OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Das Muel

Re: DIY video digitizer & scandoubler

Post by Das Muel »

akumajo wrote:
Das Muel wrote:Can anyone confirm compatible Micro SD cards? I've tried two Sandisk SDs (16gb and 8gb) now and neither worked.
Only 2 and 4 Gb worked for me.

Hmmm. Tough to find new cards of that size.
I am the geezer from the Retro Muel Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIg73A ... u89QcCBD3A
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

It's old, but still puts out a better picture than most LCDs of that size I've seen over the years. It just sucks at upscaling SD content.
if I'm not mistaken your Sony should have much better HDMI upscaling than component upscaling. You could try 480p > OSSC > Sony to see if it makes a difference.
FBX

Post by FBX »

Fudoh wrote:
It's old, but still puts out a better picture than most LCDs of that size I've seen over the years. It just sucks at upscaling SD content.
if I'm not mistaken your Sony should have much better HDMI upscaling than component upscaling. You could try 480p > OSSC > Sony to see if it makes a difference.
It's definitely better than component now that I tried it as you suggested. It's a little bit less sharp than the VP50 screenshot, but it also doesn't having ringing artifacts. So it's cleaner, but softer. Same results with GBI.LL through the OSSC.
pyrotek85

Post by pyrotek85 »

Das Muel wrote:
akumajo wrote:
Das Muel wrote:Can anyone confirm compatible Micro SD cards? I've tried two Sandisk SDs (16gb and 8gb) now and neither worked.
Only 2 and 4 Gb worked for me.

Hmmm. Tough to find new cards of that size.
Was going to mention the same thing. Not that you'd likely need anything that size, but being limited to such small ones might become a hindrance in the future. I know I have old ones in that range, but I'd have to go digging for them as I stopped using them a while ago.
rtw

Post by rtw »

In anticipation of the first FW upgrade I bought a couple of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281425331055

Worked flawlessly :mrgreen:
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work
zeruel85

Post by zeruel85 »

Hey marqs,

it'd be very helpful if you released the jic file in conjunction with the bin one, so many of us can flash the new firmware upgrades via JTAG mode, unless you'll fix the oc sd card controller for a better compatibility. :)

Thanks as always for your precious work!
eric90000

Post by eric90000 »

I'm currently looking to buy a new HDTV (I live in Ireland), I've seen a lot of people say that line triple mode doesn't work on a lot of Sony TV's....Should I avoid Sony? I had my eye on the KDL-40W705C.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Not necessarily, if you like the set otherwise, recent Sony sets have lovely 480p upscaling anyway.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

rtw wrote:
In anticipation of the first FW upgrade I bought a couple of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281425331055

Worked flawlessly :mrgreen:
Thanks, made a thread for discussing compatible cards on the official forum too - https://www.videogameperfection.com/for ... -sd-cards/
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
marqs

Post by marqs »

ZellSF wrote:Two questions:

1: if full range RGB is displayed as full range, is limited range component converted to full range or would we have to change TV settings per source?
Limited/full range concept does not really relate to analog component video, but to answer your question, color space conversion coefficients are chosen so that resulting digital RGB is full-range.
ZellSF wrote:2: in your notes you've written the SD card part of the firmware needs replacing. Should I worry about which SD card I use for updating?
Not in the sense that unsupported card would corrupt fw etc. - you can safely try your set of memory cards.
akumajo wrote:Ok i found why, it happens if scanline ID is set to ODD
Confirmed. Will be fixed in the next fw.
zeruel85 wrote:it'd be very helpful if you released the jic file in conjunction with the bin one, so many of us can flash the new firmware upgrades via JTAG mode, unless you'll fix the oc sd card controller for a better compatibility. :)
Sure, it's now available here.
zeruel85

Post by zeruel85 »

marqs wrote:Sure, it's now available here.
Thank you so much! :)
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Haven't had time to try the new FW yet but; is the previous wrong/wider 4:3 aspect ratio still available/selectable ?
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Shmeset

Post by Shmeset »

If I understand correctly, the OSSC does not work with composite, it needs RGB.
So if I want to use an unmodded PAL N64 with OSSC, I need to use a converter or RGB-Mod with the console?
So connecting the N64 with SCART to the OSSC will not work, or am I misunderstanding something?
Any help is appreciated.
marqs

Post by marqs »

Xyga wrote:Haven't had time to try the new FW yet but; is the previous wrong/wider 4:3 aspect ratio still available/selectable ?
Not in 0.70 fw, but once advanced timing tweaker gets implemented, you'll be able to fine tune aspect ratio / zoom as much as your display can handle.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Awesome, thanks. 8)
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Das Muel

Post by Das Muel »

Does anyone else get evenly-spaced columns of blurry pixels with certain systems/resolutions in line-double mode? I get them with Sega Mega Drive, in certain Sega Saturn resolution modes, and with my Sega Model 1/2/3 boards. Presumably the OSSC doesn't like the horizontal resolution for some reason. These weird blurry columns aren't present in line triple mode for some reason, so there's a workaround for every system except my mid-res arcade boards (496X384).

Here's a snap from Virtua Fighter 2 (The effect is hard to capture on camera - note the vertical waves in the blue sky over Kage. Text is effected particularly badly by this.):

marqs

Post by marqs »

Das Muel wrote:Does anyone else get evenly-spaced columns of blurry pixels with certain systems/resolutions in line-double mode? I get them with Sega Mega Drive, in certain Sega Saturn resolution modes, and with my Sega Model 1/2/3 boards. Presumably the OSSC doesn't like the horizontal resolution for some reason. These weird blurry columns aren't present in line triple mode for some reason, so there's a workaround for every system except my mid-res arcade boards (496X384).
That looks like sampling rate in linedouble mode hits close to dot clock of the source (without exactly matching it) so that several consecutive samples are taken at inoptimal time in a repeating pattern. Linetriple uses higher sampling rate so therefore the pattern is less noticeable. Video LPF should minimize the issue (turning it off makes things worse - right?), but it cannot be completely avoided unless sampling rate is modified. That will be possible with advanced timing editor, but it may reduce compatibility with some TVs.
masqdgamer

Post by masqdgamer »

where can I order the pre-built OSSC?
(Sorry if this has been previously mentioned in one of the 50 pages of posts)
Das Muel

Post by Das Muel »

That makes sense. Yeah the video LPF softens the effect but it's still pretty noticeable. Other than that issue, the image is crisp and clean as a whistle.
The advanced timing tweaker sounds great - I'm running my OSSC through a Micomsoft XPC-4 so I don't think I'll have compatibility issues. Presumably it's still some way off release though?
Pasky

Post by Pasky »

blizzz wrote:I agree that I may be too harsh on the Framemeister in that regard, but it has been such a big issue for me up until the latest firmware update. I will update the text so that it doesn't sound like a bigger difference than it actually is.

That is a graph of the colors I get from the RGB color bar screen of the 240p Test Suite with both the Framemeister and OSSC using my 1CHIP SNES. The OSSC is almost perfect, with only the blue channel being a tiny bit lower than the rest. That's within the natural spread of the video encoder, so it might just be my SNES. The Framemeister (with YCbCr output) on the other hand has quite a bit of difference between the channels. When I set the Framemeister to RGB output it gets even worse, with the green channel being way too high and red and blue a bit too low (Red: 207, Green: 254, Blue: 219). This is with the same console and cables. My settings for the Framemeister are: Brightness = 25, Gamma = 19, Black = 2, A/D Level = 130. That's brighter than the settings FBX recommends.

I just think that the OSSC does a really great job with the colors.

For the 1080p vs 720p comparison I can give you the screenshots I took. (480p and 720p screenshots taken with the SC-500N1 in 4:2:2; 1080p taken with the Elgato HD in lossy 4:2:0)
OSSC: 480p, 720p
Framemeister: 480p, 720p, 1080p

@BazookaBen, Both scalers were set to Line Triple / 720p. RetroRGB also confirmed my results. He'll post his review of the OSSC soon too. :)

How accurate is this test if you're using a capture card that also down samples to 4:2:2 (SC-512 or similar which does not do true 4:4:4)? I believe only the Datapath Vision frame grabbers are actually capable of capturing actual 4:4:4. I'm assuming you got your data from your capture card.
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

It's not really accurate, that's why I didn't include it in the review. Not only does the SC-500N1 use 4:2:2 itself, but I also haven't checked it versus the output of my PC, which should show perfect 0-255 levels. But I felt that the image gives a good impression on what results I get from the Framemeister, both in capture and on my TV. I also don't think that the results of the Framemeister are necessarily because it uses 4:2:2. It's just not using it correctly.
Pasky

Post by Pasky »

blizzz wrote:It's not really accurate, that's why I didn't include it in the review. Not only does the SC-500N1 use 4:2:2 itself, but I also haven't checked it versus the output of my PC, which should show perfect 0-255 levels. But I felt that the image gives a good impression on what results I get from the Framemeister, both in capture and on my TV. I also don't think that the results of the Framemeister are necessarily because it uses 4:2:2. It's just not using it correctly.

Ya I wasn't downplaying was just curious how you collected the data. There are attachments for the BVM for instance that can show you the rgb levels of the screen when placed over it, I believe that tool is actually used to calibrate them. Just wanted to confirm if you're using a capture card for that.
FBX

Post by FBX »

blizzz wrote:It's not really accurate, that's why I didn't include it in the review. Not only does the SC-500N1 use 4:2:2 itself, but I also haven't checked it versus the output of my PC, which should show perfect 0-255 levels. But I felt that the image gives a good impression on what results I get from the Framemeister, both in capture and on my TV. I also don't think that the results of the Framemeister are necessarily because it uses 4:2:2. It's just not using it correctly.
I've been using the 240p color bars to adjust A/D with. I found on my 1CHIP-03, I had to turn it down to 120 to prevent green crush. Then from there, brightness and gamma can be adjusted to increase the overall range, though I found it's usually not a good idea to go crazy on the gamma as it tends to make dark tones too bright compared to what they should be.
yxkalle

Post by yxkalle »

I thought only the time resolution was affected by downsampling.
Pasky

Post by Pasky »

yxkalle wrote:I thought only the time resolution was affected by downsampling.
Wut?
Bahn Yuki

Post by Bahn Yuki »

So I recieved my new Vizio 75" series display today and boy this thing is pretty mind blowing. I can sit here and tell you about Dolby Vision and HDR10, but the scope of this thread is the OSSC. I tested it out with the Sega Saturn in line triple mode and it with the TVs FALD I can honestly say this rivals CRT in terms of response time and contrast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrcFt8WNAIw
Displays I currently own:
LG 83C1(OLED),LG 77C2(OLED), LG 42C2(OLED),TCL 75R635(MiniLED),Apple Studio Monitor 21(PCCRT),SONY 34XBR960x2(HDCRT)
SONY 32XBR250,Samsung UBJ590(LED),Panasonic P50VT20(Plasma),JVC NZ8
masqdgamer

Post by masqdgamer »

Bahn Yuki wrote:So I recieved my new Vizio 75" series display today and boy this thing is pretty mind blowing. I can sit here and tell you about Dolby Vision and HDR10, but the scope of this thread is the OSSC. I tested it out with the Sega Saturn in line triple mode and it with the TVs FALD I can honestly say this rivals CRT in terms of response time and contrast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrcFt8WNAIw
model #?
Bahn Yuki

Post by Bahn Yuki »

P75-C1
Displays I currently own:
LG 83C1(OLED),LG 77C2(OLED), LG 42C2(OLED),TCL 75R635(MiniLED),Apple Studio Monitor 21(PCCRT),SONY 34XBR960x2(HDCRT)
SONY 32XBR250,Samsung UBJ590(LED),Panasonic P50VT20(Plasma),JVC NZ8
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Disappointing to hear that it has more lag in 4:4:4 sampling mode, if I understood that correctly. Other than that sounds like a really nice set. Are there integer scaling options?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

bobrocks95 wrote:Disappointing to hear that it has more lag in 4:4:4 sampling mode, if I understood that correctly. Other than that sounds like a really nice set. Are there integer scaling options?
Yeah, it stinks that input lag is something that only a tiny fraction of game players care about, and we're an even smaller portion of the TV consumer base in general. It doesn't seem like we'll ever get TV's that try to approach the low input lag of gaming monitors