OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
bobrocks95

Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

Post by bobrocks95 »

RocketBelt wrote:I bought a passive dvi splitter cable to use with an early dvi model OSSC, hoping to get the same picture on my monitor and capture device.
However it has not worked, using the dvi splitter cable I don't get a picture on either the monitor or the capture device. Without the splitter cable both work with the OSSC (separately of course).
Where have I gone wrong here and what should I be using instead?
You very likely need an active splitter.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
marqs

Post by marqs »

It hasn't been mentioned here yet, but there is now v1.xx series beta firmware available which includes a codebase cleanup and rewritten sync logic that bypasses video ADC processing as much as possible to avoid many of its issues. A small hardware mod is required for the latter to work so the update is not for everybody (also there are not really new features). More information on the new firmware is found on this thread.
Thomago

Post by Thomago »

Wow, version 1.x. Nothing for me, but thank you so much for the continued support!
underage

Post by underage »

A question about line multiplication of interlaced resolutions.
Is it possible to multiply 480i to 2400i with the line5x mode of the OSSC?
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

You can triple it to 1440i or 4x to 960p with bob deinterlacing. I haven't heard of a display that works with the 1440i mode though.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
tongshadow

Post by tongshadow »

CRT Monitor shouldnt have a problem displaying that, as long as it's within the horizontal/vertical range it will sync to virtually anything.
No point in going that high on a CRT monitor though, you're just making everything more pixelated. Native linedoubled 240p/480i looks much better.
underage

Post by underage »

bobrocks95 wrote:You can triple it to 1440i or 4x to 960p with bob deinterlacing. I haven't heard of a display that works with the 1440i mode though.
Why wouldn't 5x work for 2400i though? Is there something unique about the 3x mode for interlaced, or is it a hardware limitation?
I don't have an OSSC yet, so I can't try, but 1200p/2400i would be within the range of most VGA CRTs.
marqs

Post by marqs »

While 2400i could be possible, interleaving of the fields remains line-based with field heights being 5 times the original. In other words, it probably wouldn't look very natural.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

tongshadow wrote: Native linedoubled (...) 480i looks much better.
I can't agree. On a PC CRT, simply passing on the fields with blank scanlines as a 480p signal (and bypassing any meaningful deinterlacing) looks better to my eye.

It's a great feature. The OSSC is a lovely line multiplayer.
We apologise for the inconvenience
tongshadow

Post by tongshadow »

Yes, that's what I meant. Looks pretty much like how a high TVL monitor displays 480i.
underage

Post by underage »

marqs wrote:While 2400i could be possible, interleaving of the fields remains line-based with field heights being 5 times the original. In other words, it probably wouldn't look very natural.
Could you elaborate a bit, I'm not too familiar with the subject. Field height, does this refer to total number of lines in a field?
What would the unnatural look of 5x interlaced result from? When outputting to a CRT without deinterlacing, would this still be relevant?

I don't like very apparent scanlines or individual fields being easily discernible, so I wanted to have a very large screen HD CRT (1200 TVL, 110 kHz) mimic the softer look of a consumer-level SD CRT (~240 TVL), and was hoping I could achieve such an effect with 5x line multiplation of both progressive & interlaced content.
tongshadow

Post by tongshadow »

Anyone else still using the OSSC with newer TVs?
It's hard to find info about how this device behaves on the new QD-OLED and QLED models, like the Samsung S90C, Sony A80L and Samsung QN90C. There's alot of solid info for the LG OLED models, Cory's video is a great reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K2tSrnxqVk

However, there's almost no info on other brands and models.
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

Got an OSSC in a trade, remote was missing. Picked up the same remote it shipped with, the Chunghop L336, but can’t for the life of me figure out how to get it working. The bundled instructions are worthless. I hold down “1” on the OSSC while power cycling to enter programming mode, hold down “TV” on the remote for three seconds and I’m lost from there. No idea how to enter programming mode.

There’s this thread

viewtopic.php?t=64217

Where OP figures it out and doesn’t post the info. :x
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

SGGG2 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:02 pm Got an OSSC in a trade, remote was missing. Picked up the same remote it shipped with, the Chunghop L336, but can’t for the life of me figure out how to get it working. The bundled instructions are worthless. I hold down “1” on the OSSC while power cycling to enter programming mode, hold down “TV” on the remote for three seconds and I’m lost from there.
How’s this? https://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/OSS ... trol_setup
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

That would work, if I knew the key to enter programming mode on the remote. :P Found an infographic that says it’s the “menu” key, but no dice.

EDIT: You have to clone a working remote, otherwise it’s impossible. LOL

https://videogameperfection.com/forums/ ... -the-ossc/
marqs

Post by marqs »

tongshadow wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:24 am Anyone else still using the OSSC with newer TVs?
It's hard to find info about how this device behaves on the new QD-OLED and QLED models, like the Samsung S90C, Sony A80L and Samsung QN90C. There's alot of solid info for the LG OLED models, Cory's video is a great reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K2tSrnxqVk

However, there's almost no info on other brands and models.
Which exact behaviour you mean? Compatibility of some higher LineX modes or stability with problematic sources like SNES?
SGGG2 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:24 pmEDIT: You have to clone a working remote, otherwise it’s impossible. LOL
Not really, you just need to have a remote that generates NEC-format IR codes and you can then bind them on functions on OSSC side. A vanilla L336 remote is blank and does not transmit any codes.
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

That’s what I meant, poor choice of words on my part. Unfortunately, I’ve tried 9 different remotes and the OSSC hasn’t registered commands from any of them. The LED stays green and the assignment menu doesn’t advance. I’ve verified they’re operational through a camera.
Link83

Post by Link83 »

You could buy an original replacement OSSC remote from here?:-
https://videogameperfection.com/product ... -for-ossc/
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

Thanks, but I really didn’t want to wait. Ordered a NEC remote and cloned the functions over. I actually found one remote that worked but it doesn’t have enough buttons to complete the setup.
marqs

Post by marqs »

SGGG2 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:44 pm Thanks, but I really didn’t want to wait. Ordered a NEC remote and cloned the functions over. I actually found one remote that worked but it doesn’t have enough buttons to complete the setup.
Hopefully that works - NEC IR format is something they developed decades ago but it doesn't mean all their modern devices use it.
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

Everything went well! :) Is there anyway we could get an “audio input” option to route audio in via the scart port with a cheap adapter when using other video inputs? I have a DVI of model, but this would be useful on the HDMI revisions, too.

https://www.amazon.com/Haokiang-Scart-F ... B07VGVZGJT
Hackcell

Post by Hackcell »

Helluva post!
Legos, H0 model trains, Pinball and Arcades.

Costa Rica, ¡Pura vida!
gabrielgamer99

Post by gabrielgamer99 »

marqs wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:55 pm
maxtherabbit wrote:
Sirotaca wrote:I think I might be seeing the same thing. It's proving tricky to pin down exactly what situations it occurs in, but it affects multiple consoles and doesn't happen on 0.83 with the same settings.
Spoiler
Notice the weird bright pixels in the morphing ball, and there's a spurious pixel in the pillar below as well.
yep looks like the same issue, I suggest a reversion back to the fitter seed used in .83
Unfortunately it doesn't work like that. Any change to the RTL code will make the previous fitter seed selection irrelevant and you need to start compila iterations from scratch. I recompiled the fw with another seed that almost meets timing, feel free to try if that helps (link).
Having this same issue, with the green pixels showing up on line 5x mode. would this firmware linked in the post be available for download for me to try on my OSSC?
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

The new firmware v 1.06 adds line 6x (1440p) for 240p sources as detailed here:
https://videogameperfection.com/2023/10 ... ter-issue/

I did the required mod on my 1.6 OSSC and it is working to some extend. I do find that the phase settings when using 320x240 optimized is widely unstable and adjusting just about any settings on the OSSC can cause the phase to break making the picture very unstable.

I haven’t messed with it much, but I assume it’s just a weird bug.
marqs

Post by marqs »

Konsolkongen wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:07 pmI haven’t messed with it much, but I assume it’s just a weird bug.
Yes, there seems to be a bug where phase setting (more specifically coarse part of it) updates only after another setting is changed. I'll fix that for v1.07.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

marqs wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:07 am
Konsolkongen wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:07 pmI haven’t messed with it much, but I assume it’s just a weird bug.
Yes, there seems to be a bug where phase setting (more specifically coarse part of it) updates only after another setting is changed. I'll fix that for v1.07.
Thank you :)

I also noticed that YCbCr444 (limited range) appears to be broken on the new firmware as well:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 41d3a7c148&

And I noticed that I got some flickering vertical lines in the image. It appeared to be a problem with the HDMI connection as it disappeared after I wiggled the cable a bit. Could a bad HDMI connection cause damage to my TV?

Usually I run the OSSC through an HDMI 1.4 switch but 1440p doesn't work through that. That would hopefully work as a protection should something bad happen.
tongshadow

Post by tongshadow »

Already posted over VGP forums, but wiill again just in case anyone else has the same issue. Passthrough 480i might be broken on some displays.
marqs

Post by marqs »

The reported issues should be now fixed in v1.07 firmware.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

marqs wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:20 pm The reported issues should be now fixed in v1.07 firmware.
I was planning on doing the hardware mod on my 1.6 device this weekend. Stupid question: should I update the firmware BEFORE or AFTER the hardware mod, or does it matter?
marqs

Post by marqs »

SavagePencil wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:35 pm
marqs wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:20 pm The reported issues should be now fixed in v1.07 firmware.
I was planning on doing the hardware mod on my 1.6 device this weekend. Stupid question: should I update the firmware BEFORE or AFTER the hardware mod, or does it matter?
It does not matter.