece.
  • When Bashinet2 is destroyed, and the main section does a runner, dropping a piece of armor on the screen, destroy this armor with Aura or Bomb and get 50,000pts.
  • Both of Black Heart's wings are worth 50,000pts each when they are fully destroyed. Be careful, as destroying a wing will make the main core angrier, firing a spreadshot at you every second. Destroy both wings and Black Heart will be really pissed off ^_-
  • You can use all the same tricks for Batrider's Black Heart2 as you can on it's Garegga version. Mmmmm... bomb milking trick...
  • Glow Squid's second form will fire a large group of homing missiles at you as part of it's repeating attack pattern. These missiles can be destroyed to generate Medals, and each missile is worth 1,000pts when destroyed with Aura/Bomb (as opposed to the 300pts when destroyed with Shot).
  • During part of Grubby's attack pattern, it'll continually spawn 16 small arms with little turrets on the end (8 arms each side). Each arm is worth 10,000pts when destroyed with Shot ^_- (A little tip: use a non-homing piercing Option)
  • Discharge has large laser swords as part of it's many attack patterns. These swords can be destroyed, and are worth 10,000pts each.
  • Discharge also sprays small red destroyable bubbles, occasionally. They are worth 1,000pts when Bombed, as opposed to 300pts when Shot.
Tar-Palantir

Post by Tar-Palantir »

Icarus-you said you 1-lifed level I with Strawman. How did you manage his options (when they fire after you fire after having picked up all the banknotes from one of the safes and blown up all the missiles Confrict fires at you) so that they didn't blow up the second safe leaving the first arm undestroyed?
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Tar-Palantir wrote:Icarus-you said you 1-lifed level I with Strawman. How did you manage his options (when they fire after you fire after having picked up all the banknotes from one of the safes and blown up all the missiles Confrict fires at you) so that they didn't blow up the second safe leaving the first arm undestroyed?
The lock-on range of Strawman's Options is determined by how powered up they are - the higher their power level, the wider their lock-on range. I purposely keep them at their lowest level to force them to lock-on only to what they are directly in front of. If at any point they lock-on to something else, like the main weakpoint or the other safe for example, I stop firing to break the lock-on.

You should also know that Strawman's Options will fire straight ahead when used as part of a charge attack, only locking onto things that they connect with. You can purposely "drop" your Options out of the way and attack only with Shot this way - I do this on the turret bank at Airport (the one which needs to be destroyed to unlock Gob-Robo), and against Boredom when milking the regenerating turret arms for examples - and you can use this trick to destroy one of Conflict's arms at a time.

EDIT: This tends to work 90% of the time. The main problem you'll have with Strawman is the homing missiles, as they will mess with the lock-on targeting of Strawman's Options. The only thing you can do to counteract it is either to repeatedly cancel the lock-on by tapping Shot instead of holding it, or to stop firing and let the missiles hit the Aura.
Tar-Palantir

Post by Tar-Palantir »

Tapping it is then. What about the more extreme step of not having options at all? I have also tried using Golden as an almost adequate replacement for Strawman-the only trouble is that his bomb lasts for a shorter time. Otherwise, I try suicide at a convenient point to use Car-Pet (my favourite character) for the boss. Her bomb is useful to take out Confrict's missile launcher.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Tar-Palantir wrote:Tapping it is then. What about the more extreme step of not having options at all?
That can work as well, but it s a bit harder to destroy stuff quickly. I tend to go no-Option if I have switched to Gain (or another ship with piercing Options) as it seems like you lose points for destroying things with piercing Options (like you do in Garegga).

If you go without Options then you probably could power up your Shot a bit more to give you better Shot strength.
Tar-Palantir wrote:I have also tried using Golden as an almost adequate replacement for Strawman-the only trouble is that his bomb lasts for a shorter time. Otherwise, I try suicide at a convenient point to use Car-Pet (my favourite character) for the boss. Her bomb is useful to take out Confrict's missile launcher.
I haven't found a regular Batrider character that has the kind of bomb similar to Strawman's - wide ranged, rapid, powerful, lasts ages even with a few bomb fragments - so I tend to just use him, and try to last a few stages.

I also completely ignore the back missile launchers now, as they are far too difficult to destroy without a piercing Option or a bomb. I can average 1.1mil in stage 1 without them, occasionally breaking 1.2mil if the flame bullet turrets activate. I don't rely on them for scoring though, since it seems completely random whether or not the turrets you want to activate will actually start firing (or that blasted spreadshot does instead).
thesuperkillerxxx

Post by thesuperkillerxxx »

I would pay cash for some replays, Icarus, hint hint.......

I know i know, I just want to see how you are attacking stage 2 for medals.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

thesuperkillerxxx wrote:I would pay cash for some replays, Icarus, hint hint.......
I know i know, I just want to see how you are attacking stage 2 for medals.
What do I look like? A replay factory?

^_-

(NOTE: These replays aren't my best plays, but they should demonstrate some of my stage strategies. Thanks to the guys at ikaruga.co.uk for helping me set up hosting for my ST guide replays!)
  • Player: Icarus // Stage 1 (City), 1.19mil pointgain (DIVX - 19MB)
    This score could have been over 1.2mil, but I think I missed one of the round turrets on the side of Conflict's main weakpoint. Plus I was 30k short of average score before Conflict (740k is a good target for current strategies).
  • Player: Icarus // Stage 2 (Sky High), 1mil pointgain (DIVX - 25MB)
    Somewhat decent scoring in this run. It's a lot harder to milk Boredom's arms with Strawman, but safety first in this case.
  • Player: Icarus // Stage 3 (Sewer), 1.6mil pointgain (DIVX - 22MB)
    I don't usually suicide if I am using Silver Sword in this stage, but for this demonstration I suicided to Strawman so I could demonstrate using a bomb against Deviate's six turret ports for 50k per turret port.
  • Player: Icarus // Sewer Append - Black Heart Demonstration (DIVX - 15MB)
    An extra addition to the Sewer stage, this demonstration details the best method for destroying Black Heart. Weaken both wings before the third form, then destroy both simultaneously for maximum points.
    Oh yeah, there's minor sound desync in this vid, which fixes itself towards the end. -_-;;
  • Player: Icarus // Stage 4 (Airport), 1.5mil pointgain (DIVX - 34MB)
    Even though I missed on large bomb icon at the start, and died twice in really stupid places, I managed to execute most of my stage strategies for score. Still missing a few Medal sources, and one of Gob-Robo's arms.
Last edited by Icarus on Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Anyone got any tips on how to beat Tsumujimaru? The game isn't a problem up to the Highway stage, but when Tsu turns up, the credit ends quite abruptly. -_-;;

I know how to deal with the attack when he spins on the spot and throws kunai all over the screen (start in the bottom left corner, then tap dodge towards the bottom right).

But the rest of the attacks like the mines that explode into bullets, the jumping shuriken attack and that really fucking annoying flame column attack I can't work out how to deal with.

Help!
DEL

Tsu

Post by DEL »

Icarus - At first I had problems with Tsu, but I figured the spin on the spot kunai attack (tapping from the corner). To be honest, I've been arriving there with a couple of bombs remaining, so I haven't had to worry with a lot of other dodging. I figure to keep on the move at all times is the best policy.

Hayate has proved to be easy, just stay dead centre for the maga flame attacks and hover around the middle for the others (making sure that nothing coming from him survives more than half a second).

Regs, DEL
DEL

Bashinet 2

Post by DEL »

Now Bashinet 2 is giving me hell with that green disc/exploding homing bomb pattern. I know Icarus mentioned this dreaded attack pattern earlier :? . Is there a way not to trigger this form of attack? Or - what is the best way of dealing with it? Is it best to race from side to side and up-screen, drawing the homing bomb pattern upwards??
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

DEL wrote:Now Bashinet 2 is giving me hell with that green disc/exploding homing bomb pattern.
Green Discs:
- Two green discs go out wide when fired, then sweep in to scissor towards your location. The best way I've found with dealing with them is to lure them to aim at a location, then move up the screen to dodge them. It's easier to avoid the green discs if Bashi2 has both arms firing them.

Homing Mines:
- I love these, as they're so good to score from. But they are a complete pain in the arse when mixed with other attack patterns. They tend to move to a position, stop, then charge straight at you, leaving a blue trail that can kill you. Try to destroy the mine before it charges at you.

The problem is that Bashi2 tends to mix up these patterns - sometimes it has one arm throwing mines and another throwing discs, sometimes it has two arms throwing discs etc etc - so your only hope is to try and quickly destroy each arm before they have a chance to flood the screen. The arms with the claws attached to Bashi2's back fire the green discs, Bashi2's regular arms throw homing mines.

There are other patterns as well:

Raining Plasma:
- Bashi2 will occasionally stop on the spot, and launch loads of red bombs that rain down the screen. These will always drop to a fixed distance in front of Bashi2, so you can sit right in front of Bashi2, rooted to the base of the screen, and deal damage. Just as long as Bashi2 isn't more than halfway down the screen ^_-

Missiles/Aimed Bullet Stream:
- A nice little pattern. Bashi2 will fire a continuous stream of regular yellow bullets at you, and launch lots of slow moving homing missilesfrom it's back. The bullet stream is easy to dodge, as there are big gaps in the pattern, and you can pick up lots of free items and Medals from the missiles.

Laser Sweep:
- Occasionally Bashi2 will stop on the spot, open it's arms, and fire lasers in a sweeping motion. Try to find a nice gap in the pattern and stay there, attacking Bashi2 as you go. Probably the best pattern to get, as it gives you lots of time to bash Bashi2 ^_-

Support Fighters:
- Those little flying cloaked things drop Medals when destroyed, but also appear to attach new weapons to Bashi2. They like to kamikaze as well, so beware. Destroy them quickly.
Neon

Re: GD: Armed Police Batrider

Post by Neon »

Great thread! Thanks for the replays.
AWJ wrote:
cigsthecat wrote:Also- here's a little tip: When you first power on your PCB the rank will be pretty bad. For some reason if you wait about 30 min before playing it'll settle back down to normal, and stay there. I'm playing Jp version B, I haven't tried this on any other format. You'll be able to tell right away by the speed medals are dropping at.
The initial rank at the start of a game depends, essentially, on how busy the machine is. Every time a player plays a game, the initial rank increases a little. Every time the entire attract sequence cycles, the initial rank decreases a little.

When the machine is first powered up, the initial rank/"busy-ness" variable is set to its maximum value. This is to prevent players from circumventing the system by pressing the reset switch before starting their game. Apparently, savvy players figured out how to do this pretty quickly in Battle Garegga (which has a similar system, only the initial rank starts out at its minimum value at power up) and operators didn't like it because it wasted so much time (Garegga and Batrider have a pretty lengthy POST sequence)
This is depressing...for best runs I'm going to have to leave the PCB on for 30 minutes first?
DEL

Post by DEL »

Many Thanks for the info Icarus!
Valgar

Post by Valgar »

I have been toying around here. My team is Gain (B) / Maria (C) / Flying Baron (A)

Maybe switch to Gain (C) / Maria (B)

I want to try and use GAIN first. You talked earlier about trying to get the medals way up. I've gotten up to the second set of "red" medals in stage 1 with GAIN before, and can get about 800-900k points after stage 1.

Then suicide him in Stage 2 so I have more bomb for the end, but getting the extend just in time before the boss so I fight bashinet.

I am playing shitty MAME btw and there is input lag and I should really just stop playing right now.

Anyway, then I am thinking Airport...suicide to flying baron (get extend and Maria back).

Sewer....suicide Gain, get extend and Flying Baron back to fight secret boss.
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.
COWBOY-RJJ
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Good to see you're getting into Batrider, Valgar ^_^

If you are aiming to go for a high score, then it is very important to plan both your stage order and your ship order to maximise those potential pointgains. Rank is also determined by stage order, so picking the right order will help you score efficiently and stay alive.

I'm not sure if you can get your Medals up high enough from stage1. The best I've had is around 900pt Medals, and I was experimenting with Car-Pet's doublesize bomb when I got it. It is important to pick a wide-area bomb ship if you want a high score from stage1 though, as you can attack more cars and glass panels with the bombs.

(One tip for MAME, leave the emulation running through the attract sequences for a while, then save a state. This'll save the state at its lowest rank ^_-)
Valgar

Post by Valgar »

It is too hard to play on MAME seriously, anyway I am still working on Ketsui... I want to play Ibara when it comes out with everyone though ( I will get the PCB )
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.
COWBOY-RJJ
stratos

Post by stratos »

This is another great Raizing masterpiece...

So, I'd like to know wich are the conditions to fullfill to fight all the secret bosses and how go in the character test in MAME to discover the single values in points of every single target.

But I'm not here only to ask!! I can give you a tip I find myself for first stage strategy. So, when you find subway train and bomb it, you bomb also the two big ships with rotors on the wings; you have probably noticed that they have six turrets that release medals. When I realized that thing, I immediately thought that I coul'd use the same trick many Garegga pros do against the Gunblimp, exploiting the bomb-given invincibility. So, launch the bomb and immediately go on the top of the first ship to take the medals as they appear: it is REALLY tricky, but once I got to raise up my medal value with the first ship to third level (and I didn't manage yet to do the Blimp trick in Garegga!).

Then, you can catch the medals trapped between the glass pavements two by two as they appear to raise their value.

If you let Conflict sweep away the police cars you obtain one medal per car, so you coul'd probably do some tricky moves to catch one of them as it appers so the others will be more worthy, but you probably gain more points by bombing them, have yet to figure out...

Finally, taking out Conflict missile launchers with Garegga ships is piece of cake: destroy at least one arm and, when missile start to attack you, charge your shot, go to the non-arm side on top of the screen, point at the launchers with the trace options, release your charge shot and go to the bottom of the screen. I do this with my favourite Garegga ship (in Batrider), the Flying Baron, but it shoul'd be easy to obtain with the others.

@Icarus: hi bro, how are you? How your uni studies are going? I'd like to say you one big thing: let this thread survive, and Garegga one too!!! We are short in time, since in a few days many shmuppers aronud here will start to play Ibara on the ps2 and you will be submerged of help requests about it!!!! ;)

Ah, if you can, coul'd you repost the link of your Batrider videos on this thread, since they are not clickable and I can't save them on the hard disk instead of watching them directly on my player?

Thanks, see you soon, riders!
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Videos relinked. There's a pretty good secrets list written by Matt, here. The Gunblimp trick is tricky to do, and is only realy good for specific types of ships, but if it can be done regularly, then it is of great use.
stratos

Post by stratos »

Thanks. And how to see the scores for the single targets in MAME?
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

In MAME, press and hold F2 after booting up the game to access Service Mode (you might have to enable a dipswitch first). From there, enter Character Test.
Fighter17
Banned User

Post by Fighter17 »

The only thing that sucks is that in order to play the other UnBatrider people, you must random select them. :(

I don't like it that much. :(
ptoing

Post by ptoing »

Fighter17 wrote:The only thing that sucks is that in order to play the other UnBatrider people, you must random select them. :(

huh? You can just enable Guest players in the dipswitches.
Fighter17
Banned User

Post by Fighter17 »

ptoing wrote:
Fighter17 wrote:The only thing that sucks is that in order to play the other UnBatrider people, you must random select them. :(

huh? You can just enable Guest players in the dipswitches.
Oh yeah thanks. :oops:
Macaw

Post by Macaw »

So has anyone figured out how to get the 20+ million scores yet? Surely it must be some sort of trick or somthing.
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

I watched a guy the other day get in the C range on Advanced Course, he pulled off all kinds of tricks. He seemed to use Strawman the most, with Carpet and someone else I can't remember. He used the aura a lot and just sat there tickling the bosses. Sometimes he would graze bullets with the aura for more points, plus he knew where all the big 10k medal spots were.