What are you currently listening to?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Marc

Re: What are you currently listening to?

Post by Marc »

Verve - A Storm In Heaven. A friend turned me on to this one, I'd only ever heard their shit pop stuff and had no idea they'd released something like this previously. Psych/shoegaze/prog with layer after layer of feedback and effects. Its a proper headphone album.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
NYN

and you're my favorite flavour

Post by NYN »

Air-The Virgin Suicides movie score. Infatuated, I cannot keep it out of rotation. Dead Bodies is haunting!
WhatImageeven mean, though?!
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

That's a blast from the past. I remember when Moon Safari was making a big splash. Air was definitely was on heavy rotation in our house ~2003. I'll have to dust off the CD again
NYN

high on AIR

Post by NYN »

Right on. I got stuck with Compact Disks as sound medium. Vinyl was out-dated when I picked up music, and I seem to distrust digital with its vastness.

Looking up Moon Safari now. O f course I know of Sexy Boy/Girl, though not much else. What about the other albums? Worth listening to?
Lord British

Post by Lord British »

I bought Mystic Warriors tonight and this track was good enough to make me search for it. Early 90s Konami is unbeatable.

https://youtu.be/eYgHOoMV-gQ?si=KyxWGlsVBokS2kF0
vol.2

Re: high on AIR

Post by vol.2 »

NYN wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:05 pmI seem to distrust digital with its vastness.
Yeah, same. Having grown up before digital music, I find the gradual discovery of music to be more rewarding than staring into the never-ending void of spotify. I do like listening to internet radio stations though; it's a good way to be introduced to new stuff (new to me) that kind of mimics the way I used to do so. I really like NTS Radio and it's various shows because they give you a lot of worldwide personalities and genres, but it's focused enough to have some grounding.

What about the other albums? Worth listening to?
I think they are all pretty decent, but not amazing, amazing like Moon Safari is. I think it's kind of a case of them realizing their formula and sticking to it, but it never quite felt as fresh as it did the very first time. I think since maybe you heard the Virgin Suicides soundtrack in it's entirety first, that you probably side-stepped that effect somewhat. Also it's like their second album, so it still has some of the magic of their beginnings. If I had to suggest one more of them, it would probably be Talkie Walkie from 2004; that one is a little more inspired than the rest of their post Moon Safari output. Not that anything they did is "bad," but I guess I feel like I don't really need like 10 Air albums that sound vaguely similar
Lord British

Post by Lord British »

vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

That's a good one! Of the Cluster stuff, I actually like the collaboration they did with Brian Eno the best.

Lord British

Post by Lord British »

vol.2 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:20 pm That's a good one! Of the Cluster stuff, I actually like the collaboration they did with Brian Eno the best.

Y'know i never heard this, thx
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

I've had Astronoid in my Bandcamp wishlist forever (it's at the very bottom). Is that one of theirs, or a different band?

e: oops, Astronoid is the band, Air is the album title. Wrong band, sorry.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

deleted
Last edited by Lemnear on Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiMaDe

Post by RiMaDe »

Now I'm listening to https://www.youtube.com/@gestaltrockhaha
Strange, isn't it?
But I like it!
Lord British

Post by Lord British »

Going down an RKL (Rich Kids on LSD) wormhole, probably the most insane rhythm section I've ever seen or heard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjxqM5lPUxo
Lander

Post by Lander »

Virtuosic DRIVIN' CHOONS courtesy of the Dixie Dregs.
Fat 'murican humbuckers, stadium-size drums, and a degree or two in music theory with honours for technical aptitude!

Edit: Completely unrelated, but I'm dying over here.
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

Wouldn't say I was a FAN (I don't own a t-shirt), but I have a 2hr 35min long Metallica playlist comprising somewhere in the region of 1-4 tracks from each of their albums with the exception of St Anger and Load, of which there are none. Says quite a lot about their career that a casual fan can compile a 'set list' of subjective highlights of that length from cherry picking tunes from such an extensive catalogue and still skip 2 whole albums.
For balance there are only 3 albums I can listen to in their entirety - Radiohead's The Bends/OK Computer/In Rainbows and I've never really bought into the irrational tribal nature of fandom. I've always sort of had a DJ brain, I love a lot of great music across all genres and don't 'identify' with one.
I always thought the guys who aped a band or singer's 'look' were kind of peculiar. In my class at school there were 2 Robert Smiths, for example.
NYN

the orange album

Post by NYN »

Bowie - Low. Funny shapes. The A side with rock that feels a little short in duration, giving room for the longer ambient of B side. It's a sweet flip, and same with Hendrix I sometimes wonder what would have been if the vinyl medium wasn't so limited and certain artist had more space to really breath. Not to take away from Low. It's just as fine as this.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

New Master. Speckman must be 60-odd now - good on him!

https://youtu.be/_S_EwVCGoLQ?si=FNCszDMG9s_VKyfI
Lord British

Post by Lord British »

Klatrymadon wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:26 am New Master. Speckman must be 60-odd now - good on him!

https://youtu.be/_S_EwVCGoLQ?si=FNCszDMG9s_VKyfI
Ha. I'm wearing my Death Strike shirt as I type this.
RGC

Re: Bowie

Post by RGC »

NYN wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:49 am Bowie - Low.
I like to picture David playing Ordyne while he sings What in the World.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Just for fun I dug out Orange Juice. If you like 80's Scottish jangle pop with post-punk accents it's been there waiting for you to discover. Edwyn Collins, the lead singer is better known for his 90s output, mainly "A Girl Like You," which was a huge international hit.

Lord British

Post by Lord British »

I'm not a good singer but somehow I can karaoke Edwyn Collins pretty comfortably.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Lord British wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:57 pm I'm not a good singer but somehow I can karaoke Edwyn Collins pretty comfortably.
:lol:

That's a really good idea; I never thought about doing OJ at karaoke. There's an absolute ton of great karaoke places in Baltimore and I try to go once a week or so.
Lord British

Post by Lord British »

vol.2 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:11 am
Lord British wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:57 pm I'm not a good singer but somehow I can karaoke Edwyn Collins pretty comfortably.
:lol:

That's a really good idea; I never thought about doing OJ at karaoke. There's an absolute ton of great karaoke places in Baltimore and I try to go once a week or so.
Yeah the place way back when had a really British focused list of songs so I did Rip It Up and A Girl Like You every now and then.

Gorgeous George was a decent album. Favorite song was "I've Got it Bad".

The pre-Rip It Up era of OJ is solid, the Falling and Laughing era. The best Scots of the time were Josef K, check that out if you haven't heard.
.https://youtu.be/FtK5enfl7GE?si=VQf_IhN-mS-A7Qu1