Metal Slug 3 coming to Playstation 3/4 and Vita

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
neorichieb1971

Metal Slug 3 coming to Playstation 3/4 and Vita

Post by neorichieb1971 »

This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
evil_ash_xero

Re: Metal Slug 3 coming to Playstation 3/4 and Vita

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Well, since no one has replied, I guess...Hey, it's good that they're porting it. Doesn't look like it has any smeary filters. Hopefully there isn't a bunch of input lag.
Seems weird that it's only the one game. They should have like a MS 1, 2, X, and 3 pack. How hard could it be?

But having the PS2 version, and then being able to play it on MAME....not very interested. I would assume most folks on this forum feel similarly.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

evil_ash_xero wrote: But having the PS2 version, and then being able to play it on MAME....not very interested. I would assume most folks on this forum feel similarly.
Having the Neo emulator on Vita and being able to play 1-5 of the arcade originals makes this pretty irrelevant.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I suppose there are enough people in the world wanting an official release to warrant its existence.

I would rather playmore use the engine to make some new IP.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
system11

Post by system11 »

3? Yuck. I'd rather see a port of the first and second games (with the slowdown removed from II).

Also - fuck X.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
yojo!

Post by yojo! »

system11 wrote:3? Yuck. I'd rather see a port of the first and second games (with the slowdown removed from II).

Also - fuck X.
isn't X just 2 w/o slowdown and reshuffled stages
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

system11 wrote:3? Yuck. I'd rather see a port of the first and second games (with the slowdown removed from II).

Also - fuck X.
A lot of people don't like X but I'm unsure of the finer details as to why. Feel free to elaborate.

3 is stellar though, it's just basically your supreme hardcore gamer MS: evil tough to earn the clear.

But all MS discussion rendered null by Saurus' original and still best of the entire series. They managed the ultimate balanced adventure SNK couldn't quite achieve.

Xyga

Post by Xyga »

So... MS3 in glorious 2xSaI or Super Eagle ? Bilinear if we're lucky.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
system11

Post by system11 »

Skykid wrote:A lot of people don't like X but I'm unsure of the finer details as to why. Feel free to elaborate.
Well it's 2, but some areas were re-coloured poorly, others were chopped and changed, it was made much longer and turned into a tedious slog through 70 areas each containing 70 aliens by the end.

2 was really nice, just spoiled by slowdown.

I never liked 3, too long and many early sections with enemies who take too many bullets. It's like the euroslug.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
Furry Fox Jet Pilot

Post by Furry Fox Jet Pilot »

I would've preferred Metal Slug 5, that's the best one, gameplay wise and it had the best soundtrack. 3 is my least favorite, because it's just too long and I didn't really like the themes, and level designs. Lots of random scenarios and enemies you fight.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

What I disliked about 3 (at the dawn of my emulation field day) was that it seemed like designed for 2 player or else.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Furry Fox Jet Pilot

Post by Furry Fox Jet Pilot »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:What I disliked about 3 (at the dawn of my emulation field day) was that it seemed like designed for 2 player or else.
Are you talking about the difficulty? I have a friend who can 1 life clear the entire game, I've seen it in person, and it's truly an impressive sight.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

It was a long time ago. Having credit-fed right through 1 and 2, 3 felt like designed for co-op, is all.
Many sections where the zombies just won't let it go.
(When the 3 cab hit these shores, I was still undone with 1 and soon after, everything was gone.)
The way out is cut off

TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Why only release the one game? Tidy up Anthology and put that out again instead.

That said, Metal Slug 3 is awesome until that shmup segment and final stage which just makes it far too long. It's a fun ride credit feeding but there is no way I'd want to take on a 1CC of that game.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Aren't 1, 2 and X playable as PSX versions? That would explain a lot.
(I thought 1 was pretty boss on PSX back in the day. Credit-free 2 player, whoa.)
The way out is cut off

yojo!

Post by yojo! »

2 was never released on PS1, only 1,X.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Xyga wrote:So... MS3 in glorious 2xSaI or Super Eagle ? Bilinear if we're lucky.
I thought that was just 360? I read M2 did a lot of the NeoGeo emulation for PS3, so if that's the case here, I highly doubt it would be stuck with a lame filter.
1 and 2 are on PS3, but for some reason aren't compatible with Vita, tough X for some reason is. I also noticed that the PSP version of the Anthology is compatible with Vita.
Last edited by BrianC on Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gct

Post by gct »

Skykid wrote:Saurus
Nazca?

I also like 1 and 2 the most. Again, so many options already for playing these games. I still do not own a Vita yet but I think I would also do the CFW thing. Runs nicely enough on my PSP-3000.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

BrianC wrote:I thought that was just 360? I read M2 did a lot of the NeoGeo emulation for PS3, so if that's the case here, I highly doubt it would be stuck with a lame filter.
You're right the PS3 ports are supposed to have much better scaling and filtering options.
So yes let's hope it's M2 on the job again.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

How's the bare-chested, machinegun-wielding guy called? I think he scored more than one reoccurence after 1... He and his speech samples.
The way out is cut off

Pretas
Banned User

Post by Pretas »

So this isn't going to be part of Neo-Geo Station?
Doctor Butler

Post by Doctor Butler »

4 was always my favorite.

I'd love to have a port of &, though. I'm pretty sure that was a DS exclusive, or some shit.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Doctor Butler wrote: I'd love to have a port of &, though. I'm pretty sure that was a DS exclusive, or some shit.
You mean 7? That's on the PSP (playable on Vita), and XBLA as Metal Slug XX. Not sure of the differences aside from added 2 player to XBLA, though. The name suggests a remix ala Metal Slug X, but I'm not sure if it has as many changes as that game.

edit: Found a list of differences.
Last edited by BrianC on Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pretas
Banned User

Post by Pretas »

Leona was added to XX as a DLC character. She throws explosive earrings instead of grenades and can use Moon Slasher. There aren't many other differences from 7 besides the increase in resolution and the removal of slowdown.

Multiplayer is also in the PSP version of XX via ad-hoc.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

system11 wrote: I never liked 3, too long and many early sections with enemies who take too many bullets. It's like the euroslug.
Enemies (well, really only bosses) only seem to take too many bullets at first. But once you understand the fights (particularly the second one) it becomes a non issue since you find ways to speed kill them. On later bosses (stage 3 and onward) you start receiving regular weapon drops from the sky, which completely negates the issue.

I agree about the length of the game, but only because of the final stage. Outside of the last stage, the game is excellent. Great level design, pacing, fun set pieces, etc. But that last stage man, that last stage...to say it overstays its welcome is a tremendous understatement. Even if you cut out that incredibly boring shmup section (easily the worst part for me), it could still do with some serious trimming. It's such a pain that even with a stage select on the ports, it's ridiculously annoying to practice and memorize, since you might have to play through near 15 minutes just to practice a 2 minute section at the end. It's like it was built with mame save stating for practice in mind.

It's really a shame, because with a better paced conclusion and a few tweaks here and there it really could have been the best game in the series in my opinion.
Obiwanshinobi wrote:What I disliked about 3 (at the dawn of my emulation field day) was that it seemed like designed for 2 player or else.
I'd actually argue otherwise. 2 is much, much harder with two players. Bosses have more hp, and attacks that are aimed or otherwise static become a lot more unpredictable since they seem to flip a coin on which player to target, something that can seriously ruin your day.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

gct wrote:
Nazca?
Wups, you're rght. Getting crossed lines with Shock Troopers.

Yep, I think Nazca did a finer job at MS than SNK managed at any point since.

boagman

Post by boagman »

Skykid wrote:
gct wrote:
Nazca?
Wups, you're rght. Getting crossed lines with Shock Troopers.

Yep, I think Nazca did a finer job at MS than SNK managed at any point since.
Wasn't Nazca "absorbed" by SNK, though?
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

boagman wrote:
Skykid wrote: Yep, I think Nazca did a finer job at MS than SNK managed at any point since.
Wasn't Nazca "absorbed" by SNK, though?
Not 100% sure of the story but I think MS was Nazca's last ditch attempt not to fold and it wasn't enough. So SNK got a portion of the team and assimilated them for future Slugs, but I don't know if Nazca entire was appropriated by SNK. There's a reason why MS2 is plagued with horrific slowdown, the most likely being SNK used their own coders and couldn't figure out how Nazca got the action running so smoothly.

Either way, in game design terms I think original MS has the edge. And it's not filled with Aliens.

NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:How's the bare-chested, machinegun-wielding guy called? I think he scored more than one reoccurence after 1... He and his speech samples.
His name is Allen O'Neil.
Pretas wrote:So this isn't going to be part of Neo-Geo Station?
Dunno, they didn't mention it, so I guess not, but at least if not so, they might trophies and stuff, lol.

And yeah, a whole run of no-missing MS3 isn't a walk in the park, though already got all the achs from the 360 version, hopefully never again, but probably bound to do it again if they insert it as some trophies unto the PS ports. At least I got lucky, though it was on the Easy difficulty, more or less. >_>

And yes, I think some of Nazca's crew were absorbed into SNK, well, for that while, of course.
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
Bloodreign

Post by Bloodreign »

I've got Metal Slug on Saturn, Metal Slug X on PS1, Metal Slug XX on PSP, and Metal Slug Anthology on PS2, I'm good with what I have.