STGT Gaiden - Doujin Label - Main discussion thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
KennyMan666

STGT Gaiden - Doujin Label - Main discussion thread

Post by KennyMan666 »

Now that the registration period is over and the tournament proper has started, we'll use this thread as the main discussion thread, though we might toss up weekly game discussion threads as well.

---

STGT and doujins have never been the best of friends. There’s been several reasons for this, and they’re actually pretty reasonable… reasons.

It’s kind of a shame, though. There’s a lot of doujins that would do nicely to play in a more competitive tournament setting. And there are so many good doujins out there that deserve recognition and exposure.

So, enter STGT Gaiden - Doujin Label!

A STGT where all of the games are freely available doujins, meaning you don’t get to complain about a game not being compatible with your computer (if you've had problems with doujins in the past, perhaps this tournament isn't for you) if you sign up or that you cannot buy the game. We will link to the homepages of all games where applicable.

Hosted by nasty_wolverine and KennyMan666, we intend to bring you five intense playing weeks filled with the best [citation needed] doujins out there.

Before each playing week there will be a voting thread to choose which game will be played. Each team has one vote.

Because of course we’re playing with teams! Since we expect less participants here than in regular STGT, teams will consist of a minimum of three and a maximum of five members. Each team will need a silly name, a snazzy banner and a team captain - the captain will be the one responsible for delivering the team’s vote for each week.

Scoring works similarly to regular STGT, with the top scorers of the team contributing to the team’s total score for the week. How many of the top scorers it will be is somewhat dependent on the team sizes we get, but we’re aiming to not have to “force” all players of a team to participate any given week to have a chance on the total team scoreboard.

Signups start… well, right now, and will run through Friday, May 9th. All deadlines for any sort of submissions, be it team signups, weekly votes or score submissions during this tournament will be at midnight UTC on the specified day.

The voting for the first week will be put up on Sunday, May 4th and run through Sunday, May 11th. The first playing week will thus start on Monday, May 12th. For following weeks, the voting thread for the next playing week will be posted on the same day as the scoring for the current week, to give players ample time to make their decisions.

So, get to forming your teams and sign up! This thread can be used for advertising your team, trying to find members and such as well. You can also have an open team, allowing anyone to join.

Signups must be in this format:

Username:
Desired Team:
Team Captain:
Desired Team Registration Status: (open or closed)

If you have any questions, post them in the thread and we'll address it as soon as we're able.

Let's do this thing!

---

List of teams

~Hardo Gaiden FUUUU~
Team registration status: Open
Aleksei (captain)
laml
Iori Brandford
Mr12Inches

Tenhou Unreal Mahjong (full)
Team registration staus: Closed
Yapzhier (captain)
fso
Hiko
mikolan
RegalStar

Team Loser Gaiden (full)
BulletMagnet (captain)
NRS
mastermx
Nwodatek
beatsgo

Team Rampant Piracy
tinotormed (captain)
zaarock
PlatinumHawke

Loli Loving Lolis (full)
(banner too large)
Team registration status: Closed
japanesesuperplayer (captain)
ARF
lep
Sakurei
Lilium

Wonder Force IV
Aru-san (captain)
Kitaru
cham0mile

Great Justice
Squire Grooktook (captain)
cheeseweenies
Prinny

Tyrian Defense Force
Kaiser (captain)
eebrozgi
BPzeBanshee
n0rtygames

Team WAVE PROPAGATE (full)
Nifty (captain)
Dors
SEBTi
Yakkers
DocHauser

Current team rankings
R=Team&Week1&Week2&Week3&Week4&Total R= Team WAVE PROPAGATE &134&133&130&-&397 R= Team Loser Gaiden &119&133&132&-&384 R= ~Hardo Gaiden Fuuuu~ &117&133&125&-&375 R= Tenhou Unreal Mahjong &98&72&105&-&275 R= Tyrian Defense Force &95&99&80&-&274 R= Team Wonder Force IV &97&60&105&-&262 R= Team Rampant Piracy &89&42&92&-&223 R= Great Justice &86&89&37&-&212 R= ♥ Loli Loving Lolis ♥ &70&40&0&-&110

Current individual rankings
R=Player&Team&Week1&Week2&Week3&Week4&Total R=Nwodatek & Team Loser Gaiden &49&50&49&-&148 R=Nifty & Team WAVE PROPAGATE &45&46&48&-&139 R=Aleksei & ~Hardo Gaiden Fuuuu~ &40&49&46&-&135 R=DocHauser & Team WAVE PROPAGATE &42&43&47&-&132 R=beatsgo & Team Loser Gaiden &44&47&38&-&129 R=SEBTi & Team WAVE PROPAGATE &47&44&35&-&126 R=PlatinumHawke & Team Rampant Piracy &41&42&42&-&125 R=laml & ~Hardo Gaiden Fuuuu~ &39&45&36&-&120 R=Iori Branford & ~Hardo Gaiden Fuuuu~ &38&39&43&-&120 R=BPzeBanshee & Tyrian Defense Force &37&37&41&-&115 R=Yazphier & Tenhou Unreal Mahjong &30&38&40&-&108 R=Kitaru & Team Wonder Force IV &29&31&44&-&104 R=fso & Tenhou Unreal Mahjong &35&34&31&-&100 R=tinotormed & Team Rampant Piracy &48&-&50&-&98 R=Squire Grooktook & Great Justice &50&41&-&-&91 R=ARF & ♥ Loli Loving Lolis ♥ &46&40&-&-&86 R=Prinny & Great Justice &-&48&37&-&85 R=Mastermx & Team Loser Gaiden &21&33&30&-&84 R=cham0mile & Team Wonder Force IV &25&29&29&-&83 R=NRS & Team Loser Gaiden &-&36&45&-&81 R=Aru-san & Team Wonder Force IV &43&-&32&-&75 R=Mr12Inches & ~Hardo Gaiden Fuuuu~ &32&35&-&-&67 R=Hiki & Tenhou Unreal Mahjong &33&-&34&-&67 R=Kaiser & Tyrian Defense Force &27&-&39&-&66 R=n0rtygames & Tyrian Defense Force &31&32&-&-&63 R=BulletMagnet & Team Loser Gaiden &26&-&33&-&59 R=eebrozgi & Tyrian Defense Force &22&30&-&-&52 R=cheeseweenies & Great Justice &36&-&-&-&36 R=Yakkers & Team WAVE PROPAGATE &34&-&-&-&34 R=mikolan & Tenhou Unreal Mahjong &28&-&-&-&28 R=JPS & ♥ Loli Loving Lolis ♥ &24&-&-&-&24 R=Dors & Team WAVE PROPAGATE &23&-&-&-&23
Last edited by KennyMan666 on Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:23 am, edited 19 times in total.
My 1CCs so I can find the list easier myself
<Despatche> you've been a thorn in the shmups community since the beginning, you're largely responsible for the horrible face of modern speedrunning
SuperSoaker360

Re: STGT Gaiden - Doujin Label (signups and discussion)

Post by SuperSoaker360 »

Doujin? Now this is definitely my kind of tournament! inb4bitching
1CC List | YouTube Channel | Twitter | RebKMG/KMG
RegalSin wrote:Wait a minute, everything else is better then an aerodactyle, with a man face on it.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

I know this is all free games, but I still want to found Team Rampant Piracy.

Open registration.
Last edited by CStarFlare on Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

Username: Cagar
Desired Team: Garegga Fathers
Team Captain: Cagar
Registration Status: Closed
trap15

Post by trap15 »

*has rug pulled out from underneath*
Thanks >_>
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

Hm, I was under the impression that TRP-STGT had been planned for later. Maybe it wasn't.
<Despatche> you've been a thorn in the shmups community since the beginning, you're largely responsible for the horrible face of modern speedrunning
nasty_wolverine

Post by nasty_wolverine »

trap15 wrote:*has rug pulled out from underneath*
Thanks >_>
didnt mean too, but last time i checked you were not really sure when you wanted to start it. and i have been talking about a doujin tournament for some time now. things just landed in place with the doujin voting thread and all.

we did not have any rug sweeping intentions at all.
Elysian Door - Naraka (my WIP PC STG) in development hell for the moment
Pallerå

Post by Pallerå »

Username: Pallerå
Desired Team: Garegga Fathers
Team Captain: Cagar
Registration Status: Closed
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

I don't think I'm ready for any kind of STGT yet, but I hope this is successful because I like the concept, and would be interested in it when I'm a bit more experienced of a player.
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
trap15

Post by trap15 »

nasty, kenny: Thing is, I need to get my STGT done before around June 21st. I'd like us to coordinate to have them not run at the same time, but if not >_>
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
nasty_wolverine

LordHypnos wrote:I don't think I'm ready for any kind of STGT yet, but I hope this is successful because I like the concept, and would be interested in it when I'm a bit more experienced of a player.
what??? join in, contribute to the team, even if you dont get the high score, do the research, figure out tricks your team mates can use. if it was only about score, we wouldnt have teams and just straight up individual scores.

stop with the wishy-washy stuff, stand and face the storm. isnt that what shmups are about. that lonely under-powered ship against the alien armada, facing the storm of bullets, inching its way to victory.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

nasty_wolverine wrote:
LordHypnos wrote:I don't think I'm ready for any kind of STGT yet, but I hope this is successful because I like the concept, and would be interested in it when I'm a bit more experienced of a player.
what??? join in, contribute to the team, even if you dont get the high score, do the research, figure out tricks your team mates can use. if it was only about score, we wouldnt have teams and just straight up individual scores.

stop with the wishy-washy stuff, stand and face the storm. isnt that what shmups are about. that lonely under-powered ship against the alien armada, facing the storm of bullets, inching its way to victory.
This is a good point. I also might be super busy in may. But I still have a bit of time to decide, right? So we'll see.

EDit: yeah, you know what, fuck this shit. I'm totally in. Any free team spaces?
...Also: what will the specific dates be. It's five weeks right? starting when?
1) Create Scoring System
nasty_wolverine

LordHypnos wrote: ...Also: what will the specific dates be. It's five weeks right? starting when?
starting weeks are 12th May, 19th May, 26th May, 2nd June, 9th June. ends the next sunday of the starting week at 12:00 UTC.
trap15 wrote:nasty, kenny: Thing is, I need to get my STGT done before around June 21st. I'd like us to coordinate to have them not run at the same time, but if not >_>
let me talk to kenny and see if we can figure out something.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Hmm, I'm still in a doujin-y mood after refreshing my memory for the Top 25 vote...let's see if we can't scare up a bit of Team Loser spirit for this one.

Username: BulletMagnet
Desired Team: Team Loser Gaiden
Team Captain: BulletMagnet
Desired Team Registration Status: Open
z0mbie90

Post by z0mbie90 »

If there any team open for some with noobish skill please say so :D
KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

Right, so this is where we're at.

Signups for TRP-STGT have now started as well, and at this point in time, the two tournaments are scheduled to start on the same day.

trap thinks it's a bad idea to have them both run concurrently. I can see the arguments against - but I'm still not convinced it's the most terrible of ideas.

I want input from you players. Assuming, for now, that both will run at the same time, how many of you would forgo one of the tournaments to participate in the other? How many would see no problem in playing both at the same time? Ho many of you would, regardless of the other one existing or not, only participate in one of them since they're themed on different things - arcade and doujin?

As half of the hosts of Gaiden, I see no problems in just running them at the same time. I won't participate in either - not in this since I'm hosting it, and not in TRP because I simply don't have the time for that. (hosting is a different thing.)

But that's why I need you players to speak up about it.

And who knows, maybe you need two games so you can switch between them when you get too mad at one of them. Or maybe trap is right and it will be polarizing and reduce enthusiasm.

Tell me what you think.

Edit: Should also note that if postponing this so that the actual playing would start right when TRP-STGT ends, Gaiden would end at July 20th. That's later than I would like. Even if Gaiden is postponed there's a good chance there'll have to be overlap somewhere down the line.
Last edited by KennyMan666 on Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

trp-stgt first
WizardYuuka

Post by WizardYuuka »

Bananamatic wrote:trp-stgt first
Sakurei

Post by Sakurei »

nasty_wolverine

tbh, i was gonna talk it out with kenny to see if we can reach some sort of compromise, so that trap15 can have atleast a good 2-3 weeks without the tournaments overlapping, but he jumped the gun. so fuck it. players get to decide which starts first, or if they are fine with overlap. if you want, i ll even put up a polling thread.

edit: new shit has come to light. apparently trap didnt jump the gun.
Last edited by nasty_wolverine on Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

trap didn't really jump the gun as such, we talked on IRC and I said he should post his signups.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

z0mbie90 wrote:If there any team open for some with noobish skill please say so :D
Quoting this b/c I'm in the same boat, basically. Looking for a team willing to accept some noobish skills.

As for the question at hand: I'm a lot more interested in STGT Gaiden Doujinlabel for various reasons, but I wasn't planning on joining TRP-STGT anyway, so it doesn't make a difference to me.
1) Create Scoring System
SuperSoaker360

Post by SuperSoaker360 »

I have no qualms about STGT Gaiden being postponed. It would be tedious for some players to juggle both games for two tourneys anyway.
1CC List | YouTube Channel | Twitter | RebKMG/KMG
RegalSin wrote:Wait a minute, everything else is better then an aerodactyle, with a man face on it.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

z0mbie90 wrote:If there any team open for some with noobish skill please say so :D
Check the post directly above yours. ;)
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

BulletMagnet wrote:
Check the post directly above yours. ;)
Can I join as well?
1) Create Scoring System
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

The only real rules there are when it comes to Team Loser read as follows:

1) Participate in the tournament as regularly as you can and genuinely try your hardest on each game.

2) Still do terribly.

If you can adhere to those, you're in!
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

Run both tournaments. Then, each week we will have double chance to get a non-shit game. ^__________^
tinotormed

Post by tinotormed »

Making a big return to the shmup scene once again...

Username: tinotormed
Desired Team: Team Rampant Piracy
Team Captain: CStarFlare
Desired Team Registration Status: Open
YT|2nd YT|1ccs|
Good, bad, I'm the guy with the keyboard! Note:Please PM me if you need scores to be updated!
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

KennyMan666 wrote:I want input from you players.
In case anyone needs input from me on this, I personally wasn't planning on participating in trap's tourney (though if any of my fellow Losers, past or present, want to represent there I certainly encourage them to do so), but if changing the schedule makes things easier for others I've got no qualms with that, just let me know when things will start up.
Zil

Post by Zil »

Please please please. Anyone who's going to take these things seriously is probably going to want to spend as much time as they can stand learning the games. Dividing that attention between two games at once would be total ass. I'd like to join in on this one, but if they go at the same time I'm just gonna play in trap's tourney.
old screensaver: spinning 3D monolith with my waifu on it
new screensaver: marquee that says "podd week" regardless of what week it is