Where the Darius Love at?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
ACSeraph

Re: Where the Darius Love at?

Post by ACSeraph »

Jesus people, I made this thread ten years ago and it's still going strong...
I think we all know where the Darius love at this point: It's right here.
Keep the flag flying, my fellow space anglers 8)
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
NuclearPotato

Post by NuclearPotato »

Darius Never Die 8)

(Sometime I need to go back to G-Darius and break a 20 million score; my PB was just off by a hair due to some early run mistakes).
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Nice to see more D1 MD appreciation coming from the folks here. :)

It's currently IMO the best incarnation of the game with all the extra features and secret codes mentioned on previous page. Cleared all the 7 zones in 26 boss mode across different routes was really fun, also it's the game I would pick for some chill shmupping because of how manageable the difficulty is.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

Where the Darius Love at? here!
I've played the first Darius for the first time , and is also my first M2 game. I'm at Zone H actually and i can't beat Fatty Glutton :? ...i can't cheat it like the previous bosses. :lol:

PS: is impossible to play with the Body Sonic at max level :lol: .

Darius II: Not before beating Darius I.
Sagaia: this one is weird because the stages are hard but the bosses explode immediately.
Darius Gaiden: probably the best, is a joy to play, so smooth, acid landscapes and awesome BGM !!!
Is the highest route always the easiest? because i'm in a R-Type-ish zone and it doesn't seem like the "easiest route"..
G-Darius HD: Best presentation, in all the stages, with all the bosses, even better than DariusBurst: AC/CS. Bosses moves better, like real fish and not like a static ship that have only the shape of sea creatures. The BGM are on the same level of Darius Gaiden.
Amazed by the amount of shot types, something like 50 different types thanks to the "Ash Ketchum" System :shock: AND i love the Beam Laser fights but how the hell can i shoot the double-triple-tetra beam?
Also like Darius Gaiden, is the Highest Route the easiest? Because i've beated Absolute Defender on my first try but i got annilated by Dual Horn :? .
Particular 1:
I noticed that Darius Gaiden and G-Darius are the only two SHMUPS that i ever seen with "Stage Artworks", and G-Darius Zone Art are soo cool! How can you not explore them all ?

Particular 2:
G-Darius have the fastest SHMUPS bosses i ever seen. Always faster than you.
Is the music ALWAYS in sync during the Fire Fossil boss fight? When it enters the screen and tries to byte you with the "BE CAREFUL !" signal?
It all felt in sync and was the most cinematic-shmups things i ever seen..but G-Darius is full of this spectacular moments.

Particular 3:
G-Darius patterns are...."unusual" :? .
ACSeraph wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:28 pm Jesus people, I made this thread ten years ago and it's still going strong...
I think we all know where the Darius love at this point: It's right here.
Keep the flag flying, my fellow space anglers 8)
Oh! Your guides are really helpful :mrgreen:
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

The easiest route in G-Darius is the top route.

The easiest route in Gaiden is the first four levels on the top route, then dropping down one level and doing the next three on the second highest route. (Or maybe you drop down after the first three, and do the next four at the second highest route - it's been a long time since I've played that game.) You want to end up on the "V Route" for the easiest final boss.

1. Autofire makes a huge difference in Darius Gaiden, and while I spent my first year or so of playing shmups without autofire as a "purist," I ultimately came around on it since most cabs in Japan have it enabled. Darius Gaiden was sort of the litmus test for me if I should use autofire, and I don't regret making the switch.

2. Darius Gaiden has some crazy rank shenanigans. If you want to keep rank low, make sure you don't power up your shot too much to where it rolls over to the second tier shot upgrade. Powering up to the next tier actually makes you weaker for the duration of the game due to the rank system. The shield and missiles can be fully upgraded without too much penalty. Paradoxically, keeping your shot power low makes bosses significantly easier in the back half of the game, since the rank system causes their health increase to outpace your damage increase.

I like both Gaiden and G-Darius quite a bit. Gaiden is Top 25 shmups material for me, while G-Darius is top 10. G-Darius gets the edge for it's slick 3D boss intros, Dragon Ball Z laser battles, and enemy capture system. I'd argue G-Darius is the pinnacle of shmup production values and presentation, and hasn't been topped since it's release. The stage four boss of G-Darius' top route, the one with the four part laser counter that leads to a screen filling beam of death is, imo, the single greatest moment in shmup history.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

To Far Away Times wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:07 am 2. Darius Gaiden has some crazy rank shenanigans. If you want to keep rank low, make sure you don't power up your shot too much to where it rolls over to the second tier shot upgrade. Powering up to the next tier actually makes you weaker for the duration of the game due to the rank system. The shield and missiles can be fully upgraded without too much penalty. Paradoxically, keeping your shot power low makes bosses significantly easier in the back half of the game, since the rank system causes their health increase to outpace your damage increase.
Powering up reduces your damage output more because you don't retain the powerful white ball shots, which are especially powerful when point blanking bosses with autofire.

The main things you can do to keep rank low are don't destroy boss parts, and don't pick up max value medals (such as getting a blue medal when your shield is full and you see a 5000 bonus).

Also don't use autofire excessively as holding it down increases rank.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Oh fuck, this is another game where you are punished for powering up by being given a weaker shot? That shit's fucking stupid, counterintuitive, and highly illogical, but it does explain why my damage output goes in the toilet on stage 2.
Lemnear wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:05 pm I noticed that Darius Gaiden and G-Darius are the only two SHMUPS that i ever seen with "Stage Artworks"
Pretty sure Battle Garegga, Armed Police Batrider, and Battle Bakraid all have them for the custom stage order thingy. Thunder Force IV's stage order selection at the beginning of the game has it for sure.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Steven wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:43 pm Oh fuck, this is another game where you are punished for powering up by being given a weaker shot? That shit's fucking stupid, counterintuitive, and highly illogical, but it does explain why my damage output goes in the toilet on stage 2.
It's not quite that simple. The non piercing white ball becomes a penetrating wave sub-shot at the expense of damage. Same for when you go up to the laser in stage 2. You lose damage for piercing. So for example if you're milking bosses the all wave shot might help take out hard to reach boss parts while avoiding killing the boss prematurely. On the other hand staying with white balls actually helps milking Golden Ogre. It really depends on the situation.

Planning your power up levels according to your goals throughout the run is just part of the overall strategy you have to learn to become good at the game. Honestly it's actually avoiding the red powerups you don't want that becomes tricky in certain places. Sometimes it's best to just let the power up carrier go off screen without firing to avoid a messy situation.

Also if you were going to look at having the shot progression be more balanced and linear it would have to be nerfing the white shots. Most of the wave levels are not that underpowered, it's the white shots that are OP especially with auto.

So a better way to look at it might be that you don't get punished for leveling up. It's at certain shot levels you temporarily have this broken and volatile tool that you can abuse for a certain time only.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Darius Gaiden was sort of the litmus test for me if I should use autofire, and I don't regret making the switch.
This was my experience with it too. You get a tremendous advantage from button mashing, and some of the power levels such as going from the white balls to the yellow piercing lasers make you take a significant dip in damage output. You feel fairly weak if you just hold shot through the game honestly. I don't use 30 hz as that seems way too overpowered, but I usually use something around 8-10 hz (I think the attract screen uses 15 hz!).

With a fast but not insane autofire the power disparity doesn't feel so bad. You're more obviously overpowered early on, but that's fine, and once you hit the yellow piercing lasers or the green waves, your power feels more appropriate for what you're facing.

Serious score attacking does require 30 hz autofire apparently though.
caincan

Post by caincan »

davyK

Post by davyK »

davyK wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:35 pm
bkenobi80 wrote:
davyK wrote:Strictly Limited have offered me a refund after the 2nd Darius Extra Version cart failed. Feel sad. Looks like I have to give up on this. Such a lovely port too. And I know it will only go up in price if I ever get another console.

Not sure what to do - keep it on the shelf and let it appreciate? But only if I was certain the game was OK.

:(

I have the same problem but it happens on the first stage. A work around that works for me is to use a game genie. Don’t put in any codes, just use it like a signal cleaner. I was having the illegal instruction issue on the main game modes and a different error on the boss rush mode. Using a game genie fixed both. I have a VA0 US Model 2 for reference.
Weird - wonder if it's to do with the edge connector. I tried lodging some card in with the cart in case it was that but it made no difference. When it crashes in the demo it throws garbage up on the screen which is what you get sometimes when a cart isn't seated properly.

The game crashes on the first stage if I start the game. The previous cart crashed in the 2nd stage!! Also with this cart the demo crashes but the first cart was fine in demo!

Short update on this. Was refunded and I returned the 2nd cart. The 2nd cart returned to me 2 weeks later! I emailed them but they ignored me - so I have a nice cart I can't use. Tried two carts on 2 consoles (model 1 and 2) and still crashes.

But - found the ROM online and it works flawlessly off an Everdrive. So it must be the cart manufacturing.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Get your dirty hands of my Darius cab you thieving bastards!!!

In all seriousness though, tweet says they're sending it out for an overhaul and don't know how long it (and Ninja Warriors) will be gone. Having played on that exact Darius cab fairly recently I can say it definitely needs it. Last time I played the screens were so badly out of alignment I just gave up the credit halfway through.

Thing's been fighting the good fight since '86. I think it's earned a little r&r.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

davyK wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:10 pm
bkenobi80 wrote:

I have the same problem but it happens on the first stage. A work around that works for me is to use a game genie. Don’t put in any codes, just use it like a signal cleaner. I was having the illegal instruction issue on the main game modes and a different error on the boss rush mode. Using a game genie fixed both. I have a VA0 US Model 2 for reference.
Weird - wonder if it's to do with the edge connector. I tried lodging some card in with the cart in case it was that but it made no difference. When it crashes in the demo it throws garbage up on the screen which is what you get sometimes when a cart isn't seated properly.

The game crashes on the first stage if I start the game. The previous cart crashed in the 2nd stage!! Also with this cart the demo crashes but the first cart was fine in demo!

Short update on this. Was refunded and I returned the 2nd cart. The 2nd cart returned to me 2 weeks later! I emailed them but they ignored me - so I have a nice cart I can't use. Tried two carts on 2 consoles (model 1 and 2) and still crashes.

But - found the ROM online and it works flawlessly off an Everdrive. So it must be the cart manufacturing.
I bought a SLG Sega Genesis cart set of Darius Extra Version and it works like a charm on a Model 1 Sega Genesis console. I bought a Genesis repro cart of Darius Extra Version off of Etsy and it, too, runs 100% flawlessly.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

I don't know if the SLG carts are produced the same way, but the Columbus Circle ones have rather severe squared edges around the connecting pins, which can apparently cause damage to the console. I'm reluctant to modify the cart in any way myself, but I thought I'd mention this in case anyone wants to inspect theirs. (Apparently doing a tiny bit of filing is enough to sort it out...)
Steven

Post by Steven »

It's been broken for a while.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

I knew it was in rough shape, but it totally broke? When did that happen? (I only make it out there every few months.)
Steven

Post by Steven »

ACSeraph wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:19 am I knew it was in rough shape, but it totally broke? When did that happen? (I only make it out there every few months.)
It was broken when I went there at the end of December. No idea what was wrong with it, but the cabinet wasn't turned on. I went there about a month or two before that and I have a vague recollection of it being broken then, but my memory is sooooooooooooooooo bad that I can't even remember the setlist from the Sonic Symphony I just saw an hour ago...

Mikado's probably still works, so if you want to play it, you'd have to go there.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Ah, yeah, Mikado's pretty far...

Well the tweet makes it sound like they'll be fixing it at least, so I'll just have to wait I guess.
davyK

Post by davyK »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:07 pm
davyK wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:10 pm

I bought a SLG Sega Genesis cart set of Darius Extra Version and it works like a charm on a Model 1 Sega Genesis console. I bought a Genesis repro cart of Darius Extra Version off of Etsy and it, too, runs 100% flawlessly.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Both my consoles are modified - with region and 50/60 select switches - so it might have something to do with the way they interact with the cartridge. It's a bit of a pity as I really like the port. Still - I can play the ROM - but I like playing with actual carts. :( I bought a repro of MUSHA several years ago and it works just fine.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

I wonder why it's so temperamental. I use a modified PAL Model 2 Mega Drive with 50/60hz switches etc, but I can't think of a reason it wouldn't work on a region-unlocked Model 1, or any other model. Does anyone know of any modding techniques that might cause an issue?
Last edited by Klatrymadon on Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

Maybe your specific copy is just a dud ?
Steven

Post by Steven »

davyK

Post by davyK »

spmbx wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:25 pm Maybe your specific copy is just a dud ?
2nd copy - returned it and they sent me another one. The 1st cart tended to crash on level 2 but the 2nd cart crashed during level 1! 2 carts on 2 consoles - same result.

Maybe I'm just unlucky. I have a repro cart of MUSHA which runs just fine. And the Darius Extra ROM runs fine from an Everdrive.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Ah man, that sucks to hear. On another note, you bought a repro Musha. I almost went this route last year, but wanted a "real copy." I'm sure you can relate as a retro gamer/collector. Anyway, I bought the Japanese import for a little over $100.00 cib. Don't know what a repro costs, but the import can't be much more expensive.
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Depending on the seller, you can get repros for about $20-$30 bucks, cart-only.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Can anyone find the latest ship dates on SLG's Ray'z and Dariusburst? This has gotten absurd.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Nope, they answered some people on Twitter by simply redirecting them to the product's page - which helpfully is a vague early 2024 for both (unchanged from before xmas, when they cancelled the planned Dariusburst release because it was "peak production season").

No explanations for the delays, but at least they're not hiding comments and not updating anything at all - see First Press Games for that one, where Crimzon Clover is being released in Q4 2023 via a timehole.
caincan

Post by caincan »

davyK

Post by davyK »

Gamer707b wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:38 am Ah man, that sucks to hear. On another note, you bought a repro Musha. I almost went this route last year, but wanted a "real copy." I'm sure you can relate as a retro gamer/collector. Anyway, I bought the Japanese import for a little over $100.00 cib. Don't know what a repro costs, but the import can't be much more expensive.
The repro was about $30 several years ago - boxed with manual. I usually don't get repros - just got it to see what it's like. Works fine and the manual and box are pretty good though not good enough to fool a collector. An interesting item though.
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

Davy K from The Bear and Badger/Edge?

Anyone know another way to play OG Darius on one screen (not zoomed out) other than the MD version? (which is great on PS5 btw)