OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
zeruel85

Re: DIY video digitizer & scandoubler

Post by zeruel85 »

Unfortunately lineX5 does not work with my Asus VX279H.
It says 'OUT OF RANGE' floating around the screen.
Is there anything I could try to fix this problem?

Thanks.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

The results will be wildly varied and different accross all types, brands and models of displays. That was totally expected though.
BuckoA51 wrote:Hardly worth using an OSSC if you're going to pass through 240p though... so that TV accepts no signal from OSSC but accepts 240p over HDMI... you have to wonder what Samsung's engineers were smoking...
Well since apprently 'scanlines' work over passthrough, in his case that makes the OSSC some kind of super expensive digital SLG3000.

> Fuck Samsung yes, don't know what they smoked in 2016 indeed but it was too dank.
Last edited by Xyga on Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Galdelico

Post by Galdelico »

Xyga wrote:@Galdelico; you'll have to shoot some more pictures. :mrgreen:
Dude, LineX4 + robust scanlines = heaven.
And I didn't forget about the pics... I think it's time to set everyting up, now, and finally save all the profiles. :D
zeruel85 wrote:Unfortunately lineX5 does not work with my Asus VX279H.
It says 'OUT OF RANGE' floating around the screen.
Is there anything I could try to fix this problem?

Thanks.
On my LG 27MU67 it actually works - as in, it gets displayed and looks great - but goes well over the screen borders, ending up cropped on 3 sides out of 4.
paulb_nl

Post by paulb_nl »

bobrocks95 wrote:You could have gotten a $30 HDMI converter that did the exact same thing though if all you're doing with the OSSC is using pass-through mode.
You mean that cheap converter also has zero lag, component, rgb scart and vga inputs, customizable horizontal sampling and choice of Rec601 or Rec709 color conversion? :D
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

Whats the difference between the 'ossc_0.76-aud.bin' and 'ossc_0.76.bin' FW file, is the ossc_0.76-aud.bin if you have the audio over DVI module installed?
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

lettuce wrote:Whats the difference between the 'ossc_0.76-aud.bin' and 'ossc_0.76.bin' FW file, is the ossc_0.76-aud.bin if you have the audio over DVI module installed?
You got it 8)
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

GBI LL (DVDO VP50 + OSSC) 3x: http://i.cubeupload.com/cgtZmT.png
GBI LL (DVDO VP50 + OSSC) 5x: http://i.cubeupload.com/dIFgVE.png
Still looks pretty bad (maybe I'm expecting too much either of a 240x160 image or of the Gamecube's RGB output), but still obviously reduced ringing. Trying to zoom in for correct aspect ratio revealed that the VP50 isn't entirely happy with the 5x signal though, there were some very bad artifacts on the image when scaling horizontally. Tweaking the horizontal sample rate made them go away, but custom horizontal zoom settings is going to be a bit of a PITA on the VP50. Good thing it's not something you will have to deal with often.

XRGB-mini actually needs to switch to 2x before switching to 240p before it works. I tried seeing how it compared, but adjusting XRGB-mini settings is so annoying and I couldn't get it connected to my capture card.
Bahn Yuki wrote: One final thing, using the Dreamcast on AV3 I'm no longer getting an image when the output is set to "DTV". I have to keep it on Auto or VESA 640 x 480 in order to get an image. On the previous firmware DTV worked fine. Has anyone else tried this out?
DTV works fine for me.
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

Just tried 4x and 5x modes on my Sony KDL- 42W653 they dont appear to work....or though they dont give me the 'this mode is unsupported' message that x3 mode does, instead i just get a black screen
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Dang, I have the same. Not that I had high hopes but heh.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

Bahn Yuki wrote:So I tried the LineX4 and X5 modes on my Vizio 4K D series 65" and it wasn't compatible on HDMI 5. This is the ultra low lag port as it doesn't go through the TV's scaler and can do 4K/60@4:2:0. On a hunch I put the OSSC into HDMI 4 and lo and behold everything works. LineX4 and X5 work flawlessly. I never really tested out the Vizio's scaler but it's far better than I thought. I can make the screen larger or smaller, change position and other various options. Also much to my delight the 480x2 does work for Dreamcast and the TV displays it as 1280 x 960.

Only downside is that I'm no longer on the "fast" input of HDMI 5 which is rated 13ms. Still with 5X mode and various other options now available to me, I find that the OSSC is truly an incredible product. Paired with a "cheap" Vizio 4K D series the results are simply astonishing.
Did you have the Gamemode Turned on for HDMI4 still? RTRings says that is 42.2ms which isn't terrible.
wildchild22

Post by wildchild22 »

Exactly I am using the scan line option and it seems to work well with very low lag.

Xyga wrote:The results will be wildly varied and different accross all types, brands and models of displays. That was totally expected though.
BuckoA51 wrote:Hardly worth using an OSSC if you're going to pass through 240p though... so that TV accepts no signal from OSSC but accepts 240p over HDMI... you have to wonder what Samsung's engineers were smoking...
Well since apprently 'scanlines' work over passthrough, in his case that makes the OSSC some kind of super expensive digital SLG3000.

> Fuck Samsung yes, don't know what they smoked in 2016 indeed but it was too dank.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

paulb_nl wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:You could have gotten a $30 HDMI converter that did the exact same thing though if all you're doing with the OSSC is using pass-through mode.
You mean that cheap converter also has zero lag, component, rgb scart and vga inputs, customizable horizontal sampling and choice of Rec601 or Rec709 color conversion? :D
They are lag-free, have one of those inputs, and you can use converters for others. I thought most TVs didn't like you messing with the OSSC's horizontal sampling, and at least on my Sony TV you can set the color standard on a per-input basis, unless I'm misunderstanding that feature. In the end it's your money though, and you already own the thing, so...
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Bahn Yuki

Post by Bahn Yuki »

citrus3000psi wrote:
Bahn Yuki wrote:So I tried the LineX4 and X5 modes on my Vizio 4K D series 65" and it wasn't compatible on HDMI 5. This is the ultra low lag port as it doesn't go through the TV's scaler and can do 4K/60@4:2:0. On a hunch I put the OSSC into HDMI 4 and lo and behold everything works. LineX4 and X5 work flawlessly. I never really tested out the Vizio's scaler but it's far better than I thought. I can make the screen larger or smaller, change position and other various options. Also much to my delight the 480x2 does work for Dreamcast and the TV displays it as 1280 x 960.

Only downside is that I'm no longer on the "fast" input of HDMI 5 which is rated 13ms. Still with 5X mode and various other options now available to me, I find that the OSSC is truly an incredible product. Paired with a "cheap" Vizio 4K D series the results are simply astonishing.
Did you have the Gamemode Turned on for HDMI4 still? RTRings says that is 42.2ms which isn't terrible.
Yes and it's quite playable. I'm using "Clear Action" for 60hz BFI and I admit this D series is really spectacular. I'll make a video tonight for everyone to see.
Displays I currently own:
LG 83C1(OLED),LG 77C2(OLED), LG 42C2(OLED),TCL 75R635(MiniLED),Apple Studio Monitor 21(PCCRT),SONY 34XBR960x2(HDCRT)
SONY 32XBR250,Samsung UBJ590(LED),Panasonic P50VT20(Plasma),JVC NZ8
fafangus

Post by fafangus »

Ok fast tested with a random neogeo aes ntsc :

----------------Line X 4-----|---Line X 5
Onkyo TXNR808-----works---|---not working
CII -----------------works---|---syncing problems

Well I'll do more test later ^^
bonzo.bits

Post by bonzo.bits »

Did some testing last night

Panasonic 55VT60
Neither 4x nor 5x work. However, I could at least obtain an image with 4x. It's pretty messed up and when I adjusted various settings (timing tweaked, sync settings, etc), it either disappeared completely or altered which section of graphics were flickering

I'm guessing this is as close as I'll get with this display.....
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Did you try switching the output signal type between DVI and HDMI?
Thomago

Post by Thomago »

Galdelico wrote:That said, I only had that occurrence with Saturn Virtua Fighter 2... I don't know if that's because the UI is drawn at an even higher resolution (I tried several fighting games on the PS2 - which should be fully running at 480i - and none of them impacted on the screen like VF2 did), or what... But I'm curious to know if anyone else had the same experience.
I just had pretty much the same experience with my ViewSonic VG2753/OSSC combo: I entered my (PAL-)PS2's memory card menu, let the screen stay for a while and and bam! - the menu's upper and lower edges (where the light gray background meets the black overscan area) where "burned in".
I'm using quotation marks cause "burn in" usually refers to static after images; however, what I got was "after flickering". That's right - I could see two bobbing lines afterwards for more than 15 minutes. After that, I powered down the monitor, let it sit for while and upon powering it up again, the flickering was gone.

At the time of the "burn in" the VG2753's response time was set to "Ultra Fast"; the monitor applies heavy overdrive with this setting. Using "Advanced" instead (slight overdrive without overshooting) resulted in no "burn in" whatsoever after about 2 minutes of displaying the memory card menu. You see where this is going - if you get burn in from the OSSC, try reducing your monitor's overdrive.
jarp

Post by jarp »

Any reason LineX5 format is capped to 1920x1200? Some of the picture will be cropped out e.g. when using modes like 256p or 288p:

5 x 240 = 1200 == Great
5 x 256 = 1280 == Cropped
5 x 288 = 1440 == Badly cropped

I was having having a moment of joy, I could use my 1440p monitor and do pixel perfect scaling when using 288p mode (for some wicked reason my monitor scaler is absolute crap even though pixel perfect scaling would be possible). Except that it won't work due to this resolution cap.

Though yet I have to say, amazing work again marqs, all the respect!
bonzo.bits

Post by bonzo.bits »

Guspaz wrote:Did you try switching the output signal type between DVI and HDMI?
Yeah I switched back and forth a few times. Also tried all possible combinations of HLL pre and post coast on both HDMI and DVI modes. I clearly have NFI what these settings do :-) but I tried them all anyway.

I also put the OSSC through the FM. 4x / 5x worked and looked crud, but it was interesting to observe the OSSC scanlines when zoomed in and messing around with the H and V scaler settings on the FM.
fafangus

Post by fafangus »

So setting line X5 to 1920X1600 works very well with the C2 and the Onkyo :-)
It's blowing my eyes :-p
great works !!!
Galdelico

Post by Galdelico »

Thomago wrote:I just had pretty much the same experience with my ViewSonic VG2753/OSSC combo: I entered my (PAL-)PS2's memory card menu, let the screen stay for a while and and bam! - the menu's upper and lower edges (where the light gray background meets the black overscan area) where "burned in".
I'm using quotation marks cause "burn in" usually refers to static after images; however, what I got was "after flickering". That's right - I could see two bobbing lines afterwards for more than 15 minutes. After that, I powered down the monitor, let it sit for while and upon powering it up again, the flickering was gone.

At the time of the "burn in" the VG2753's response time was set to "Ultra Fast"; the monitor applies heavy overdrive with this setting. Using "Advanced" instead (slight overdrive without overshooting) resulted in no "burn in" whatsoever after about 2 minutes of displaying the memory card menu. You see where this is going - if you get burn in from the OSSC, try reducing your monitor's overdrive.
Thanks dude!

First of all, that's exactly what I get too... 'After-flickering'. My LG goes white for a while, when in standby mode, and you can clearly see the brightest areas of Virtua Fighter 2 UI still heavily flickering on the white background.

That said, I'm pretty sure I had 'Response Time' (I believe that's the Overdrive selector on my LG...) set to the max too - first time I noticed the issue - but then quickly changed it down to the lowest setting, after figuring out it could be part of the problem. Unfortunately, nothing changed. I don't know if that depends on my display - maybe it doesn't have enough 'control' over that specific function? - on the refresh rate (it's 60hz, not 144), or maybe on the game itself... Yesterday I tried Fighters Megamix, which uses a similar hi-res UI over 240p 3D graphics, and that didn't leave any flickering marks on the display.
I'll check VF2 again on 'medium', though. Thanks for the tip! ^_-
paulb_nl

Post by paulb_nl »

jarp wrote:Any reason LineX5 format is capped to 1920x1200?
You can increase V.active to 288 and decrease V.backporch to get 1440p.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Galdelico wrote:That said, I'm pretty sure I had 'Response Time' (I believe that's the Overdrive selector on my LG...) set to the max too - first time I noticed the issue - but then quickly changed it down to the lowest setting, after figuring out it could be part of the problem. Unfortunately, nothing changed. I don't know if that depends on my display - maybe it doesn't have enough 'control' over that specific function?
Yep that's the overdrive control and typically the most balanced setting is the lowest/first level (more rarely the middle, and almost never the highest which creates black overshoot artifacts)
But no I don't think this has to do with that VF2 problem, it's likely that particular occurence of flickering colors in that precise location that puts too much strain on the crystals as we managed to mention before.
IMHO even with the overdrive off you'll still have that problem, only completely stopping the flickering for that game would do I think.
Bahn Yuki

Post by Bahn Yuki »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND5wimOlhqM
My experience with the OSSC in LineX5 mode on my Vizio D65u-D2
Displays I currently own:
LG 83C1(OLED),LG 77C2(OLED), LG 42C2(OLED),TCL 75R635(MiniLED),Apple Studio Monitor 21(PCCRT),SONY 34XBR960x2(HDCRT)
SONY 32XBR250,Samsung UBJ590(LED),Panasonic P50VT20(Plasma),JVC NZ8
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

While 5x works on my DVDO VP50, it requires HDMI cables of a quality level I don't have enough of :(. So I have to buy some new cables before I can set this up permanently again. Did you try a high quality HDMI cable BuckoA51? I find it weird that the VP50Pro wouldn't support 5x when the VP50 does. Not that I mind having one less reason to be jealous of VP50Pro owners...
h1ghju1ce

Post by h1ghju1ce »

ZellSF wrote:While 5x works on my DVDO VP50, it requires HDMI cables of a quality level I don't have enough of :(. So I have to buy some new cables before I can set this up permanently again. Did you try a high quality HDMI cable BuckoA51?

High Quality Cables?!?!?! what make of cables are you considering as HQ? , and what makes them better than other cables ?

I'd hate the idea that we now need to start caring about certain cables as the cause of issues!
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

While 5x works on my DVDO VP50, it requires HDMI cables of a quality level I don't have enough of :(. So I have to buy some new cables before I can set this up permanently again. Did you try a high quality HDMI cable BuckoA51?
Same cable I used to connect to the DVDO Edge I believe. All rated for 1080p with audio. I'll double check it though.

Edit - Wow you were right, it was the cable, switching to a Amazon Basics Highspeed fixed it, never would have thought of that to be honest!
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Yeah I've experienced similar issues with the DVDOs some time ago, and it's an Amazon basics that did it for me too.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

h1ghju1ce wrote:
ZellSF wrote:While 5x works on my DVDO VP50, it requires HDMI cables of a quality level I don't have enough of :(. So I have to buy some new cables before I can set this up permanently again. Did you try a high quality HDMI cable BuckoA51?

High Quality Cables?!?!?! what make of cables are you considering as HQ? , and what makes them better than other cables ?

I'd hate the idea that we now need to start caring about certain cables as the cause of issues!
Uh, we've always needed too. If the cable is too thin or too poorly shielded, you get signal loss and/or very obvious image artifacts.

HDMI cable gauge is apparently measured in AWG, where lower is better, and of course if your cable run is longer and/or have higher bandwidth requirements (higher resolution, wider color range, audio) you need a better quality cable than if it was shorter or had lower bandwidth requirements.

If caring about HDMI cable quality is a idea that inspires hate in you, I don't want to be around when someone tells you about HDCP. OSSC doesn't use it, but the headaches it can give you when connecting other HDMI equipment....
juji82

Post by juji82 »

I can confirm aswell that OSSC 5x line works with a VP50pro :shock: