OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Fudoh

Re: DIY video digitizer & scandoubler

Post by Fudoh »

zeruel85

Post by zeruel85 »

Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

eric90000 wrote:Does the OSSC have any issues with PAL 50hz consoles modded to run NTSC games in 60hz?
The OSSC shouldn't have a problem, but as you note, the display might. I found on my TV, it wouldn't accept a 59.53 Hz refresh rate from my SuperCIC modded two-chip PAL SNES via HDMI (the same TV does accept it directly via scart RGB though, which is kinda annoying).
One-chip SNES mod, however, should be safer as the mod uses a separate crystal for the 60 Hz signal. As for PS1 mods, I have no idea though...

Basically, if the output is too far off from spec, certain TVs will not accept it. LCD monitors are generally more lenient (works on my BenQ monitor).

EDIT: wasn't refresh-rate per se, as it turns out it does actually work in line x3 mode...
Last edited by Harrumph on Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fafangus

Post by fafangus »

CII + OSSC Combo :
ps 2 : https://youtu.be/2YPeaQK2lco
original xbox : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIxO5Byp8Ao

GLORY
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Harrumph wrote:
eric90000 wrote:Does the OSSC have any issues with PAL 50hz consoles modded to run NTSC games in 60hz?
The OSSC shouldn't have a problem, but as you note, the display might. I found on my TV, it wouldn't accept a 59.82 Hz refresh rate from my SuperCIC modded two-chip PAL SNES via HDMI (the same TV does accept it directly via scart RGB though, which is kinda annoying).
One-chip SNES mod, however, should be safer as the mod uses a separate crystal for the 60 Hz signal. As for PS1 mods, I have no idea though...

Basically, if the output is too far off from spec, certain TVs will not accept it. LCD monitors are generally more lenient (works on my BenQ monitor).
The refresh rate is not the reason your SNES isn't working, it's to do with some peculiarities in the SNES signal. Even genuine NTSC SNES consoles have issues on some displays (and work fine in 50hz mode when modded with a SuperCIC).
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
fafangus

Post by fafangus »

My pal MD1 & amiga 1200 works fine x2 & x3 mode
marqs

Post by marqs »

zeruel85 wrote:
Wow, thank you! :)
Here's the original wikipage, but connections will much depend on console model. The mod is easier if there is no need to keep DVD playback as RGB does not need to be rewired in that case. I was also lazy and hooked csync from video encoder chip via ~0.5k resistor instead of using a proper buffer circuit, but it has worked perfectly fine. Only issue I noticed with the mod is that component output is still forced for 576p and 1080p, but that shouldn't matter for most people.
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

Honestly floored that I hadn't heard of this mod. Awesome.

Unfortunately I'm pretty attached to keeping my model unmodified, so I won't be utilizing it.

+1 for some sort of automatic 15khz/31khz switching. A bit of a delay would be fine for the PS2. I can't think of anything that swaps from 15khz to 31khz and then kicks you to live gameplay or something immediately. Generally you'd only be swapping within menus and then hit X or O or whatever to confirm within ~20 seconds.
Avrel

Post by Avrel »

NormalFish wrote:+1 for some sort of automatic 15khz/31khz switching. A bit of a delay would be fine for the PS2. I can't think of anything that swaps from 15khz to 31khz and then kicks you to live gameplay or something immediately. Generally you'd only be swapping within menus and then hit X or O or whatever to confirm within ~20 seconds.
I agree. I do not see the need for a very fast switch. A few seconds would be fine I think.
cfx

Post by cfx »

NormalFish wrote:A bit of a delay would be fine for the PS2. I can't think of anything that swaps from 15khz to 31khz and then kicks you to live gameplay or something immediately. Generally you'd only be swapping within menus and then hit X or O or whatever to confirm within ~20 seconds.
No game ever does that, are you thinking of 240p to 480i transitions, which I'm not sure any PS2 titles do either, though PS1 ones do?

To select 31kHz (480p) for PS2 games that support it, it's either the "hold down two buttons while game boots" or an option in the option menu, and in either case you get those confirmation dialogs to make sure you actually get a picture, and once the game is switched to that mode it stays there until you reset it or switch games.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

sorry, but didn't he exactly state the same thing as you did ?
Yohanov

Post by Yohanov »

Can people with working and not working MVS+OSSC combo post their model details on here so we can narrow down the sync issues with the OSSC (not sync issues with displays) :

https://www.videogameperfection.com/for ... -2-issues/

Thanks
cfx

Post by cfx »

Fudoh wrote:sorry, but didn't he exactly state the same thing as you did ?
Yeah, I guess so, rereading. I had trouble parsing his sentences. :oops:
toto99303

Post by toto99303 »

Hi guys, can anyone recommend a USB HDMI capture device that is confirmed compatible with OSSC?

I have Avermedia LGP Lite and I can confirm It’s NOT working with custom RGB resolutions/scanlines/refresh rates from Sega consoles.
You can see the issue here: https://youtu.be/l9LXK4nXBDA
I want to sell it and buy a compatible one.

Thanks!
fafangus

Post by fafangus »

I use my xacpture-1 with the C2 paired to the OSSC, so I can't confirm it works directly...
I've just tested the SFC directly, and it worked...
I think it's like the tv/monitor/scalers issues, you have to get a unit that could handle the OSSC output...
Also it may vary between two same consoles, one could work without any problems the other no (ok that's a few number...)
Popolocrois

Post by Popolocrois »

Hi. I'm really confused by this motherboard mod. Could you please explain to me if this mod would help me to get progressive scan with RGB cable (RGsB), without any need to buy an extron rxi box?

Is there soldering/desoldering work involved? I've never done any of this stuff.
Thank tou very much.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

You already get RGsB in 480p through any Scart RGB cable. What else do you need ? And since the OSSC supports both RGBs and RGsB on the Scart input, you're all good.

The mod is intended to lock the RGB output into certain sync modes (RGBs or RGBHV), but do you really need that ?

And yes, there's soldering involved.
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

BuckoA51 wrote:
Harrumph wrote:
The OSSC shouldn't have a problem, but as you note, the display might. I found on my TV, it wouldn't accept a 59.82 Hz refresh rate from my SuperCIC modded two-chip PAL SNES via HDMI (the same TV does accept it directly via scart RGB though, which is kinda annoying).

The refresh rate is not the reason your SNES isn't working, it's to do with some peculiarities in the SNES signal. Even genuine NTSC SNES consoles have issues on some displays (and work fine in 50hz mode when modded with a SuperCIC).
You are correct, tested my replacement unit just now, and though line-double doesn't display, line-triple actually does work. And the refresh rate was even lower than I'd originally stated (I'd misremembered) so it can actually take even as low as 59.53 Hz. Well go figure, that SNES does behave weirdly...
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Yes I've encountered a display (a Philips TV) where the SNES only worked in line triple mode.
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
marqs

Post by marqs »

BuckoA51 wrote:Yes I've encountered a display (a Philips TV) where the SNES only worked in line triple mode.
Interesting. Maybe those TVs switch to higher input bandwidth with 720p and can thus cope better with jitter in HDMI clock signal. One thing that still puzzles me is that nobody has reported similar compatibility issues with NESRGB despite NES having same hsync irregularity (although on a different scanline).
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

NESRGB's are a lot rarer than SNES's though, if I had the cash I'd get one in to test. (purely to test of course :mrgreen: )
deltronik

Post by deltronik »

marqs wrote:
BuckoA51 wrote:Yes I've encountered a display (a Philips TV) where the SNES only worked in line triple mode.
Interesting. Maybe those TVs switch to higher input bandwidth with 720p and can thus cope better with jitter in HDMI clock signal. One thing that still puzzles me is that nobody has reported similar compatibility issues with NESRGB despite NES having same hsync irregularity (although on a different scanline).
BuckoA51 wrote:NESRGB's are a lot rarer than SNES's though, if I had the cash I'd get one in to test. (purely to test of course :mrgreen: )
I'd love to see what results others get with NESRGB's considering the ripple/wave and horizontal shift that appears in many games on my NESRGB Twin Famicom. I've played with all of the sync settings and couldn't affect it.

I've only used the NESRGB with the rasbberry pi/gbs-8220/gefen and a ebay scart-yuv converter. Although I had to play with the sync settings a good bit, I eventually settled on a good profile with the gbs-8220 that didn't drop sync. I never saw the distortion I see on the OSSC.

The early model NTSC/U SNES works just as well as Genesis and gives me no fuss at all. x2 is good on the Panasonic Plasma and x2/x3 is good on my eMachines Monitor.
Omnigamer

Post by Omnigamer »

Wanted to report that the OSSC works fine with Game Gear, of all things. The specific mod is the Otaku's Store mod, although I imagine McWill's and GGTV will work fine too. Only issue I notice is a bit of color shifting, but I'm almost certain that's an issue with the mod itself.

I haven't been following the thread for a while; are some folks getting distortion with NESRGB? I haven't noticed any problems, but I can post a few comparison shots if people want them.
bonzo.bits

Post by bonzo.bits »

deltronik wrote: The early model NTSC/U SNES works just as well as Genesis and gives me no fuss at all. x2 is good on the Panasonic Plasma and x2/x3 is good on my eMachines Monitor.
Which model of Panny plasma?
deltronik

Post by deltronik »

bonzo.bits wrote: Which model of Panny plasma?
tc-p50s60
Elrinth

Post by Elrinth »

I am not getting any audio at all from the combiner I bought from ebay :(
here's the one I bought...
I've tried with 3 different audio cables... there is no sound coming from the hdmi cable... I have tried two different hdmi cables.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/282055740467?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

I can connect my headphones directly to the OSSC and hear audio.

Does anyone have a proper solution to get audio via HDMI from the OSSC?!

Bah stupid me... Seems I had to shut off the device, then start it... It won't allow you to connect the L/R afterwards.
Last edited by Elrinth on Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Must be faulty, can you not return it and try again, maybe you just got unlucky?
Elrinth

Post by Elrinth »

With the famicom, I am not getting any audio... but with the mega drive. I am getting audio... hmmm.
this audio + dvi combiner doesn't seem to be too great with the audio.
the famicom audio output I have is pretty crappy in general ofcourse.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

I think none you will try will work well-enough.
I've had no problems combining sound with the DVDO iScan VP scalers (been lucky apparently), but recommending an at least $200 puchase jut to have sound on your display doesn't make much sense.
Honestly, cheap external speakers (with built-in amplificator, powered by AC or USB) seem to be the best solution, by far.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"