Cuphead, new run'n'gun with old-timey art

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
soprano1

Re: Cuphead, new run'n'gun with old-timey art

Post by soprano1 »

BulletMagnet wrote:Delayed to mid-2017.
I wonder if it's to fix the dull platforming?
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

So let's discuss Cuphead....

Did any videos come out demonstrating actual stages since that first, horribly drab video?
I think a lot of the boss fights that have been on display lately have shown big improvements in how the game plays, and some of them are actually starting to look somewhat fun. I wonder if they improved the stages too, or maybe they just decided to ditch them again, in favor of a pure boss rush? Which I actually wouldn't mind, to be honest - I'm actually really impressed by the amount of content they seem to be able to push into this game, so even if the game won't be great, it looks like you'll get your money's worth in setpieces alone.

I would love to play the game when it comes out, but unfortunately it won't be available on any platform that I can use at the moment.

edit:
Long video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20Rt7NugRMs
Platform stages still look terrible, but as long as you're not expecting a new Metal Slug or Gunstar Heroes, it looks like it should be possible to appreciate the game for what it is. Expecting decent reviews from the mainstream press (77 on Metacritic), but mediocre feedback from the shmups crowd at best.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

Man, I really love how alive this game feels. Gameplay seems a bit basic though, and this guy playing is terrible lol! Though I'm sure it's hard to play with the pressure of a large audience.
But c'mon man, pattern recognition!
chum

Post by chum »

Wonderful art and top notch animations really, I wish this game turns out good because it would be such a waste otherwise, but watching some gameplay footage, at no point did the game convince me it needed to be made in this medium... Just go watch classic Fleischer cartoons like Bimbo's Initation or the Popeye + Sinbad one, this is a better time than playing third rate run n guns regardless of how good they look visually. I guess let's hope they fix how boring and bad the game is, which lets face it isnt going to happen because they're clearly trying to play it way too safe to make a good action game. It'll just be a visual spectacle with worthless content
wizkid

Post by wizkid »

Sumez wrote: Long video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20Rt7NugRMs
bosses and even platform stages look a bit better than in videos i saw, maybe that footage was outdated or the player is not as bad here. still doesn't look like something worth getting even on sale just for content tourism, watching 11 minutes of footage got me tired of artstyle, it's all the same 30s rural america or whatever. also, some sounds effects are loud and annoying like a three way shot and rocket spread.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

The footage I linked is still pretty old (E3 2016 or so?), so there's some hope in the game's FAQ page:
The platforming levels that were made public were demo levels – not what you will see in the final game. We simply did not have enough final assets completed to create the actual levels we have planned. We can’t wait to show these in their final forms.
Still, I have my reservations about this game until actually playing it.

Here's a screenshot of what one of the platforming stages looks like now:

Let's take a good guess at where the hitboxes are located on all of the stuff in that scene?
MommysBestGames

Post by MommysBestGames »

I have two new things to say about Cuphead!
1. I got to play it at PAX West. And it was pretty fun and not completely sucky!
It was a bit sucky because the explosions COVER UP THINGS AND IT'S HARD TO SEE .. which is a pet peeve of mine (THANK YOU ALIEN HOMINID, NOW GET OUT).
I played the run n gun forest level. It was okay. The level design is "average". It puts some enemies in the way, and has some jumps. The level design isn't terrible, but it's also not exciting and memorable.
I also played 2 bosses. These frog bosses, and a vegetable medley boss.
They were pretty fair and doable with some practice. I was worried they'd feel cheap and not telegraph attacks, but those two bosses at least, were pretty fun and okay to fight.

2. Are you ready for some laughter? I mean, good, hearty, stomach-aching laughter?
Watch this journalist, whose been playing games for years, have a *terrible* time trying to make a jump-dash move in the tutorial level.
No kidding, it takes him nearly 1 minute and 30 seconds to make this jump.
It is *agonizing* to watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... 48Y1Uu5Htk

And yes, that is a very simple and normal maneuver for you and me, but he just does not play side-scrollers... I guess... or something.
Made a giant arcade-adventure: Pig Eat Ball. Also made shmup with multi-ships: Shoot 1UP DX, Gunstacking game: Serious Sam Double D XXL, and more shooters.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

The game that breaks games journalists.
boagman

Post by boagman »

MommysBestGames wrote:I have two new things to say about Cuphead!
1. I got to play it at PAX West. And it was pretty fun and not completely sucky!
It was a bit sucky because the explosions COVER UP THINGS AND IT'S HARD TO SEE .. which is a pet peeve of mine (THANK YOU ALIEN HOMINID, NOW GET OUT).
I played the run n gun forest level. It was okay. The level design is "average". It puts some enemies in the way, and has some jumps. The level design isn't terrible, but it's also not exciting and memorable.
I also played 2 bosses. These frog bosses, and a vegetable medley boss.
They were pretty fair and doable with some practice. I was worried they'd feel cheap and not telegraph attacks, but those two bosses at least, were pretty fun and okay to fight.

2. Are you ready for some laughter? I mean, good, hearty, stomach-aching laughter?
Watch this journalist, whose been playing games for years, have a *terrible* time trying to make a jump-dash move in the tutorial level.
No kidding, it takes him nearly 1 minute and 30 seconds to make this jump.
It is *agonizing* to watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... 48Y1Uu5Htk

And yes, that is a very simple and normal maneuver for you and me, but he just does not play side-scrollers... I guess... or something.
First off: that video makes me want to never, ever watch a video again.

Second: Cuphead, very interesting in initial concept, feels like it wore out its welcome, what, 1.5 years ago, now? Two? It's the chance you take when you release early concept-and-footage of a game in hopes of whetting the collective whistle of gamers everywhere: when it's inevitably delayed (and in this particular case, delayed, delayed, delayed some more...and then switched/added platforms, and delayed, delayed, delayed...), you run the risk of making even the most ardent hopeful not really care anymore. The only way I'll get this game is if I happen to win a free Xbox from the current Taco Bell sweepstakes. If they had just SHUT UP about it for another 2 years or so, they'd have the gaming world by the short and curlies, the way Goldeneye stormed onto the stage all those years ago. Instead, it seems like there's a collective ::SIGH:: about its release.

I'd say that's about right.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Re: that video. I'm guessing he's trying to play it with the analog stick? That's the only explanation I can think of.

Also, to be fair - why the fuck do zakos take multiple hits to kill?
EDIT: Ok, they don't, he just that bad at aiming a 2D gun o_O
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

this is the same guy who gave mass effect a really bad review then had to retract everything he said as it turned out he played through the game without realising you can level skills up.
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

^ :shock: Man, and I thought me going through 90% of Mother 3 without realizing that killing enemies put money in the Frog Bank was an unbeatable level of fucking up! :lol:

Anyways, I'm still looking forward to this game. I never expected for even a moment that it was going to be a GREAT game - I just really love animation.
Filthy casual talk, I know :oops:
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Wow, watching that video is pure torture. :?
It's like a two-year old was playing or something.

I can understand not being at ease with run'n guns and taking some time to get the hang of the game but this is some next level shit. The player never seems to learn from his mistakes.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

yeah. that's it, he just isn't learning at all. there is one point when he is trying to get over the big cylinder in the tutorial, after he has been repeatedly walking into it and jumping into it for about a minute, where he just stands still for awhile, then finally goes to the block to try and jump from there. i'm betting someone told him to do that, and it still takes him another 30 seconds to get it.

one of the things he has been saying to defend himself is "i went into it thinking it was like mario...." which makes sense the first time he tried to jump on an enemies head. i'm not so sure it still applies the tenth time.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Gameplay looks good. Not too keen on the aesthetics. Yeah, I know everyone who likes it thinks it's the best thing ever.
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

Finally an answer to the age-old question: Is a gaming "journalist" smarter than a pigeon?
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

Haha that is amazing!
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Man, that music gets old fast.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Leviathan wrote:Man, that music gets old fast.
To be fair, it's not supposed to be playing for that long.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

NTSC-J wrote:Finally an answer to the age-old question: Is a gaming "journalist" smarter than a pigeon?
I can't stop watching this. It's painful and yet hilarious.

Now, I don't hold it against anyone who sucks at video games but enjoys playing them, but really you should be playing at a decent enough skill level to properly assess the game for other players before you make a living professionally reviewing or writing about them.

My preference is using a shoulder button for dashing/dodging like in Mega Man X games, but even after he realizes he has to jump when standing on the cube to the cylinder it takes him way too long to manage the task of pressing "A" then "Y" on an Xbox controller. Legit question: does he have some kind of motor skills disability...?

We chew out reviewers for more esoteric stuff like not getting shmup scoring mechanics or complaining about how easy shmups are when you credit feed, etc, but man, this looks like pretty basic platforming as far as technique goes.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:I don't hold it against anyone who sucks at video games but enjoys playing them, but really you should be playing at a decent enough skill level to properly assess the game for other players before you make a living professionally reviewing or writing about them.
So many "professionals" in other areas do this shit, i'm not surprised by this.
boagman

Post by boagman »

Mischief Maker wrote:
Leviathan wrote:Man, that music gets old fast.
To be fair, it's not supposed to be playing for that long.
I was just going to say the exact same thing. It's actually not bad music, but when Idiot Boy keeps it going for that long, it could be the best music in the world, and I'd hate it!
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Most gaming journos aren't really gamers. They just fell in from something else. My friend's 9 year old daughters could get thru that bit.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

evil_ash_xero wrote:Most gaming journos aren't really gamers. They just fell in from something else. My friend's 9 year old daughters could get thru that bit.
You could say most aren't really journalists, either.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

soprano1 wrote:
evil_ash_xero wrote:Most gaming journos aren't really gamers. They just fell in from something else. My friend's 9 year old daughters could get thru that bit.
I admit to knowing of a very good journalist (one of the best, I'd say) who often covers hardcore games who was witnessed being absolutely useless at Street Fighter IV on release at a preview event.

Look though, shit happens. They got the job and you didn't. Life blows.

Every time I read movie reviews from highly rated "movie critics" I die a little.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Skykid wrote:Every time I read movie reviews from highly rated "movie critics" I die a little.
Ha ha, we know. :)
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

soprano1 wrote:
Yeah, you could say that. lol...I prefer the "enthusiast press" of the nineties. They didn't have sticks up their asses, at least. And showed a genuine love of games.
Who was that guy in EGM who was "anonymous"? Anyone remember that guy? Sushi-X, I think his name was. That was fun.
Skykid wrote: I admit to knowing of a very good journalist (one of the best, I'd say) who often covers hardcore games who was witnessed being absolutely useless at Street Fighter IV on release at a preview event.

Look though, shit happens. They got the job and you didn't. Life blows.

Every time I read movie reviews from highly rated "movie critics" I die a little.
I wouldn't want to be a game journo. But the current crop really seem to hate the fans, so I'll hate them right back. So it's fun when you see stuff like this, or the Doom gameplay, where you can tell they aren't really gamers either.
And as stated above, most of them aren't very good writers at all.
They also don't strike me as anyone I would want to hang out and play games with. So..pfft!
Deadliar

Post by Deadliar »

mamboFoxtrot wrote:^ :shock: Man, and I thought me going through 90% of Mother 3 without realizing that killing enemies put money in the Frog Bank was an unbeatable level of fucking up! :lol:
I beat Phantasy Star 4 without equipping a single item, I don't know why I did this, but I did.
Play for fun and win when you can.
boagman

Post by boagman »

Green Man Gaming has Cuphead Pre-Purchase (PC Digital Download) on sale for $19.99 - 20% off w/ voucher code 20CUPHEAD = $15.99.

Note, game will require a Steam account to play/activate. Must be logged into account to apply voucher coupon

Deal Editor's Notes & Price Research: Title is set to be released on September 29, 2017.

From SD.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Holding out for a GOG release :| It HAS been confirmed for GOG, right?

edit: it's all over their front page, so I'd assume so >_>