OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ceramiclion

Re: DIY video digitizer & scandoubler

Post by ceramiclion »

marqs wrote:Those are usually signs of a low quality cable which has insufficient shielding, but you can try setting sync LPF to max and possibly reduce sync vth to see if it helps.
Hello.
I was checking it out today and followed ZellFs and your advice and got it working it right.
The OSSC is amazing. This is the definitive solution I had been searching for.
Thank you so much for your efforts. It is truly an achievement in the retro community.

PS:
When you mean "cord" do you mean power adapter? I am using a cellphone charger as the ac adapter. It is 5V 1A output.
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

I'm still waiting for my sync strike to see if it can get my neo geo mvs working
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

LDigital wrote:I'm still waiting for my sync strike to see if it can get my neo geo mvs working
Have you considered performing a ~1% overclock so that the MVS outputs a standard 60Hz signal like the NG HDMI mod does: http://hackaday.com/2015/02/13/hdmi-aud ... o-geo-mvs/ In a number of ways you essentially eliminate the need to use the OSSC if all you're interested in is 480p output. A sync strike won't perform a 59.1Hz to 60.0Hz conversion. The MVS has been problematic even back in the day for XRGB-3 B1 mode users (many displays wouldn't sync, or have unstable sync).
KaBoomPow

Post by KaBoomPow »

KaBoomPow wrote:Is there any chance we can get the gerbers for the board? I'd like to put one together and avoid the long wait. I'd imagine that with this being an open-source project, they should be made available along with the software.
Bump. Any idea where I can find the gerber files or schematic?
meneerbeer

Post by meneerbeer »

RGB32E wrote:
LDigital wrote:I'm still waiting for my sync strike to see if it can get my neo geo mvs working
Have you considered performing a ~1% overclock so that the MVS outputs a standard 60Hz signal like the NG HDMI mod does: http://hackaday.com/2015/02/13/hdmi-aud ... o-geo-mvs/ In a number of ways you essentially eliminate the need to use the OSSC if all you're interested in is 480p output. A sync strike won't perform a 59.1Hz to 60.0Hz conversion. The MVS has been problematic even back in the day for XRGB-3 B1 mode users (many displays wouldn't sync, or have unstable sync).
I believe the Neo Geo MVS outputs 264 lines per field. Instead of more common 262, 262.5, or 263. I think this is more likely the reason why it is not working.
LDigital

DIY video digitizer & scandoubler

Post by LDigital »

Yes there is definitely more vertical picture than standard because on my old framemeister I would need to change a setting (can't remember name) by an increment of 1 to get the scanlines right when using the mvs. is this something that can be sorted with a firmware update? It's the only thing holding me back from declaring the ossc perfect at this point
marqs

Post by marqs »

KaBoomPow wrote:
KaBoomPow wrote:Is there any chance we can get the gerbers for the board? I'd like to put one together and avoid the long wait. I'd imagine that with this being an open-source project, they should be made available along with the software.
You can find schematic here. Regarding gerber files, please contact me directly.

About DIY kits: I've finally finished sending e-mail to all people on the original reservation list - if somebody hasn't received the mail, contact me asap. There are still a couple unclaimed DIY kits left so if anybody (preferably from Europe) is interested, please send a PM. New DIY kits (including special parts only) are also soon available from VGP.
Avrel

Post by Avrel »

Hey, would it be possible to implement a detection and automatic switching for the AV1 input (scart) between RGBs and RGsB. Would be great for the PS2 when going from the menu in 480i to the game in 480p.
Not necessary of course but would be nice to have.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

uhh, that's a good idea. Should be easy, right? Just let any 15khz signal default to RGBs and any 31khz default to RGsB on that port.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

I would like to see that too, though when I get a PC Engine and Saturn I'll run out of RGB ports and have to run my PS2 on component anyway :(
RocketBelt

Post by RocketBelt »

RGBs/RGsB auto switch would be an awesome feature.
Perhaps auto switch could be enabled by a menu option.
deltronik

Post by deltronik »

Has anyone else done much testing with an NESRGB?

I am an encountering some odd sync issues causing horizontal shifting of scanlines and sometimes a wave or ripple at the edge of the screen depending on the game. Sometimes the shifting seems to be ocurring on scanlines where sprites are moving, but it even occurs a bit on the static title screen in TwinBee 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgzKZma ... e=youtu.be

I've already linked this Xevious video earlier, but wanted to see if I could get some more eyes on it and see if anyone else with an NESRGB is seeing anything similar.
Joelepain

Post by Joelepain »

One feature that could be great and easy to implement is an option in the menu to set a default input.
So that every time you power up the OSSC it boots directly with this input active, and you don't have to grab the remote control, or cycle through all the inputs with the physical input button.
fafangus

Post by fafangus »

marqs wrote:
fafangus wrote:
I've got problem with 480i signal (only tested saturn for the moment), the picture is cut in 2, some tips for that ?
Is that using AV3 or AV1, and what's reported if you press 'info'?
lol didn't know there was source info, I'll tell you what it says

Tested in the two inputs (rgbs, yuv for AV1, rgbhv for AV3), maybe it's causing by the CII, but the PS2 is showing her menu in 480i & the pal DQ8 game in 576i, tonight I'll try directly to TV
On Saturn, I have tested DBZ shin (240p to 480i when loading the fight), Digital Pinball (576i), and VF2(480i title screen & ingame & 240p characters selection)

Edit : ok connected roughtly the saturn to the OSSC > works fine !! Great 480i & 576i !!
now I've got to find a way to hook the audio to my setup xp

Bonus : https://youtu.be/YJbu3wtf3mk
Sonic 2 multiplayer ^^
Now I pass every signal with AV1 with no problems (not re-tested the neogeo yet, but in my memories it was good), hooking directly the console to the av1, or hooking the sync strike / xsync1 to av1 (by passing by an extron matrix rgbs, so I could do a vga>scart with no particular loose)

Av3 gives me some little sync issues with some console (don't remember the rgb used) but it's like a 0.5 sec desynchro, and resynchro as fast...sometimes playing, sometimes when powering on the console, maybe that the fact of the CII that is checking the resolution/freq

Another trick I use with the fabulous OSSC : before I was hooking my 480p signals (RGBHV/YUV) directly to the CII, yesterday I have tested passing by the OSSC, and the results are great (ps2 & Dreamcast), there are a little transition when passing from 480i to 480p but nothing embarrassing, the picture is more clear and colors are more "colourfull", sharper etc...

I'll have to bypass my xeselect to see if I could get a better picture...

Now all my 3 input are hooked :
Av 1 : for 240p/480i
Av 2 : for yuv 480i/480p
Av 3 : for signals that gives me a headhache (like my amiga 1200 ^^)

Tested : (all with success)

NTSC console :
Saturn / sfc / megadrive 1 / pce / neogeo / ps1 / ps2 / extron emotia (line x3 give me a little a rounded picture at the top, line x2 perfectly fine)

Pal console :
Amiga 1200 / Dreamcast / megadrive 1

Have to test (when I've got the time lol) :
Atari ST, 3do (NTSC), supergun (jamma / naomi / mvs...), nesrgb, n64 (NTSC), amiga cd32, wii (yuv), gamecube (yuv)...

For now the OSSC give me full satisfaction (and with the 480p trick maybe more)
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

480p trick?

Also does anyone know if there is a way to make Wii 480p x2 into 16:9? My tv aspect alterations in this mode totally ruin the scanlines
fafangus

Post by fafangus »

LDigital wrote:480p trick?

Also does anyone know if there is a way to make Wii 480p x2 into 16:9? My tv aspect alterations in this mode totally ruin the scanlines
No lol just my says in my setup, I wanted to say that 480p (from 480p source ps2/dc etc...) is not interfering, on the contrary, for me it's even better than hooking directly the CII (it was already great)

At first I didn't intend to use the OSSC for 480p signals, but testing it, it's really good
Last edited by fafangus on Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Joelepain wrote:One feature that could be great and easy to implement is an option in the menu to set a default input.
So that every time you power up the OSSC it boots directly with this input active, and you don't have to grab the remote control, or cycle through all the inputs with the physical input button.
Or default to last used?
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Elrinth

Post by Elrinth »

got mine working now, but I'm not getting any audio with this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/282055740467?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

emphatic wrote:
Joelepain wrote:One feature that could be great and easy to implement is an option in the menu to set a default input.
Or default to last used?
This has aleady been requested and put on the wishlist
see videogameperfection forums
jii

Post by jii »

marqs wrote:About DIY kits: I've finally finished sending e-mail to all people on the original reservation list - if somebody hasn't received the mail, contact me asap. There are still a couple unclaimed DIY kits left so if anybody (preferably from Europe) is interested, please send a PM. New DIY kits (including special parts only) are also soon available from VGP.
I can't PM u for some reason, but if theres still unclaimed kits I'm interested. And I'm from Finland.
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

Is anyone able to get alternating scanlines on 480i content to be spaced evenly? Mine are definitely not even so it leaves a recurrent thicker line across the screen as a result of alternating the uneven spacing. It's difficult to pick up on camera thoImage
marqs

Post by marqs »

Avrel wrote:Hey, would it be possible to implement a detection and automatic switching for the AV1 input (scart) between RGBs and RGsB. Would be great for the PS2 when going from the menu in 480i to the game in 480p.
Not necessary of course but would be nice to have.
Fudoh wrote:uhh, that's a good idea. Should be easy, right? Just let any 15khz signal default to RGBs and any 31khz default to RGsB on that port.
It's possible but not entirely trivial. Both sync inputs cannot be monitored simutaneously, so there could be an automatic switch between the inputs if no sync is detected for e.g. 2 seconds.
Harrumph wrote:
emphatic wrote:
Or default to last used?
This has aleady been requested and put on the wishlist
see videogameperfection forums
I'll add that to wiki too.
deltronik wrote:Has anyone else done much testing with an NESRGB?

I am an encountering some odd sync issues causing horizontal shifting of scanlines and sometimes a wave or ripple at the edge of the screen depending on the game. Sometimes the shifting seems to be ocurring on scanlines where sprites are moving, but it even occurs a bit on the static title screen in TwinBee 3.
This symptom is usually caused by unoptimal sampling rate or jitter in sync edges / digitizer circuitry. The magnitude looks much worse than I've seen on SNES and PlayChoice modded Famicom, so I wonder how your NESRGB has sync wired (should use Y instead of CS# for normal scart output). Also, have you tried adjusting analog sync vth setting?
LDigital wrote:Is anyone able to get alternating scanlines on 480i content to be spaced evenly? Mine are definitely not even so it leaves a recurrent thicker line across the screen as a result of alternating the uneven spacing. It's difficult to pick up on camera tho
It has to be the TV or VP you are using - OSSC outputs 480 active lines of which 240 get masked so there is no way it could show them unevenly without looking totally off.
marqs

Post by marqs »

jii wrote:
marqs wrote:About DIY kits: I've finally finished sending e-mail to all people on the original reservation list - if somebody hasn't received the mail, contact me asap. There are still a couple unclaimed DIY kits left so if anybody (preferably from Europe) is interested, please send a PM. New DIY kits (including special parts only) are also soon available from VGP.
I can't PM u for some reason, but if theres still unclaimed kits I'm interested. And I'm from Finland.
Activation might take a few days from registration. See if you got my PM.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

It's possible but not entirely trivial. Both sync inputs cannot be monitored simutaneously, so there could be an automatic switch between the inputs if no sync is detected for e.g. 2 seconds.
can't you use the same method you're using the read the signal for purposes of the info display? If the info display can react to a 15 to 31khz switch, you could simply take this reading and switch the sync based on this, couldn't you?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

@LDigital: yepp, definitely the display. What display are you looking at?
Dookie1985

Post by Dookie1985 »

marqs wrote:
KaBoomPow wrote:
You can find schematic here. Regarding gerber files, please contact me directly.

About DIY kits: I've finally finished sending e-mail to all people on the original reservation list - if somebody hasn't received the mail, contact me asap. There are still a couple unclaimed DIY kits left so if anybody (preferably from Europe) is interested, please send a PM. New DIY kits (including special parts only) are also soon available from VGP.
So... I've been lurking on these forums for a while without signing up, but found myself with a question to ask about the DIY kits. I'd say I'm fairly good with a soldering iron, but the most advanced I've gone is doing an RGB mod on an N64. With that in mind, how difficult are the DIY kits to put together? I love the idea of modding and building electronics, I just haven't done enough of it!
marqs

Post by marqs »

Fudoh wrote:
can't you use the same method you're using the read the signal for purposes of the info display? If the info display can react to a 15 to 31khz switch, you could simply take this reading and switch the sync based on this, couldn't you?
Green channel and scart sync pin are routed to separate sync multiplexer inputs of the digitizer chip. Switching between 15kHz<->31kHz works only when the sync comes from one input.

Regarding PS2, I recommend an internal mod which disables SOG and outputs c-sync (or alternatively h/v sync) for everyone who has compatible fat model. It makes component cables and switching obsolete which also helps usage with other processors like Framemeister.
eric90000

Post by eric90000 »

Does the OSSC have any issues with PAL 50hz consoles modded to run NTSC games in 60hz? In particular I'm wondering if I should just get an NTSC PS1 console for use with the PSIO, or would my PAL console running NTSC games achieve the exact same result?

I've seen examples where a 50/60hz modded PAL Sega Mega Drive doesn't truly run in 60hz, just very close to it which causes issues on some displays and even lag on side-scrolling games etc. Does this apply to every PAL console modded for 60hz with the OSSC?

I think it was actually BuckoA51 who talked about this in a YouTube vid.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Switching between 15kHz<->31kHz works only when the sync comes from one input.
what about just defaulting to SoG when NO sync is present on the Scart sync pin ? Iirc the PS2 disables the composite video output when switching into 31khz mode.
zeruel85

Post by zeruel85 »

marqs wrote:Regarding PS2, I recommend an internal mod which disables SOG and outputs c-sync (or alternatively h/v sync) for everyone who has compatible fat model. It makes component cables and switching obsolete which also helps usage with other processors like Framemeister.
Could you please provide a link or something else that explain this kinf of mod? I'm really interested in it. Thanks!