OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
krealian

Re: DIY video digitizer & scandoubler

Post by krealian »

marqs wrote:Firmware 0.75 is now officially out, with following changes:

* Added support for up to 10 profiles (incl. menu settings and adv. timing parameters)
* Remote hotkey added for quick profile loading
* Remote hotkeys added for sampling phase adjustment
* Improved remote keymap customization procedure
* Default analog sync LPF set to max
* Diy-audio fw: default TX_mode set to HDMI
* Optionally track last used input and restore it on powerup

As always, instructions and details are found on the wiki
Hi marqs. Awesome work with the firmware, looking forward to the profiles feature! I just have a quick question about updating. I'm still on FW 0.73, do I need to update to 0.74 before updating to 0.75 or can I just skip 0.74?
fafangus

Post by fafangus »

Hi all
I have recently own a NeoGeo Aes with “armouring” all in the Inside (serial between 20k/30k, the sticker was taked off…), great piece of hardware, sharp rgb signal but…

When I use it with the OSSC (and the FM by the way), I’ve got a distorted picture in the top of the screen like that :
__
/ /
| |
| |
| |

Hooked it directly to av1, using a sync strike (or xsync) in av2, using my xselectd4…always got this annoying distortion…

Tryed to adjust ossc’s timing and sync option but nothing seems to arrange that

For now the console is away in my friend’s house (to check the motherboard), do you guys know if I have to mod the signal of the console (I have read that on some neogeo that the sync is not properly wired…)

Mant thanks !!
jarp

Post by jarp »

* Added support for up to 10 profiles (incl. menu settings and adv. timing parameters)
Amazing, thank you! This actually increased the usefulness of the OSSC exponentially! As a suggestion for future development, please add some kind of sampling phase override setting under advanced timing settings so one can set sampling phase per resolution. Some funny resolutions I've tried with the Amiga requires different sampling phases than others. As o workaround, of course, I can just create new profiles for different resolutions.

Speaking about sampling phase, I've had some troubles with it. When I find working sampling phase, save settings and reboot the OSSC then I may or may not get perfect picture. If sampling seems to be off, I can add X degrees to the sampling phase AND go back to the original sampling phase and boom, it's perfect. Sometimes few reboots will make it work also. I do not understand fully how the OSSC works so no idea why... Minor trouble really, but thought I should mention it.
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

jarp wrote:
Speaking about sampling phase, I've had some troubles with it. When I find working sampling phase, save settings and reboot the OSSC then I may or may not get perfect picture. If sampling seems to be off, I can add X degrees to the sampling phase AND go back to the original sampling phase and boom, it's perfect. Sometimes few reboots will make it work also.
This is a known bug. The user redguy on vgp forums is working on some kind of phase auto-sync setting via custom firmware. https://www.videogameperfection.com/for ... auto-sync/
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Flashed it to mine, seems to work great. A bit of confusion since the save settings option is gone, took me a minute to realize that saving to profiles replaced saving settings.

The method for loading profiles (the "10+ --/-" button followed by a number) is very convenient.
deruji

Post by deruji »

* Remote hotkey added for quick profile loading
* Remote hotkeys added for sampling phase adjustment
* Improved remote keymap customization procedure
* Default analog sync LPF set to max
* Diy-audio fw: default TX_mode set to HDMI
* Optionally track last used input and restore it on powerup

As always, instructions and details are found on the wiki

Would it be possible to get a .img or .iso. version of the file? I haven't any success under linux in getting the file written to an SD card. In Windows it works well with Win32disk, but I don't always have access to a Windows PC.
Nrg

Post by Nrg »

deruji wrote:Would it be possible to get a .img or .iso. version of the file? I haven't any success under linux in getting the file written to an SD card. In Windows it works well with Win32disk, but I don't always have access to a Windows PC.
Works just fine under Linux. Use 'dd' to write the image to the SD card:

dd if=ossc_0.75.bin of=/dev/sdX oflag=direct

Obviously replace sdX with your actual device name for the SD card. Note that command will overwrite/destroy all the data in the device in question!
paulb_nl

Post by paulb_nl »

krealian wrote:I'm still on FW 0.73, do I need to update to 0.74 before updating to 0.75 or can I just skip 0.74?
You can update directly to any version so just update to 0.75.
deruji

Post by deruji »

Nrg wrote:
deruji wrote:Would it be possible to get a .img or .iso. version of the file? I haven't any success under linux in getting the file written to an SD card. In Windows it works well with Win32disk, but I don't always have access to a Windows PC.

Obviously replace sdX with your actual device name for the SD card. Note that command will overwrite/destroy all the data in the device in question!
Thank you. I didn't know that oflag needed to be used. I'll try it out next chance I have.

Perhaps this should also be added to the wiki for future reference
krealian

Post by krealian »

paulb_nl wrote: You can update directly to any version so just update to 0.75.
Thank you! I couldn't find any information on this but maybe I missed it. I will update to 0.75 once I find a compatible SD card.
marqs

Post by marqs »

fafangus wrote:Hi all
I have recently own a NeoGeo Aes with “armouring” all in the Inside (serial between 20k/30k, the sticker was taked off…), great piece of hardware, sharp rgb signal but…

When I use it with the OSSC (and the FM by the way), I’ve got a distorted picture in the top of the screen like that :
__
/ /
| |
| |
| |

Hooked it directly to av1, using a sync strike (or xsync) in av2, using my xselectd4…always got this annoying distortion…

Tryed to adjust ossc’s timing and sync option but nothing seems to arrange that
Certain MVS models have significant hsync period variaton, but only during vblank so it's not on visible area (OSSC nonetheless needs special settings to cope with that).
virsago

Post by virsago »

Anyone have experience with FW updates improving compatibility with a previously incompatible set? My Samsung 4K UN50KU6300FXZA is definitely 240p compatible yet can't do even line double from my OSSC with my RGB-modded NTSC SNES Mini or Model 1 NTSC Genesis using HDRetrovision component cables for both. It says, "Resolution not supported." I'm on 0.73 currently but I'm not sure upgrading to 0.75 would help.
paulb_nl

Post by paulb_nl »

Have you tried setting the input mode to PC?
marqs

Post by marqs »

virsago wrote:Anyone have experience with FW updates improving compatibility with a previously incompatible set? My Samsung 4K UN50KU6300FXZA is definitely 240p compatible yet can't do even line double from my OSSC with my RGB-modded NTSC SNES Mini or Model 1 NTSC Genesis using HDRetrovision component cables for both. It says, "Resolution not supported." I'm on 0.73 currently but I'm not sure upgrading to 0.75 would help.
Do you mean it's 240p compatible over HDMI or just analog connection(s)? If test pattern and linedoubled 480i sources are displayed, then it indicates that the TV has zero tolerance regarding line counts over DVI/HDMI. There's not much that can be done via fw apart from passing thru 240p as is (if it is really supported over digital inputs).
deruji

Post by deruji »

Nrg wrote:

I just tried it out, it sort of works. It works with a card I had previously formatted with Win32disk, but not with another card I had formatted under linux.
Do you by chance know which settings need to be used to correctly format the card in linux?
virsago

Post by virsago »

paulb_nl wrote:Have you tried setting the input mode to PC?
I have, but weirdly enough I can't seem to get it to switch to PC mode, but only for the OSSC. I can do it for my Xbox One S and other consoles, but it doesn't work when I try it with my OSSC. Is there some setting on the scaler that might force my TV to recognize it as compatible with PC mode? As is, I'm not sure if there's a way to force it through the TV.
marqs wrote:
virsago wrote:Anyone have experience with FW updates improving compatibility with a previously incompatible set? My Samsung 4K UN50KU6300FXZA is definitely 240p compatible yet can't do even line double from my OSSC with my RGB-modded NTSC SNES Mini or Model 1 NTSC Genesis using HDRetrovision component cables for both. It says, "Resolution not supported." I'm on 0.73 currently but I'm not sure upgrading to 0.75 would help.
Do you mean it's 240p compatible over HDMI or just analog connection(s)? If test pattern and linedoubled 480i sources are displayed, then it indicates that the TV has zero tolerance regarding line counts over DVI/HDMI. There's not much that can be done via fw apart from passing thru 240p as is (if it is really supported over digital inputs).
I'm actually not sure about digital. It's definitely compatible over analog through component. I don't have a way of testing 240p over digital input unfortunately.
Nrg

Post by Nrg »

deruji wrote:I just tried it out, it sort of works. It works with a card I had previously formatted with Win32disk, but not with another card I had formatted under linux.
Do you by chance know which settings need to be used to correctly format the card in linux?
There's no need to format the SD card first. 'dd' writes exact copy of the raw image to the SD card, meaning the firmware image contains all that's needed.

Sounds like your problem is elsewhere, probably the other card isn't supported by OSSC's earlier limited SD implementation. Once you manage to update to current firmware, then you're able to use more SD cards for future firmware upgrades (latest firmwares contain new and improved SD support which is compatible with more SD cards).
CobraKing

Post by CobraKing »

I would go ahead and upgrade to 0.75 regardless. You'll get improved SD card support and the profile saving ability.
virsago

Post by virsago »

CobraKing wrote:
I would go ahead and upgrade to 0.75 regardless. You'll get improved SD card support and the profile saving ability.
I plan to do that as soon as I can get my hands on an SD card that's compatible. If only they were easy to find...

Question: if I chain my OSSC to my Framemeister, will I have any of the sync/color accuracy/input lag issues of the Framemeister? Seems like that's the only way I'll be able to use line triple at this point.
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

virsago wrote:
I have, but weirdly enough I can't seem to get it to switch to PC mode, but only for the OSSC. I can do it for my Xbox One S and other consoles, but it doesn't work when I try it with my OSSC. Is there some setting on the scaler that might force my TV to recognize it as compatible with PC mode? As is, I'm not sure if there's a way to force it through the TV.
My only guess is TX mode should be set to DVI, although destinydoom (whom as you know has a very similar TV) at vgp forums already reported this didn't make any difference.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

virsago wrote:
CobraKing wrote:
I plan to do that as soon as I can get my hands on an SD card that's compatible. If only they were easy to find...

Question: if I chain my OSSC to my Framemeister, will I have any of the sync/color accuracy/input lag issues of the Framemeister? Seems like that's the only way I'll be able to use line triple at this point.
Only problem with the Framemeister comboing it with the OSSC would solve is the color noise of the AD process. All the other negatives of the Framemeister would be introduced, but you would also lose the ability to do integer scaling for the Framemeister, since the OSSC has no 240p passthrough.

So really not worth it for now, just use your Framemeister directly.
Zappyraccoon

Post by Zappyraccoon »

virsago wrote:
CobraKing wrote:

If you have the Framemeister and you still have the micro sd card that came with it that works perfectly to update the OSSC firmware. At least it's what I used. Then I just copied the Framemeister files back onto it.
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

virsago wrote:I plan to do that as soon as I can get my hands on an SD card that's compatible. If only they were easy to find...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HCGAFK/
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Shouldn't any 2GB or smaller micro SD work? I just grabbed a random 1GB micro SD that I had lying around (the one that I used in my R4 all those years ago, actually) and that worked.
deruji

Post by deruji »

Nrg wrote:
deruji wrote:I just tried it out, it sort of works. It works with a card I had previously formatted with Win32disk, but not with another card I had formatted under linux.
There's no need to format the SD card first. 'dd' writes exact copy of the raw image to the SD card, meaning the firmware image contains all that's needed.

Sounds like your problem is elsewhere, probably the other card isn't supported by OSSC's earlier limited SD implementation. Once you manage to update to current firmware, then you're able to use more SD cards for future firmware upgrades (latest firmwares contain new and improved SD support which is compatible with more SD cards).
This was with firmware 1.74. I've managed to create an image from the SD card that worked und used it to overwrite the other card. The ossc now recognizes the other card without problems.
Just writing to the SD card with dd did not work with any of the cards before.

At least now I have two useable SD cards, but it still remains a mystery what was wrong.
marqs

Post by marqs »

deruji wrote:This was with firmware 1.74. I've managed to create an image from the SD card that worked und used it to overwrite the other card. The ossc now recognizes the other card without problems.

At least now I have two useable SD cards, but it still remains a mystery what was wrong.
Did you "sync" before pulling SD card out of your Linux box?
virsago

Post by virsago »

Harrumph wrote:
virsago wrote:
My only guess is TX mode should be set to DVI, although destinydoom (whom as you know has a very similar TV) at vgp forums already reported this didn't make any difference.
Yeah, nothing unfortunately :/ Unless Samsung puts out a firmware update that magically fixes 240p compatibility over HDMI, I'm out of luck.

I'm curious to try out connecting my OSSC to my TV's component input to see if that works. Is that even possible?
orange808

Post by orange808 »

virsago wrote: Yeah, nothing unfortunately :/ Unless Samsung puts out a firmware update that magically fixes 240p compatibility over HDMI, I'm out of luck.

I'm curious to try out connecting my OSSC to my TV's component input to see if that works. Is that even possible?
There are plenty of cheap Chinese HDMI to component converters out there. The trouble with cheap Chinese HDMI converter boxes is that they don't have EDID management--and many displays refuse to accept the audio from them.

You could try spoofing "doctoring" the EDID to force the Samsung into PC mode. Seems like a longshot, though...

Have you thought about a DVDO? You might even grab a Micro from a seller with a good return policy.
We apologise for the inconvenience
deruji

Post by deruji »

marqs wrote:
deruji wrote:This was with firmware 1.74. I've managed to create an image from the SD card that worked und used it to overwrite the other card. The ossc now recognizes the other card without problems.

Did you "sync" before pulling SD card out of your Linux box?
I removed as it usual with eject/unmount. Interestingly, with the working cards I cannot determine what file format is being used now.
Nrg

Post by Nrg »

deruji wrote:I removed as it usual with eject/unmount. Interestingly, with the working cards I cannot determine what file format is being used now.
Hmm.. that sounds like you had the SD card *mounted* when you started (re)writing the card with dd. And then when dd was done, you unmounted the "previous" filesystem.. (which is now destroyed/overwritten). is that what happened?

.. because that will definitely corrupt the SD card contents. You can't have the SD card mounted when dd'ing to it! dd will overwrite whatever is on the SD card, so any previous filesystem will get overwritten by the firmware image.