R-Gear (Rayforce sequel) uncovered...

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BIL

Re: R-Gear (Rayforce sequel) uncovered...

Post by BIL »

I really just wanna see the RG2's chain lightning mechanic in topdown 2D. Especially as a big fan of Siter Skain's scintillating spiritual sequel Kamui, whose lockon works more like Souky's Web, but is still Erectric AF. I like Raystorm just fine, all this said, but it's simply not as tight as the aforementioned three's conventional topdown.

Also that's a badass boss/midboss ship design. Independently-animated gun turrets are one of my big things! Don't mind at all if this is brief, it'll be great to finally get some hands-on time with it after all these years.

Souky's Web, the classic children's story of talking animals and scorching death from above.
parallaxscroll2

Post by parallaxscroll2 »

So, are we gonna see something new anytime soon ?
phase3

Post by phase3 »

The discussion here about the anti sharing mentality of the Japanese collectors community reminds me a bit of something I read in an article in Retro Gamer magazine a while back.

It was about how over at Tokugawa Corporate there was plans for a mass dump of a bunch of retro Japanese computer games, but then one of the western members tried to profit from it. This annoyed the Japanese enthusiasts because they saw it as a form of betrayal, so they split off, taking with them a shitload of games and related media. Now all that stuff is hidden on obscure Japanese file sharing sites with the data disguised as jpegs, or isn't on the internet at all.

It's a shame really. But, in my opinion, one person's supposed betrayal shouldn't warrant the total suppression of something with such interesting, and perhaps even important, cultural value.

EDIT: Changed phrasing for clarity
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

rentalcar wrote:The discussion here about the anti sharing mentality of the Japanese collectors community reminds me a bit of something I read in an article in Retro Gamer magazine a while back.

It was about how over at Tokugawa Corporate there was plans for a mass dump of a bunch of retro Japanese computer games, but then one of the western members tried to profit from it. This annoyed the Japanese enthusiasts because they saw it as a form of betrayal, so they split off, taking with them a shitload of games and related media. Now all that stuff is hidden on obscure Japanese file sharing sites with the data disguised as jpegs, or isn't on the internet at all.

It's a shame really. But, in my opinion, one person's supposed betrayal shouldn't warrant the total suppression of something with such interesting, and perhaps even important, cultural value.

EDIT: Changed phrasing for clarity
Pisses me off. Abandoned games shouldn't be sold for profit, unless it's by a licensed company (i.e what GOG does). OTOH, the Japanese enthusiasts shouldn't let one dumbass jerk ruin it for everyone else.

There is a big difference between dumping an old OOP game vs. a recent one (something currently in print or available for digital purchase).

As for R-Gear, I wish 3D hadn't caught on THAT fast. Thunder Force V would also have been better as a 2D game IMO. Just imagine TF V as a 4M RAM cart game with good 2D sprites and intensity to truly rival TF IV.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
monouchi

Post by monouchi »

gameoverDude wrote:Thunder Force V would also have been better as a 2D game IMO. Just imagine TF V as a 4M RAM cart game with good 2D sprites and intensity to truly rival TF IV.
Amen to this.
TF continuing in 2D would have been amazing, especially considering how TFIV looked.
kaizo shiro

Post by kaizo shiro »

I wonder if it would be an alternative prequel to rayforce??? (instead of raycrisis)
CAVE making a VR game based on daifukkatsu?
SIGN ME AND THE REST OF THE STG FANBASE IN!!!
kaizo shiro

Post by kaizo shiro »

Spoiler
the earth did blew up the last time i booted up RAYFORCE so a prequel is my best guess for where the timeline goes,,
whats ur theories upon R-GEAR's storyline???
CAVE making a VR game based on daifukkatsu?
SIGN ME AND THE REST OF THE STG FANBASE IN!!!
qmish

Post by qmish »

So, wil we ever have a chance to MAME those 2.5 stages of sprite goodness one day? :mrgreen: