Opinions on Saturn USB pad.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Damocles

Opinions on Saturn USB pad.

Post by Damocles »

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-1i- ... 0-cj4.html

I've heard some people recommend it and, considering that most people love the Saturn pad, I am considering replacing my Sidewinder USB pad because I've worn it out. I have never used a Saturn pad, so any thoughts would be wonderful.
Tychom

Post by Tychom »

I've two of the USB ones (the first set of all-white ones) and two of the first set of PS2 ones (the black ones - note the PS2 ones are cheaper at most importers).
I basically think they're pretty much ace. I find the later PS2 ones to have a more responsive d-pad than the initial USB releases and I don't know if this is due to a design revision or what - there was certainly talk on a few forums about the USB d-pads not being up to the same standard as the actual Saturn pads when they were released for this very reason. I'd assume everything is a-ok now though.
Would I reccommend them? whole heartedly, certainly over any standard PC gamepad, the buttons and d-pad are extremely responsive so it's really hard to put a foot wrong.
Texhnolyze

Post by Texhnolyze »

I agree with Tychom.

I have two PC USB pads (white and black) and one PS2 (black) pad. The PS2 pad is excellent. I've had to put my HORI RAP and SE sticks away in storage (moving soon) and I've been using the PS2 pad with all my shooters. I don't have any complaints. The PS2 pad is ultra-responsive and is almost as good as my sticks.

The PC USB pads are very responsive. I might give a slight edge to the real Saturn pads (I own 2) but unless you compare them side-by-side, it's very difficult to tell.
Jedah Doma

Post by Jedah Doma »

I would also recommend you check out the USB converters called the "Magic Box" or "Joy Box". They convert your Dreamcast, PS1/PS2, and Saturn controllers for use on your computer. While the option of having a stand alone Satrun USB pad is nice, you can still have the controllers for your systems, but also use them on your computer.

The other nice thing is that it's the actual Saturn pad you're playing on. I imagine the Saturn USB pads are pretty good, and close to the feel and playability of an actual Saturnn pad, but to have the real thing is very nice. Check it out at Lik Sang.

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?catego ... s_id=1939&

Great people I've had deals with:
superhitachi4, KyleRXZero, Canadianzombie, Wanderer, and Strider77.
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

Ok...I recieved my USB pad today. It's a great pad. Seems to have good precision, at least in Battle Garegga and Raiden Fighters Jet in Mame....two games which are notoriously floaty for my Sidewinder. The only problem I'm having, and which I'll probably get over, is the fact that it is tiny. I suppose it's because I never even held an original Saturn pad, but I was expecting something slightly larger. ...and I have large hands. It's alright though. Not the end of the world.