3rd Bay Area shmupmeet in San Jose, CA on Sat., Oct. 29, '05

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
BER

3rd Bay Area shmupmeet in San Jose, CA on Sat., Oct. 29, '05

Post by BER »

3rd Bay Area Shmupmeet in San Jose, California
Saturday, October 29, 2005 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Dave_K. is hosting his third shmupmeet at his house in San Jose, California. Plan now to participate in this meet and take advantage of playing your favorite shmups in a unique arcade atmosphere.

Attendance

Attendees, please bring three to five dollars to this shmupmeet by 12:30 p.m. Dave will be using the money to buy pizza and soda from Little Caesars. You may also bring other refreshments.

Do you want to attend? Be sure to post your intention of attending in this thread, so Dave can send you a private message of directions to his house.

Competitions

To be determined. The following are some possible competitions:
  • A gaming triathlon featuring DoDonPachi, DoDonPachi II: Bee Storm, and DoDonPachi DAI-OU-JOU.
  • Head-to-head battles on collecting the most 5-chips in the first stage of Ketsui.
  • A gaming marathon on being the best overall player for some selection of games.
Game Information

Currently, the following games are available in the following gaming setups:
  • Namco Exceleena Blue Cab (MAME or Dreamcast): (used for MAME traning or Dreamcast vertical games)
  • Sega Astro City 2 Cab (Arcade)
    • Before lunch: 1944: The Loop Master + Progear
    • After lunch: Ketsui + 19XX, DDP DOJ, ESPGaluda
  • Konami Windy 2 Cab (PlayStation 2): Raiden III, Mushihimesama, DDP DOJ, ESPGaluda
  • Konami Windy Cab (Arcade): DoDonPachi + DoDonPachi II: Bee Storm
  • Midway NBA Showtime Cab (PlayStation 2): Gigawing Generations, Gradius V, Twinkle Star Sprites: La Petite Princesse
  • Midway NBA Jam Cab (Arcade): Smash TV + Total Carnage
  • 36" VGA Monitor (any console): (open to miscellaneous PC, PlayStation, and PlayStation 2 games)
Please let BER know about the changes he should make to this list.

If you'd like, you may bring your own games, consoles, peripherals, and other equipment to this shmupmeet. Please post a message about the items you intend to bring, so Dave can check whether he can accommodate for them.

Contacting Us

Do you have any remarks about this shmupmeet? Just post a message in this thread!
Last edited by BER on Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:20 am, edited 4 times in total.
Bernard A. DORIA (retired)
BER

Post by BER »

Dave_K. mentioned in the second shmupmeet that he can host the next shmupmeet in a few months. But I think we can talk about the next shmupmeet starting now. :)

We forgot to take a group picture in the second meet, and we didn't include a few attendees in the first meet. Of course, we want to include as many people as we can in the group shot. How should we make sure we get a group picture of everyone next time? I think we should schedule this picture sometime during lunch time when everyone wants refreshments.

Also, we were thinking about holding a contest, possibly with entry fees and prizes. Do you guys like this idea? If so, how should we go about with this contest?
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

I think some competition at the next shmupmeet would do us all some good in raising our collective skill levels. Of course we should start small, a single game to practice for now, maybe a couple dollars for entrance fee with 1st/2nd/3rd prizes being a percentage of the pot. We may want to think about a handicapping procedure since we have a couple ringers that would make competition unfair to less expierenced players. The game we pick should be accessable to all (via mame or console or pcb) so people can practice up....just thowing out ideas here.
BER

Post by BER »

If people are interested in the competition, I think we should set up a time to meet in order to brainstorm some ideas. We shouldn't brainstorm in a forum, because ideas are generated too slowly, and people are too quick to judge other people's ideas. But we can brainstorm in a chat room, over the telephone, in person, or through any other form of communication in which we can generate a hundred or so ideas in a few hours.

By the way, I am starting to get a little interested in the competition. Perhaps a brainstorming session would help me bolster my interest.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Is there a shmups IRC chatroom which people on this board frequent?
DirtyMonk

Post by DirtyMonk »

I would definitely be interested. It would be nice to just focus on one game at a time and get really good at it for once. Anybody know how to start an IRC chat room? If not, a simple AIM/MSN/Yahoo Messenger chatroom would do for me. I would prefer to meet in person, but since some members live really far, it wouldn't be worth it for them to drive all the way over just to brainstorm.
BER

Post by BER »

Dave_K. wrote:Is there a shmups IRC chatroom which people on this board frequent?
A few on this board visit #shmups on the EFnet servers.

If we should communicate over IRC, I think it's a good idea to create our own chat room, though. That way, the chat coordinator (possibly me :) ) can have more control over the brainstorming session.
BER

Post by BER »

Callused Thumb wrote:I would definitely be interested. It would be nice to just focus on one game at a time and get really good at it for once. Anybody know how to start an IRC chat room?
Using mIRC in the EFnet servers, you would type the following command:

/join #[your channel name here]

If no one has already created that room yet, then you'll start the room as the moderator. I don't know how it works on other IRC programs or other IRC servers.
Callused Thumb wrote:If not, a simple AIM/MSN/Yahoo Messenger chatroom would do for me.
I have AIM already (but I don't use it for idle chatter), and I can download other instant messengers for this brainstorming session.
Callused Thumb wrote:I would prefer to meet in person, but since some members live really far, it wouldn't be worth it for them to drive all the way over just to brainstorm.
I would also like to meet in person, because we can use the entire room to draw pictures and make long lists. I don't know how to do these over the Internet, yet.

If the people who are interested in this brainstorming session happen to live close enough to one another, then I suggest we try to meet in person. Otherwise, we can try to make an Internet brainstorming session work.
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

I really like the competition idea. Choosing a game might be tough though.
BIG

Post by BIG »

Sounds good.

We should all get together on AIM or conference call and discuss this or something.

B-
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

I will be on IRC tonight around 8pm PST, if anyone wants to discuss Bay Area shmupmeet competition and other ideas. (EFnet servers, #shmups room).

[edit] Meeting time now over, thanks for the feedback BER, we will discuss some more. [/edit]
shariar07

Post by shariar07 »

Hi guys are we going to have another shmupmeets. Are we going to have competitions for professionals and stuff like that, will be cool. Dave_K give me a buzz whenever your free and want to play some shmuppers
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

I'm pretty much unavailable every weekend now until the current semester ends. :( Thanks for the support, I definately want to start having competitions, and a more regular schedule (like once a month). Still working out the details though, and need to gague peoples interest.
SNKJorge

Post by SNKJorge »

Would you guys take a new guest?
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

SNKJorge wrote:Would you guys take a new guest?
Sure, keep an eye on this thread for the next shmupmeet (not sure when that will be though ;-)).
BIG

Post by BIG »

Here's hoping the next one happens soon.

Chalk me up,Dave.

B-
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

BIG wrote: Chalk me up,Dave.
Wow, you'd seriously make another trip up from LA? Maybe you can convince iconsx to come up with you too? :D
BIG

Post by BIG »

Dave_K. wrote:
Wow, you'd seriously make another trip up from LA? Maybe you can convince iconsx to come up with you too? :D
Perhaps,but due to his busy schedule,I doubt he'd be able to make it.

B-
kage 8

Post by kage 8 »

BIG wrote:
Dave_K. wrote:

B-
HELLA!

:lol:
pixelcorps

Post by pixelcorps »

count me in.. you never know, I might be able to bring over my secret project if I make more progress!
BIG

Post by BIG »

kage 8 wrote:
BIG wrote:
Dave_K. wrote: Wow, you'd seriously make another trip up from LA? Maybe you can convince iconsx to come up with you too? :D

B-
HELLA!

:lol:
You got it all wrong,d00d.

It's "HOLLA" for you norcal kids.

G-G-G-G-Unit!! :lol:

B-
Last edited by BIG on Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BIG

Post by BIG »

pixelcorps wrote:count me in.. you never know, I might be able to bring over my secret project if I make more progress!

:shock:

Whoa! I'll be there for sure,if that's the case!

B-
kage 8

Post by kage 8 »

BIG wrote:
pixelcorps wrote:count me in.. you never know, I might be able to bring over my secret project if I make more progress!

:shock:

Whoa! I'll be there for sure,if that's the case!

B-
It's going to be "Snake II" for his cell phone. 8)
Gozur

Post by Gozur »

Let me know when and I'll show. Shit it might be the only chance to give Kage 8 the stuff I owe him...
-Goz

NAOMI games: Border Down, Ikaruga, Trizeal, Chaos Field, Heavy Metal
Atomiswave: Dolphin Blue, Demolish Fist, Rumble Fish, Knights of Valour
Cabs: Crown powered by DC, Windy powered by Saturn & DC, Cyberlead
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Looks like I just got free'd up the last weekend of this month. How does Saturday the 29th sound to people?
Gozur

Post by Gozur »

I can make it
-Goz

NAOMI games: Border Down, Ikaruga, Trizeal, Chaos Field, Heavy Metal
Atomiswave: Dolphin Blue, Demolish Fist, Rumble Fish, Knights of Valour
Cabs: Crown powered by DC, Windy powered by Saturn & DC, Cyberlead
BIG

Post by BIG »

Dave_K. wrote:Looks like I just got free'd up the last weekend of this month. How does Saturday the 29th sound to people?
I might be able to make it...I'll give you a call.

B-
shariar07

Post by shariar07 »

My brother and i can make it too, sounds great.
BER

Post by BER »

Dave_K. wrote:Looks like I just got free'd up the last weekend of this month. How does Saturday the 29th sound to people?
Sure, I am available on this day.
IlMrm

Post by IlMrm »

I can make it also. I'll bring drinks and various chips.

And Brian, I can give you a ride also.

More Mushi. :D