New machine for MAME SH3

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
gray117

Re: New machine for MAME SH3

Post by gray117 »

gave it a waggle recently - must amend - although you can use multicore option I don't think this driver takes advantage of it - although it may offload some tiny core mame operations.

Seem to run fine on both machines I tried (i5 and amd x6, both around 3.4mhz, or ghz if I could write)... of course not super great accuracy, sound seemed a bit off (?)... but better than I expected, given some reports... I'll defer to experts on accuracy.

... again ssd is nice for general usage/accessibility, but nothing for emu [tbh gaming wise best for streaming open world games and big texture sets] - again speaks to whether you're doing this for more than one reason ... or just how much cash you've got :)
Last edited by gray117 on Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

I hope your CPUs are running 1000 times faster than that! :mrgreen:

MAME is mostly single-threaded so there is very little overhead that the multicore uses. I've never seen a super detailed report about this (i.e., is there any lag from switching information from one CPU thread to another? - probably not, but likewise the overhead tasks that can be offloaded to another thread seem to take up a proportionally smaller part of MAME's running time as the emulation itself becomes more complex) but you can have a glance at the old MAMEdev entry on it.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

I would assume the switching of threads from the actual CPU's perspective happens in a matter of micro or even pico seconds. The implementation of that in the coding of MAME is a different story though, but it's entirely possible to make it extremely fast. I don't think many programs that take advantage of multiple cores do much switching between them anyway (though I'm no computer engineer), they'll just allocate certain functions to be handled by different cores. For example, in Virtua Fighter on the Saturn (which had a dual-core CPU in the form of two separate packages, unlike modern ones that combine multiple cores into a single package), each core handled one fighter.

Either way, MAME is not an emulator that benefits much from having a multi-core CPU. PCSX2 or Dolphin certainly do, but not MAME. Of course, I don't know of any decent CPUs these days that aren't at least dual-core.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Saying that the time to switch is small is probably not the most important part of the story, because any independent program threads which can share resources have to deal with contention issues - where two things seek to use the same address simultaneously. This is a problem first formulated by Edsger Djikstra. In some cases the modern implementations of solutions can actually take a long time to clear (I've seen "milliseconds" being referenced as the amount of time it takes a spinlock to clear through, for example). As a guess, the main game execution thread of MAME benefits on the whole from offloading some rendering and polling tasks to another core - but as this thread explains this idea hasn't been well executed so far (in fact Haze suggests not using multithreading with MAME at all!) As usual, the main issue is not so much speed but rather safety and troubleshooting - and of course in this case possibly strange timing issues as well. Back to basics, I guess - people have pushed Amdahl's Law and multiprocessing in search of more performance and time savings, but Djikstra (the same as in his paper "Go To Considered Harmful") was more interested in safety.

As a matter of semantics, the Saturn has never been called a multi-core system because cores refer to functional units which require additional circuitry to work singly. Each CPU on the Saturn has its own bus interface, but each core within a multi-core CPU shares parts of that main interface. But there doesn't seem to be any standard definition of this, just a bunch of conventions that carved out their own niches (MP, SMP, etc.) before people started talking about multi-core.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Very informative stuff, thank you. I'm a student of computer science right now, so I have a lot more to learn.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

Ed Oscuro wrote:I hope your CPUs are running 1000 times faster than that! :mrgreen:
lol oops :shock:
cools

Post by cools »

Single thread performance is king, but it doesn't hurt to go multithread if you can:

https://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index. ... msg1414248