Where the Darius Love at?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
klausien

Re: Where the Darius Love at?

Post by klausien »

PC Engine Darius Plus HuCard or Super Darius CD. The latter has a high quality version of the arcade soundtrack, but both are the same great single screen port.

The recent MD versions are so great, and are a long daydreamed of complement to the classic port of the sequel I’ve always liked the MD Darius 2/Sagaia despite its deficiencies.

The NEC Avenue PCE Super Darius 2 is cool too, especially due to its unique soundtrack. Overall it’s so different from the arcade that it’s more of a remake than a port.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Just to add to that, there is another major difference between Plus and Super: the former lost a few bosses from the arcade game but also gained a few*, bringing the total up to 16, whereas the latter has everything from the arcade game and Plus, plus a couple from Darius II, for a total of 26.

*perhaps confusingly, the ones it gained were planned for the original arcade game but ultimately cut.
Last edited by Klatrymadon on Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steven

Post by Steven »

MD Darius Extra is almost certainly the single best version of the game; given a choice, I don't see any reason to choose any other home version over it unless you don't have a Mega Drive, and I am of the opinion that it's better than the arcade version as well.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Yeah, lacking access to a 3-screen cabinet it's definitely my favourite version to play these days. It has none of the dead air of the PC Engine conversions, and while it's not an incredibly tough clear, it's the most aggressive and thrilling version of the game, if only because the 'sniper' enemies are now practically point-blanking you. :P
davyK

Post by davyK »

AGermanArtist wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:30 pm Davy K from The Bear and Badger/Edge?
Yes. :)
AGermanArtist wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:30 pm Anyone know another way to play OG Darius on one screen (not zoomed out) other than the MD version? (which is great on PS5 btw)
The MD version is the only one I'm aware of - as said earlier it's a superb conversion. I think it's a better game than the original which traded on the novelty of the cabinet.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Just noticed a Japanese player on YouTube discussing a handful of small but significant differences between the domestic and overseas versions of G-Darius, something I'd never even thought about before despite regional differences being extremely common for arcade games. It got me wondering about how this is handled in G-Darius HD, since the port makes no mention of the regional version you're playing and doesn't include an option to switch between them, and yet the leaderboards are very much international and all-encompassing. Are Japanese and 'overseas' players now playing essentially the same version with the appropriate localisation, or are the leaderboards actually throwing together two subtly different versions? (Or is this person wrong? They don't sound like they're talking shite...)
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

At least some of those changes, like alpha beam cancelling grenades, are also in the PS version. On the M2 port it's the Japanese arcade revision. You can see the typical "for use in Japan only" start up screen even on the Western copy. Although the little instruction card that explains the B button will default to the language you're using.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Cheers! Yeah, that's what I was hoping. I played the Playstation version for the first time since the M2 port came out last night and (because I've been playing the newer one a lot) it really threw off my routing, despite being the version I've spent the most time with over the decades. It's not just that it has more slowdown, which affects your timing on all sorts of things, but that the framerate gets bogged down and 'unlocks' again at completely different points. It's definitely still a fair bit easier for the most part, but it will cause trainwrecks if you've played any other version recently. :lol:
caincan

Post by caincan »

Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Beautiful. Seeing more and more of those 'countersunk' sticks of late and really wishing I had one, but the pre-built desks are too rich for my blood. This one looks like a great DIY job!
ryu

Post by ryu »

Are there significant differences between Darius MD on the Mini console and the Extra Version cartridge release?
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

@Klatrymadon, he sells these in Japan. Looks pretty pricy though and now there's the Qanba version

https://islands.sakura.ne.jp/imo-cen/product.html

It's funny I kind of became accustomed to arcade stick on lap style to the point where idk if I would rather play on those now or not.
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

ryu wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:41 am Are there significant differences between Darius MD on the Mini console and the Extra Version cartridge release?
From what I read, it was mostly tweaks to the sound driver and whatnot to get it more arcade accurate than what was on the Genesis Mini. So they did do some updates to it in that area. I think there were some other tweaks, but I can't remember any specifics at the moment.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Cheers, Rastan - those look excellent! The one for the original HRAP panel is inspired. But yeah, I could never justify trying to get one.

In addition to the tweaks mentioned by Coop, the big difference between the original Mega Drive Mini release of Darius and the later Darius Extra Version is that the former only features a Normal* mode and a Boss Rush mode, whereas the latter has all of the arcade revisions (Old, New and Extra) more or less faithfully represented, in addition to more nuanced autofire options. Both feature the ability to toggle between the original number of bosses and the expanded roster of 26 from Super Darius.

*I haven't played this older release in ages so I couldn't say which version of the arcade game Normal corresponds to, but it probably isn't Extra...
ryu

Post by ryu »

Okay, I was just worried that the former mini release may not be a full game compared to the extra version. Doesn't sound like I'm missing out on too much though. Thanks!
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

The NEC Avenue Super Darius 2 port has built-in support for the 2-speaker setup with the Roland Sound Space (RSS) layout being that the speakers are placed at a certain 20 degree angle in relation to the player's seating position as to deliver that "sweet spot" of fully-realized 3-D spatial immersive audio experience in full 44.1kHz redbook audio awesomeness -- this type of audio setup was quite something to behold, especially with PCE CD-based games back in the early 1990s indeed. This same RSS sound system method works equally well with the PCE Super-CD-Rom2 stg title of Gradius II GoFer as well. (Even the PCE Super CD-Rom2 game title of Konami's Snatcher supports RSS also.)

Simply hook up a good PC-based 2.0 or 2.1 powered speaker setup to your favorite PCE-based console with either PCE CD title and you're good to go in that particular department. Your ears will thank you for doing so -- easy as pie.

In fact, all three PCE Super CD-Rom2 titles of SD-2, G2-GF & Snatcher still support the RSS 3D spatial sound placement method if you use a Krikzz Turbo Everdrive Pro + EDFX add-on setup, How cool is that? Just use a MD2/SG2 Euro Scart with C-Sync cable with L&R RCA audio breakout cable hooked up to a powered speaker setup.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:42 pm How cool is that?
Have you ever considered trademarking this phrase? I always enjoy seeing it in your posts!
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

SavagePencil wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:41 pm
Have you ever considered trademarking this phrase? I always enjoy seeing it in your posts!
For SavagePencil,

A custom T-Shirt with that little phrase silk-screened printed would be even better, right? Sure made my day with that positive amd uplifting post, SavagePencil.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:52 pm
SavagePencil wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:41 pm
For SavagePencil,

A custom T-Shirt with that little phrase silk-screened printed would be even better, right? Sure made my day with that positive amd uplifting post, SavagePencil.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
I appreciate your passion and enthusiasm for not just the games but the holistic experiencing of the games. Your uncanny ability to remember exactly where and when you played a game and what it did to make that experience memorable is great. I can say “dude I remember seeing a 3-screen Darius at the shitty arcade near my dad’s office sometime in the late 80s, I think” but yours are much more vivid and convey the what and why.

How cool is that? Very.
ryu

Post by ryu »

I'm playing the Mega Drive port, it's my first time playing a Darius game and I'm a little in disbelief of how difficult this game is. Is that just how Darius is or were they too faithful to the original when porting? I feel like this game be much more manageable if I had another screen to the left to give me more time to position myself and to deal with incoming waves before engaging the turrets. It's a bit insane how much stuff this game throws at the player.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

The Coop wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:59 pm
ryu wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:41 am Are there significant differences between Darius MD on the Mini console and the Extra Version cartridge release?
From what I read, it was mostly tweaks to the sound driver and whatnot to get it more arcade accurate than what was on the Genesis Mini. So they did do some updates to it in that area. I think there were some other tweaks, but I can't remember any specifics at the moment.
Going by what I remember in a Discord conversation, The Extra version has three modes based on the old, new, and extra versions that are all different from the earlier MD version, which plays more like Darius Plus. The hitbox for the shield was adjusted to be closer to the arcade, IIRC. The Extra version for MD is definitely the better version.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Having the additional screens on the original Darius actually makes it a bit of a pain to play, especially (mostly?) because of the shot limit; if your shots miss, it might be a while before you can shoot again. Having spent some time playing the Darius cabinet at Mikado, I'm pretty confident that the arcade version is a "spectacle first, fun gameplay later" type of thing. The triple screens are cool, until you discover that it's more of an annoyance. MD version is almost certainly the best version of the game.

Cool audio on the cabinet, though. You can't replicate the audio on the cabinet at home unless you buy the Cozmic Collection on PC; the modern console versions can't do it because they don't have that functionality, just the PC version.
ryu

Post by ryu »

Thanks! Let's see how long I can last then. Good to know the arcade version isn't worth playing for the gameplay, I might have bought the cozmic collection for that specifically otherwise.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I wouldn't say arcade Darius gameplay is actually bad, but I would probably say that it isn't exactly great. You'll be fine if you are careful with the shot limit and don't miss. Cozmic Collection is worth it if you want to play Darius II or Gaiden, unless you want the triple screen version of II, which is not included but is available on ACA.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

I still find the original game a lot of fun to play on its own merits, but I would say it's mechanically closer to Scramble than any of its mid-/late-80s contemporaries, which is maybe why it doesn't captivate as many new players these days. Apart from learning the bosses, most of your time is going to be spent managing ground/ceiling targets, watching your shot limit, and trying to clear full enemy waves for score. This is more than enough to hold my interest from moment to moment, but YMMV.

As an audiovisual experience, it's unmissable - there's nothing else like it, even in its own series.
Ishmokin

Post by Ishmokin »

Me too I enjoy Darius 1 (old version) a lot. Its my current favorite in the franchise. The 3 screen is not just a novelty, I appreciate the ganeplay where you can be aggressive in the front most side or you have to move back o dodge the bullets. Nice art direction and the gameplay quite addicting once you learn the game. Getting the 1cc for the 1st time ever and done on an orginial cab ( at Hey akihabara) was THE best gaming experience for me ever. I planned that trip to japan to do just that and its quite unforgettable. Playing on the DBAC cabs and doing 1ccs there also is a must experience for any shmup fan. On the plane to Japan, I would practice on the Switch port, and even weeks before in preparation for the visit to hey. Couldnt get the 1cc on the cozmic collection port at that time so it was extra special when I did the 1cc on the actual cab.