Raiden Fighters 1,2,Jet +Viper Phase 1 now playable in Mame!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

The only level in RFJ where I would complain about this is Level 40 or 45, forget which. The white BG makes a hard level much harder for me.
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

roushimsx wrote:Does the Xbox have enough horsepower to run the SPI driver? I thought it'd require a much beffier CPU
kid aphex wrote:so what about getting this bad bear to work on my xbox?
For those interested - saw this question addressed on an xbox forum by a team member of one of the various Xbox Mame ports...
Ebsy wrote:As far as the SPI code goes (Raiden Fighters 2 etc.) I doubt this will be included. I've had a look at it, and the decrytion routines requires updates to core memory and cpu functions. Basically means a lot of updated code, some of which might not run fast enough on our trusty little xboxes. It's a shame really, but maybe someone with more coding experience could take a look in future.

The recent release of mame.93 brings a major overhaul to the sound processing, but unfortunatly this means there's even less chance of seeing a core update in future versions of mameox/mamedox, every new version of mame brings with it more need for processing power and while this is fine for the PC versions, its becoming a little too much for the xbox to take.

The forthcoming MAMEdOX is a step in the right direction though, adding some much needed updates and improvements to an already great application. Big thanks to HK$ for all the help, without him there'd be a lot of features left unfinished and a big thanks to BritneysPAIRS for all the help with the support files. it's more of an evolution than a revolution, but it should tide you over until we see a core update...you never know...
landshark

Post by landshark »

I played RFJ once or twice through mame but haven't gone back to it. I have an exceptionally difficult time seeing the bullets. Tate would probably help. But I'm happy with RFJ2.