Where the Darius Love at?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Sly Cherry Chunks

Re: Where the Darius Love at?

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

A vanilla 1CC is easy in Dariusburst PSP. Getting a good score is tough though and Great Thing is a pain, as usual.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
Sinful

Post by Sinful »

ACSeraph wrote:What details do you want exactly?
Gee, it seems like you really don't have anything to talk about? Anything, really. Like, did you almost bail on that 1cc? I almost did cause I missed two red powerups in a row. Or how long did it roughly take? Was Mirage Castle the main obstacle prevent this 1cc? Did you start sweating on the last boss? I did, then I could hear my heart beat. Really upset me cause I thought I'd choke for sure. Stuff like this or really whatever. ie. I'll even take I had to take a break midway for the can, lol.
EmperorIng wrote:The video-link or image link you posted up above is inaccessible to people not logged into that particular forum, so that's no help for me.
Don't worry, that pic ain't needed anymore. And I know how to put it in very simple + few words now. Just hand around the middle and all the way back of the screen, and just firing away. Any shots that come from dead ahead or below, just stay put. Any shots coming from above center of your ship, get in front of it by moving only up (be sure to be lined up with it dead on or just a bit above it or even more. Being even slightly below may get you pegged by the spread. ie. that mislcaculation is the #1 thing that got me killed so many times). And remember. Be perfectly still once his shots start to spread, this way they pass you by (you don't even have to hit them, and they still spit).

That's it. The time out cubes will come, but by just moving up and down & shotting, you'll find your way and be fine as you find your groove. Play World version so you can continue for some practice.
MathU wrote:Wait, is there another arcade version of Darius Burst besides Another Chronicle? That's different from the PSP version? Because I find the PSP game to be quite a poor excuse for a Darius game.
Yay, someone thinks like me. Plus I'm so upset that there is no way I can play the much improved latest Arcade version. It's better, and I want. That version make me look down on the PSP game even more now that I know about it. And playing it now also reminds me of this pain too.

But hey, let me ask you this, since you've beat Gaiden & know it quite well, how you rank the Darius games in terms of difficulty? Did they get hard up till Gaiden? And where does G Darius fit with the rest of the Arcade Darius games?
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Sinful wrote:
MathU wrote:Wait, is there another arcade version of Darius Burst besides Another Chronicle? That's different from the PSP version? Because I find the PSP game to be quite a poor excuse for a Darius game.
Yay, someone thinks like me. Plus I'm so upset that there is no way I can play the much improved latest Arcade version. It's better, and I want. That version make me look down on the PSP game even more now that I know about it. And playing it now also reminds me of this pain too.
Why do people keep saying the Arcade version is "better"? Mechanically its exactly the same, just with different/more content. I don't see how if you don't like the PSP game you will like the Arcade version. It's just more of the PSP game. The only way you will like it is if you played the PSP game and thought "holy shit this game was awesome, but I need more, I wish it had more stages and difficulties /sadface"
Sinful wrote:
ACSeraph wrote:What details do you want exactly?
Gee, it seems like you really don't have anything to talk about? Anything, really. Like, did you almost bail on that 1cc? I almost did cause I missed two red powerups in a row. Or how long did it roughly take? Was Mirage Castle the main obstacle prevent this 1cc? Did you start sweating on the last boss? I did, then I could hear my heart beat. Really upset me cause I thought I'd choke for sure. Stuff like this or really whatever. ie. I'll even take I had to take a break midway for the can, lol.
To Kill a Robo-Piranha

Chaper 1

It was a cold morning in late November when the northern winds carried the first snows to Akita. Laying in the warmth of my bed I glanced at the clock hanging above my desk. 10:00 AM... The room was silent save for the soft ticking of the clock, and I vaguely acknowledged with each tick the time slowly drifting away from my own life span. Should I face the world again today?

I pulled down the blankets and was immediately assaulted by the force of Akita's coming winter. "Fuck this!" I thought as I quickly pulled the covers back over me. I was fully awake from the shock of the cold when the shining black glint of my PlayStation Vita was caught in my peripheral vision. I stretched my arm into the frosty air and quickly snatched up the Vita...

And so began my intergalactic war to save the universe from the dark forces of Big Bobby's Robo-Catfish Buffet!

Seriously though, the clear was pretty standard I think. Mirage Castle was definitely the biggest obstacle, Glutton was actually easly, because he's constantly spawning zako so you can pretty much leave the laser on him all day.

The second clear I did where I fought Thousand Knives was a lot more satisfying, since he puts up a much harder fight than glutton. Also the stages are rougher on the scond tier, you really have to protect yourself well with the laser to survive it.
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

ACSeraph wrote:It's only 3 stages per route, so there's less you have to learn for a clear, and when you respawn after death it gives you a shield.
Say what?

I don't have the good fortune of EX, but in AC when you respawn there ain't no shield. It's classic Darius: when you die you had better know survival or you're toast.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Skykid wrote:
ACSeraph wrote:It's only 3 stages per route, so there's less you have to learn for a clear, and when you respawn after death it gives you a shield.
Say what?

I don't have the good fortune of EX, but in AC when you respawn there ain't no shield. It's classic Darius: when you die you had better know survival or you're toast.
Sounds like vanilla is more like the PSP game then. EX gives you a shield and it makes the bosses a lot easier.
MathU

Post by MathU »

Sinful wrote:But hey, let me ask you this, since you've beat Gaiden & know it quite well, how you rank the Darius games in terms of difficulty? Did they get hard up till Gaiden? And where does G Darius fit with the rest of the Arcade Darius games?
In terms of difficulty I guess it'd probably go like this from hardest to easiest:

Darius II > Darius > Darius Gaiden > G-Darius > Darius Burst

Darius II being above Darius because of the shear brutality of a single death. The other console-oriented Darius games like Darius Force and Darius Twin are also on the easier side. I don't think any are quite as easy as Darius Burst however.

Between Gaiden and G-Darius it's a little complicated though. G-Darius is a shorter game with generally easier bosses (the laser battle spectacles are typically what trivialize them) and level handling thanks to enemy capture. However Gaiden has the whole black hole bomb thing going for it and they can be used consecutively unlike sacrificing your capture in G-Darius. A single playthrough also deals with more stages and bosses and unlike G-Darius, Gaiden has adaptive difficulty that can really alter its difficulty. G-Darius, on the other hand, has many bosses with somewhat randomized attacks, which can make them a bit trickier to strategize. That said, Gaiden Zone K Fatty Glutton > Absolute Defender, and Gaiden Storm Causer and Great Thing > G-Darius Great Thing.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

The Gaiden auto-fire shitstorm is making me want to go play more Gaiden.

Was reading the GD where it explains how the rank works but I gotta say I don't really follow it so well. Can anyone explain what exactly I should be considering as I power up my weapons? And there are other factors that affect it too right? What's the general rank management approach to a survival run?
MathU

Post by MathU »

I wrote:The most basic thing you should really concern yourself about with Gaiden's adaptive difficulty is that blowing up boss body parts increases it the most. Picking up power-ups when you're already maxed on something (you get 5000 points when this happens) can also make a difference. Doing this twice amounts to about the same increase as one destroyed boss body part. There are some other things that alter the adaptive difficulty too but those two are by far the most significant. There's a slight drop when you die as well but it's not really as significant or important in keeping things easy like in Battle Garegga for instance.
Basically, just try to avoid blowing up too many boss body parts (they're always worth 30,000 points a piece). The twin rapid-fire cannons and canister things in one of Titanic Lance's forms are the exception and have no effect.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

So I shouldn't worry about avoiding powerups then as long as my weapon isn't totally maxed?
MathU

Post by MathU »

Yeah, pretty much. But even then I wouldn't say it's a huge concern for basic survival. You may want to avoid powering up your main shot to the highest level depending on the final boss you're aiming at anyway, since the white bullets do so much more damage than the little green piercing waves. The gymnastics in actively avoiding medals will probably end up getting you killed more early on than it really helps however.

I'd worry much more about those boss body parts. There's also a bug in the original arcade versions wherein King Fossil's fins increase the adaptive difficulty modifier way more than they're supposed to. So if you want to shoot the game's difficulty up real early blow up his fins in particular.
Sinful

Post by Sinful »

ACSeraph; wow, that was a really great story. Wish I could write so good and captivating. Seriously. Do this for all the other Darius games you 1cc or no miss.

I wouldn't rule that Fattly Glutton in Darius Burst out yet. Fatty Gluton. The story of my Darius life. ... he just cost me my Bust mode clear and access to the Darius 1 ship complete with Darius 1 tunes (how I know, I had a taste of that ship in mission mode). I mean, wow, and I had that lazer on him like the whole time too.

So yeah, I finally gave Darius Burst some serious shmuping time yesturday. I also finally figured out how to de-attach the lazer too. Wow, this is must know. Also, this game may be next on my 1cc list?

Why I think the Arcade games are better? Simple. Higher difficult = higher replay value. And Burst needs clearly needs some extra difficulty levels for the main modes (and not just Mission mode >_<). Now add in double the extra levels in the last Arcade release + what seems like a boss for each level + ... is that the Darius Gaiden ship with black hole bomb?!!! :shock: No!!!!! Why can't I have?! ... How long you think until this is playable in MAME? Or what are it's chances of getting a port to XBLA or PSN?

So basically Bust for PSP seems too consolized difficulty wise, and I'm hoping the Arcade version put it back into Arcade gear where the Darius games propely belong.
MathU wrote:*snip*.
This info I like. Thanks. And you say Gaiden and G are easier then even part one?! Wow, always reasons against that Gaiden auto fire cheat. At first I thought they got harder with each release, but after some more time with Darius 2, I was starting to think that it may take the cake? And you confirm this. Part 1 being tougher too is still the main shocker, as it's my first 1cc/no miss. Guess I got nothing to fear entering the third and 4th games.

For Darius 2 I just started checking out some of the other paths, and I've seen some variations of the underground mechanical levels. Man, these sections are freaking scary as hell. The Genesis version of Darius 2 didn't prepare or warn me of these crazy additions to these sections.
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

All this talk about Darius Gaiden made me want to have another go at the game, so I played a few credits focusing on the lower route.
In my last credit I was quickly killed by Storm Causer's tail, halfway I was raped down to my last life by Fatty Glutton... I had forgotten how awesome the WARNING sign of a Darius game actually is!

The only problem is that I did it on the PS1 port, which is riddled with slowdown. And that surely makes the game easier... :roll:
alamone

Post by alamone »

Just FYI, respawning with an ARM in DBAC only happens on easy route (upper route in both regular and harder modes).
In all other routes you respawn without an ARM.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

MathU wrote:You may want to avoid powering up your main shot to the highest level depending on the final boss you're aiming at anyway, since the white bullets do so much more damage than the little green piercing waves.
You mean those white crescent looking bullets along with the big green wave or the basic shot?

Played quite a bit last night, tried both the top path and the "easy" path KAI mentioned earlier. Not sure why, but things were going a lot better for me on the top path so I may stick with that one. Neon Light Illusion in particular was giving me a lot of trouble on the lower path.

I was really satisfied with my run of the top path though given my lack of practice at it. Credit feeding with the 3 credits it gives you I made it past the final stage's mid boss. What I really need to plan out more effectively is bomb allocation. I'll probly do a credit feed run or two every day and just slowly improve until I can finally get the single credit clear.

Quick question though, I just figured out last night how to capture the midbosses. Really cool feature actually, strangely more satisfying than G Darius' method for me. But should I be doing it? Does it have any effect on the rank?
Kollision wrote:The only problem is that I did it on the PS1 port, which is riddled with slowdown. And that surely makes the game easier... :roll:
Even with the slowdown, I really wish they would put this port up on PSN as a PS1 classic. I'd love to have some Gaiden on my Vita.
Sinful wrote:So yeah, I finally gave Darius Burst some serious shmuping time yesturday. I also finally figured out how to de-attach the lazer too. Wow, this is must know.
Oh you didn't know how to do that? No wonder you didn't appreciate it much... Once you get used to using it both offensively and defensively you'll fall in love I think. If you placement is good Fatty Glutton really stands no chance.
Sinful wrote:Why I think the Arcade games are better? Simple. Higher difficult = higher replay value. And Burst needs clearly needs some extra difficulty levels for the main modes (and not just Mission mode >_<). Now add in double the extra levels in the last Arcade release + what seems like a boss for each level + ... is that the Darius Gaiden ship with black hole bomb?!!! :shock: No!!!!! Why can't I have?! ... How long you think until this is playable in MAME? Or what are it's chances of getting a port to XBLA or PSN?

So basically Bust for PSP seems too consolized difficulty wise, and I'm hoping the Arcade version put it back into Arcade gear where the Darius games propely belong.
The top course may be an easy clear, but honestly ACEX is even easier on the top course. Anyhow you can come back and complain about not having access to the higher difficulty version after you make Dark Helios and Great Thing your bitch.

I doubt the game will ever get ported, but you never know.
alamone wrote:Just FYI, respawning with an ARM in DBAC only happens on easy route (upper route in both regular and harder modes).
In all other routes you respawn without an ARM.
You mean the upper route of any given difficulty tier? I tried both easy routes and I could have sworn I was also getting the shield on the lower route after death. Maybe I wasn't then. That would explain why it seemed so much harder than the top course despite being "easy" tier. That Turtle was fuckin' me up.
Sinful

Post by Sinful »

Yesturday was my frst day I really started giving Darius II via MAME some serious playtime. And the restart force was really strong with me that day. :lol: Plus it also was the day I fully switched to playing this game on normal difficulty only, so had to make some adjustments. Because I don't know how missed this, but playing on Easy also yields more popwerups just like in Darius 1 (getting angled forward green lazer & spread shot earlier made a big difference).

But after a ton of playtime yesturday, I think I can say I can consistently enough make it to level 5 (Earth/K). Also, for some reason I though the high auto fire in the dip switch setting was something insane like 1 delay/30Hz. Since I though I heard this was one reason folks used as a defense to use auto fire cheat in Gaiden? But no, it's at reasonable/humanly possible rate of just a fractiion above 5 delay (something like 4. 75 delay). So yeah. I'm gonna switch to this rate as the game is getting harder, :roll: and I was previously messing around with 5, 6, just tapping, and even a 7 delay. :shock: ... What's rapid fire like in the Saturn version? Same?
Kollision wrote:All this talk about Darius Gaiden made me want to have another go at the game, so I played a few credits focusing on the lower route.
In my last credit I was quickly killed by Storm Causer's tail, halfway I was raped down to my last life by Fatty Glutton... I had forgotten how awesome the WARNING sign of a Darius game actually is!

The only problem is that I did it on the PS1 port, which is riddled with slowdown. And that surely makes the game easier... :roll:
Ah yes, you still haven't 1cc'ed the PS1 version. K, looking forward to it, and be sure to go in depth on describbing the differences! + more chit chat. ... Oh yes, and then G Darius ain't gonna be far off for you too. :D Want to see your thoughts & experience with that game badly as well. ... Hey, did you ever try Sagaia for MAME? If not, do so ASAP! Same goes for everyone else! ... Wait, there's also Sagaia for GameBoy too, as well as a remixed Darius 1 for GBA. Do you have these? Are you even plannning on these portable games? You do have a PSP section, after all...

And yes, Kollision is joining in on the Darius love too. The circle is now complete. 8)
ACSeraph wrote:*snip, snip, snip... snip*
Yeah, I really appreciate Burst a lot more now. Though yesturday I dedicated all time to Darius II, so no Burst...

Oh, and DON'T CREDIT FEED!! This game is so awesome, try to make it last as long as possible, :D I even started this with Darius II by turning off continues so as not to get tempted (only using remainder of lives left). ... Well, you don't have to, but give it some more thought on how to get the most out of these games given your personal preferences. Cause you know, it's so awsome & stuff. :)

For part II the upper route seemed the easiest, but now that I've fully switched to normal (since my feet are wet enough now. Time to get serious >_< ... >_>;;), it may be a different story? However I still think level B is easier then C. The only reason I can think against it is the last boss.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Credit-feeding in Darius II is a pretty futile gesture, since one death more or less ends a run (though this is not always the case - sometimes recovery can happen). However, I still do it, mainly because I usually lose my credit at the Mars stage and want to see the end of the game/practice Jupiter.

Also, as I said, the traditionally-easiest route in Darius II is:

ABEIHMRX

Mars and Jupiter are still difficult stages no matter how you slice it, but some are more forgiving than others.
MathU

Post by MathU »

ACSeraph wrote:You mean those white crescent looking bullets along with the big green wave or the basic shot?
The same bullets in either case. Going through the game with only the basic triple white bullet shot would actually be a viable strategy if not for the importance of piercing things throughout the game.
ACSeraph wrote:Quick question though, I just figured out last night how to capture the midbosses. Really cool feature actually, strangely more satisfying than G Darius' method for me. But should I be doing it? Does it have any effect on the rank?
There actually is a very tiny adaptive difficulty increase associated with capturing minibosses rather than outright killing them but it's pretty much negligible.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

MathU wrote:The same bullets in either case. Going through the game with only the basic triple white bullet shot would actually be a viable strategy if not for the importance of piercing things throughout the game.
Ah I see. Yeah actually last night I was doing some experimentation and tried to see how far I could get using only the triple white shot. The bosses died really quick, but as you say the need to pierce screws you over. Would it be better to stick with the small green wave and 2 white bullets, or the big green wave with 2 angles white bullets you think. If I was reading the GD correctly, it seems like upgrading to the big wave won't affect the rank, only upgrading to an entirely new shot type.

Making progress slowly but surely though, after much experimentation I decided that indeed KAI's course is the best choice; saw the final boss for the first time last night.
Sinful wrote:But after a ton of playtime yesturday, I think I can say I can consistently enough make it to level 5 (Earth/K). Also, for some reason I though the high auto fire in the dip switch setting was something insane like 1 delay/30Hz. Since I though I heard this was one reason folks used as a defense to use auto fire cheat in Gaiden? But no, it's at reasonable/humanly possible rate of just a fractiion above 5 delay (something like 4. 75 delay). So yeah. I'm gonna switch to this rate as the game is getting harder, :roll: and I was previously messing around with 5, 6, just tapping, and even a 7 delay. :shock: ... What's rapid fire like in the Saturn version? Same?
The Saturn version has 3 options, 2, 10, and 30 IIRC. 10 is the default and that is what I'd stick with if I were you, because the shot limit makes 30 much too hard to control.

Also lets lay off the Gaiden auto-fire conversation a bit, it's not really a productive conversation.
Sinful wrote:
Kollision wrote:All this talk about Darius Gaiden made me want to have another go at the game, so I played a few credits focusing on the lower route.

Ah yes, you still haven't 1cc'ed the PS1 version.
Judging by Kollision's utterly badass high score thread performance I think it's safe to assume he's not only 1cc-ed but also completely made the game his bitch.

I'd love to see some videos actually if you have any Kollision.
Sinful wrote:I dedicated all time to Darius II, so no Burst...

Oh, and DON'T CREDIT FEED!!

Though as EmperorIng say's, it won't make much difference aside from maybe a little bit of pacifist practice. At some point I think I'll just switch to MAME to use state practice.
Sinful

Post by Sinful »

K, I finally unlocked Origin (Darius 1 ship) in Darius Burst by beating Burst mode (basically no miss run with what seems to be a pretty powerfull Gold shield? I like to call it Darius 1 shield 2.0). But dissapointingly the Darius 1 music don't happen in Acrade mode too like in Mission mode for the Origin ship. Darius 1 music rocks + with Burst graphics feels really awesome & nostalgic. It even sounds better.

May have 1cc'ed Arcade mode too? As I'm not sure if the default lives are supposed to be 3 in options mode? Can someone confirm? As I lost all lives in that run + the one 1up I found in the last stage. But anywho, yeah, I was getting pretty nervous by the end. People ever get used to this so that seating and heavy heartbeat don't happen?

Darius II didn't get much playtime due to Darius Burst this time. ... Plus I was pretty scared to get back to it after Darius Burt. >_>;;
EmperorIng wrote:Credit-feeding in Darius II is a pretty futile gesture, since one death more or less ends a run (though this is not always the case - sometimes recovery can happen). However, I still do it, mainly because I usually lose my credit at the Mars stage and want to see the end of the game/practice Jupiter..
Pretty much, but still gives you an idea of things to come, like enemy placement. Plus turning off continues in part II get's rid of countdown timer so I can restart faster. :wink:

And hey, hurry up and start some Darius soon! ... before I 1cc 'em all (yeah right :lol:) ... And what about MathU? He playing any Darius? It'd be something is we could get the whole forum in on it, but fat chance, as this game seems pretty tough to get into unless it's at the Arcade center?
ACSeraph wrote:Ain't nobody got time fo dat
What? Really? That sucks. Guess I should consider myself very lucky that I do. ... Well wait, I still got a crapload of games on my to play list, so not really, but I can never rush a game I'm really into (cause I want the great feelings to last forever) + always look for games/series that totally absorb me in so much that I can't imagine playing any other game/series (my record was 10 months straight with no job slowing me down playing just one game. Best time of my gaming life right there. Given it some time off for a glories return).

And oh no, the Darius Gaiden auto fire has it's own topic. No way it better get here & elsewhere anymore since there's now one for it. As I don't even want to know what else is being posted there since my last post. What I said here is very valid for Darius II. Don't mistake me on this, please.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Sinful wrote:May have 1cc'ed Arcade mode too? As I'm not sure if the default lives are supposed to be 3 in options mode? Can someone confirm? As I lost all lives in that run + the one 1up I found in the last stage. But anywho, yeah, I was getting pretty nervous by the end. People ever get used to this so that seating and heavy heartbeat don't happen?
Yeah default is 3 lives. As for being nervous it depends on the game for me. I get a good rush in just about anything on the first 1cc (aside from really easy shit like iOS shmups). But as for the heavy heartbeat and nerves and stuff, I only get that on the really hard stuff that I've been working at for a long time. Like my first Caladrius 1ccs were definitely like that, because they took so much practice, the game is long, and the last stage is brutally intense. Didn't get that feeling from Darius Burst, probly because it didn't take much effort to 1cc, less than a week of practice compared to about 2 months for Caladrius.
Sinful wrote:Pretty much, but still gives you an idea of things to come, like enemy placement. Plus turning off continues in part II get's rid of countdown timer so I can restart faster. :wink:
Seriously!? I hope that works on the Saturn version, if so I'm gonna set my life count to one and continues to off so I can restart quickly when I practice. That unskipable death counter has put my Saturn in serious danger of being thrown out the window.
Sinful wrote:
ACSeraph wrote:Ain't nobody got time fo dat
What? Really? That sucks. Guess I should consider myself very lucky that I do.
Indeed. My busy schedule is actually one of the reasons I play so many shmups and fighters. I actually really love RPGs, but now with my life and job my time for them is too limited. Shmups are perfect for having all the epic-ness of Mass Effect distilled into 20 minutes of ultra intense gameplay. But to get the most out of them, I need to keep my practice efficient.
MathU

Post by MathU »

ACSeraph wrote:Would it be better to stick with the small green wave and 2 white bullets, or the big green wave with 2 angles white bullets you think. If I was reading the GD correctly, it seems like upgrading to the big wave won't affect the rank, only upgrading to an entirely new shot type.
You should power up to the red wave level because the increased area of your weapon and the little tracking shots are extremely helpful. The small center green wave actually does a very slight bit more damage than the big green wave and big red wave but it’s not good for tackling levels. That’s just a myth someone invented based on misinterpreting the difficulty increase associated with grabbing more red medals when at max power (or maybe projecting Battle Garegga's infamous system onto the game). Weapon power level itself has no effect whatsoever on adaptive difficulty. What largely adds to the difficulty modifier is picking up power-ups when you’re already maxed on something.
Sinful wrote:And what about MathU? He playing any Darius? It'd be something is we could get the whole forum in on it, but fat chance, as this game seems pretty tough to get into unless it's at the Arcade center?
I actually did beat Darius again the the other night. All this Darius discussion has gotten me playing some of the games again. Not as hard as I remember it being, but then I didn't know about the autofire DIP setting back then. I've also been making some casual attempts to try and beat my Darius Gaiden high score again.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

That feeling when you are a couple shots away from killing the final boss and getting the auto-off 1cc in Darius Gaiden only to stupidly run into a something and game over with 2 fucking bombs in stock...

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Haha love the limited edition that includes a fish :lol:
Sinful

Post by Sinful »

K, been messing around a bit with Darius Gaiden Extra version just a bit (me no make it past level 1 boss >_>;;) + to figure out something. In this game original Darius Gaiden autofire seems to be "1C." Though I'm not sure how feasible it would be for the remixed one player mode? I'd sure like to try it after 1cc'ing all paths of the original Gaiden first, since I'd be much more skilled & hungrier for extra challenge by then too. That, and it might be more possible for the "2nd player all levels mode" of the Extra version too? If not, I also figured out that 5 delay = "2C" and 4 delay = "34." So if I get tired of tapping too much in some runs, I could also maybe resort to these settings?

And MathU. It seems this game has the rank numbers in that debug menu too? So perfect way to test out how rank works in this game, but you probably already know this? Though keep in mind that some stuff like you capturing a Captain may not add into rank until after a level is complete? Amoung who knows what else? Either way, this version is like the ultimate fan service to all Darius fans. And one I'm gonna try very hard to save for last when it comes to mastering Darius series (also gonna try to do so for original Gaiden, since I'm pretty sure this is gonna end up as my fave Darius?).

K, I've been slacking a bit too much on my Darius II practice. Gonna hope another excellent binge happens today?
ACSeraph wrote:That feeling when you are a couple shots away from killing the final boss and getting the auto-off 1cc in Darius Gaiden only to stupidly run into a something and game over with 2 fucking bombs in stock...

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Wow, your that close already!! :shock: ... And guess you've about given up on part II? At least for now... And hey, after beating all paths in Darius Bust with the "NEXT" ship, do you plan on doing the same with the other/harder two ships as well? (You need to beat Burst mode to get "Origin/Darius 1" ship) I know that the plan for me. Even in Burst mode.
ProcoTaito

Post by ProcoTaito »

This is a great post! Too bad I came in so late.
I have the Darius Rebirth Zuntata box set. If that shows my love any.

I'll have to get a picture of it sometime.
It's a sweet box set for sure!
A Silverhawk pilot says....
I always wanted a thing called tuna sashimi!!
MathU

Post by MathU »

Sinful wrote:K, been messing around a bit with Darius Gaiden Extra version just a bit (me no make it past level 1 boss >_>;;) + to figure out something. In this game original Darius Gaiden autofire seems to be "1C."
1C is actually a tiny bit slower than the original default autofire; however, the next step up at 20 is much faster. There is no value you can select that perfectly replicates the original autofire setup.
Sinful wrote:Though I'm not sure how feasible it would be for the remixed one player mode? I'd sure like to try it after 1cc'ing all paths of the original Gaiden first, since I'd be much more skilled & hungrier for extra challenge by then too. That, and it might be more possible for the "2nd player all levels mode" of the Extra version too?
It’s totally fine for the remixed mode, and I’m sure the all-levels mode can be beaten with it too. By around the middle of an all-levels playthrough you’re almost certainly going to have to start bombing though. The all-levels mode, however, presents you with 9 possible extra ship icons as opposed to only being able to find 2 in a standard playthrough, so it sort of balances out the maxed difficulty.
Sinful wrote:It seems this game has the rank numbers in that debug menu too? So perfect way to test out how rank works in this game, but you probably already know this? Though keep in mind that some stuff like you capturing a Captain may not add into rank until after a level is complete?
The difficulty modifier shown under “game level” in the Edit mode only shows you the first two hexidecimal digits (0 – FF) of a 6-digit memory address (XXXXXX) where the value is stored. Stuff like capturing a miniboss or even picking up a power-up medal when maxed in an early level won’t show up right away on it unless you’re already close to XXFFFF. Whenever you bump the difficulty modifier up to the next level the changes always happens instantly though. One of the ways you can see this is by fighting a boss with a lot of body parts and destroying the parts--the projectiles it launches at you will eventually pretty obviously change in frequency and/or size.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

ProcoTaito wrote:This is a great post! Too bad I came in so late.
I have the Darius Rebirth Zuntata box set. If that shows my love any.

I'll have to get a picture of it sometime.
It's a sweet box set for sure!
It's never too late for Darius Love my friend. What's in the box set? That sounds pretty awesome. Upload the pic whenever you have time
Sinful wrote:
ACSeraph wrote:That feeling when you are a couple shots away from killing the final boss and getting the auto-off 1cc in Darius Gaiden only to stupidly run into a something and game over with 2 fucking bombs in stock...

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Wow, your that close already!! :shock: ... And guess you've about given up on part II? At least for now... And hey, after beating all paths in Darius Bust with the "NEXT" ship, do you plan on doing the same with the other/harder two ships as well? (You need to beat Burst mode to get "Origin/Darius 1" ship) I know that the plan for me. Even in Burst mode.
Yeah, I wouldn't call it easy for sure, but an auto-off survival run in Gaiden doesn't appear to be nearly as difficult as it's occasionally made out to be. The ability to bomb spam your way through difficult sections makes it much easier than the older games. Like on bosses you can bomb and use the invincibility to stand right on top of the boss and mash like a mad man point blanking with all your missiles and firepower at once. Things go down really fast that way in the upper courses. It feels good too, like you bomb and then for a few short seconds rush up there and pound on the controller like a super saiyan; really feels like you are literally beating the shit out of the boss :lol:

As for II I haven't given up actually, I played more last night a bit before my Gaiden run. Made it to stage 5 this time on one credit. Once you get the angled lasers and the wider shot the game becomes immensely easier. It's just that doing it blind is mostly impossible regardless of your power level so I ended up having my first death at stage 4's crab boss. I managed to kill him and get to stage 5, but it was impossible to make any progress because I was doing it blind and my ship had been rendered useless by the crab. I was satisfied with the run though, just a matter of practicing and getting used to the stages I think. Stage 2 is way unbalanced though, much too hard so early in the game with so few powerups, but I've mostly got it down.

I may do the other ships in burst and I may not, just depends on whether I feel like it or not and whether I enjoy playing them. I doubt I'll mess with Origin much though since my favorite part of the game is the laser.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Finally got my auto-off Gaiden clear! Awesome game; so glad I decided to take the difficult road to doing it. It might have been the easiest course but I'm proud of the clear :D

Didn't have my first death until the very last stage, but I bomb spammed through Neon Light Illusion and Risk Storage. Other bosses I can get through without too much trouble. Also I can't find the extend in stage Q... is there one? Where is it?
MathU

Post by MathU »

You know that part in the stage where there's 4 cannons arranged vertically between sets of those wiggly blue blocks? The extra ship icon is tucked away under the bottom set of blue blocks. It can seem dangerous to get but remember that your ship can fly right through the blocks without being harmed.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Woah, you can just pass through those jello blocks? Insane! That makes that level 5x easier.

AC, your clear mirrors mine in many ways, esp. bomb-spamming Neon Light Illusion and Risk Storage. You know how it goes. Hawks gotta fly, and fish gotta die.