Raiden Fighters 1,2,Jet +Viper Phase 1 now playable in Mame!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
landshark

Post by landshark »

I look forward to the day when there is music with it too. Even without music, the game is great fun.

And the amount of different ships just adds to it as they all have different weapon styles.

I look forward to an updated hiscore.dat that saves scores as well.
Strychnine

Post by Strychnine »

landshark wrote:I look forward to the day when there is music with it too. Even without music, the game is great fun.

And the amount of different ships just adds to it as they all have different weapon styles.

I look forward to an updated hiscore.dat that saves scores as well.
My secret trick is to cue up the level's BGM in winamp and loop it :D Almost as good!
The white clouds floating on the great blue sky
And the boiling red blood shed in fierce gaming
Those who give up halfway through
Their battered bodies will never forget!

Segata Sanshiro, Segata Sanshiro! Sega Saturn... shiro!
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

If there's one thing that distinguishes the Raiden Fighters games from others, it's the huge bosses that you dismantle bit by bit. The train in particular is a favorite of mine. I haven't played RFJ enough in the arcades to know what it's got for bosses though, presumably more of the same.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

You know for all the people so excited about this I don't see too many scores popping up in the score thread.
Neon

Post by Neon »

people here don't PLAY games, silly! Just collect. The system they come out on is more important than the other details, after all.
Guardians Knight

Post by Guardians Knight »

^^^ sarcasm is the lowest form of wit :-)

i spent several hours with the game today, i think i might prefer DX but then i've been playing DX and Project for around 10 years, so i guess i need to give it a bit more time
roushimsx

Post by roushimsx »

cigsthecat wrote:You know for all the people so excited about this I don't see too many scores popping up in the score thread.
I wish i had more time to play it :(
As it is, I'm only able to sneak in a little bit of gametime early in the morning or late at night :(
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

Participation in hi-score threads is not compulsory. (Players shouldn't be made to feel bad for not posting scores to a topic.) Please let folks play the game in peace at their own pace, if they want to. Not everyone is in a rush to master every new game right away. If some choose to play through it slowly over a period of many years then so be it...
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

Yes, yes- everyone is special, we can't judge, blah blah blah. If you truly do like a game I don't see why you wouldn't want to get better at it and learn something about it.

On another note, I don't like how the mods are feeling free to snip away at user's posts constantly as of late. Hardly any of what was cut deserved it- differences of opinion are going to happen, it's OK, the world will still turn.
Thunder Force

Post by Thunder Force »

cigsthecat wrote:If you truly do like a game I don't see why you wouldn't want to get better at it and learn something about it.
Answer to that is different for everyone. Maybe folks are being distracted by liking too many shmups at once, or family matters, etc. Maybe people are just shy, or only like to play for stage progression and ignore learning the scoring techniques... point being, everyone has their own way to play.
cigsthecat wrote:On another note, I don't like how the mods are feeling free to snip away at user's posts constantly as of late. Hardly any of what was cut deserved it- differences of opinion are going to happen, it's OK, the world will still turn.
As always, any specific appeals about overmoderating or undermoderating should be raised via Private Message (PM) to the mod/admin team collectively, who will discuss the issue and respond back to you.
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

I don't think it requires a drawn out private discussion to say that I don't like your style. It's as simple as that.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Thunder Force wrote:Not everyone is in a rush to master every new game right away. If some choose to play through it slowly over a period of many years then so be it...
I play games slowly, but I still post some scores. It just keeps the threads more lively and entertaining, even if they're not the best. It's not so fun to participate in a thread where there's only 2 scores. My poor GW2 thread, for instance.
Neon

Post by Neon »

I haven't posted in the highscore thread because I didn't like the game much...I'll wait till it's fully emulated, but I'd rather concentrate on strikers 2 right now (should have a decent one for that thread pretty soon, heh heh :) )

Yeah, forum's pretty overmoderated right now. I could have said it better/more politely, but damn. And an 'adult content' warning in that thread full of middle-school-level penis jokes?
Thunder Force

Post by Thunder Force »

Rob wrote:I play games slowly, but I still post some scores. It just keeps the threads more lively and entertaining, even if they're not the best. It's not so fun to participate in a thread where there's only 2 scores. My poor GW2 thread, for instance.
That's true... Actually newcomers may be more inclined to join the hi-scores threads when the situation is explained/suggested to them like that, than with cigsthecat's abrasive approach...

"come and have some fun" vs. "rise to the challenge you loafers!!!" :)
Strychnine

Post by Strychnine »

I'm going to have to go with Cigs on this one...he didn't attack anyone, he merely stated he didn't see any posts in the highscore boards. If someone is so intimidated. and feels pushed into posting highscores from a post like that....well the real world will be an awfully rude awakening for them. People will enjoy the game at their own pace REGARDLESS.
The white clouds floating on the great blue sky
And the boiling red blood shed in fierce gaming
Those who give up halfway through
Their battered bodies will never forget!

Segata Sanshiro, Segata Sanshiro! Sega Saturn... shiro!
zakk

Post by zakk »

"abrasive."

L O L
Thunder Force

Post by Thunder Force »

Maybe some of the people not posting scores can explain why, so we don't have to guess the reasons behind it. Then maybe those reasons can be addressed (or not, if they are out of our control).

Personally my own reason is that the handful of games I might be interested in playing for score don't have tables posted for them. I've been assuming nobody else is interested in playing them much anymore. That's why I haven't started a Twin Cobra or Tempest X3 high score table on this new forum for example (not to mention the latter is probably not even considered a valid shmup by some).

I think I had a Tempest X3 high score table on the old site a long time ago, but my score sat alone on the board so I kind of gave up on that idea...
zakk

Post by zakk »

See, I'll even contribute in a real way to this discussion too :)

I used to not post scores. I've gotten over that (mostly). My reason, which seems to be a reason shared by others I've talked to, really comes down to "indimidation"/ego. Some don't want to post a score that represents their current _best effort_ and be in last place. So they hold off until they can at least be better than one or two people, so they don't feel quite as bad. Problem is if the board is slightly active, and the person is playing at a leisurely pace, they lose the 'catchup' game.

I still do this to some degree, but it is more of a personal goal thing. I set some goal in a game, a completely arbitrary one; and just won't post a score until I hit it. For Ikaruga it was essentially a 1CC (although I can't remember if I posted a score when I broke 10M..). I just started 'seriously' playing Gradius V, and for some reason I've decided my goal is a first loop clear. I should probably get over that and just post a score huh?

Really the true honest answer here is the scoreboards themselves cause people to not post scores, as odd as it sounds. We have some skilled players here, and some people don't like to enter a competition where they're outclassed. I remember when I first looked at the old DDP scoreboard, that put me off from posting a score for a while. Silly yes, but it happens.
hikarutilmitt

Post by hikarutilmitt »

Are there any differences between 2000 and regular RF2 other than the music? I could swear that the one at the arcade we play, the normal version, it's a bit harder. I got way too far in the ROM than I probably should have.
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

Thunder Force wrote: "rise to the challenge you loafers!!!" :)
I think it's pretty obvious to most that this is clearly a long ways from what I said and meant. Please don't put words in my mouth.
Guardians Knight

Post by Guardians Knight »

cigs even if you did say that it wouldnt bother me. Jeez if people are offened or threatend by that then they should go get some counciling.

Nobody is being made to feel like they HAVE to post scores, the comments made earlier by people were -to my mind- tongue in cheek.

i can understand someone not wanting to post a score thats going to be bottom of the heap, i usually only post a score once it is good enough not to be last, but it spurs me on to practice it does not make me become a social recluse with agoraphobia.

Can we lighten up here please!
Thunder Force

Post by Thunder Force »

I guess I was too quick to read meaning into your words, Cigs. Sorry it wasn't intentional. I've thought about this scoring debate further, and I think the best thing we can do to help the Hi-Scores board is just to post more scores. Which is pretty much what you (and Rob) were getting at I presume.

I'll try to find some spare time to play more for score, and take part more in the Hi-Scores board again, even if my scores won't be threatening yours anytime soon. And maybe some others will do the same...
marcus12024

Post by marcus12024 »

Don't worry everyone, I'll start posting some of my absolutely abysmal scores, then anyone can post something and it will be pretty much guaranteed to not be the lowest score on the board :D

I'm not afraid of being in last place...I'm kind of used to it these days :wink:

Anyway, have some fun, post some scores if you feel like it, and keep on shmuppin'.
elbarto

Post by elbarto »

hikarutilmitt wrote:Are there any differences between 2000 and regular RF2 other than the music? I could swear that the one at the arcade we play, the normal version, it's a bit harder. I got way too far in the ROM than I probably should have.
Alluro mentioned in the score thread that the 2000 version is easier.

That's why I haven't taken part in this particular score thread.. I can't be bothered to download another (crappier) version of a game I already have. If a board opens up for the normal non-2000 version, I'll definitely take part in that.

Semi-related... Are you going to kick off another RFjet table, Cigs?
"I LIKE SHOTS BULLITS AT BAD MAN"
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

I'm looking into getting the board right now since I have no place to play it anymore. If you or somebody else wants to take it in the meantime that's fine.
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

Man....I have to get these boards.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

We're getting closer!

Nicola reports that SPI sprites use 48-bit encryption, and he has it partially figured out. Stay tuned to http://mamelife.blogspot.com/
The age of Alluro and JudgeSpear is over.
nZero

Post by nZero »

Exciting times :D
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

so what about getting this bad bear to work on my xbox?
Frogacuda

Post by Frogacuda »

lol! Ok, good news everyone:

The OG version of RF2 is playable in the current MAME.

Just take the graphics ROMs from 2000 and add them to rf_us.zip and fire the game up. The graphics ROMs are the same and it works like a charm, original difficulty intact. Should have tried this sooner. The music is still screwed up (but differently from the 2000 version). I guess this will improve with further revisions of the driver. More important is the difficulty which is MUCH more enjoyable in the original.