Degica Shmups Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Cagar

Re: Degica Community Outreach For Crimzon Clover

Post by Cagar »

Blackbird wrote:Whoa, you -really- want a console port ^_^;. My boss tells me that they have released boxed games before, so it is theoretically possible. They are looking at releasing the game on other platforms, but I can't confirm them yet because it's not finalized.
Please keep in mind that these "PHYSICAL CONSOLE RELEASE PLS"-freaks are the very minority of shoot em' up playerbase, and a release like that would not be profitable in any sense.
Whatever you're planning to do with the game in the future though, good luck. I'm very excited about each update that this game gets on PC, and you seem to be hinting about a bright future :wink:
Last edited by Cagar on Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bonus!

Post by Bonus! »

Cagar wrote:Please keep in mind that these "PHYSICAL CONSOLE RELEASE PLS"-guys are the very minority of shoot em' up playerbase, and a release like that would not be profitable in any sense.
If physical releases weren't profitable, they would long have stopped. Look at Trangle Service or Qute. Sure, they don't sell millions, but apparently they sold enough to justify keep making the games and putting out another physical release.
Erppo

Post by Erppo »

Bonus! wrote:Do you even play shmups!? ;P

Of course we want a physical release. I probably wouldn't buy one for PC, though, because it would be tied to Windows. But part of the genre is to display your collection nicely, unlike AAA games which you plough through in 6 to 8 hours and forget.
This forum can be so depressing.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Hmmm... The surprise couldn't be some sort of rerelease of the doujin version, could it? That's would be just find with me.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Yes, it'd nice to have a higher quality 44.1kHz music OST along with arranged tracks + a CC Super Play DVD or Blu-Ray disc set with a Super Limited or Limited Edition version of Crimson Clover for a dedicated gaming console...one that has a dedicated fan-base with proper Hori RAP (Real Arcade Pro) setup. I've noticed that Hori USA will be releasing the USA version of HRAP-4 for the PS4 console. So that may be deal-breaker right there (with both backwards compatibility with the PS3 & PS4 via a switch toggle setup).

Of course, with the hard-core shmuppers, they already have a JPN 360 and/or PS3 in their gaming stash alrighty along with the complimentary Sanwa/Seimitsu endowed HRAPs.

A suggestion to have a limited edition HRAP with a slick CC motif produced would be ace in my book (you might recall the HRAP sporting a RSG motif a while back).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

Slowbeef actually has streamed this a few times now; here's his latest stream from last night
http://www.twitch.tv/effinslowbeef/b/553684311

edit: and it looks like blackbird actually made it into skype chat with slowbeef in that video!
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

Also, I'm sure that if Mark from Classic Game Room HD got a gift copy of this on Steam he would publish a video on it pretty quickly
Patashu

Post by Patashu »

cave hermit wrote:Slowbeef actually has streamed this a few times now; here's his latest stream from last night
http://www.twitch.tv/effinslowbeef/b/553684311

edit: and it looks like blackbird actually made it into skype chat with slowbeef in that video!
Yep! Thanks for coming by, Blackbird! (Someone really needs to get on teaching slowbeef about the U shape bullet herding technique, though. I get a bit of a nervous twitch every time he tapdodges himself into a corner and up the wall slowly XD)
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

cave hermit wrote:Also, I'm sure that if Mark from Classic Game Room HD got a gift copy of this on Steam he would publish a video on it pretty quickly
This! The guy has reviewed Mushihimesama Futari and many other shmups in the past, and he claims to adore Truxton. He should most definitely review Crimson Clover. You can check out his channel here.

Also, please make available a higher quality set of MP3s for the Deluxe Version. I was pretty bummed when I realized they were all CBR at 128 kpbs. VBR at higher sampling or even CBR at 320 kbps would be more than welcome. Having the FLAC tracks would be amazing too.

Finally, please look into bringing the game to GOG. DRM-free is the absolute best, having the game available there would make me double dip.
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
Bonus!

Post by Bonus! »

It would also be great if the game got a port to OSX and Linux.
Patashu

Post by Patashu »

Bonus! wrote:It would also be great if the game got a port to OSX and Linux.
You can run Crimzon Clover in WINE on both OSes. Try it.
Bonus!

Post by Bonus! »

I would still prefer native ports. Besides, I've tried running Wine on OSX Mavericks, but ran into problems. Thus, I rather boot up my windows partition in my spare PC. Also, if you want to market to the "indie-loving" but not overly technophile crowd, then a native port to OSX could easily be justified. A case for Linux could be made based on the fact that Valve is pushing SteamOS, which is Linux.
MathU

Post by MathU »

Do you think they will ever ditch the DRM for the World Ignition version of the game? By this I am referring specifically to Steam CEG; in other words, the fact that you cannot run the game without Steam.

What prompted Yotsubane to cripple the game with it in the first place? I can't imagine he's your typical Japanese developer who doesn't understand how piracy works, considering Crimzon Clover's original PC doujin release.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
Bonus!

Post by Bonus! »

Come on, you can run the game just fine by putting Steam in offline mode. This is about as unobtrusive as DRM gets.
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

MathU wrote:Do you think they will ever ditch the DRM for the World Ignition version of the game? By this I am referring specifically to Steam CEG; in other words, the fact that you cannot run the game without Steam.

What prompted Yotsubane to cripple the game with it in the first place? I can't imagine he's your typical Japanese developer who doesn't understand how piracy works, considering Crimzon Clover's original PC doujin release.

Shit dude i'd be worried about my health because that smoke looks really unhealthy
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

Crimzon Clover is coming to DRM-free platforms soon. I just can't say which ones yet because it hasn't been finalized.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Another opportunity to support the genre, as well as DRM-free gaming? Looks like it's time to double-dip again...here's hoping that the creators/localizers don't see the thing pirated to hell within 10 minutes for their trouble.
MathU

Post by MathU »

Blackbird wrote:Crimzon Clover is coming to DRM-free platforms soon. I just can't say which ones yet because it hasn't been finalized.
Fantastic news, seriously. I've been really worried about the future of PC shooting lately with the recent string of DRM-locked releases. If a hit release like Crimzon Clover can turn things around then there's still hope.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

The way I see it, PC gaming is organizing into three camps: Steam, GoG, and everyone else.

Steam has a lot of nice functionality like automatic updates and community pages, but you have to deal with DRM.

Meanwhile GoG and the other services provide the DRM-free shopping alternative, but are a bit more DIY.

I think the future of PC shooting looks optimistic. We've had two extremely high quality shmups released on PC already this year, and that's not counting the numerous enjoyable fan projects that people make here all the time. I feel like shmups are receiving more interest from the average gamer recently, which I attribute to fatigue with current AAA gaming trends.
n0rtygames

Post by n0rtygames »

To mitigate any risk - could just do a kickstarter for a boxed copy of WI. It's not like Yotsubane is a stranger to the world of physical releases on PC and he has been to enough conventions to understand the value people place on having physical goods (Although this is of course secondary to the game actually being good - but he's sort of ticked that box already)

There's like zero doubt about whether or not he'd actually deliver if he got a funded kickstarter with a reasonable goal to cover a batch. Minimum runs are usually like 500 or so and he clearly has a fanbase of more than this size since his last physical release sold out (I think?). So why not suggest it? :)
facebook: Facebook
gray117

Post by gray117 »

Idk as nice as it is to have a physical console release it carries it's own risks/demands. Digital console comes with plenty of hoops/investment - it will however increase exposure and remains an accessible means to get at it.

Imho, you need a cleaner logo for crimzon clover, I appreciate the rather bombastic nature of the game, but I don't think the 'enthusiastic' doujin feel will do you any favors in a wider [western] market, especially away from pc.... it just looks like a pink smudge when small.

Aside from that I think you need to get some coverage beyond the shmup communities too, you'll need a tidy press pack perhaps even a simple web page + usual fb/twitter contact guff depending on how you want to do it. With a product already made you should be pretty confident hitting up wider pc communities (it's not like you're trying to promote a it-might-happen-no-proven-track-record-kickstarter).
rtw

Post by rtw »

Blackbird wrote:Crimzon Clover is coming to DRM-free platforms soon. I just can't say which ones yet because it hasn't been finalized.
If you want to create a super special bundled version it would be nice to be able to buy the soundtrack as FLAC and add the Steam trading cards as regular wallpapers.
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work
Special World

Post by Special World »

I prefer physical releases as well, but console release in general is a must for me. I don't know why, but I just can't commit to games on my PC — as soon as I get on my computer I just want to dick around on the internet.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Special World wrote:I prefer physical releases as well, but console release in general is a must for me. I don't know why, but I just can't commit to games on my PC — as soon as I get on my computer I just want to dick around on the internet.
Standardized hardware FTW.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Why do I sometimes randomly get "score not official" when playing in practice without any noticeable fps drops?
Van_Artic

Post by Van_Artic »

can we please have replay upload and downloads in the leaderboards? pretty please
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

A little off topic but I booted up world ignition just now for the first time in quite a while, and I noticed that my old scores were all gone! Were high scores erased after a new update or something?

I should note that only my local rankings were erased, but my old scores are still on the online leaderboards, and most of my other local settings are still intact (the automatic name entry on the high score screen, medals, secret ship percentage unlock, etc.)
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

The FPS cutoff for unofficial scores is something being reviewed. We might remove it - it doesn't seem to be preventing hackers from uploading scores to the leaderboard as intended anyway.

Replay downloads have been suggested as a feature, but it's really up to Yotsubane whether he wants to implement that or not.

Some local scores were lost as a result of patch updates. Sorry if you were affected by that.
mariusrhpsd

Post by mariusrhpsd »

emphatic wrote:Standardized hardware FTW.
Closed systems are the root of all evil
MathU wrote:Do you think they will ever ditch the DRM for the World Ignition version of the game? By this I am referring specifically to Steam CEG; in other words, the fact that you cannot run the game without Steam.

ITT
Bonus!

Post by Bonus! »

Blackbird wrote:The FPS cutoff for unofficial scores is something being reviewed. We might remove it - it doesn't seem to be preventing hackers from uploading scores to the leaderboard as intended anyway.
But I do hope that there will be other ways to keep hackers from messing with the leaderboards. Maybe there is a way to automatically upload input files an do some plausibility checks.

I currently don't have access to my Windows PC, so I'm wondering what the status of the high score tables currenlty is. Do fraudulent scores get removed?